Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Open call to artists doing free commisions
Xahn Borealis
post Jan 6 2012, 01:50 AM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,007

Title says it all. I have about five characters I'd like artwork done of. Any takers?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Jan 6 2012, 02:30 AM
Post #2

Shooting Target

PM me if you like.

+Quote Post
Method
post Jan 6 2012, 11:46 AM
Post #3

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

And also please consider submissions to Dumpshock Datahaven! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jan 6 2012, 02:44 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

Honestly, I'd refer you to Tryst Entangled who does really cheap, really nice, sketches. $10 for a sketch, $30 for flat color. Guarantees to have it done within 24 hours of receiving payment (or you get a free sketch).

I'd link some examples, but frankly, most of them are NSFW.

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Jan 6 2012, 02:57 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,749

I checked them by myself a and i totally agree. ^^ His sketches are good, but to much anime for my pleasure. I would also be interested into a custom-made picture.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jan 6 2012, 03:04 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Jan 6 2012, 09:57 AM) *
I checked them by myself a and i totally agree. ^^ His sketches are good, but to much anime for my pleasure. I would also be interested into a custom-made picture.

A commission is a custom-made picture. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

But if the "too anime" turns you off, then it turns you off. You could always send him a note saying, "Hey, can you do something in a rougher style?" and describe what you're after. He'll either say he can, or he can't. Most artists are up for a challenge.

+Quote Post
ShadowJackal
post Jan 6 2012, 04:36 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 40,831

Friendly artist PSA: Please pay artists. No one works for free, find an artist, toss him or her a few bucks and get what ya need. It's hard being an artist and being asked to work for free is even worse. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jan 6 2012, 04:44 PM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

*Holds up a cardboard sign that says "Will write hack fanfic for food"*

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Jan 6 2012, 06:54 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

*turns out pockets so far my legs come out of the holes* Pay..?

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Jan 6 2012, 06:56 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

I thought Squinky did free stuff every now and then? I noticed he's been inactive for a bit, though...

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jan 6 2012, 07:25 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Jan 6 2012, 01:56 PM) *
I thought Squinky did free stuff every now and then? I noticed he's been inactive for a bit, though...

He does, but he's also got a really large backlog, just based on the last time I saw him post anything to his thread and how many people keep requesting stuff.

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Jan 6 2012, 07:49 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

I was afraid of that. I'll ask my partner, she's an artist.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Jan 6 2012, 08:01 PM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

QUOTE (tehana @ Jan 6 2012, 09:36 AM) *
Friendly artist PSA: Please pay artists. No one works for free, find an artist, toss him or her a few bucks and get what ya need. It's hard being an artist and being asked to work for free is even worse. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

I would agree with this. There are plenty of artists that give rather reasonable rates - and among the folks I know who draw for money, all the requests for 'giev free art please' is incredibly infuriating and feels like it devalues their craft.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Jan 6 2012, 08:42 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

Yeah, two of my players are artists, and they've pretty much told me that if I want pictures of any characters other than their PCs (meet Ironworks) I need to pay them somehow (karma being a distinct possibility but RL money being preferable).

As for asking for free pictures, I agree with Udoshi: you've basically insinuated the following, "Yeah, I want you to spend at least several hours of your highly trained and skilled work for no compensation, not even the satisfaction of doing something for a close friend, because I don't even know you, just because I asked and therefore have a right to your time, effort, supplies, time, skill and did I mention time?" I know that you don't mean it that way, but that's how it comes across to the artistically inclined after a while of having to endure similar requests (especially among gamers, artists learn not to do freebies, because if you make one exception, everyone will have the chutzpah to act as if they deserve to have the next one).

(BTW, can you tell that I've heard the venting rant often enough? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) )

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Jan 6 2012, 08:58 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

I don't mean to insult anyone. I'm just a little financially lacking right now....

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Jan 6 2012, 09:35 PM
Post #16

Running Target

QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Jan 6 2012, 03:58 PM) *
I don't mean to insult anyone. I'm just a little financially lacking right now....

Don't worry about it. The request was made in ignorance, and was therefore not intended as an insult (although it could certainly be perceived that way by someone already primed to see such requests as such). However, do keep in mind that nobody else has money at the moment either, which makes the lack of offered compensation even worse. (Especially for a request of that magnitude! 5 character portraits? Unless the artist is doing that full time, you're talking a few days to a week's worth of work, at least, between the initial sketches, the proof drafts and final drafts) So, really, as you didn't mean to insult anyone, now you know better.

+Quote Post
Bull
post Jan 6 2012, 09:41 PM
Post #17

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Member No.: 50

Squinky is awesome and does free commissions because he loves drawing Shadowrun. But it also means he has a hell of a backlog, because free.

It doesn't help either that we're keeping him busy on the Missions end of things now either, as he's the Missions Cartogropher these days. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ork.gif)

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Jan 6 2012, 09:53 PM
Post #18

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,360

Hey Bull or JM Hardy, any chance you'll ever do a sprawl maps on CD or DLC. For when the J meet at a Mc Hugh's and we need a map? Some thing Printer friendly?

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jan 7 2012, 12:02 AM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Jan 6 2012, 05:53 PM) *
Hey Bull or JM Hardy, any chance you'll ever do a sprawl maps on CD or DLC. For when the J meet at a Mc Hugh's and we need a map? Some thing Printer friendly?
*Cough* Best $5 I ever spent! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Bull
post Jan 7 2012, 12:44 AM
Post #20

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Member No.: 50

Also, I would LOVE to see more Sprawl Sites type maps, for what it's worth. There's a lot of little projects like that I keep suggesting. unfortunatly, the problem is budget. Art is much more budget intensive than fiction.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Jan 7 2012, 01:20 AM
Post #21

Running Target

I've been saving my Maptools location maps as I make them for my game; would there be any interest in having those files available for general use? (i.e. these are the "campaign" files that Maptools uses for maps; they typically include the map background, NPC icons and often the associated dice macros, and LOS blocking. I don't have many made up, but with the amount of work I put into the dang things, I'd like somebody to get some use out of them)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jan 7 2012, 01:33 AM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Bull @ Jan 6 2012, 08:44 PM) *
Also, I would LOVE to see more Sprawl Sites type maps, for what it's worth. There's a lot of little projects like that I keep suggesting. unfortunatly, the problem is budget. Art is much more budget intensive than fiction.
You mean like these?

+Quote Post
post Jan 7 2012, 01:48 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 326

Actually - and I don't know how far off-topic we want to stray, so please, fork me if you must - I've been thinking a lot about Shadowrun maps lately, and how they don't require the same kind of art skills that Shadowrun art does. Namely, that they're something I can actually make useful contributions to.

To that end, I've been thinking about a maps-type supplement that would include:

A variety of urban maps in different scales
• Neighborhood overview [20 blocks, say, useful for chase combat and spatial orientation]
• Intersections [~four blocks, useful for street combat and exterior scenes]
• Buildings [blueprints for locations, like bars, research labs, houses...]

Larger extra-urban maps
• Topographical maps [covering several square miles, useful for operations at speed, border crossings, and remote facilities]
• Facility overviews [Mining facilities, industrial complexes, research outposts, border checkpoints...]

All could be based on existing locations, using existing open-source maps as the basis. In theory, there's no reason you couldn't completely recreate, given time, all of Seattle, but I'd settle for having a good handful of stock locations GMs could use for meets, runs, and anything else the players care to throw at them.

Sometimes I want stuff - vehicle creation rules and long lists of vehicles come to mind - that other people have little or no interest in, so it's hard for me to judge, but is this a kind of supplement people think would be useful? Purchase-worthy?

+Quote Post
simplexio
post Jan 7 2012, 03:23 PM
Post #24

Target

Member No.: 15,275

maps as raster maps?

why not go open source, web 2.0 (etc etc.. )

vector maps (or features) are much more fun. I have had this idea to build real geospatial database using all public domain spatial data, edit data and publish maps from it. Just like open streetmap works. thing like raising sea level 10 meter is easy, get all those new mountains island etc not so.

problem is that it takes alot of time, and if try whole world it takes hd space ( 10Meter raster for whole earth are like 200G or was it 2T, plus converting that all to contour lines). But after you have data in spatial db you can render all kinds of maps

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Jan 8 2012, 04:48 AM
Post #25

Shooting Target

QUOTE (simplexio @ Jan 7 2012, 03:23 PM) *
I have had this idea to build real geospatial database using all public domain spatial data, edit data and publish maps from it. Just like open streetmap works. thing like raising sea level 10 meter is easy, get all those new mountains island etc not so.

problem is that it takes alot of time, and if try whole world it takes hd space ( 10Meter raster for whole earth are like 200G or was it 2T, plus converting that all to contour lines). But after you have data in spatial db you can render all kinds of maps

Are you suggesting what I think you're suggesting?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:01 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.