Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Needing some assistance with a 400BP Magician Concept
Sinistra
post Nov 27 2012, 07:15 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 55,370

So, my GM shot down a good few of my concepts (I guess he did not want a vampire, and I am going to have to pass on any other infected.) But again I come to you guys for some ideas, since I need someone to bounce ideas off but I do not want to talk with my fellow players, ruins the surprises.

Books I can use:
20th Core Book
Arsenal
Augmentation
Running Wild
Runner's Companion
Street Magic
Unwired

400 BP is the start, and for races I am going between human or Gnome.

I am restricted to level 12 stuff.

I also do not have access to the restricted gear Positive Quality. (The one that lets you get gear above availability 12.)

After basic creation I then have 107 Karma, and 114,840 Nuyen after the 400 in character creation.

Story: The character was former Corp Mage(I need to choose one, I am expecting something like Lonestar), who would go out into the field essentially asa combat mage. The character did something to piss the boss off, and the boss put them on a lot of shitty jobs as punishment and was in general making my Characters job suck. So eventually PC gets fed up with it, and in anger identically does something that gets there Corporate SIN burned/turned into a Criminal Sin, and my PC, due to this now has to Run the Shadows to live in the lifestyle they wanted, and they always enjoyed the thrill of field work, just another reason to keep them going.

This was a general idea I was going with as I try to find a concept for why my Mage would be running. I welcome discussion about Mages (I will be using Spirits), Traditions, potential builds and the lot. I am will to use up to 1 Essence in Cyber/Bioware.

Special Rules:
Do not worry about Contact Costs
Essence Loss only reduces maximum Magic
Armor Encumbrance threshold Bod+Str

Most of our other special rules should not have a great effect.

I will be back later to add more as needed and discuss then but I wanted to get this up tonight.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Nov 27 2012, 02:37 PM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

Fun with Free/Ally Spirits!
Vehicles, Drones, and Agents
Mandatory matrix tools for infiltrators, street samurai, and gunslingers, or...
Commlink security for non-hackers
Drone Sweet Drone

... To get started.

More information would help if we had your character build to look at.

+Quote Post
Raiden
post Nov 27 2012, 04:04 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 53,120

like neraph said, not a WHOLE lot of info. if your looking for broad build advice I would suggest heavy on the magic and grabbing some automatics and an assault rifle /smartgun link and glasses. power focus R4. you got enough karma for about 3 initiations it seems if you want that many. but more info on your build would be helpful

+Quote Post
Raiden
Post #4

Moving Target

like neraph said, not a WHOLE lot of info. if your looking for broad build advice I would suggest heavy on the magic and grabbing some automatics and an assault rifle /smartgun link and glasses. power focus R4. you got enough karma for about 3 initiations it seems if you want that many. but more info on your build would be helpful

+Quote Post
Raiden
Post #5

Moving Target

+Quote Post
Raiden
Post #6

Moving Target

o wow, howd that triple post happen O.o

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Nov 27 2012, 04:53 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,304

I'm afb right now, but I'm pretty sure you can only get a rating 2 power focus without restricted gear.
A little cyber is nice, but you can get a lot more magical bang spending the money on foci, without screwing up your max magic. As in a rating 3 health sustaining focus sustaining 3 hits worth of a improved initiative spell is equal to wired reflexes 2, without being illegal. A rating 2 power focus gives you +2 to most magic related rolls. You can get a rating 3 or 4 casting focus for a spell category. +2 + +4 = +6. With magic of 6, spell casting of 6 and specialization or totem bonuses, that's 20 dice.

For overall concept, I usually like to pick a totem and build from there. Specialize in what the totem gives you a boost in. If you're a good spellcaster, rolling 12 - 14 dice or so in general, but roll 20 for manipulation spells, your character would be a sought after commodity. Same with conjuring. And I like to build the personality around the totem as well. I'm not a great role-player, but I get bonus points for scratching behind my ear, or giving a low warning growl if I'm playing a Dog shaman. Little stuff like that. There's good write-ups in one of the earlier books about the personalities of the totems and their followers.

As others have already said, for anything specific more info would be needed.

+Quote Post
Halinn
post Nov 27 2012, 05:00 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 18,786

With the substantial amount of karma available, getting 20+ dice for drain resist is also an option: centering, R2 centering focus, quickening (two stats to 9) gets you 22, for a reasonably low cost (29 for initiations, 18 for quickenings, and a bit for the focus). With the max essence houserule, you could get some 'ware on top of that for good effect.

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Nov 27 2012, 05:27 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

If you use the RAW initiation rules, where you have to initiate to raise your max, then improve your magic attribute as a stat, it's crazy not to start out with a magic of 6.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Nov 27 2012, 05:37 PM
Post #10

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Nov 27 2012, 10:27 AM) *
If you use the RAW initiation rules, where you have to initiate to raise your max, then improve your magic attribute as a stat, it's crazy not to start out with a magic of 6.

Not really... do it all the time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Nov 27 2012, 05:48 PM
Post #11

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Nov 27 2012, 10:53 AM) *
A rating 2 power focus gives you +2 to most magic related rolls. You can get a rating 3 or 4 casting focus for a spell category. +2 + +4 = +6. With magic of 6, spell casting of 6 and specialization or totem bonuses, that's 20 dice.

Foci don't stack.

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Nov 27 2012, 11:37 AM) *
Not really... do it all the time. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Just because you make it work doesn't mean it isn't the statistically weaker position.

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Nov 27 2012, 06:06 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Neraph @ Nov 27 2012, 10:48 AM) *
Foci don't stack.

Right. I guess I knew that. But my point holds up. For a mage, foci are, mostly, better than cyber.

+Quote Post
Sinistra
post Nov 27 2012, 07:55 PM
Post #13

Target

Well I had not really done abuild yet since that was some of the advice I was looking for. I had started one last night and I will finish it right now and post up what I am looking at Pre Karma

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Nov 27 2012, 08:56 PM
Post #14

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Neraph @ Nov 27 2012, 10:48 AM) *
Just because you make it work doesn't mean it isn't the statistically weaker position.

If I can make it work, surely more experienced guru's like yourself should have absolutely no issues with doing so either, right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Nov 27 2012, 10:43 PM
Post #15

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Nov 27 2012, 02:56 PM) *
If I can make it work, surely more experienced guru's like yourself should have absolutely no issues with doing so either, right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Correct, but being able to do something and willing to suffer through something are two different things. It's similar to creating a gunman with only one arm - his offhand one. Sure you can do it, but it is sub-optimal in an extreme. I've even recently made a mundane summoner using the Calling rules, a Formula Pact, and having the spirit as a Contact. It's a very interesting character, but not one I see myself playing often.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Nov 27 2012, 11:25 PM
Post #16

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Neraph @ Nov 27 2012, 03:43 PM) *
Correct, but being able to do something and willing to suffer through something are two different things. It's similar to creating a gunman with only one arm - his offhand one. Sure you can do it, but it is sub-optimal in an extreme. I've even recently made a mundane summoner using the Calling rules, a Formula Pact, and having the spirit as a Contact. It's a very interesting character, but not one I see myself playing often.

See, there you go again, making assumptions without a basis in fact. Who is suffering, exactly? Certainly not the characters I play, nor myself as a Player, so I am a bit confused here. Care to enlighten the rest of us dumb hicks?

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Nov 28 2012, 12:22 AM
Post #17

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Nov 27 2012, 04:25 PM) *
See, there you go again, making assumptions without a basis in fact. Who is suffering, exactly? Certainly not the characters I play, nor myself as a Player, so I am a bit confused here. Care to enlighten the rest of us dumb hicks?

You are doing that on purpose, right?

+Quote Post
UmaroVI
post Nov 28 2012, 03:02 AM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 18,778

You may want to take a look at the Burnout Combat Mage in the first link of my sig for a starting point. Change Dwarf to Gnome, you get Magic 4 and pay 10 less points than listed, lose Restricted Gear and maybe consider dropping that power focus (IMO, f2 is not worth starting with - bond a better one in game). You'd then have some leftover points to spend.

Given that you're getting karma/nuyen after the base generation, I would actually start with no foci during chargen and bond a f4 sustaining focus (for Increase Reflexes) immediately, then save up for a good high-force Power Focus.

You'll have a decent amount of loose BP; Reaction, Edge, Binding, Arcana (so you can join a magical group - you'd really want to start out doing so with the banked karma, so I'd check with your GM about that) and better skills in general are all good places to put it.

+Quote Post
Sinistra
post Nov 28 2012, 03:56 AM
Post #19

Target

QUOTE (UmaroVI @ Nov 28 2012, 03:02 AM) *
You may want to take a look at the Burnout Combat Mage in the first link of my sig for a starting point. Change Dwarf to Gnome, you get Magic 4 and pay 10 less points than listed, lose Restricted Gear and maybe consider dropping that power focus (IMO, f2 is not worth starting with - bond a better one in game). You'd then have some leftover points to spend.

Given that you're getting karma/nuyen after the base generation, I would actually start with no foci during chargen and bond a f4 sustaining focus (for Increase Reflexes) immediately, then save up for a good high-force Power Focus.

You'll have a decent amount of loose BP; Reaction, Edge, Binding, Arcana (so you can join a magical group - you'd really want to start out doing so with the banked karma, so I'd check with your GM about that) and better skills in general are all good places to put it.

Thanks Umaro, I will look it over.

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Nov 28 2012, 10:56 AM
Post #20

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,310

I see gnomes mentioned fairly frequently what is it that makes them so attractive?

+Quote Post
Elfenlied
post Nov 28 2012, 11:19 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,018

First question: Do you want to use a materialization or possession based tradition?
Materialization: Allows you to spontaneously summon spirits to your aid, while keeping your character out of the fray. Nothing says Alpha strike like 6 spirits laying the smackdown on some unsuspecting chum.
Possession: Grants access to a very versatile skillset with the option of making your character very tough, at the cost of needing vessels for spirits to contribute. Generally, this means that you need to take the Enchanting skill if you wish to have more than one spirit participate in an activity at the same time.

My personal preference for combat mages is possession, but both can work well.

Second question: Which traditions do you prefer? Specifically, which drain attribute (other than Willpower) do you want?
Charisma: Not easily boostable (other than drugs, optional rules or the Increase Charisma spell), but Elves get a nice +2 bonus to it, making it the highest drain related attribute bonus in the game among the standard metatypes. Charisma has synergy with social skills, allowing you to pick up the role of face if you want to. It also determines the maximum number of bound spirits you can have. Strong traditions include Voodoo (Possession), Norse (Materialization) and Shinto (Materialization), although the standard Shamanistic is also viable.
Intuition: Very hard to boost, and no standard metatype has a bonus to this attribute. The plus side is that only trolls get a penalty, allowing you to have a viable Orc combat mage, which can be very tough. Also, Intuition is linked to both Perception and Initiave, two of the most important values for combat oriented characters. Strong traditions include Hedge Witchcraft (possession) and Druidic (materialization).
Logic: Easily boostable thanks to Cerebral boosters. The downside is that skill synergies tend to be somewhat non-traditional, making Hardware, First Aid and Demolitions good choices. The strongest mechanical choice for a Logic mage is Dwarf/Gnome, since they get a Willpower bonus. Strong traditions include Qabbalistic (Possession) and Zoroastrian (Materilaization).

Those choices will have a large impact on the overall style and feel of the character, while always being a viable choice for a combat mage. That said, here are some pointers that always apply:
-Get loaded on foci during chargen. You pay through the nose when binding those with Karma, so go wild during chargen. I recommend a F2 Power Focus (applies to almost everything) and a F3 Sustaining Focus (Healing spells; for Iniative passes) as the bare minimum.
-Hardmax magic at chargen. As others have mentioned, your houserules heavily favor this approach. Specifically, start with Magic 6, use some of the Karma to Initiate, and then buy your 'ware with the money you have. This way, you'll lose nothing.
-Spells that are always useful: Stunbolt, Increase Reflexes and Heal. Everything else boils down to flavor. Most of the spells I've listed in your Vampire thread apply here too.

QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Nov 28 2012, 11:56 AM) *
I see gnomes mentioned fairly frequently what is it that makes them so attractive?

Arcane Arrester. And you get to look like a child.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Nov 28 2012, 02:06 PM
Post #22

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Nov 27 2012, 05:22 PM) *
You are doing that on purpose, right?

Doing What? Making a point? Yes, I was making a point, on purpose. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Nov 28 2012, 05:15 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Nov 28 2012, 04:56 AM) *

Arcane Arrestor. Resist spells at half force? Yes please.

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Nov 28 2012, 05:52 PM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,310

QUOTE (Neraph @ Nov 28 2012, 06:15 PM) *
Arcane Arrestor. Resist spells at half force? Yes please.

Would you kindly pick up that duck?

+Quote Post
Sinistra
post Nov 28 2012, 07:42 PM
Post #25

Target

QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Nov 28 2012, 11:19 AM) *
Those choices will have a large impact on the overall style and feel of the character, while always being a viable choice for a combat mage. That said, here are some pointers that always apply:
-Get loaded on foci during chargen. You pay through the nose when binding those with Karma, so go wild during chargen. I recommend a F2 Power Focus (applies to almost everything) and a F3 Sustaining Focus (Healing spells; for Iniative passes) as the bare minimum.
-Hardmax magic at chargen. As others have mentioned, your houserules heavily favor this approach. Specifically, start with Magic 6, use some of the Karma to Initiate, and then buy your 'ware with the money you have. This way, you'll lose nothing.
-Spells that are always useful: Stunbolt, Increase Reflexes and Heal. Everything else boils down to flavor. Most of the spells I've listed in your Vampire thread apply here too.

The vampire thread did teach me a lot, I was disappointed when it got shot down.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:59 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.