IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> So, do corporations participate in the Olympics?
Wakshaani
post Jan 2 2012, 02:49 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,629

Since we have corporate land and corporate citizenship, does, say, Mitsuhama field Olympic teams?

The idea of the Shiawase team trotting out on the field, waving the corporate logo... it feels *right*.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Jan 2 2012, 03:46 PM
Post #2

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

This is an awesome idea. I can't believe it hasn't been brought up yet, but I have to believe the answer is yes.

+Quote Post
Sticks
post Jan 2 2012, 04:32 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 4,923

According to Shadowbeat the Olympics was opened to multinational corporate teams in 2044 and winning a medal is worth big corp prestige. around a fifth of all medals are won by corporate ' Amateur ' athletes.

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Jan 2 2012, 05:32 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Sticks @ Jan 2 2012, 10:32 AM) *
According to Shadowbeat the Olympics was opened to multinational corporate teams in 2044 and winning a medal is worth big corp prestige. around a fifth of all medals are won by corporate ' Amateur ' athletes.

Remind me to kiss my copy of Shadowbeat again.

SUCH a good book.

+Quote Post
JongWK
post Jan 2 2012, 06:56 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 3,992

SotA 2064 has an Olympic Games update, including corporations (Yamatetsu) vying for the privilege of hosting them.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Jan 2 2012, 08:59 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

Don't see why not. The AAA corps are effectively countries in their own right in this game setting. Also, in skimming through Spy Games there's talk about the 2072 Winter Olympics being in Denver, with notes about Aztechnology trying to sneak their athletes into the games and Shiawase sponsoring a Shinto mission beforehand.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Jan 2 2012, 09:29 PM
Post #7

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

We've already confirmed they can field teams but the issue becomes would would want to? I mena from a 3rd world nation they certainly provide a source of training on a par with 1st world powers but would an American or Frenchman or German be as willing to compete for their job as they could their ocuntry. You can be fired from Novatech, you cannot be 'fired' from being a Frenchman or a German.

+Quote Post
post Jan 2 2012, 10:14 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 326

QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Jan 2 2012, 10:29 PM) *
...but would an American or Frenchman or German be as willing to compete for their job as they could their ocuntry. You can be fired from Novatech, you cannot be 'fired' from being a Frenchman or a German.

The NFL, NASCAR, NBA, Formula One, and NHL are all corporate organizations made up of professional athletes, whose numbers completely dwarf the national teams fielded for the Olympics. Nationalism isn't the only reason people compete: Ares would have no difficulty finding someone willing to run for them in exchange for money, never mind the satisfaction of competition.

+Quote Post
Paul
post Jan 2 2012, 10:45 PM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 1,514

That sums it up pretty well. The Olympics are a great way to garner some positive publicity, not to mention product placement opportunities. And that's just the legitimate side of things....

+Quote Post
Christian Lafay
post Jan 2 2012, 10:51 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,965

That would be an interesting run. "My client would like you to secure positions inside of the corporation and then try out for the Olympics. Each of you have been slated for the event(s) you would be suited best for. See attached files."

The shooting events would be INTENSE between the security teams.

+Quote Post
Paul
post Jan 2 2012, 10:54 PM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

It'd be a great way to scope out what kind of talent a corporation could produce as well.

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Jan 3 2012, 12:54 AM
Post #12

Shooting Target

HUGE PR move, you gotta think.

"Mr Rosa was a SINless child deep in the Redmond barrens when we found him. To Seattle, he was just another SINless waste of life. But here at Shiawase, we respect every member of our family and we know that each member brings a unique set of tools to the corporation. We gave him a chance ... he gave us a gold medal. Now, he's on teh cover of our magazines, on our news broadcasts, and starring in a new sim from our studio. Mr Rosa started with little more than the shirt on his back and now? Now he's a multimillionaire. Join the Shiawase family, and you might be the next Mr Rosa."

+Quote Post
Christian Lafay
post Jan 3 2012, 01:12 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (Wakshaani @ Jan 3 2012, 01:54 AM) *
HUGE PR move, you gotta think.

"Mr Rosa was a SINless child deep in the Redmond barrens when we found him. To Seattle, he was just another SINless waste of life. But here at Shiawase, we respect every member of our family and we know that each member brings a unique set of tools to the corporation. We gave him a chance ... he gave us a gold medal. Now, he's on teh cover of our magazines, on our news broadcasts, and starring in a new sim from our studio. Mr Rosa started with little more than the shirt on his back and now? Now he's a multimillionaire. Join the Shiawase family, and you might be the next Mr Rosa."

That actually made me want to join the company.

+Quote Post
post Jan 3 2012, 01:42 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

And in terms of views-per-nuyen, you can't put your logo anywhere more profitable than on the jersey [or fender] of the professional athlete of your choice. For, say, $10-15 million, you can sponsor a NASCAR team for a season, which means your logo on the car, on the driver's jumpsuit, on the hat worn by the driver during weekday interviews, your company name being said every time your car leads a lap or passes or gets passed in a notable way, and on race day, it'll be seen by 8+ million pairs of eyeballs, dozens of times. If you figure your logo is seen or your company name mentioned a mere 10 times during the race [an absurdly low estimate], that's 2,880,000,000 exposures for less than $15 million, or an astonishing 200-ish exposures per dollar. And that figure is likely off by an order of magnitude or more.

If corporations were allowed into the Olympics - as they are in Shadowrun - it would be big business, bigger business than the Olympics already are. Over 200 million people watched NBC's Olympic coverage in Beijing for more than six minutes: that's a lot of exposures for a comparatively small investment.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jan 3 2012, 03:42 AM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

QUOTE (Christian Lafay @ Jan 2 2012, 09:12 PM) *
That actually made me want to join the company.
That tells me just how much they want to use people for as much potential as possible for themselves.

+Quote Post
Christian Lafay
post Jan 3 2012, 03:59 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (CanRay @ Jan 3 2012, 04:42 AM) *
That tells me just how much they want to use people for as much potential as possible for themselves.

That as well, but being the kind of guy I am (on three medical research call lists) I'm OK with that.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Jan 3 2012, 07:11 AM
Post #17

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

QUOTE (Sticks @ Jan 2 2012, 09:32 AM) *

"Once again, for the 7th time running, Team Ares sweeps all the shooting events!"
"Well Bob, did they win any other medals?"
"No, they didn't complete in any other events."

+Quote Post
kzt
post Jan 3 2012, 07:24 AM
Post #18

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

QUOTE (3278 @ Jan 2 2012, 06:42 PM) *
For, say, $10-15 million, you can sponsor a NASCAR team for a season, which means your logo on the car, on the driver's jumpsuit, on the hat worn by the driver during weekday interviews, your company name being said every time your car leads a lap or passes or gets passed in a notable way, and on race day, it'll be seen by 8+ million pairs of eyeballs, dozens of times.

I think it is 10-20 million for a primary sponsor these days.

I've seen figures that a top team spends >400 million, but that is across their multiple drivers and the 20 or so cars they have.

How do you make a small fortune in racing? Start with a large fortune. ...

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Jan 3 2012, 07:37 AM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

QUOTE (kzt @ Jan 3 2012, 02:24 AM) *
How do you make a small fortune in racing? Start with a large fortune. ...

Yacht racing, too. "A boat is a hole in the water into which the owner tries to fill with money."

Hmmm... that makes me wonder: how do you think yacht racing is doing in the 6th World? It's a rich man's sport (and there's lots of rich execs that would love to have something to boast about) but at the same time, between the ecoterrorists, shadowrunners, and the Awakened aquatic life that think humans taste great, there's definitely an element of risk that wasn't there in the 5th.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jan 3 2012, 07:44 AM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Jan 3 2012, 03:37 AM) *
Yacht racing, too. "A boat is a hole in the water into which the owner tries to fill with money."
Tell that to the owners and operators of the "Bluenose". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
post Jan 3 2012, 05:56 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

QUOTE (kzt @ Jan 3 2012, 07:24 AM) *
I think it is 10-20 million for a primary sponsor these days.

A la carte, yes, but if you buy for the whole season, you can usually get it down around the figures I was quoting.

+Quote Post
Paul
post Jan 3 2012, 05:59 PM
Post #22

Neophyte Runner

Can someone sponsor me? I'm pretty cheap, even if I'm also useless. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) This is a fun topic-so how do people feel about corporate sponsored teams outside the AAA corporations. AA's? A's? Where do you see the lines being drawn?

+Quote Post
Christian Lafay
post Jan 3 2012, 06:57 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Sometimes I doubt things like NASCAR advertising work. Then I see the people at Target.

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Jan 3 2012, 07:00 PM
Post #24

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

QUOTE (Paul @ Jan 3 2012, 06:59 PM) *
Can someone sponsor me? I'm pretty cheap, even if I'm also useless. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) This is a fun topic-so how do people feel about corporate sponsored teams outside the AAA corporations. AA's? A's? Where do you see the lines being drawn?

It depends on whether augmentation (and adepts) are allowed.

If augmentations are allowed, then smaller biotech firms could use the Olympics to show off. Likewise, you could have adept societies competing against each other.

Sure, it violates the "pure human" idea, but if they're barred from the Olympics, they might set up a rival event, perhaps Ultimate Olympics, where they use superhuman performance to make the Olympics look cute but small and limited, kind of like how ice hockey cramps the attempts of figure skating to look manly...

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jan 3 2012, 08:00 PM
Post #25

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Christian Lafay @ Jan 3 2012, 02:57 PM) *
Sometimes I doubt things like NASCAR advertising work. Then I see the people at Target.
My character, Nas, drove the 711 Stuffer Shack car. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:26 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.