Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Social skills questions
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Raiden
Hey, I was wondering, are there any set rules on when you use negotiation, con, intimidate, or the others? is it purely situational to what you are trying to do, or can you use any of them interchangeably most of the time? and on a scale of importance which are well, more important to a secondary face
Makki
you can use whatever technique you want, to get what you need. But the reaction of your opponent will be accordingly. I don't understand, why you would ask such a quesition, these skills are exactly what they refelct in real life.

Say person X has an information you need and you want to talk it out of him. You can either offer him something in return (Negotiation), you can lie to him (Con) or you threaten to kill his dog (Intimidation). If he happens to be some sort of underling, you can also order him (Leadership), as long as he thinks you're his superior.
All of the above work much easier, if X is your friend. So you better treat him accordingly (Etiquette).

I'd say, in order of importance:
Etiquette
Con, Negotiation, Intimidation: depending on your character's character, focus on one
Leadership
Raiden
yea, i figured it was like that, I just wanted some confirmations lol. thanks
Aerospider
Bear in mind that your choice of approach determines their defending skill. I forget the exact correspondences, but I believe an example would be that Negotiaton is defended with Negotiaton. So if you think they might have the skill you might be better of with another approach.

Also, Leadership isn't just for talking to underlings. It's about encouragement and persuasion through the portrayal of authority. A mafia boss will never consider a street junkie to be literally superior, but a good Leadership roll will convince him that on this occasion the drug-addled loser really does know what he's talking about.
Speed Wraith
QUOTE (Aerospider @ Aug 14 2012, 04:51 AM) *
Bear in mind that your choice of approach determines their defending skill. I forget the exact correspondences, but I believe an example would be that Negotiaton is defended with Negotiaton. So if you think they might have the skill you might be better of with another approach.

Also, Leadership isn't just for talking to underlings. It's about encouragement and persuasion through the portrayal of authority. A mafia boss will never consider a street junkie to be literally superior, but a good Leadership roll will convince him that on this occasion the drug-addled loser really does know what he's talking about.

I don't know if I'd consider Jesse Pinkman's Leadership score to be very high. Sure he kept Skinny Pete and Badger mostly in check, but I think he relied on raw luck biggrin.gif
forgarn
QUOTE (Aerospider @ Aug 14 2012, 04:51 AM) *

SR4a, pg 130. Chart in the lower right corner of the page lists the skill, the using character roll and the target character roll.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012