Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fake SINs, From Unwired
Redjack
post Jan 18 2012, 03:49 AM
Post #1

Man Behind the Curtain

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

So I was reading Unwired and I hit page 95 and the forgery rules for Fake SINs. I noticed that it is easier to create fake nuyen Forgery(24xRating, 1 day) than a SIN(32xRating, 1 week). First problem with that is that almost every character has a fake SIN (or multiples). Second is that even under sr4 extended test rules, a rating 1 SIN would take an decent forger 16 weeks (Logic R3 + Forgery R3 = dp6 = average 2 hits per test). At 1,000 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) for a fake SIN, that's 62.5 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) per week for a full time forger.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 18 2012, 04:15 AM
Post #2

Advocatus Diaboli

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,282

I assume they're just trying to keep PCs from doing it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I guess you'd want a *great* forger, not an average one.

+Quote Post
Eimi
post Jan 18 2012, 04:20 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,073

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jan 17 2012, 09:15 PM) *
I assume they're just trying to keep PCs from doing it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I guess you'd want a *great* forger, not an average one.

Yeah. Definitely not a triumph for simulationists.

It's that way to keep PCs from making their own fake SINs. Simple as that.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Jan 18 2012, 04:43 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

I'm personally of the opinion that the in-game explanation is that, if you're trying to do it by yourself, without the contacts in the right places--SIN Records, for example--it would be that difficult to achieve. However, if you do have the right contacts--all of the right contacts--making a fake SIN becomes that much easier to do, and how forgers earn their nuyen. It's not just their skill, it's also who they know that really determines the speed and quality at which they can produce fake SINs.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jan 18 2012, 05:04 AM
Post #5

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

I'm not too worried. Crafting rules are always a bad idea anyway; let the NPCs do it handwavingly.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jan 18 2012, 06:18 AM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Jan 18 2012, 12:43 AM) *
I'm personally of the opinion that the in-game explanation is that, if you're trying to do it by yourself, without the contacts in the right places--SIN Records, for example--it would be that difficult to achieve. However, if you do have the right contacts--all of the right contacts--making a fake SIN becomes that much easier to do, and how forgers earn their nuyen. It's not just their skill, it's also who they know that really determines the speed and quality at which they can produce fake SINs.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Jan 18 2012, 06:38 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

QUOTE (CanRay @ Jan 18 2012, 01:18 AM) *

Alot more useful than the Loyalty 6 Thor Shot Operator--or, at least, is useful more than once. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

I think that, if it ever became important for the PCs to make their own SINs, I'd set it up so that the threshold for the test is reduced by the connection and loyalty of appropriate contacts. Still hard, but not as impossible... but only if you know the right people.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jan 18 2012, 06:50 AM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

Exactly. It's who knows you that matters. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

A lot of footwork for looking for SINners can be easily done with the right contact at the DMV, for instance.

And never forget the amount of information you can get out of bartenders and cab drivers!

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:28 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.