IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Character Critique (Elven Combat Hacker), 400 BP Base. Strict Creation Rules from SR4A
SincereAgape
post Feb 22 2012, 08:01 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,610

Hi. This is my first hacker/combat and only my second 4th edition character. Any feedback or comments are appreciated and thank you ahead of time for reviewing the character.

A few quick points before the review. The character is conceptual in nature. In terms of improved qualities I wanted one mental (analytical thinker), one physical (double jointed), one emotional (guts), and one social (made man).

Brief Biography: Paris Tintagel is the younger brother of Tir Paladin Alexander Tintagel (Lugh Surhand's bodyguard). Young Paris was loyal to the former monarchy based government of tir tairngire. Lacking the magical ability to become an adept, or magician. Seeking to serve like his brother, Paris also trained in a few combat skills and used some of his families wealth to become infused with some cyberware and bioware. He also dabbled in learning about eletronics and hacking. The 2064 came, Paris was 18. He took to the streets fighting the factions that were attempting to bring down the old council of princes. During the fighting, Paris was defeated and thrown in prison as an enemy of the new Zincan regime.

-He eventually escaped (either through a jailbreak or political means, not sure of this yet). Eventually he was recruited by a Russian Vory outfit (not sure which one). The Russian's backed by Evo sponsored the rest of the implementation of Cyberware and Bioware into his system. Along with helping him focus on hacking/programming. Paris now serves as a shadowrunner who works with a Russian Vory outfit in Seattle. All of the whilte attempting to escape and evade the extremist factions of the current Tir government who are looking to hunt down anyone associated with the old regime.

Character sheet is below.

[ Spoiler ]
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Feb 22 2012, 01:19 PM
Post #2

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

Looks fine to me. Only problem I am seeing is with your programs.

If you use Unwired, the standard programs are trackable (registered, honest-bought software with automatic upgrades and such; not the best idea to use a registered-to-your-SIN Exploit program to hack into nodes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ).

It is far better to use pirated software (which you have to patch every 1-2 months, but on the plus side, they are dirt cheap).

Also, you should take a very deep look into the Program Options chapter of that book.

Optimization 1-3 allows you to use Rating 6 programs on a Rating 3-5 commlink.
Ergonomic allows you to increase the number of programs you have running at the same time.
Mute, Targeting, Area are also nice.

The Program Options increase Availability, though, so might not be possible to start out with R6, but you should be able to upgrade those later.

Also, I think Firewall is not limited by Response / System, so it can be R6.

Something nice for hackers is also in the Advanced Spoofing section... Spoofing Lifestyle. Up to Middle Class lifestyle for free, basically. Just requires a little work. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Seriously Mike
post Feb 22 2012, 03:09 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 36,268

QUOTE (Thanee @ Feb 22 2012, 02:19 PM) *
If you use Unwired, the standard programs are trackable (registered, honest-bought software with automatic upgrades and such; not the best idea to use a registered-to-your-SIN Exploit program to hack into nodes (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ).

...seriously? Hacking programs are Restricted, so "honest-bought" and "registered to your SIN" don't exactly apply. Aside from the fact that they're built specifically NOT to leave traces, right? Not only Rule of Fun, but also plain ol' sanity should apply here.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Feb 22 2012, 04:04 PM
Post #4

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Feb 22 2012, 08:09 AM) *
...seriously? Hacking programs are Restricted, so "honest-bought" and "registered to your SIN" don't exactly apply. Aside from the fact that they're built specifically NOT to leave traces, right? Not only Rule of Fun, but also plain ol' sanity should apply here.

Restricted means requiring a license for them (Can't even buy them without one, unless you are buying from the black market), that is all. Even Corporate Hacker's programs can be traced to them, because they are, by default, Registered.

It is very easy to un-register them, though, and any competant hacker will do that first thing. It is no worry to hand-wave that at character creation, as long as they pay the relevant price for the program (and not the Cracked Prices). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
SincereAgape
post Feb 22 2012, 04:33 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,610

Thanee, Thanks for the positive feedback. Umaro is helping me on the Catalyst forums as well. I admit to having not finished reading Unwired yet. For many of the Matrix programs and matrix gear I used the pre-generated auxiliary character kit system from Runner's Tool Kit for the matrix gear. Hacker Pack + CyberWarrior Programs + Brain Melter Programs + Hacker Essential Programs + Data Thief Programs, and modified Drone Puppeteer Programs.

Took out Medic and replaced it with Disarm. Then upped ECCM, Sniffer, Spoof to rating 5.

Is the connection rating 5 to low for Alexander Tintagel?

Rating 5 Description: Knows lots of people over a large area of holds a senior leadership position. Police Captain, Corporate Division Manager, High Level Mr. J, fixer or fence with international ties.

Or

Rating 6: Well connected individual who knows people all over the world, or holds a key executive position. Examples: Mob Bossm Corporate Executive, Mr. J, fence or fixer with interntinal ties.

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Feb 22 2012, 10:59 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Feb 22 2012, 05:04 PM) *
It is very easy to un-register them, though, and any competant hacker will do that first thing. It is no worry to hand-wave that at character creation, as long as they pay the relevant price for the program (and not the Cracked Prices). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

...and if you buy them on the black market, chances are they are registered to someone else anyway.

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Feb 22 2012, 11:06 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

QUOTE (SincereAgape @ Feb 22 2012, 05:33 PM) *
Is the connection rating 5 to low for Alexander Tintagel?

Personally I'd go with tops 5 for Mr T - possibly less given his current status, but I'll see if there's something contradicting that in the books...

...nope, can't find anything.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:32 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.