Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Legalese for a pbp Post, Anyone know?
Aria
post Oct 31 2012, 01:57 PM
Post #1

Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 18,267

This is possibly over cautious but in our 2072 pbp we are preparing a post that will take the form of a Jackpoint thread with shadow comments etc from the well known faces. If it was a table top game I'd think no more of it, it's just a player resource, but in this case do we need to add some sort of disclaimer about the use of the Fastjack handle etc? Have other people done this if they've NPC'd a canon figure?

Thanks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RelentlessImp
post Oct 31 2012, 03:51 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,020

"Warning: The opinions expressed herein are not to be taken seriously, licentiously, or even fallaciously. All canon characters belong to their respective license holders, and are used under the Fair Use Policy Act 17 U.S.C. § 107."

Seems a little overzealous to put a disclaimer on some roleplay materials, though.

+Quote Post
Grinchy McScroog...
post Oct 31 2012, 05:26 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 33,321

QUOTE (RelentlessImp @ Oct 31 2012, 11:51 AM) *
Seems a little overzealous to put a disclaimer on some roleplay materials, though.

Better safe than sorry. Some companies could give a rat's ass, but some will sue the pants off you just for looking at them cross-eyed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Nov 1 2012, 02:48 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Using an NPC made for a game in that game would fall under "fair use", I would think. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)

+Quote Post
RdMarquis
post Nov 1 2012, 03:50 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 48,557

Besides, they've statted quite a few of these characters out various books. I'm pretty sure if the Jackpointers weren't intended to be used in games, there wouldn't be any info on them.

+Quote Post
_Pax._
post Nov 1 2012, 02:19 PM
Post #6

Neophyte Runner

Group: Validating
Member No.: 51,818

QUOTE (Glyph @ Oct 31 2012, 10:48 PM) *
Using an NPC made for a game in that game would fall under "fair use", I would think. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)

IANAL, but I tend to agree with this POV.

+Quote Post
taeksosin
post Nov 1 2012, 02:24 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 38,733

QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Nov 1 2012, 07:19 AM) *
IANAL, but I tend to agree with this POV.

Now see, I instantly translate that as iANAL, and then I start wondering when Apple demanded that you have your colonic map on file with them.
I blame the lack of sleep, and the hatred born of fixing the dang things for a living.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 09:45 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.