Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Hold out pistols, is there a point?, Trying to justify even trying to use the
cutter07
post Apr 17 2004, 03:50 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,239

Being totally fair I realize they are very very concealable but 4L isn't much even if the target is unsuspecting and unarmored. Let say you use glazers which would bring that to 6M and do a headshot, thats only 6S, decent but very few times you'll be in a istuation vs an unarmored target. Anyone have experience where a holdout has saved some butt or scored a kill?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Kanada Ten
post Apr 17 2004, 03:51 AM
Post #2

Beetle Eater

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,826

:wobble: :sleepy:

+Quote Post
Luke Hardison
post Apr 17 2004, 03:55 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,828

It's saved my hoop twice. Once it was a boot backup that the baddies never checked me for, and I got a chance to pop the guard in the back of the head at point blank. The other time, I pulled my backup and threw it across an alley, making the orc look the wrong way at a very crucial time.
Good as a combat weapon? No, not really. But you should ALWAYS have a backup.

+Quote Post
cutter07
post Apr 17 2004, 03:58 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

was thinking morrissey elite for my backup. Heavy pistol thump with light pistol size.

+Quote Post
Wireknight
post Apr 17 2004, 04:02 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,118

Stylistically, it never hurts your badass image to have an extension-rig holdout pistol in your sleeve for emergencies. Statistically, if it's got a smartlink-2 and is firing some kind of hollowpoint(or glazer) you could pull off a lethal headshot(presuming no helmet on the enemy) without too much difficulty(presuming your character is a decent shot).

But if you're not a badass with a smartlinked version, it becomes less useful. Still, it pays to have an ace-in-the-hole ranged attack for when melee just won't cut it.

+Quote Post
Moonstone Spider
post Apr 17 2004, 04:14 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,834

If you're an adept and can throw 18 dice on your pistols attack maybe.

But if you're an adept you can do the same with your unarmed combat, then add in Distance Strike and have a superior attack that can't be detected at all.

+Quote Post
cutter07
post Apr 17 2004, 04:15 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Would be nice if there was a good holdout someone made from the design book. Something with a little more punch (even 6L with a 9 conceal would be sweet).

+Quote Post
Sunday_Gamer
post Apr 17 2004, 04:24 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,133

Use explosive rounds in your hold out =)

I know plenty of sams with 7 or 8 skill. Add in as many combat pool. I assure you, a hold out pistol can definitely kill someone, it can kill someone dead.

Not by "someone" I exclude the Troll with 35 Body and depleted uranium body armor.

Sunday.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 17 2004, 04:29 AM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

QUOTE (cutter07)
Would be nice if there was a good holdout someone made from the design book. Something with a little more punch (even 6L with a 9 conceal would be sweet).

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post Apr 17 2004, 04:32 AM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,158

Screw holdouts. The Walther PB-120 has the same Concealability, better Damage Code, AND superior range.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 17 2004, 04:41 AM
Post #11

Runner

QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime)
Screw holdouts. The Walther PB-120 has the same Concealability, better Damage Code, AND superior range.

Which is why I started working on this, which, despite providing a potential sollution to this mess, was almost completely ignored.

Anyway, as for holdouts, they're awful combat weapons, but that's the point. These are things you take out to dinner, not on a run.

+Quote Post
cutter07
post Apr 17 2004, 04:45 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

yeah the walther aint bad but for 1 point conceal I co from a 6L to a 9m. With glacers and headshot thats a 11D. Not too shamby for a conceal 7, though a slivergun is only a 6,..

Why do I feel my backup is going to end up being a Remington 990 stuffed down my boot ;)

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 17 2004, 05:19 AM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

light pistols in general are for shit. you can talk all you want about style and in-character stuff, there's still no reason to carry one--you can get heavy pistols with decent conceal etc.

now, if light pistols and holdouts did base M damage, instead of L? we could talk.

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post Apr 17 2004, 06:14 AM
Post #14

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Arethusa)
Which is why I started working on this, which, despite providing a potential sollution to this mess, was almost completely ignored.

No offense, but not everyone is keen on house rules, even good house rules. Especially in a discussion where the question is basically "what's the point in [such-and-such] as they currently stand in the rules." :)

Anyway, as for holdouts, they're awful combat weapons, but that's the point.  These are things you take out to dinner, not on a run.

With a Concealability (for less than half of them) of only +1 over the Walther PB-120, there really isn't much of a point in any of them. Not a one. Like I said before, it's just as small, it's more versatile (any ammo type), has greater damage, greater range, and not insanely expensive. A gunsmith should easily be able to convert it to Ceramic Components (even though it's technically a Design option) or at the very least construct an all-resin version identical to it. So even that perk for a few of them is largely moot.

Not that lights are that great. I'd rather carry a Machine Pistol if I was going that route. But if for some reason I needed a pistol with a Conceal of 8 or higher, I don't see why I'd go for anything but a Walther.

But then again I've rarely found the point in having a Pistol with a Conceal greater than 6 anyway. Throw it in a concealed holster and wear it under a long coat, and you have a Conceal of 12. Conceal 14 is just barely (technically only a single point difference) harder to detect, whereas the difference between Conceal 11 and 12 is quite a bit more significant.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 17 2004, 06:26 AM
Post #15

Runner

Honestly, if you're not keen on houserules but acknowledge the idiocy of the canon system, something's probably quite wrong with you. hell, if you can't see there's something wrong with canon at all, there's still probably something wrong.

And while I do understand all the numerical issues you raise— they are quite valid— I find it a little absurd that a potentially very solid and very complete solution to the problem, which will never be reached through a broad interpretation of canon, has been absolutely ignored.

Anyway, yes, you're right. There's no point to light pistols and very little point to holdouts. Even machine pistols are fairly worthless in light of what you can get ahold of with SMGs and heavy pistols. Concealable holsters and clothing on top of that and you can walk into anything with those. There's no getting around the fact that it's awfully broken.

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post Apr 17 2004, 06:49 AM
Post #16

Shooting Target

Err. Yeah. Settle down there, boss.

Once again, the original question was basically "can someone please explain what the point in a hold-out pistol is?" and "do you have any examples of how one was used successfully in a game?" Not "does anyone have any cool house rules on how I can make hold-out pistols more useful in my game?" So it's not surprising that there hasn't been a long, drawn-out conversation about said house rules. Especially since there's already a thread dedicated to such a conversation.

That's all I was saying.

+Quote Post
broho_pcp
post Apr 17 2004, 07:03 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,054

I am not sure about this, but...
Isn't the conceal rating for someone to notice while looking at you for weapons? What if they decide to pat you down. Even if it is under a coat in a cool holster, it will still be felt. However, there is a lower chance of a wrist/ankle/boot gun being found IMO. I do see a value in hold-out pistols, just not to much of one.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 17 2004, 07:13 AM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

there are rules for that on page 236 of SR3. hilariously, it's easier to spot a weapon in a casual glance than it is with a quick pat-down.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 17 2004, 07:22 AM
Post #19

Runner

QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime)

Once again, the original question was basically "can someone please explain what the point in a hold-out pistol is?" and "do you have any examples of how one was used successfully in a game?" Not "does anyone have any cool house rules on how I can make hold-out pistols more useful in my game?" So it's not surprising that there hasn't been a long, drawn-out conversation about said house rules. Especially since there's already a thread dedicated to such a conversation.

That's all I was saying.

Sorry if that came across wrong; not trying to shove this down your throat. In fact, your comment wasn't really what frustrated me (see cutter07's post). I just felt that what it's come down to is the fact that there is no use for holdouts without at least some houseruling, and preferably more— and, that said, that it is something the community should discuss.

I should also point out that it isn't like we were really staying exactly on topic to begin with. Doubly so when the first question is basically answerable with a flat no.

QUOTE (broho_pcp)
I am not sure about this, but...
Isn't the conceal rating for someone to notice while looking at you for weapons? What if they decide to pat you down. Even if it is under a coat in a cool holster, it will still be felt. However, there is a lower chance of a wrist/ankle/boot gun being found IMO. I do see a value in hold-out pistols, just not to much of one.

I don't believe SR has rules for physical searches as opposed to visual ones, though it damn well should. That said, numerically, there's just no real reason to go with a weapon that is infinitely less potent and only uselessly more concealable.

[edit: my mistake; somehow missed those rules, though I guess they obviously need fixing]

+Quote Post
CardboardArmor
post Apr 17 2004, 07:26 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,197

Hold-out pistols, in my opinion, have two major uses.

You either imply threat of force with them, which is to say you hold the pistol against someone's temple and say something to the tune of "Move and I frag your brains, drekhead" to achieve your goal.

Or, if you fancy yourself the assassin type, a hold-out can fit most anywhere and not just in holsters strapped to your extremities. Again, you'd have to engage at fairly close range and be a pretty good shot with such a small caliber (hence, small damage) weapon, but the great thing about a hold-out is that after you geek someone with it provided you didn't leave residual evidence all over the place and prints all over the gun and casings you can just throw it away.

And that's the use for a hold-out pistol.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 17 2004, 07:30 AM
Post #21

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

There's always that one flechette hold-out. 4M(f) can be good to have at parties. Conceal is something high too.

~J

+Quote Post
cutter07
post Apr 17 2004, 07:31 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

My thoughts exactly. Increase your medication. :wobble: jking

I think clockwork nailed it on the head. I GM only plays with his houserules and very very few at that. He isn't very open minded when it comes to thinking "out the box" even if the original rules are dumb <cough> dodge rolls <cough>

While cannon is broke its mostly the same broke crap from Fields of fire, which is old hat by now. Can't really complain when they still have a broken ass 12m pistol for 1000 bucks (The gyrojet, works underwater for God's sake).

Yes holdouts are small but the punch (4L to 9M) is pretty big between the biggest holdout (8 conceal) and the smallest heavy pistol (7 conceal) making hold outs, and lights for that matter nearly worthless. Also its only 550 and has a built is laser sight. Kinda hard to beat that. And a .5 street index, perfect when you want to tape the trigger/handle, sneak it in, get a headshot, and pull a Godfather "drop and walk" special.

On top of that more then half of the hold-outs are SS and have tiny ammo capacity making it seem like the only people using these are seedy back alley types for 1st runs.

Just wondering if the Elite with glasers (11S) is the best I can go for as a backup. It would be 7+2=(9)+4 = 13 conceal right?

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 17 2004, 07:34 AM
Post #23

Runner

I'd like to take this time to point out that with street index, most light and heavy pistols will hit harder, be just as concealable, and cost almost half as much, if not quite a bit less. A simple predator is all you need, and even with a silencer, it costs less than a holdout.

I guess you do have a point with cavity concealment, though. Just that not many runners do that. Well, for work, anyway. Fun's another matter entirely.

[edit]

No, it depends on the GM as it's never explicitly stated whether the +2 gets the bonus from the coat or not. Some let you, some don't. In any case, the difference between 12 and 13 is practically never going to come up.

+Quote Post
The White Dwarf
post Apr 17 2004, 07:45 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,754

Hold outs do have a use in a canon game. Its just a very limited spectrum. It has to be used in a capacity where the extra concealability makes a difference, otherwise theres no point. And it has to be used in a situation where the attack can work around the disadvantages of the hold out to make it useful.

Examples include the characters who can throw 15+ dice at a pistols test, or characters with a SL-2 making aimed called shots around armor or to the head, etc. In all these cases, the low damage code of the gun is avoided; either the defender has tn2 but needs 15+ successes, or the defender needs tn6 from a non-armored ex-round shot and wont get enough to stage down; etc.

Of the hold outs, the two best are the Cavalier Scout (SA, highest Conceal, highest clip size) or the Walther Palm Pistol (higest Conceal, can fire once as a short burst for +2 power).

The right character with the right ammo in the right situation can make them effetive, its just a small band of use that most characters will either never see or never be able to make use of.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 17 2004, 08:04 AM
Post #25

Immortal Elf

yeah, but holdouts aren't some kind of hard-to-acquire specialty item. they're weapons that a wide selection of characters should be able to make good use of.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 03:10 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.