IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Free Spirit question - Spirit Pacts, How does a spirit tell how much karma someone has
pbangarth
post Dec 23 2011, 08:39 AM
Post #1

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

Spirit Pacts, or just karma deals, consist of a character giving karma to a spirit in exchange for something the spirit has. How does a spirit tell if the character has enough karma to make the deal worthwhile? If it is an Assensing test, how many hits would be needed?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Dec 23 2011, 01:31 PM
Post #2

Prime Runner Ascendant

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Dec 23 2011, 01:39 AM) *
Spirit Pacts, or just karma deals, consist of a character giving karma to a spirit in exchange for something the spirit has. How does a spirit tell if the character has enough karma to make the deal worthwhile? If it is an Assensing test, how many hits would be needed?

It is not an Assensing Test. It is an Up-Front Negotiation resulting in a Pact or a Deal. If the Character cannot pay the Karma (or whatever the pact requires) up front, then he does not benefit. It is just that simple.

+Quote Post
Jhaiisiin
post Dec 23 2011, 03:13 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 8,334

So basically the spirit doesn't know how much Karma you have to offer. He/She/it makes the offer, and if you can pay, go you. Elsewise, it moves on and you're SOL.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Dec 23 2011, 03:35 PM
Post #4

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Dec 23 2011, 08:13 AM) *
So basically the spirit doesn't know how much Karma you have to offer. He/She/it makes the offer, and if you can pay, go you. Elsewise, it moves on and you're SOL.

Essentially, Yes.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Dec 23 2011, 05:19 PM
Post #5

Old Man of the North

But even so, what would the measure be? How would the spirit know it had received 'enough karma'?

EDIT: Or would it be simply, "Give me all you got."

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Dec 23 2011, 05:28 PM
Post #6

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Dec 23 2011, 10:19 AM) *
But even so, what would the measure be? How would the spirit know it had received 'enough karma'?

EDIT: Or would it be simply, "Give me all you got."

It just does... *Shrug*
You are making a pact with a supernatural creature. It just knows. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
It is a game mechanic, not a narrative disclosure. You just bartered a part of your "life Force, Soul, or whatever you want to call it" for supernatural Ooomph... The one you barter with determines when he is satisfied. This is numerically resolved by Karma Exchange (or whatever) in game, mechanically.

+Quote Post
Jhaiisiin
post Dec 23 2011, 05:43 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 8,334

"I will grant you the power to move like the wind. In return, I ask that you allow me to benefit from the experiences of your mortal life. It is a fair offer, is it not?"

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Dec 23 2011, 05:44 PM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

QUOTE (Jhaiisiin @ Dec 23 2011, 01:43 PM) *
"I will grant you the power to move like the wind. In return, I ask that you allow me to benefit from the experiences of your mortal life. It is a fair offer, is it not?"
My group would still go, "I DON'T WANT ALICE COOPER TO EAT MY SOUL!!!"

But, yeah, for some types of characters, it does sound like a legit deal. Depends on how well you know the spirit, I guess.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Dec 23 2011, 08:00 PM
Post #9

Old Man of the North

The fluff is all well and good, and I am happy with the suggestions so far, as far as they go for an NPC Free Spirit. Jhaiisiin's quote is very much like how I envision such a negotiation transpiring.

But say you have a Free Spirit PC with the Power Pact spirit power. The player of the FSPC might be interested in knowing how the spirit can tell if the trade is worthwhile, or if the other guy is even worth talking to.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Dec 23 2011, 08:25 PM
Post #10

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Dec 23 2011, 01:00 PM) *
The fluff is all well and good, and I am happy with the suggestions so far, as far as they go for an NPC Free Spirit. Jhaiisiin's quote is very much like how I envision such a negotiation transpiring.

But say you have a Free Spirit PC with the Power Pact spirit power. The player of the FSPC might be interested in knowing how the spirit can tell if the trade is worthwhile, or if the other guy is even worth talking to.

Well, Any pact requires Karma equal to the FSPC's Edge x 10 (2x the BP Value). So, if the prospective Pacting Character cannot pony up the karma, he is a bad candidate. Unfortunately, the GM is in control of that, for NPC's at least. There is really no way (That I am aware of, mecahnically) for the Spirit to tell "if the client has any Karma."

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Dec 24 2011, 02:09 AM
Post #11

Old Man of the North

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 23 2011, 03:25 PM) *
Well, Any pact requires Karma equal to the FSPC's Edge x 10 (2x the BP Value).
I'm sorry, I don't understand or recognize this. Where does it come from?

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Dec 24 2011, 02:53 AM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Dec 23 2011, 07:09 PM) *
I'm sorry, I don't understand or recognize this. Where does it come from?

The quality in street magic. Picking up qualities in play costs twice the bp in karma

Also worth noting: The system already has mechanics in place for dealing with a karma debt, such as when a Latent X triggers - like Latent Awakening, or turning into a drake, or even acquiring HMHVV. Applying those rules to gaining a spirit pact would offer a short-term boost in power at the expense of a bunch of karma income.

For those who aren't familiar, you have to pay the debt off completely before you gain any more.
Its been my experience that its usually houseruled, so that paying off any debt takes half your income until its gone, which is a significant downside, but not AS crippling.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Dec 24 2011, 03:53 AM
Post #13

Old Man of the North

OK, but that explains what it costs to get the Quality after chargen. I'm talking about what it costs the recipient of a power from the FSPC to buy a 'service' from that Quality.

+Quote Post
Irion
post Dec 24 2011, 09:03 AM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 18,860

@Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Thats questionable. It you do not need to pay for restricted gear if you get your hands on a muscle toner 4 in game...
The rules for "ingame" spirit pacts do not even mention the quality. And since a spirit may break such a pact whenever he likes.....

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Dec 24 2011, 03:27 PM
Post #15

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Irion @ Dec 24 2011, 02:03 AM) *
@Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Thats questionable. It you do not need to pay for restricted gear if you get your hands on a muscle toner 4 in game...
The rules for "ingame" spirit pacts do not even mention the quality. And since a spirit may break such a pact whenever he likes.....

Possibly questionable, but Canon nonetheless.
Restricted Gear Quality is not applicable after game start, it is only to control character creation. There is a difference.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 04:15 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.