Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Houserule: Commlink Memory Upgrade, Please add your comments
NiL_FisK_Urd
post Nov 11 2012, 02:47 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 43,494

I alwasy found it disturbing that a hacker needs a high-response commlink to be able to run some programs without resorting to tricks like custom software suites or using remote access software on a vehicle-mounted nexus. Therefore i came up with the following custom commlink modification:

Commlink Memory Upgrade

Memory upgrade increases your processor limit by its rating and cannot exceed your response. It uses one upgrade slot on your commlink and has the same aviability and price as response modules.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Nov 11 2012, 03:17 PM
Post #2

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

Well, that might work, but it's not all that necessary. Just get Ergonomic software that runs without counting against the system limit. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
NiL_FisK_Urd
post Nov 11 2012, 03:43 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

You can only run [System] Ergonomic Programs at once, so you have 3 Programs more on a DR3 comlink (for a max. of 12), whereas with my fix you could run 18 Programs on a DR3 Memory 3 comlink.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Nov 11 2012, 03:53 PM
Post #4

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Nov 11 2012, 08:43 AM) *
You can only run [System] Ergonomic Programs at once, so you have 3 Programs more on a DR3 comlink (for a max. of 12), whereas with my fix you could run 18 Programs on a DR3 Memory 3 comlink.

And why is that useful, exactly? DR3 comlinks should not be doing such things. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Besides, that is what Response Enhancers are for. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
NiL_FisK_Urd
post Nov 11 2012, 04:18 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Response Enhancers only boost matrix initiative.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Nov 11 2012, 04:38 PM
Post #6

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Nov 11 2012, 09:18 AM) *
Response Enhancers only boost matrix initiative.

Yes, which is the only real thing you need to worry about when running programs. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Between those and Ergonomic, you are generally able to run more programs than you really need. Hell, I have a hacker that runs 25 or so programs. 4 of which are IC with payloads. If I was to remove the IC, well, I could fit my entire Program payload into a R3 Comlink. *shrug*

+Quote Post
NiL_FisK_Urd
post Nov 11 2012, 06:03 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Matrix defense uses Response + Firewall - now, if you run with Response 5(1) (normal/reduced), you have a hard time if IC spots you.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Nov 11 2012, 10:01 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Nov 11 2012, 08:47 AM) *

Commlink Memory Upgrade

Memory upgrade increases your processor limit by its rating and cannot exceed your response. It uses one upgrade slot on your commlink and has the same aviability and price as response modules.

Is this like a dual-core processor? You have two Response chips in the same device so it gets to use both for program lists?

QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Nov 11 2012, 09:43 AM) *

That's until system freeze, correct? When I see DR 3 I think that you can run 5 programs - 3 Ergonomic and two regular, without any response hit.

I also wonder why someone with a DR3 'link is trying to hack...

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Nov 12 2012, 03:50 PM
Post #9

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Neraph @ Nov 11 2012, 03:01 PM) *
That's until system freeze, correct? When I see DR 3 I think that you can run 5 programs - 3 Ergonomic and two regular, without any response hit.

I also wonder why someone with a DR3 'link is trying to hack...

This... You CAN hack with a DR3 'Link, but why would you want to do so?

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Nov 12 2012, 03:51 PM
Post #10

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Nov 11 2012, 11:03 AM) *
Matrix defense uses Response + Firewall - now, if you run with Response 5(1) (normal/reduced), you have a hard time if IC spots you.

Sure... And if you get seen by those IC, you deserve what you get. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Always better to sleaze than to fight. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
If you get seen, drop a Bait Worm and move along.

+Quote Post
NiL_FisK_Urd
post Nov 12 2012, 04:00 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

A lucky roll and you are spotted - and then you are toasted.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Nov 12 2012, 04:22 PM
Post #12

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Nov 12 2012, 09:00 AM) *
A lucky roll and you are spotted - and then you are toasted.

SO you get spotted. Drop a Bait Worm and Run.
That is what they are for, after all.

+Quote Post
_Pax._
post Nov 12 2012, 06:14 PM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Group: Validating
Member No.: 51,818

QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Nov 11 2012, 10:43 AM) *

If yu're running a commlink with stats of 3 across the board, and you're a hacker? Save some corp the ammunition, and just off yourself now.

Seriously. There is no reason not to have 4's or 5's for your hacker. NONE. Just getting the Singularity Battle Buddy Basic, means you have 5's across the board (plus both Armor 5 and Hardening 5).

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Nov 12 2012, 06:22 PM
Post #14

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Nov 12 2012, 11:14 AM) *
If yu're running a commlink with stats of 3 across the board, and you're a hacker? Save some corp the ammunition, and just off yourself now.

Seriously. There is no reason not to have 4's or 5's for your hacker. NONE. Just getting the Singularity Battle Buddy Basic, means you have 5's across the board (plus both Armor 5 and Hardening 5).

Battle Buddy for the Win. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Of course, if you upgrade from there, or purchase one of the advanced Military Comlinks, then you are cooking with Gas. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
_Pax._
post Nov 12 2012, 06:56 PM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Yeah, being able to upgrade to 7's,without having to buy a whole new hardware package, is a very attractive component of the Battle Buddy.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Nov 12 2012, 07:07 PM
Post #16

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Nov 12 2012, 11:56 AM) *
Yeah, being able to upgrade to 7's,without having to buy a whole new hardware package, is a very attractive component of the Battle Buddy.

Yep...

+Quote Post
Falconer
post Nov 12 2012, 07:14 PM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 13,662

Yeah, this is a badly thought out upgrade. I could see maybe 1 extra program limit for an upgrade slot but a full doubling?! Even clustering 2 commlinks together gets no benefit on this account! It's not until you cluster 4 full fledged commlinks together than you end up with double the process limit.

Really you want more program limit... you should be running a bigger response chip in the first place! That's why that upgrade and the rules for building your own equipment are there.

If you call yourself a hacker... there is no excuse whatsoever not to have at the very least a 5 to start. (okay maybe a 4 if you start with a best quality non-modded commlink from the core rulebook).

+Quote Post
NiL_FisK_Urd
post Nov 12 2012, 08:40 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Well, this is for a low-power campaign with max. rating 3 and avail 8 for gear.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Nov 12 2012, 09:10 PM
Post #19

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Nov 12 2012, 01:40 PM) *

Well, sounds like your Hacker will have to upgrade soon then. *shrug* (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Or use a custom Nexus with High Program Limits, but low availability. *shrug*
Or heck, even some of the published ones. There are Nexi out there with Availability of 8 and a 50 processor Limit, after all.

+Quote Post
_Pax._
post Nov 12 2012, 10:56 PM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Nov 12 2012, 03:40 PM) *

O_o

IMO, your GM needs to reconsider that "max rating 3" thing. Especially for a Hacker, that's a serious limitation. Maybe bump it to 4?

Because, well ... that Singularity Battle Buddy Basic? Availability 8R.

*shrug*

Alternately, as Tymaeus suggests, get a Nexus. The [u]Renraku Hotspot[/b] is Response 3, Signal 3, System 3, Firewall 2 - with a processor limit of 20. Costs 5,000¥, Availability 8. A mere 75¥ ups the Firewall to R3.

Compare that to a Nexus Airwave running Iris Orb (net 3-3-3-3) for 2,250¥.

Granted, a nexus is not a pocket-sized thing, but ... AHA. The Evo Roving Hub drone holds an Evo Mobile Terminus nexus. Response 3, Signal 5, System 3, Firewall 3, Processor Limit 50, Persona Limit 20. And, being a drone, it carries itself around.

+Quote Post
Falconer
post Nov 12 2012, 11:20 PM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 13,662

Or you could simply cluster 4 cheap commlinks together to keep it small and together. Now that i see what you're saying a bit more, think you're making a mountain out of molehill here. I've found these street level games a lot of fun.

Response 3, system 3, Signal whatever, proc limit 6 is pretty easy to do that way. Persona limit 4.

With optomization and ergonomic program options... pretty easy to run 8 programs at once while keeping your response at 2, yeah you only get 5 if you want to keep your response 3. Or by clustering get yourself up to 14. The limit isn't on programs loaded it's on programs running. You don't need your browse or edit running... shut it down for example. It only gets problematic I find once you start trying to run secondary independent agents with their own program loads (not agents loaded into your persona which can use programs loaded into your persona).

Pax... its not a huge problem the low avail/rating... because the opposition will most likely be similar... and it makes player skill more important since equipment numbers are smaller.

+Quote Post
_Pax._
post Nov 12 2012, 11:46 PM
Post #22

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Falconer @ Nov 12 2012, 06:20 PM) *
Pax... its not a huge problem the low avail/rating... because the opposition will most likely be similar... and it makes player skill more important since equipment numbers are smaller.

Ehm. I disagree. Armor, Attack, Stealth, Exploit, Analyze. There's five programs right there. Add in Browse and Edit, and you're at seven. Those're pretty bread-and-butter for hacking, wouldn't you agree?

An R3 'link, max use of Ergonomic, can handle 5 tops, before degrading.

An R4 'link, that limit jumps to seven. Convenient, that, neh?

Also it's a shame to cut the Hermes Ikon out, just because it's Signal 4.

I'd suggest allowing Commlinks to have up to two points above that R3 limit. You can either pile those both onto one stat - Signal 5, or Firewall 5 - or spread them out - Response 4 and System 4.

Or just go Ockham's Razor on it, and say "R4 limit". Even just "R4 limit for matrix stats", maybe.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Nov 12 2012, 11:55 PM
Post #23

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (_Pax._ @ Nov 12 2012, 04:46 PM) *
Ehm. I disagree. Armor, Attack, Stealth, Exploit, Analyze. There's five programs right there. Add in Browse and Edit, and you're at seven. Those're pretty bread-and-butter for hacking, wouldn't you agree?

An R3 'link, max use of Ergonomic, can handle 5 tops, before degrading.

An R4 'link, that limit jumps to seven. Convenient, that, neh?

Also it's a shame to cut the Hermes Ikon out, just because it's Signal 4.

I'd suggest allowing Commlinks to have up to two points above that R3 limit. You can either pile those both onto one stat - Signal 5, or Firewall 5 - or spread them out - Response 4 and System 4.

Or just go Ockham's Razor on it, and say "R4 limit". Even just "R4 limit for matrix stats", maybe.

Who is this Ockham of which you speak? And why is he using a Razor?

+Quote Post
Halinn
post Nov 12 2012, 11:58 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 18,786

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Nov 13 2012, 12:55 AM) *
Who is this Ockham of which you speak? And why is he using a Razor?

I think he invented some kind of really awesome sharpening technique for small blades.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Nov 13 2012, 12:03 AM
Post #25

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Halinn @ Nov 12 2012, 04:58 PM) *
I think he invented some kind of really awesome sharpening technique for small blades.

Ahhh. Gotcha... Makes sense now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:50 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.