Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Social skills questions
Raiden
post Aug 14 2012, 05:11 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 53,120

Hey, I was wondering, are there any set rules on when you use negotiation, con, intimidate, or the others? is it purely situational to what you are trying to do, or can you use any of them interchangeably most of the time? and on a scale of importance which are well, more important to a secondary face
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Makki
post Aug 14 2012, 06:03 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

you can use whatever technique you want, to get what you need. But the reaction of your opponent will be accordingly. I don't understand, why you would ask such a quesition, these skills are exactly what they refelct in real life.

Say person X has an information you need and you want to talk it out of him. You can either offer him something in return (Negotiation), you can lie to him (Con) or you threaten to kill his dog (Intimidation). If he happens to be some sort of underling, you can also order him (Leadership), as long as he thinks you're his superior.
All of the above work much easier, if X is your friend. So you better treat him accordingly (Etiquette).

I'd say, in order of importance:
Etiquette
Con, Negotiation, Intimidation: depending on your character's character, focus on one
Leadership

+Quote Post
Raiden
post Aug 14 2012, 06:15 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 53,120

yea, i figured it was like that, I just wanted some confirmations lol. thanks

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post Aug 14 2012, 08:51 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 17,968

Bear in mind that your choice of approach determines their defending skill. I forget the exact correspondences, but I believe an example would be that Negotiaton is defended with Negotiaton. So if you think they might have the skill you might be better of with another approach.

Also, Leadership isn't just for talking to underlings. It's about encouragement and persuasion through the portrayal of authority. A mafia boss will never consider a street junkie to be literally superior, but a good Leadership roll will convince him that on this occasion the drug-addled loser really does know what he's talking about.

+Quote Post
Speed Wraith
post Aug 14 2012, 02:26 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,900

QUOTE (Aerospider @ Aug 14 2012, 04:51 AM) *
Bear in mind that your choice of approach determines their defending skill. I forget the exact correspondences, but I believe an example would be that Negotiaton is defended with Negotiaton. So if you think they might have the skill you might be better of with another approach.

Also, Leadership isn't just for talking to underlings. It's about encouragement and persuasion through the portrayal of authority. A mafia boss will never consider a street junkie to be literally superior, but a good Leadership roll will convince him that on this occasion the drug-addled loser really does know what he's talking about.

I don't know if I'd consider Jesse Pinkman's Leadership score to be very high. Sure he kept Skinny Pete and Badger mostly in check, but I think he relied on raw luck (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
forgarn
post Aug 14 2012, 03:23 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,988

QUOTE (Aerospider @ Aug 14 2012, 04:51 AM) *

SR4a, pg 130. Chart in the lower right corner of the page lists the skill, the using character roll and the target character roll.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 05:46 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.