Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Open call to artists doing free commisions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Xahn Borealis
Title says it all. I have about five characters I'd like artwork done of. Any takers?
Xahn Borealis
PM me if you like.
Method
And also please consider submissions to Dumpshock Datahaven! biggrin.gif
Draco18s
Honestly, I'd refer you to Tryst Entangled who does really cheap, really nice, sketches. $10 for a sketch, $30 for flat color. Guarantees to have it done within 24 hours of receiving payment (or you get a free sketch).

I'd link some examples, but frankly, most of them are NSFW.
Machiavelli
I checked them by myself a and i totally agree. ^^ His sketches are good, but to much anime for my pleasure. I would also be interested into a custom-made picture.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Jan 6 2012, 09:57 AM) *
I checked them by myself a and i totally agree. ^^ His sketches are good, but to much anime for my pleasure. I would also be interested into a custom-made picture.

A commission is a custom-made picture. wink.gif

But if the "too anime" turns you off, then it turns you off. You could always send him a note saying, "Hey, can you do something in a rougher style?" and describe what you're after. He'll either say he can, or he can't. Most artists are up for a challenge.
ShadowJackal
Friendly artist PSA: Please pay artists. No one works for free, find an artist, toss him or her a few bucks and get what ya need. It's hard being an artist and being asked to work for free is even worse. smile.gif

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.
CanRay
*Holds up a cardboard sign that says "Will write hack fanfic for food"*
Xahn Borealis
*turns out pockets so far my legs come out of the holes* Pay..?
Xahn Borealis
I thought Squinky did free stuff every now and then? I noticed he's been inactive for a bit, though...
Draco18s
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Jan 6 2012, 01:56 PM) *
I thought Squinky did free stuff every now and then? I noticed he's been inactive for a bit, though...

He does, but he's also got a really large backlog, just based on the last time I saw him post anything to his thread and how many people keep requesting stuff.
Xahn Borealis
I was afraid of that. I'll ask my partner, she's an artist.
Udoshi
QUOTE (tehana @ Jan 6 2012, 09:36 AM) *
Friendly artist PSA: Please pay artists. No one works for free, find an artist, toss him or her a few bucks and get what ya need. It's hard being an artist and being asked to work for free is even worse. smile.gif

Back to your regularly scheduled thread.

I would agree with this. There are plenty of artists that give rather reasonable rates - and among the folks I know who draw for money, all the requests for 'giev free art please' is incredibly infuriating and feels like it devalues their craft.

bibliophile20
Yeah, two of my players are artists, and they've pretty much told me that if I want pictures of any characters other than their PCs (meet Ironworks) I need to pay them somehow (karma being a distinct possibility but RL money being preferable).

As for asking for free pictures, I agree with Udoshi: you've basically insinuated the following, "Yeah, I want you to spend at least several hours of your highly trained and skilled work for no compensation, not even the satisfaction of doing something for a close friend, because I don't even know you, just because I asked and therefore have a right to your time, effort, supplies, time, skill and did I mention time?" I know that you don't mean it that way, but that's how it comes across to the artistically inclined after a while of having to endure similar requests (especially among gamers, artists learn not to do freebies, because if you make one exception, everyone will have the chutzpah to act as if they deserve to have the next one).

(BTW, can you tell that I've heard the venting rant often enough? wink.gif )
Xahn Borealis
I don't mean to insult anyone. I'm just a little financially lacking right now....
bibliophile20
QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Jan 6 2012, 03:58 PM) *
I don't mean to insult anyone. I'm just a little financially lacking right now....

Don't worry about it. The request was made in ignorance, and was therefore not intended as an insult (although it could certainly be perceived that way by someone already primed to see such requests as such). However, do keep in mind that nobody else has money at the moment either, which makes the lack of offered compensation even worse. (Especially for a request of that magnitude! 5 character portraits? Unless the artist is doing that full time, you're talking a few days to a week's worth of work, at least, between the initial sketches, the proof drafts and final drafts) So, really, as you didn't mean to insult anyone, now you know better.
Bull
Squinky is awesome and does free commissions because he loves drawing Shadowrun. But it also means he has a hell of a backlog, because free.

It doesn't help either that we're keeping him busy on the Missions end of things now either, as he's the Missions Cartogropher these days. ork.gif
Warlordtheft
Hey Bull or JM Hardy, any chance you'll ever do a sprawl maps on CD or DLC. For when the J meet at a Mc Hugh's and we need a map? Some thing Printer friendly?
CanRay
QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Jan 6 2012, 05:53 PM) *
Hey Bull or JM Hardy, any chance you'll ever do a sprawl maps on CD or DLC. For when the J meet at a Mc Hugh's and we need a map? Some thing Printer friendly?
*Cough* Best $5 I ever spent! biggrin.gif
Bull
Also, I would LOVE to see more Sprawl Sites type maps, for what it's worth. There's a lot of little projects like that I keep suggesting. unfortunatly, the problem is budget. Art is much more budget intensive than fiction.
bibliophile20
I've been saving my Maptools location maps as I make them for my game; would there be any interest in having those files available for general use? (i.e. these are the "campaign" files that Maptools uses for maps; they typically include the map background, NPC icons and often the associated dice macros, and LOS blocking. I don't have many made up, but with the amount of work I put into the dang things, I'd like somebody to get some use out of them)
CanRay
QUOTE (Bull @ Jan 6 2012, 08:44 PM) *
Also, I would LOVE to see more Sprawl Sites type maps, for what it's worth. There's a lot of little projects like that I keep suggesting. unfortunatly, the problem is budget. Art is much more budget intensive than fiction.
You mean like these?
Actually - and I don't know how far off-topic we want to stray, so please, fork me if you must - I've been thinking a lot about Shadowrun maps lately, and how they don't require the same kind of art skills that Shadowrun art does. Namely, that they're something I can actually make useful contributions to.

To that end, I've been thinking about a maps-type supplement that would include:

A variety of urban maps in different scales
• Neighborhood overview [20 blocks, say, useful for chase combat and spatial orientation]
• Intersections [~four blocks, useful for street combat and exterior scenes]
• Buildings [blueprints for locations, like bars, research labs, houses...]

Larger extra-urban maps
• Topographical maps [covering several square miles, useful for operations at speed, border crossings, and remote facilities]
• Facility overviews [Mining facilities, industrial complexes, research outposts, border checkpoints...]

All could be based on existing locations, using existing open-source maps as the basis. In theory, there's no reason you couldn't completely recreate, given time, all of Seattle, but I'd settle for having a good handful of stock locations GMs could use for meets, runs, and anything else the players care to throw at them.

Sometimes I want stuff - vehicle creation rules and long lists of vehicles come to mind - that other people have little or no interest in, so it's hard for me to judge, but is this a kind of supplement people think would be useful? Purchase-worthy?
simplexio
maps as raster maps?

why not go open source, web 2.0 (etc etc.. )

vector maps (or features) are much more fun. I have had this idea to build real geospatial database using all public domain spatial data, edit data and publish maps from it. Just like open streetmap works. thing like raising sea level 10 meter is easy, get all those new mountains island etc not so.

problem is that it takes alot of time, and if try whole world it takes hd space ( 10Meter raster for whole earth are like 200G or was it 2T, plus converting that all to contour lines). But after you have data in spatial db you can render all kinds of maps

Xahn Borealis
QUOTE (simplexio @ Jan 7 2012, 03:23 PM) *
I have had this idea to build real geospatial database using all public domain spatial data, edit data and publish maps from it. Just like open streetmap works. thing like raising sea level 10 meter is easy, get all those new mountains island etc not so.

problem is that it takes alot of time, and if try whole world it takes hd space ( 10Meter raster for whole earth are like 200G or was it 2T, plus converting that all to contour lines). But after you have data in spatial db you can render all kinds of maps

Are you suggesting what I think you're suggesting?
Neko Asakami
I personally use Critical Locations, a d20 Modern supplement, for any generic maps I need. Here is a link to the contents and a sample map (click the link for the Gothic Church). It's about $20 on Amazon, well worth the money, if you ask me.
I'm really surprised there's zero demand for something SR-specific like that. My ability to guess what other GMs and players will find useful is really poor.
Bull
I think there is some call for a product like that, and it's something I've pestered Jason about from time to time. The maps included with Runner's Toolkit, for example, were pretty well received.

The problem is how well would it sell? Something like a book of maps is pretty much all full page art, which makes it a little costly to produce.

I want something like this myself. I think a new version of Sprawl Sites would be fantastic, honestly. The trick is to convince the powers that be that it's a worthwhile project.

Bull
QUOTE (Bull @ Jan 10 2012, 05:40 PM) *
I think there is some call for a product like that...

I recently asked about it and received resounding silence. That's not to say "members on Dumpshock who happened to read some post of mine" is a statistically-representative sampling of SR customers, but it doesn't seem like people are burning down the doors to get at it.
Paul
As some of the more prolific posters on this site also don't actually play I imagine that what they want from the game, and what those of us who actually play it want differ.
CanRay
QUOTE (Bull @ Jan 10 2012, 01:40 PM) *
I want something like this myself. I think a new version of Sprawl Sites would be fantastic, honestly. The trick is to convince the powers that be that it's a worthwhile project.

Bull
Head Cage with a Hungry Rat in it?
Method
I have offered many times to do maps for free (Missons or what have you) but they never take me up on it. smile.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012