IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

40 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 5E Wish List, Or 'What I want for Christmas'.
Tashiro
post Dec 21 2012, 04:58 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,847

Thinking about SR5, I decided I'd figure out a few things I'd like to see in it.

1) I'd like to see Technomancers following rules more closely to those of Mages, just for ease of play. Follow the same basic ruleset, but tailored to the Matrix, and we're good to go.

2) I'd like to see a more fleshed out section on Astral Space, and what we can do there.

3) I'd like for 'cosmetic' cyberware / bioware, to not have an Essence Cost. Seriously, save Essence Costs for things which are more invasive, and involve 'removing' or 'replacing' parts of the body. If I get cybertattoos, they should have zero impact on my Essence. Also, if you're born with genetic engineering, it shouldn't impact your Essence at all... after all, this IS your astral template. Why the hell would it impact your Magic or Resonance? (After all, you can make a full-blown clone Mage with 6 Essence out of the box in 4E).

4) I would like to see a little more detail on commlinks, what you can put in them and such. A focus on consumer society (apps and the like), and how these work together with the character.

5) I'd like to see the magical paths a bit more divergent, so they stand out a little more.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Iduno
post Dec 21 2012, 05:19 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 10,812

QUOTE (Tashiro @ Dec 21 2012, 12:58 PM) *
1) Simplifying would be good, but something that makes them match the system of the matrix better would make them a lot easier to balance.

2) Agreed, as well as resonance space. Probably in the 5E Street Magic and Unwired.

3) Agreed, except for geneware. The essence cost is mostly balancing for mages and TMs.

4) Sure, but write the matrix rules first, then the fluff, then tweak each so they actually match.

5) Agreed. They made them way too similar. It cuts down on rules, but it also cut out the flavor and trade-offs. That might also be (part of) why spirits seem so overpowered.

I think the major thing I'm looking for is someone to go through and find places where the old rules no longer fit (fireball vs stunball?), and rewrite them. The second biggest would be making sure crunch and fluff match.

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,310

If anything TMs need to differentiate more from magi, not move closer to them.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

QUOTE (Tashiro @ Dec 21 2012, 11:58 AM) *
Thinking about SR5, I decided I'd figure out a few things I'd like to see in it.

1) I'd like to see Technomancers following rules more closely to those of Mages, just for ease of play. Follow the same basic ruleset, but tailored to the Matrix, and we're good to go.

I'd like to see technomancers retconned out, honestly.
5) I'd like to see the magical paths a bit more divergent, so they stand out a little more.

I would also like this. I understand why they put all magicians in the same boat in 4E, but I still don't like it. I'd like to add a second axis, in addition to Materialization-Possession: Binding-Calling. Binding traditions, like Hermeticism, summon up the spirits they want and bind them to serve. Calling traditions (might need a new term to differentiate from the Calling rules in Running Wild) summon whatever spirit happens to be in the area and negotiate for favors. Basically, a return to the old Hermetic/shaman divide, only with room for more traditions.

+Quote Post
Murrdox
post Dec 21 2012, 05:30 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,752

I'd like to see hacking re-vamped to make the hacker shine more.

- Hackers with a datajack, commlink implant and hot-sim should be able to hack on a totally different level than a hacker who just has a commlink and trodes. Maybe to the point of making VR only accessible to hackers with a commlink implant. Also, bring back cyberdecks. Hackers should have their own personalized rigs that aren't just better PDAs than everyone else has. There should be a world of difference between a cyberdeck and a commlink. Not just more Response and System scores.

- I'd like less opposed checks for tasks. My group spends a lot of time looking up basic rules because the players forget what opposed check they need to make. For example, Summoning.

- Full color book, good binding, and a Limited Collector's Edition I can pre-order yesterday!!

+Quote Post
Tashiro
post Dec 21 2012, 05:34 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

QUOTE (Murrdox @ Dec 21 2012, 12:30 PM) *
I'd like to see hacking re-vamped to make the hacker shine more.

- Hackers with a datajack, commlink implant and hot-sim should be able to hack on a totally different level than a hacker who just has a commlink and trodes. Maybe to the point of making VR only accessible to hackers with a commlink implant. Also, bring back cyberdecks. Hackers should have their own personalized rigs that aren't just better PDAs than everyone else has. There should be a world of difference between a cyberdeck and a commlink. Not just more Response and System scores.

I'm not sure I agree. A commlink is effectively a PC - what would a cyberdeck have that a commlink doesn't? I mean, a cyberdeck is effectively a computer which stores your programs and hooks to the matrix - which is everything a commlink does. The only difference is whether you're wanting to go AR or VR. Hmm, I don't know about the datajack vs trodes, technology may have gotten to the point where the difference is minimal.

+Quote Post
Tashiro
post Dec 21 2012, 05:37 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

QUOTE (Lionhearted @ Dec 21 2012, 12:19 PM) *
If anything TMs need to differentiate more from magi, not move closer to them.

The problem then is you're having to remember more rules. If they have the same basics: Sprites = Spirits, Programs = Spells, Fading = Drain, then at least a player who has learned to play one can quickly adapt to the other. Technomancers are effectively 'Mages in the Matrix' which is a good fit, I feel. If you make them too different, then you start to question their place.

+Quote Post
Murrdox
post Dec 21 2012, 06:28 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (Tashiro @ Dec 21 2012, 12:34 PM) *
I'm not sure I agree. A commlink is effectively a PC - what would a cyberdeck have that a commlink doesn't? I mean, a cyberdeck is effectively a computer which stores your programs and hooks to the matrix - which is everything a commlink does. The only difference is whether you're wanting to go AR or VR. Hmm, I don't know about the datajack vs trodes, technology may have gotten to the point where the difference is minimal.

In SR4, I completely agree. Commlinks are computers. However, I think you could really split it out. Think of a Commlink as a tablet PC. Think of a Cyberdeck as a full desktop PC with bleeding-edge hardware that you just can't fit into a tablet. If you had that kind of digital divide, hackers with cyberdecks would be something to be feared on the Matrix, and anyone who hacked using a commlink would be a script-kiddie by comparison.

It's just an idea. I just think hackers were cooler back in the Cyberdeck days. Now, EVERYONE has a commlink. Hackers just have slightly better commlinks than everyone else and pay a little more for better programs.

+Quote Post
Miri
post Dec 21 2012, 06:29 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 32,769

I would like to see a little more module capability with drones/vehicles, especially in regards to constructing one from scratch if none of the book versions meet what you are looking for.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 21 2012, 06:35 PM
Post #10

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

SR3 Variable TN.
SR3 Armor/Damage-System.
SR3 Skill-System with Pools instead of Attribute+Skill+Bonus shitloads of dice idiocy . .
Rest can stay as it is in SR4 i guess . .

+Quote Post
All4BigGuns
post Dec 21 2012, 06:36 PM
Post #11

Former Member

Member No.: 53,042

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 21 2012, 12:35 PM) *
SR3 Variable TN.
SR3 Armor/Damage-System.
SR3 Skill-System with Pools instead of Attribute+Skill+Bonus shitloads of dice idiocy . .

Suggestion: Take this "wish list" and throw it in the garbage where it belongs.

+Quote Post
bannockburn
post Dec 21 2012, 06:37 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 51,886

Suggestion: learn manners.

Otherwise: agreed. ^^

I wish for one thing only: an easy conversion for characters from SR4 to SR5.

+Quote Post
All4BigGuns
post Dec 21 2012, 06:44 PM
Post #13

Former Member

Variable TNs: One of the most PoS mechanics ever used in an RPG. It is utterly stupid and pointless, especially since things can get to the point where you have to roll a fragging 20 on a d6 to get a 'success'. See? Stupid mechanic.

SR3 Damage System: Lethality in games needs to be REDUCED, not exacerbated.

SR3 Skill System: Going back to attributes being almost entirely pointless to put points into other than the fact you have to? No fragging thanks.

To be perfectly honest, the SR4A system needs to be left as-is except for perhaps a streamlining of the Matrix (and only the Matrix, everything else is fine).

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 21 2012, 06:47 PM
Post #14

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

All of those changes would succeed in doing what they said they wanted to do with SR4.
GREATLY REDUCE THE NUMBER OF DICE BEING ROLLED.

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Dec 21 2012, 06:47 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 21 2012, 07:35 PM) *
SR3 Variable TN.
SR3 Armor/Damage-System.
Rest can stay as it is in SR4 i guess . .

My initial reaction: It buuuurn! take it away! take it away!

My reasonable response.
Variable TNs might not be the best idea, but moving a lot of modifiers from the DP to the threshold would make things smoother, for opposed tests... beats me.
Rewinding the skill system would make attributes mostly useless again, I don't like that.
Can't really make a statement on the damage system I barely remember anything about except that everything was Dikote

+Quote Post
All4BigGuns
post Dec 21 2012, 06:48 PM
Post #16

Former Member

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 21 2012, 12:47 PM) *
All of those changes would succeed in doing what they said they wanted to do with SR4.
GREATLY REDUCE THE NUMBER OF DICE BEING ROLLED.

That is not a good thing. Especially not when it makes an entire section of the character sheet (attributes) almost worthless except for a couple of 'derived' statistics and one or two 'niche' instances.

If you want SR3, then just go hunt down the books, play that and let other people play the much better version.

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Dec 21 2012, 06:52 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,668

What I would like to see for 5th ed is no 5th ed. I am giving up an rebuying all the core rule books.

+Quote Post
Murrdox
post Dec 21 2012, 06:55 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

SR3 variable TNs was probably the #1 thing that gave my players headaches. I understand why some people like them, but I think SR4 did a better job with this.

I WOULD like to see dice-pools brought back in some kind of way. Not to the point where it makes Attributes useless, but I really liked the Dicepool system of SR3, and so did some of my players. I'd be interesting to see what you could come up with.

+Quote Post
All4BigGuns
post Dec 21 2012, 06:57 PM
Post #19

Former Member

QUOTE (Daddy's Little Ninja @ Dec 21 2012, 12:52 PM) *
What I would like to see for 5th ed is no 5th ed. I am giving up an rebuying all the core rule books.

Unfortunately, this probably isn't an option. When a new edition is announced, the chances of it not happening are so slim as to be nonexistant.

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Dec 21 2012, 07:06 PM
Post #20

Shooting Target

As for my wishlist for 5E, more love for Riggers.
No rigger book and only a few pages at the end of the hacking section?
How am I supposed to build Samus Aran using that?!

+Quote Post
bannockburn
post Dec 21 2012, 07:07 PM
Post #21

Shooting Target

Member No.: 51,886

Oh hell yeah (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
I want power armour! ^^

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Dec 21 2012, 07:10 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,668

QUOTE (Murrdox @ Dec 21 2012, 01:55 PM) *
SR3 variable TNs was probably the #1 thing that gave my players headaches. I understand why some people like them, but I think SR4 did a better job with this.

I WOULD like to see dice-pools brought back in some kind of way. Not to the point where it makes Attributes useless, but I really liked the Dicepool system of SR3, and so did some of my players. I'd be interesting to see what you could come up with.

Except for the decking/hacking systems we kept with SR3 in our games for those various reasons. The more I hear of the 4th ed which clearly did not fix problem, going to 5th ed. I think why bother? We will keep with what we enjoy and just wait for all the grumbles around 6th ed.

+Quote Post
Darksong
post Dec 21 2012, 07:11 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 390

I am not a fan of the way variable TNs were implemented in SR3, but I think there is room for them if you did something like TN can vary between 2-6 (base 4) and anything that would increase the TN above 6 removes dice from the pool, so you don't have to worry about the shitty math of the linear TN increase but exploding difficulty at 8.

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Dec 21 2012, 07:30 PM
Post #24

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,360

Personally, I'd like to tweak their use of sprites and limit threading.

2) I'd like to see a more fleshed out section on Astral Space, and what we can do there.

I'd like for grounding to come back too!

3) I'd like for 'cosmetic' cyberware / bioware, to not have an Essence Cost. Seriously, save Essence Costs for things which are more invasive, and involve 'removing' or 'replacing' parts of the body. If I get cybertattoos, they should have zero impact on my Essence. Also, if you're born with genetic engineering, it shouldn't impact your Essence at all... after all, this IS your astral template. Why the hell would it impact your Magic or Resonance? (After all, you can make a full-blown clone Mage with 6 Essence out of the box in 4E).

+1 this, though as I recall they can't clone mages....

4) I would like to see a little more detail on commlinks, what you can put in them and such. A focus on consumer society (apps and the like), and how these work together with the character.

Yeah, but I rarely see people using the options they have now.

I disagree, it helps if the rules for all mages are similar. A few bonuses here and there are ok, even the different drain stats I am ok with. Spirits being the same water vs lake/river/ocean, not really needed.

Things I want:

Revise stick and shock to be less end all be all--seriously!!!

Armor stacking:Reduce the amount of armor stacking!!!

Cyberware limbs: Change the way armor works to the 1/6 method (Head, torso, arms, legs).

Weapon damage codes: Up the leathality!!

Matrix: Data Searches need to be harder, rules/tips that help GMs run the matrix easier. Make cyber combat quicker. Keep hackers and riggers on the same system (easier to run!!).

Vehicle rules: Sensor rules should make more sense (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) . Vehicle combat--get rid of it and incorporate into regular combat. I think I used those rules once......

Magic: Up the drain values, mages have too easy a time avoiding drain in SR4. Spirits and edge--it should be better spelled out or offer suggestions on how GM's should handle its use.

Other general things: Compatible with 4E books (simple conversions), give examples, and keep an index!!!

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post Dec 21 2012, 07:37 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Member No.: 9,313

1. PC streamlining a good thing.
2. Some drain code and spirit issues. Lets make fireball as scary as mana bolt.
3. Matrix, I'm glad it's not my job to "fix" this once more. I think 4th had it going in right direction though.
4. Combat, armor changes, dart Gun rules clarified, fix stick and shock.
5. Fix adrenal pump so its not suicideware. Prices need leveled for some ware.
6. Curious about grittier combat, the games I have run lately are tearing up 400 BP PC's pretty regularly.
7. Really not sure about gear options need to hear more. Sensors and explosives need redone.

+Quote Post

40 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:12 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.