IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Drone used as a relay for hacking, Is it possible, what mods do I need for it?
Seriously Mike
post Feb 4 2012, 03:50 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 36,268

So, just got an idea of using a microdrone with Signal upgrade as a hacking relay - rigger/hacker sends out a drone to maximum Mutual Signal Range, where the drone gets into the MSR of a target system and the hacker uses it as a relay node to hack the target system (that is, for some reason, unreachable otherwise). Would that even work?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Aria
post Feb 4 2012, 04:07 PM
Post #2

Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 18,267

I think so but I'm no matrix guru! I've recently built a wifi 'bridge' based on a ferret drone that stays outside a wifi dead zone and sends in a kanmushi with a fibre optic spool attached to it - voila, matrix where no matrix should go...might be even better to use the drone that can tap fibre optics (UW?), then you can send it in to find some unsuspecting camera or similar hardwired device and hack in without being 'on-site'...

Hopefully I haven't got that completely wrong (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
post Feb 4 2012, 04:25 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 326

QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Feb 4 2012, 03:50 PM) *
So, just got an idea of using a microdrone with Signal upgrade as a hacking relay - rigger/hacker sends out a drone to maximum Mutual Signal Range, where the drone gets into the MSR of a target system and the hacker uses it as a relay node to hack the target system (that is, for some reason, unreachable otherwise). Would that even work?

Absolutely. In fact, this is how almost the entire Matrix works in SR4. Any wireless device is also a router for the wireless network, so a commlink can be a router, even if it's just some guy driving past! That's how the distributed mesh works.

Technically, you can also buy retrans units for your drones, specifically to do what you're suggesting, but they're holdovers from SR3 that don't need to exist in SR4, but apparently somebody wasn't thinking that day: every wireless device is a "retrans unit" with a range determined by its Signal.

This means, of course, that you can route to even very remote locations by using a string of devices to get there. It doesn't matter which devices: it could be a satellite relay to a drone to a toaster to a bystander's commlink to the target network. This makes truly isolating systems difficult, but the idea then is that you'd just not use wireless on those sorts of things, or block the wireless signals with wifi inhibiting paint or whatnot.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Feb 4 2012, 04:34 PM
Post #4

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

There is a Repeater mod/gear item. Technically, though, *anything* should automatically repeat matrix signal.

+Quote Post
Aria
post Feb 4 2012, 06:20 PM
Post #5

Dragon

Member No.: 18,267

The retrans unit is a cheap way to boost signal...although I think sat link does it better and cheaper!

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Feb 4 2012, 07:46 PM
Post #6

Advocatus Diaboli

It's all tradeoffs, yeah.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Feb 4 2012, 07:46 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

Typical drone or other device with a rating of 3 has a signal range of 400m. A Retrans Unit vehicle/drone upgrade boosts this to Signal 6, a range of 10km. Satellite communications is cheaper, has a Signal of 8 (100km), but also states it's meant for communicating with satellites in low-earth orbit. A GM can rule that a satellite link isn't capable of connecting to a local network for more than one reason (not omni-directional, different frequencies, etc.).

It'll pretty much come down to personal preference and what your GM will allow you to do with a drone/vehicle with an obvious satellite dish on it. Oh, and even though it might be minor, don't forget about LOS and the curvature of the Earth at longer distances.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Feb 4 2012, 07:50 PM
Post #8

Advocatus Diaboli

Well, it'd go up to the satellite and back down to *your* sat link, of course. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) But there are various tradeoffs involved.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Feb 4 2012, 08:09 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Feb 4 2012, 04:50 PM) *

If you use the stupid "mutual signal range is required for hacking" thing it won't. Well, unless the drone is the node which your persona runs on...

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Feb 4 2012, 08:26 PM
Post #10

Advocatus Diaboli

Huh? Any path of connected nodes is Mutual Signal Range, including if those nodes use satellites.

+Quote Post
Seriously Mike
post Feb 4 2012, 08:39 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 36,268

Remind me then, where do I find directional antennas? Those might get handy too and I remember I saw them in one book, can't recall which one.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Feb 4 2012, 08:40 PM
Post #12

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Feb 4 2012, 01:39 PM) *
Remind me then, where do I find directional antennas? Those might get handy too and I remember I saw them in one book, can't recall which one.

Unwired...

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Feb 4 2012, 10:39 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Feb 4 2012, 09:26 PM) *
Huh? Any path of connected nodes is Mutual Signal Range, including if those nodes use satellites.

Nope, mutual signal range is when both nodes can "hear" each other directly, without rerouting in between

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Feb 4 2012, 10:46 PM
Post #14

Advocatus Diaboli

Yes, but so is any combination of nodes in mutual range. That's how the stupid mesh supposedly 'works'.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Feb 4 2012, 11:07 PM
Post #15

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Sengir @ Feb 4 2012, 03:39 PM) *
Nope, mutual signal range is when both nodes can "hear" each other directly, without rerouting in between

Says Who?

+Quote Post
UmaroVI
post Feb 4 2012, 11:24 PM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Member No.: 18,778

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Feb 4 2012, 06:07 PM) *
Says Who?

SR4A 222 under "Signal" where Mutual Signal Range is defined.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Feb 5 2012, 01:07 AM
Post #17

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Feb 4 2012, 11:46 PM) *
Yes, but so is any combination of nodes in mutual range. That's how the stupid mesh supposedly 'works'.

Again no. MSR = direct connection, not routed connections. See Umaro's page ref.

+Quote Post
post Feb 5 2012, 01:23 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (Aria @ Feb 4 2012, 06:20 PM) *
The retrans unit is a cheap way to boost signal...

Well, a retrans unit is 4000 nuyen, has an Availability of 12, and takes up a mod slot; for that you get a Signal of 6. [Arsenal, p141.] Or you can spend 3000 nuyen, no mod slots, with an Availability of 16, and just raise the drone's Signal directly. [SR4a, p222.] So what it is, apparently, is an easy-to-buy but slightly-more-expensive way to boost Signal...but really, it's just a dev oversight. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
post Feb 5 2012, 01:29 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Feb 4 2012, 10:46 PM) *

There's a couple things working here:
• "mutual Signal range" is actually a specific circumstance in which two devices can talk directly to each other, without any routing.
• You are [correctly] saying that any two devices that can be routed between are connected: this is also true.
• Some people believe that hacking is not possible over a routed connection, only a "mutual Signal range" connection, which is the "stupid" rule Sengir's talking about.

So you're totally right,* but that's not what Sengir was referring to.

*Okay, not totally: MSR really is a specific circumstance. But close enough for Dumpshock, anyway. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Feb 5 2012, 01:37 AM
Post #20

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

I look at retrans units as specific tools for a specific job. Let's say that you need to hack a node that is not connected to the mesh. If the hacker can't get inside, sending in a microdrone and a few small retrans units can be the solution you need.

Do you need it to hack the stuffer shack from your apartment? No. Tapping into the underground research facility with no outside matrix connection? Maybe.

Also, there's a biodrone swarm that acts like a retrans unit, so you can be unobtrusive. Dead drop a microdrone into a supply shipment, then use a bunch of flies (or ants) to bridge the connection.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Feb 5 2012, 01:43 AM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

QUOTE (3278 @ Feb 4 2012, 06:23 PM) *
Well, a retrans unit is 4000 nuyen, has an Availability of 12, and takes up a mod slot; for that you get a Signal of 6. [Arsenal, p141.] Or you can spend 3000 nuyen, no mod slots, with an Availability of 16, and just raise the drone's Signal directly. [SR4a, p222.] So what it is, apparently, is an easy-to-buy but slightly-more-expensive way to boost Signal...but really, it's just a dev oversight. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

No, I'd not say it's an oversight. You can only increase the Signal attribute (or any other attribute, like Response) of a device by +2 from its original rating. So unless you're starting at a device rating of 4 (and your typical drone is a 3) you can't reach 6. See "Upgrading Devices" on the same page in SR4a.

+Quote Post
post Feb 5 2012, 01:43 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Feb 5 2012, 01:37 AM) *
I look at retrans units as specific tools for a specific job. Let's say that you need to hack a node that is not connected to the mesh. If the hacker can't get inside, sending in a microdrone and a few small retrans units can be the solution you need.

Right, but what does this do that just raising the microdrone's Signal to 6 wouldn't do?

+Quote Post
post Feb 5 2012, 01:45 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Feb 5 2012, 01:43 AM) *
You can only increase the Signal attribute (or any other attribute, like Response) of a device by +2 from its original rating. So unless you're starting at a device rating of 4 (and your typical drone is a 3) you can't reach 6. See "Upgrading Devices" on the same page in SR4a.

Ah, I missed that! That's...fascinating. Explains the purpose of the modification, anyway! Good looking out. [edit: And now I'm looking at the ramifications of that rule, and cringing. Egads!]

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Feb 5 2012, 01:57 AM
Post #24

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

QUOTE (3278 @ Feb 4 2012, 05:43 PM) *
Right, but what does this do that just raising the microdrone's Signal to 6 wouldn't do?

If you raised Signal to 6 to get past wi-fi inhibiting, the retrans unit bridges the gap between the drone and you, since standing near the air vent of the underground facility is bound to get you noticed. As I said, limited use tool, but handy when you need it.

+Quote Post
post Feb 5 2012, 02:03 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

QUOTE (BishopMcQ @ Feb 5 2012, 02:57 AM) *
If you raised Signal to 6 to get past wi-fi inhibiting, the retrans unit bridges the gap between the drone and you...

Why doesn't the drone's own Signal bridge the gap between the drone and you? If the radio on the drone's retrans unit can reach you, why can't the drone's own radio? They're in the same place, with the same Signal.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:04 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.