Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Staff Swords, and jabbing people with scabbards
FXcalibur
post Apr 20 2004, 04:47 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,206

Hi, I'm new to SR and looking for stats for a thin blade concealed in a staff. My character is a bit of a pacifist, and I want the staff to be his foci. The staff would be slightly rectangular, all wood and probably around 1.5 metres in length. The sword would be around 1 metre long with a thin, straight blade and no hilt, because the hilt is part of the staff and blends in.

Can anybody provide me with stats? :)

Another question: If the staff is a foci or bonded weapon, will both parts of the staff (staff itself and the sword) count as foci if they are seperated?

Also, what would damage would jabbing someone with the tip of a sword scabbard do?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Neon Tiger
post Apr 20 2004, 04:49 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,497

Make it a spear, Conceal N/A, Damage (Str+4) L, Reach 2, and be done with it.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Apr 20 2004, 04:51 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

1) welcome!!

2)same stats as a sword, I would assume. Conceal 8 or better for detecting its a sword-cane.

3) (Str)M Stun? maybe (str+1)M Stun?

Are you making the "Blind Fury" guy? 8)

This post has been edited by kevyn668: Apr 20 2004, 04:52 PM

+Quote Post
RangerJoe
post Apr 20 2004, 04:54 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,897

I'd only give (Str + 1) L for poking someone with a scabbard. Yes, it's metal/wood, but you're _poking_ them. That requires some serious talent to do damage.

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Apr 20 2004, 04:55 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 6,191

If you look in Cannon Companion, you'll find the gun cane has a concealability of 9 (to detect that it's anything more than a cane). A sword staff would probably have comparable concealability stats, except that the actual cane has a conc. of 2 and i doubt you could hide a staff (non-telescoping) anyplace.

Wacking someone with the staff would do (str+2)M stun and getting stabby with the sword would do (str+2)M physical, although for a rapier, i'd probably say (str+1) or just (str)M.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Apr 20 2004, 04:56 PM
Post #6

Runner

QUOTE (Smiley)
If you look in Cannon Companion, you'll find the gun cane has a concealability of 9 (to detect that it's anything more than a cane). A sword staff would probably have comparable concealability stats, except that the actual cane has a conc. of 2 and i doubt you could hide a staff (non-telescoping) anyplace.

I bet I could think of some place.... :grinbig:

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 20 2004, 04:57 PM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

For the staff/sword: How much handle would it have? Exactly how thin and light do you want it to be? It could be just a "Sword", or it could even be a Claymore, or if it's of extremely good workmanship it might count as "Katana" *shudder*. With your description I'd go with Sword if you want it to be a one-handed weapon.

A Sword in Shadowrun has these stats: Concealability 4, Reach 1, (STR + 2)M, Weight 1kg, Availability 3/24hrs, Cost 500 :nuyen:, Street Index 1, Legality 4-B. Check SR3 p. 275.

I'd say you'd have to make the sword the focus. Then when you've got it all together as the staff, you're still holding the sword as well. If you want a Weapon Focus, you'd have to decide whether you want the staff or the sword -- if you had the sword as a Weapon Focus, the staff would not count as one, at least not while I'd be GMing.

If this is a completely rigid, hard scabbard, use the stats of a club. (STR + 1)M Stun.

+Quote Post
Lantzer
post Apr 20 2004, 04:58 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,335

I think there's a sword-cane in the Cannon Companion. The stats should work.

Jabbing with a sword-scabbard is much like jabbing with any other improvised club.

Now, that taken care of;
Um, why does a pacifist make a point of carrying a concealed sword?
Heck, even a staff is a big weapon to cart around.

sword = large device for chopping people into bits.
staff = large device for smashing people into pulp.
pacifist = Somebody who doesn't like people hurting other people, i.e. not turning people into bits/pulp.

May I suggest a taser, shock wand, shock gloves, sap, narcojet, or Drug-a-Thug (basically a melee narcojet)?
---------
I'm not saying anything about you personally - I just find it funny how many pacifists in SR are such nasty monsters in combat.

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Apr 20 2004, 04:59 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 6,191

QUOTE (kevyn668)
QUOTE (Smiley @ Apr 20 2004, 04:55 PM)

I bet I could think of some place.... :grinbig:

If you can fit a non-telescoping staff THERE, i'd hate to hear what your hobbies are like. :grinbig:

+Quote Post
FXcalibur
post Apr 20 2004, 05:06 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,206

Because it's primarily his foci, and its' an heirloom :D

In gameplay terms, being a pacifist doesn't mean I can't kill anything (that's total pacist, IIRC). I realized that I might come into a situation when my teammates or other people in need need to be protected. I assume not everyone in SR can be reasoned with.

Thanks for the fast replies, guys :)

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 20 2004, 05:17 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

QUOTE (FXcalibur)
its' an heirloom

Then it has to be a katana. Sorry, but them's the rules.

+Quote Post
Connor
post Apr 20 2004, 05:25 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,652

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
QUOTE (FXcalibur)
its' an heirloom

And inhabited by an ancient evil Japanese spirit that will eventually use the PC to accomplish it's goals and attain it's freedom from the weapon!!!

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Apr 20 2004, 05:29 PM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

QUOTE (Connor)
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator @ Apr 20 2004, 12:17 PM)
QUOTE (FXcalibur)
its' an heirloom

And inhabited by an ancient evil Japanese spirit that will eventually use the PC to accomplish it's goals and attain it's freedom from the weapon!!!

By switching places with the PC who has been wielding it.

+Quote Post
gknoy
post Apr 20 2004, 05:29 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,835

QUOTE (FXcalibur)

Because it's primarily his foci, and its' an heirloom :D

single: focus.
plural: foci.

Thus, the sword would be his focus.

Sorry, this is one of my pet peeves . . . :)

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Apr 20 2004, 05:53 PM
Post #15

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

QUOTE (FXcalibur)
being a pacifist doesn't mean I can't kill anything (that's total pacist, IIRC). I realized that I might come into a situation when my teammates or other people in need need to be protected. I assume not everyone in SR can be reasoned with.

Uh, if you KILL SOMEONE, I'm pretty sure you are not a pacifist.

Our friend dictionary.com states a pacifist as: "Opposition to war or violence as a means of resolving disputes."
Hence you do not hurt people. Ever. You negociate, and if you can't convinve the person to see things your way, you either back down or find away around the problem. Stun weapons could be acceptable, though, because as you point it you are not a Total Pacifist. But sharp pointed objects are a no-no.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 20 2004, 06:02 PM
Post #16

Great Dragon

As far as RL and logic is concerned, Backgammon is absolutely right. Rules do say otherwise, however. The Pacifist-flaw is described so that someone with it can kill someone in self defense and not feel too bad about it. It might be really silly, but that's how it's written.

The Total Pacifist is really what the RL word "pacifist" refers to. The Pacifist flaw is simply someone somewhat pincipled.

+Quote Post
Grey
post Apr 20 2004, 06:03 PM
Post #17

Runner

Member No.: 100

While you are right with that, you are not right by the Shadowrun flaw.

There are two different flaws in Shadowrun for pacifism.

Pacifist (2 points) - Character never kills, save in self-defense. (ie: won't do wetwork)

Total Pacifist (5 points) - Character cannot kill any living being. If he does so, he suffers depression for 2d6 weeks.

+Quote Post
broho_pcp
post Apr 20 2004, 06:44 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,054

T.P. -> like Batman (on the depression and not killing thing)

+Quote Post
Blades
post Apr 20 2004, 06:47 PM
Post #19

Target

Member No.: 2,527

I would make it into a Stacked foci as by MiTS page 44.
Never thourght about combining two weapon foci before but.... everything got to have a first.

In general I like the idea, and would probaly rule that, when you have drawn the sword, you got two foci with a combined rating equal to the stacked foci.

While not fitting the rules of stacked foci completely (not being one all the time), I would probaly rule that the two parts can only be apart a number of days equal to the rating of the stacked foci, thereafter they loose one point of rating, any additional extension of the period equal to the new rating would mean an additional loose of rating ...... This might give the GM some "fun" plot lines to compensate for the twisting of the Stacked foci rules.

But as a note I would probaly only rule a combination of either rapier/Club or sword/Club possible, and not a telescoping staff.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Apr 20 2004, 06:47 PM
Post #20

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

Does Batman still get depressed if Van Helsing kills the moon on which Batman is riding?

p.s. My apologies to anyone who doesn't get this reference.
p.p.s. Come to think of it, my apologies to everyone else, as well. :P

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 20 2004, 06:59 PM
Post #21

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

I'm quite surprised people are suggesting that a staff should be (Str)L or (Str+1)L. Come on. If it's (Str)L, why don't you just punch for (Str)M?

(Str+1)M, at least. Maybe +2.

Of course, hand to hand should be base L, but that's another matter entirely.

+Quote Post
Lantzer
post Apr 20 2004, 07:13 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,335

QUOTE (Arethusa)
I'm quite surprised people are suggesting that a staff should be (Str)L or (Str+1)L. Come on. If it's (Str)L, why don't you just punch for (Str)M?

(Str+1)M, at least. Maybe +2.

Of course, hand to hand should be base L, but that's another matter entirely.

Staffs have Reach.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 20 2004, 07:16 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

SR3 already gives (STR + 2)M Stun for a Staff.

The (STR + 1)L Stun was for poking with the scabbard. Which is about right, because no sane human being would poke someone with a scabbard instead of beating them barehanded. Wacking someone with the scabbard, however, could be equated to an improvised Club, as was mentioned, thus (STR + 1)M Stun.

And yes, that's another matter entirely, and one which should probably be polled about so that it gets changed in a few years when SR4 comes out. :)

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Apr 20 2004, 07:25 PM
Post #24

Runner

QUOTE (Lantzer)
I think there's a sword-cane in the Cannon Companion. The stats should work.

Jabbing with a sword-scabbard is much like jabbing with any other improvised club.

Now, that taken care of;
Heck, even a staff is a big weapon to cart around.

sword = large device for chopping people into bits.
staff = large device for smashing people into pulp.
pacifist = Somebody who doesn't like people hurting other people, i.e. not turning people into bits/pulp.

May I suggest a taser, shock wand, shock gloves, sap, narcojet, or Drug-a-Thug (basically a melee narcojet)?
---------
I'm not saying anything about you personally - I just find it funny how many pacifists in SR are such nasty monsters in combat.

I was wondering how long it would take for some to ask about this. I thought it would be much sooner.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 20 2004, 07:38 PM
Post #25

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

Eh. One can have strong issues with unnecessary bloodshed but still be willing to kill. Though staff swords, in the traditional sense, were only intended to visually hide the swords after they were made illegal after the Bakufu period by the new emperor, Meiji.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 01:30 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.