IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Weapon Mods - The Silly Mods, Im a 6 second bomb...im a 5 second...
The Jopp
post Apr 24 2012, 07:50 AM
Post #1

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 948

So what madness have you created for or against your players?

I got a few:

MKII Headhunter Grenade
Grenade of your choice
-Smartgun Accessory (Internal)
-Pilot Upgrade (Minidrone)
-Propulsion System Crawling Upgrade

You now have a homing bomb that you throw towards the enemy that then continue to crawl to their location and decide to explode when it is ready. Add a motion sensor so it knows where the enemy is.

Trinity Grenade
-Advanced Safety
-Glue Trap
-Electro Shocker
-Spring Trigger Trap

Anyone trying to pick up the grenade is in for a nasty surprise, add a pilot program and a motion sensor or pressure sensor and it will decide when to arm itself and detonate.

BTW...how does anyone get to install the Flying upgrade? It takes 8 slots, nothing have 8 mod slots.

oh, another thing, a weapon that becomes a drone (pilot upgrade)...can it have drone mods? If so you can make a gun with X4 mechanical arms or give it a walker mod and you ahve Fido the grenade launcher.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Shortstraw
post Apr 24 2012, 08:06 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 29,391

First it's a 30 second bomb.
"This was a special bomb, one issued to each of us for this mission with instructions to use them if we found ways to make them effective. The squawking I heard as I threw it was the bomb shouting in skinny talk (free translation): "I'm a thirty second bomb! I'm a thirty second bomb! Twenty-nine! Twenty-eight! Twenty-seven!..." -Starship Troopers

Second I use bust a moves with smuggling compartments for bombots.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Apr 24 2012, 08:26 AM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

Regarding the drone mods to a Smartgun with a Pilot Upgrade, I'd say no. Granted it gets stats like a drone via the Pilot Upgrade, but then the Propulsion System upgrade (which requires the Pilot Upgrade first) directly states it cannot take any vehicle modifications.

Also, you can overmod a weapon at GM's discretion.

And I seriously doubt you can add mods to grenades. First they're not even lumped in with the weapons, and second it'd be like adding mods to your bullets and arrows.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Apr 24 2012, 08:38 AM
Post #4

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

QUOTE (The Jopp @ Apr 24 2012, 09:50 AM) *
Anyone trying to pick up the grenade is in for a nasty surprise, add a pilot program and a motion sensor or pressure sensor and it will decide when to arm itself and detonate.

Carrying self-arming explosives is ALWAYS a good idea. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Apr 24 2012, 08:39 AM
Post #5

Runner

QUOTE (Thanee @ Apr 24 2012, 09:38 AM) *
Carrying self-arming explosives is ALWAYS a good idea. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Bye
Thanee

Of course, dont you trust your grenades with weapon personalities and mood swings? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
remmus
post Apr 24 2012, 08:44 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,145

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Apr 24 2012, 10:26 AM) *
And I seriously doubt you can add mods to grenades. First they're not even lumped in with the weapons, and second it'd be like adding mods to your bullets and arrows.

In my book it work, a grenade would have the size and design to be modded, possibly I would houserule a fitting reduction in the dice pool when throwing them to represent there most likely increased bulk.

And hey if the player wants to put even more money into a one time use item why not let them, as long as they can take the long term consequence X3

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Apr 24 2012, 08:59 AM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

The fun part for the players would be trying to convince someone to spend upwards of 10x the cost of mods on a one-off item like a grenade. Never had one take the skills necessary to do the work themselves.

Then again, I did have a player very enthusiastically cast a force 10 ball lightning spell (with 8 hits) at a person less than 3m away... So I guess it's not beyond the realm of stupidity that someone would be willing to spend a few thousand nuyen on a 50 nuyen grenade.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Apr 24 2012, 09:02 AM
Post #8

Runner

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Apr 24 2012, 09:26 AM) *

I would say it is limited in what can be modified but you can put pilot and smartlink on a grenade - after all, even in their descriptions they are wireless devices that can be detonated on a distance. Most of the time one has to use a little common sense.

A grenade with Ruthenium Polymer coating (Invisible grenade)
A grenade with Gecko Grip (grenade sticks to the ceiling...)
A grenade with a safe target system (will not explode with friendlies in blast range)
A grenade with custom look (Dont worry Ralph, they only threw a brick through the window...)

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Apr 24 2012, 09:07 AM
Post #9

Runner

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Apr 24 2012, 09:59 AM) *
So I guess it's not beyond the realm of stupidity that someone would be willing to spend a few thousand nuyen on a 50 nuyen grenade.

Well, it can also be players that has a specific use for a specalized weapon.

You can literally make a motion detection mine with a few upgrades.

A grenade with pilot, motion sensor, ruthenium polymers and Gecko Grip. Now you have an invisible landmine that sticks to the ceiling and blow up when it detects movement.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Apr 24 2012, 09:09 AM
Post #10

Runner

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Apr 24 2012, 09:26 AM) *

You know, there is a weapon that is both a missile AND a drone. It can also be modded with vehicle mods.

Also, hand held grenades are weapons, not ammunition. I would say that weapon launched grenades counts as ammunition and cannot be modded.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Apr 24 2012, 09:50 AM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Yes, I'm aware of the Ares Heimdall and it's knockoffs. I honestly don't expect much more than a custom paint job to be done to these confused missile/drone things ("From Ares, with love (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wub.gif) ").

Also, grenades come in a variety of shapes already, so if someone wanted a brick shaped one I'm sure there's plenty to be had. I'd also wager that sticky grenades are a highly available option as well (just peel this small strip of paper off to activate the water resistant adhesive...).

And don't forget that grenades can be rigged with a tripwire. If you've got the time to stick a grenade to the ceiling then you likely have the time to rig a tripwire as well. If you don't, then that 5 second delay to boom is probably your better option.

Personally I'd rule all grenades as ammo, and unable to have weapon mods installed. Besides, once the pin is pulled Mr. Grenade is no-ones friend.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Apr 24 2012, 03:37 PM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

Just be careful not to have your bombs get too smart...

"I am God. Let there be light." *BOOM*

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Apr 24 2012, 03:44 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (The Jopp @ Apr 24 2012, 03:39 AM) *
Of course, dont you trust your grenades with weapon personalities and mood swings? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

Reminds me of these two pieces:

http://365tomorrows.com/12/15/boom/
http://365tomorrows.com/11/01/binary-thinking-101/

+Quote Post
_Pax._
post Apr 24 2012, 05:25 PM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Group: Validating
Member No.: 51,818

QUOTE (The Jopp @ Apr 24 2012, 03:50 AM) *
So what madness have you created for or against your players?

I got a few:

MKII Headhunter Grenade
Grenade of your choice
-Smartgun Accessory (Internal)
-Pilot Upgrade (Minidrone)
-Propulsion System Crawling Upgrade

You now have a homing bomb that you throw towards the enemy that then continue to crawl to their location and decide to explode when it is ready. Add a motion sensor so it knows where the enemy is.

For extra giggles, spring for a Personality Software upgrade. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) SO many possibilities: Marvin-esque depressed; sultry sexy babe (who wants to go BOOM with you), over-eager puppy .... GIR ... ^_^

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Apr 24 2012, 05:36 PM
Post #15

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

Dark Star
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjGRySVyTDk

+Quote Post
Modular Man
post Apr 24 2012, 05:53 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,317

I always liked the idea of a grenade giving off witty comments, but even this modification (mentioned in "Arsenal" as well) struck me as too expensive for a detonating device...

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Apr 24 2012, 06:49 PM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

QUOTE (Modular Man @ Apr 24 2012, 01:53 PM) *
I always liked the idea of a grenade giving off witty comments, but even this modification (mentioned in "Arsenal" as well) struck me as too expensive for a detonating device...

I'd be willing, as a GM, to give a hefty discount for upgrades to a one-use item; like the torpedoes from WWII, when they realized that they didn't need to design them to run for forever, just for long enough.

+Quote Post
Eratosthenes
post Apr 24 2012, 07:05 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,409

QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Apr 24 2012, 02:49 PM) *
I'd be willing, as a GM, to give a hefty discount for upgrades to a one-use item; like the torpedoes from WWII, when they realized that they didn't need to design them to run for forever, just for long enough.

That, and you can make up for the lower cost with quantity. Being one-shot devices, people will buy them more frequently. And you only need to code that pilot program once.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Apr 24 2012, 08:16 PM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (CanRay @ Apr 24 2012, 10:37 AM) *
Just be careful not to have your bombs get too smart...

"I am God. Let there be light." *BOOM*
QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Apr 24 2012, 12:36 PM) *
Great minds think of explosions, and philosophy! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Apr 24 2012, 08:18 PM
Post #20

Runner

QUOTE (Eratosthenes @ Apr 24 2012, 07:05 PM) *
That, and you can make up for the lower cost with quantity. Being one-shot devices, people will buy them more frequently. And you only need to code that pilot program once.

Since the crawler mod for a grenade would cost 5K and an availability of 14 it would be far cheaper to buy a minidrone and glue a grenade on it.

Halving availability and 1/10 of the price would get a grenade down to about 1K

Grenade: 50Y
Pilot 1: 500Y
Walker Drone: 500Y
Motion Sensor: 50Y

Still a very expensive grenade

+Quote Post
_Pax._
post Apr 24 2012, 08:19 PM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

Group: Validating
Member No.: 51,818

QUOTE (Eratosthenes @ Apr 24 2012, 02:05 PM) *
[...] you only need to code that pilot program once.

This, right there. You don't have to buy the pilot program fifty times, to have fifty grenades with Pilot software. Just buy it ONCE, and upload it to each grenade. Same for Personality programs: buy one copy, load it into twenty different grenades.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Apr 24 2012, 08:20 PM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Apr 24 2012, 03:19 PM) *
This, right there. You don't have to buy the pilot program fifty times, to have fifty grenades with Pilot software. Just buy it ONCE, and upload it to each grenade. Same for Personality programs: buy one copy, load it into twenty different grenades.
You still have to buy the licenses for all those programs unless you break the copyright. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

It's not the software that costs you, it's the license to legally USE the software!

+Quote Post
almost normal
post Apr 24 2012, 08:22 PM
Post #23

Running Target

Group: Banned
Member No.: 18,961

Taking an M23, upgrading it with the high-velocity fire, then adding drum mags, instead of the clip system.

It wasn't until I killed a dozen people, 4 of then behind walls, one behind two walls(He was behind the corner of a house that I was outside of), and blew the engine out of a car parked a hundred meters out, that I realized I needed to retire the gun and the character.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Apr 24 2012, 08:36 PM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (almost normal @ Apr 24 2012, 03:22 PM) *
Taking an M23, upgrading it with the high-velocity fire, then adding drum mags, instead of the clip system.

It wasn't until I killed a dozen people, 4 of then behind walls, one behind two walls(He was behind the corner of a house that I was outside of), and blew the engine out of a car parked a hundred meters out, that I realized I needed to retire the gun and the character.

I did that once.

Admittedly, it was Not Shadowrun and I was in an airplane at the time. Using mounted guns to fire on a building. With people in it.

+Quote Post
almost normal
post Apr 24 2012, 08:39 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Group: Banned
Member No.: 18,961

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Apr 24 2012, 04:36 PM) *
I did that once.

Admittedly, it was Not Shadowrun and I was in an airplane at the time. Using mounted guns to fire on a building. With people in it.

2142?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:28 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.