IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Sports rifles v Sniper rifles, a comparison.
FuelDrop
post Sep 24 2012, 01:09 AM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 53,300

Sniper rifles are awesome. With the longest range of any non-heavy-weapon in the game and damage codes and penetration only just shy of an assault cannon, they're among the top guns in the game.
However, they do have their downsides...
They are very expensive (base model).
They are, without exception, highly illegal.
They degrade quickly in a 'firefight' (as opposed to a sniper situation. sometimes the line is hard to draw, though), and doubly so in melee.

And so, if it looks like one of these drawbacks is going to be an issue, we turn to sports rifles. Sports rifles are a mixed bag as far as functionality is concerned: Their range, while inferior to that of a true sniper rifle, is superior to most of its competitors (with the exception of battle rifles, which use the same ranges). Their damage codes tend to be either equal to or slightly inferior to sniper rifles, though this of course is dependent on the models being compared. one universal failing of the sports rifle compared to the sniper rifle is of course inferior armour penetration.
However...
Sports rifles are almost always legal to own and easy to acquire (just head down to your local weapons world).
At their cheapest, Sports rifles can be acquired at 500 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) new. For runners who need a disposable sniper rifle on a budget, this is a very solid plus point.
Sports rifles work perfectly well when used in a firefight or other tactical situation, unlike sniper rifles.

So my question to dumpshock is: which is your go-to sniping weapon?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Sep 24 2012, 01:15 AM
Post #2

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

HK-PSG1 Almost Exclusively. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Sep 24 2012, 01:51 AM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

My team doesn't often need to snipe, as they prefer a lot of creative, nonlethal solutions.

But when they DO, they go BIG. Typically drone-mounted ares MP heavy lasers and Gauss Rifles.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Sep 24 2012, 02:30 AM
Post #4

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

9S is enough base damage for most work, unless you're a high-level group running an actual sniper job.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Sep 24 2012, 03:22 AM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

The right tool for the right job.

If you're in a city, a Sport Rifle is typically good enough. You're not trying to shoot down a few miles typically. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) Unless you're shooting through buildings.

As you get through areas where there's longer ranged shots, OTOH, yeah, go with a sniper rifle.

And if you're facing armour of any type, the ultimate "Sniper" weapon: Assault Cannon. State of the art Bang-Bang!

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Sep 24 2012, 06:26 AM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

Get a hunting license with your [fake] SIN, along with whatever else may be required by your area, and you've got a legal excuse to have a sport rifle. Maybe a few looks, but less hassle from the local LEOs if they know (or at least believe) that you're a game hunter when they find that sporting rifle in your vehicle.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Sep 24 2012, 10:38 AM
Post #7

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

Assault-Rifle.
Nothing says Hello quite like 6 rounds on target over good enough distance.
Or a Bow.

+Quote Post
bannockburn
post Sep 24 2012, 10:40 AM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 51,886

I bought a battle rifle for one of my characters. She doesn't have a long weapons skill, but is very proficient with automatics, so I modded it with a barrel extension, a bipod, a tricked out imaging scope, easy breakdown and bought an MDS lined case for transportation. 7P with SA mode is a fine thing to have and the availability difference between an AM-884 and a Remington 950 is only 6R to 4R (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This being said, the sport rifle is my go-to weapon for marksman oriented characters and NPCs, for the same reasons you mentioned in the first post. There are a lot of them out there, but I seem to gravitate towards the Remington 950 in 80% of all cases.

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Sep 24 2012, 11:24 AM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 948

For your Troll sniper I suggest the PJSS Elephant Rifle.

For close quarter work (within 100 meters) you take a sawn off barrel, removed stock and a underbarrel PJSS with the same mod.

Expensive as hell but 4 barrels of doom. And a Troll can use them onehanded with no penalty.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Sep 24 2012, 11:49 AM
Post #10

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

The Ares Desert Strike is a pretty good deal.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Jareth Valar
post Sep 24 2012, 11:55 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,160

Speaking of removed stock, what modifications would that be? additional -1 recoil penalty?

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Sep 24 2012, 12:06 PM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 948

QUOTE (Jareth Valar @ Sep 24 2012, 11:55 AM) *
Speaking of removed stock, what modifications would that be? additional -1 recoil penalty?

Yea, sounds about right. Use the cost for Barrel Reduction but give -1 recoil penalty. You gain the concealability but suffer the recoil.

+Quote Post
StealthSigma
post Sep 24 2012, 02:09 PM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 17,389

QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Sep 23 2012, 09:09 PM) *
Sniper rifles are awesome. With the longest range of any non-heavy-weapon in the game and damage codes and penetration only just shy of an assault cannon, they're among the top guns in the game.
However, they do have their downsides...
They are very expensive (base model).
They are, without exception, highly illegal.
They degrade quickly in a 'firefight' (as opposed to a sniper situation. sometimes the line is hard to draw, though), and doubly so in melee.

And so, if it looks like one of these drawbacks is going to be an issue, we turn to sports rifles. Sports rifles are a mixed bag as far as functionality is concerned: Their range, while inferior to that of a true sniper rifle, is superior to most of its competitors (with the exception of battle rifles, which use the same ranges). Their damage codes tend to be either equal to or slightly inferior to sniper rifles, though this of course is dependent on the models being compared. one universal failing of the sports rifle compared to the sniper rifle is of course inferior armour penetration.
However...
Sports rifles are almost always legal to own and easy to acquire (just head down to your local weapons world).
At their cheapest, Sports rifles can be acquired at 500 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) new. For runners who need a disposable sniper rifle on a budget, this is a very solid plus point.
Sports rifles work perfectly well when used in a firefight or other tactical situation, unlike sniper rifles.

So my question to dumpshock is: which is your go-to sniping weapon?

So you've listed three drawbacks and used them as a justification to use a sports rifle over sniper rifle. There's also truly three classes of weapon to consider for marksmen (sport rifle, battle rifle, and sniper rifle). As you've already listed, the advantage to the sniper rifle is the high damage and high penetration but you've also missed the SA firing mode compared to the SS mode of the sport rifle. The battle rifle has 1P less damage than some sport rifles but makes up for it with SA mode, much higher magazines, and often the inclusion of BF and possible FA modes which offsets the -1P damage.

Damage and Fire Modes (average)
Sport Rifles - ~7.5P -1AP SS (throwing the elephant gun out as an outlier)
Battle Rifles - ~7P -1AP SA/BF
Sniper Rifles - ~7.5P -3AP SA (I threw out the Barrett 121 but I should probably throw out the Walter and PSG Enforcer due to wildly they differ from sniper rifles [can be used in combat/dual clips] for 8P -3AP SA firing modes) I wish I had more sniper rifles to look at that were more "standard" but the damn things are so wildly unique getting a good sample is tough

They are very expensive (base model). This is true. Battle rifles and sniper rifles are vastly more expensive than sport rifles. However, if you are true to your craft then cost should not be a consideration when creating the marksman. The only time that cost truly matters is when you need a disposable item. The bigger issue is availability of which sport rifles are much lower than battle rifles and sniper rifles making it easier to get your hands on one faster. Once again, that's more of a disposable criteria than anything else.

They are, without exception, highly illegal. This is a bit of a weak argument. You're essentially talking about walking around with this thing openly displayed for this to be particularly compelling but the fault lies with the fact that walking around with a sport rifle is going to attract attention anyway. So if you're going to use it then you're going to be avoiding attention anyway which doesn't give the sport rifle any advantage.

They degrade quickly in a 'firefight'. The Walter sniper rifle doesn't suffer this problem but neither do battle rifles.

All in all, my feeling has been that sporting rifles prime and sole advantage over battle rifles and sniper rifles is its disposable nature. As far as combat performance goes, they are vastly inferior to battle rifles and sniper rifles just on the grounds of having a much smaller magazine size and SS fire modes over the large magazine and SA modes that both options. Additionally, the BF fire modes available to battle rifles helps them overcome their lower damage.

--

QUOTE (Thanee @ Sep 24 2012, 07:49 AM) *
The Ares Desert Strike is a pretty good deal.

Bye
Thanee

I second this, as far as the stock sniper rifles go, this is probably the best outside of the Barrett 121. Great price, barrel extension, 8P/-3AP SA. However I've begun to prefer battle rifles for their versatility.

+Quote Post
Marwynn
post Sep 24 2012, 02:22 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 12,093

Modding a Battle Rifle to have a Drum, Full Auto, and High Velocity can get pricey but the payoff is great. The mods are F but some of the BRs are only Restricted.

That said, GH2 has some nice new sport rifles. The Terracotta Arms Caravan I think it's called is pretty nifty.

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Sep 24 2012, 02:57 PM
Post #15

Prime Runner

Member No.: 15,628

QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Sep 24 2012, 05:09 PM) *
As far as combat performance goes, they are vastly inferior to battle rifles and sniper rifles just on the grounds of having a much smaller magazine size and SS fire modes over the large magazine and SA modes that both options. Additionally, the BF fire modes available to battle rifles helps them overcome their lower damage.

There are now days quite a few good SA sport rifles available, so this is somewhat of a obsolete point.

+Quote Post
ZeroPoint
post Sep 24 2012, 03:05 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,368

QUOTE (Mäx @ Sep 24 2012, 09:57 AM) *
There are now days quite a few good SA sport rifles available, so this is somewhat of a obsolete point.

I like to think of this as a difference in classification between civilian firearms and military/security (aka, forbidden) firearms.

If its SA, then you classify it as a sniper rifle/battle rifle in legal terms, and is therefore forbidden for civilian ownership. Therefore, No weapon manufacturers are going to bother making a straight up sport rifle with SA capabilities, but is still a 5 shot internal magazine, lower power and penetration than a true sniper rifle, but all the same legal restrictions.

Its kind of like how you can't have a handgun with more than 10 rounds in it in California, even if the weapon could hold more. Or how you can't have a shotgun with a barrel shorter than (can't remember the length) or else its considered a sawed off and is therefore illegal.

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Sep 24 2012, 03:08 PM
Post #17

Prime Runner

QUOTE (ZeroPoint @ Sep 24 2012, 06:05 PM) *
I like to think of this as a difference in classification between civilian firearms and military/security (aka, forbidden) firearms.

If its SA, then you classify it as a sniper rifle/battle rifle in legal terms, and is therefore forbidden for civilian ownership. Therefore, No weapon manufacturers are going to bother making a straight up sport rifle with SA capabilities, but is still a 5 shot internal magazine, lower power and penetration than a true sniper rifle, but all the same legal restrictions.

Its kind of like how you can't have a handgun with more than 10 rounds in it in California, even if the weapon could hold more. Or how you can't have a shotgun with a barrel shorter than (can't remember the length) or else its considered a sawed off and is therefore illegal.

You do realize i was talking about ingame, Gun Heaven books add 3 or 4 new SA sport rifles(where as we only used to have 1)

+Quote Post
StealthSigma
post Sep 24 2012, 03:25 PM
Post #18

Runner

QUOTE (Mäx @ Sep 24 2012, 10:57 AM) *

Not really. The SA was only part of the difference that made battle rifles superior. The BF capability and much larger magazine size is what gives battle rifles the combat edge. Sniper rifles still have the edge in outright damage and armor penetration.

So going through Gun Heaven....
Ares Canadian Sportster - 6P/0 SA 8©

In fact, that's the only one I see in Gun Heaven so I'm not sure how this is even relevant considering it's 1.5P and 1 AP lower than the sport rifle average.

+Quote Post
Midas
post Sep 24 2012, 03:33 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 30,406

QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Sep 24 2012, 03:09 PM) *
They are, without exception, highly illegal. This is a bit of a weak argument. You're essentially talking about walking around with this thing openly displayed for this to be particularly compelling but the fault lies with the fact that walking around with a sport rifle is going to attract attention anyway. So if you're going to use it then you're going to be avoiding attention anyway which doesn't give the sport rifle any advantage.

They degrade quickly in a 'firefight'. The Walter sniper rifle doesn't suffer this problem but neither do battle rifles.

All in all, my feeling has been that sporting rifles prime and sole advantage over battle rifles and sniper rifles is its disposable nature. As far as combat performance goes, they are vastly inferior to battle rifles and sniper rifles just on the grounds of having a much smaller magazine size and SS fire modes over the large magazine and SA modes that both options. Additionally, the BF fire modes available to battle rifles helps them overcome their lower damage.

The point about sports rifles being a lower profile weapon than sniper rifles or battle rifles is a valid one. The degree of attention and suspicion the latter 2 attract is often going to be one step or more higher.

Out in the styx where paracritters can pop up at any moment, some places wouldn't look twice at someone walking into a bar and propping up their sports rifle or shotgun by their stool. A battle rifle, assault rifle or sniper rifle would be noticed, and the local marshal might surreptitiously be summoned to see what them strangers intentions are.

In the city, as Glyph said, if the cops find a sports rifle in your car a hunting license will explain its presence, while a sniper rifle, battle rifle or assault rifle might lead to a call for backup and some unpleasant questions down the precinct. Walking openly with any rifle in the suburban streets would instantly attract police attention, but in the case of the guy with the military use weapon the attention will include a scrambled SWAT helicopter.

These are the reasons my longarms characters always go for the Remmington 950, loaded with EX-EX if I feel I have to make a point. For a close-and-dirty fight, I switch to my Franchi SPAS-22 shotgun.

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Sep 24 2012, 03:42 PM
Post #20

Prime Runner

QUOTE (StealthSigma @ Sep 24 2012, 06:25 PM) *
So going through Gun Heaven....
Ares Canadian Sportster - 6P/0 SA 8©

In fact, that's the only one I see in Gun Heaven so I'm not sure how this is even relevant considering it's 1.5P and 1 AP lower than the sport rifle average.

The earlier mentioned Terracotta Arms Caravan from GH 2 is 8P AP -1 SA 10{c}, it loses -2AP and 4 rounds of ammo capacity to Ares Desert Strike, but is only 7R compared to 10F and 1/3 the cost.
QUOTE (Midas @ Sep 24 2012, 06:33 PM) *
These are the reasons my longarms characters always go for the Remmington 950

I would consider changing that to Caravan(at least for the next character or if you end up having to dump the gun on the current character) for a mere 275 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) you get SA mode and double the ammo capacity.

+Quote Post
StealthSigma
post Sep 24 2012, 03:45 PM
Post #21

Runner

QUOTE (Midas @ Sep 24 2012, 11:33 AM) *
The point about sports rifles being a lower profile weapon than sniper rifles or battle rifles is a valid one. The degree of attention and suspicion the latter 2 attract is often going to be one step or more higher.

Out in the styx where paracritters can pop up at any moment, some places wouldn't look twice at someone walking into a bar and propping up their sports rifle or shotgun by their stool. A battle rifle, assault rifle or sniper rifle would be noticed, and the local marshal might surreptitiously be summoned to see what them strangers intentions are.

In the city, as Glyph said, if the cops find a sports rifle in your car a hunting license will explain its presence, while a sniper rifle, battle rifle or assault rifle might lead to a call for backup and some unpleasant questions down the precinct. Walking openly with any rifle in the suburban streets would instantly attract police attention, but in the case of the guy with the military use weapon the attention will include a scrambled SWAT helicopter.

These are the reasons my longarms characters always go for the Remmington 950, loaded with EX-EX if I feel I have to make a point. For a close-and-dirty fight, I switch to my Franchi SPAS-22 shotgun.

It's a valid but overvalued point. If we're talking in the context of sniping (as this thread asked) then the profile is an entirely moot point since the very nature of the task of sniping necessitates stealth otherwise you're talking about being a marksman. If stealth is required then the legality of the weapon is immaterial since you're screwed if you're discovered and not on if you have a legal or illegal weapon. If you've been spotted while engaging in the task then you've failed at it and sport rifle vs sniper rifle or battle rifle doesn't matter. If the legality of of the weapon is a concern, then the SIG Sauer 574 is 9R and solves that little problem while still maintaining the BF fire mode and the much larger magazine capacity.

+Quote Post
ZeroPoint
post Sep 24 2012, 03:47 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,368

QUOTE (Mäx @ Sep 24 2012, 10:08 AM) *
You do realize i was talking about ingame, Gun Heaven books add 3 or 4 new SA sport rifles(where as we only used to have 1)

yes, but before gun heaven threw a wrench in realism, you can look at weapons like....
Arsenal - Beretta 200ST - where it says they were able to get a weapon classified as a light pistol (instead of as a machine pistol i would assume) that seems to imply that firing mode has something to do with how weapons are classified.

+Quote Post
Dolanar
post Sep 24 2012, 05:52 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 53,066

I personally went for the Barret for my Adept sniper & use it 90% of the time in combat but I also tend to move away from combat enough to make the weapon Viable while other members of the team stay in closer range

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Sep 24 2012, 06:04 PM
Post #24

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (ZeroPoint @ Sep 24 2012, 09:05 AM) *

Not true, I have a Hunting Rifle (Remington Model 64) Now that would be classified SA. They are available, and they are not Military/Security Classified.

Shotgun: 18" (though you can saw it off to that length). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
StealthSigma
post Sep 24 2012, 06:08 PM
Post #25

Runner

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 24 2012, 02:04 PM) *
Not true, I have a Hunting Rifle (Remington Model 64) Now that would be classified SA. They are available, and they are not Military/Security Classified.

Shotgun: 18" (though you can saw it off to that length). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

There's a lot of variance regarding weapon laws across the United States. Which is another point to bring up regarding the profile/availability/legality of battle/sport/sniper rifles. This came up and bit me in another thread. The availabilities listed for weapons are only indicative for Seattle (though some case could be made that options presented in a book that is fluffy elsewhere are availability for there). That means that while battle rifles may be F in Seattle, out in the barrens with the nasty paracritters that may only be considered restricted due to the meatier threats. Pg313 of SR4A under legality for anyone who doubts.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 08:56 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.