IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Speed as a function of skill, Has it been done?
Arethusa
post Apr 22 2004, 07:53 PM
Post #1

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,775

Obviously, SR's system, at present, doesn't really allow for skill to affect the speed at which one can do things, and there's no way this is realistic. A person with pistols 8 will still shoot as slowly as someone defaulting from quickness. Have there been any house rules that allow SR to realistically reflect the fact that skill generally makes you a hell of a lot faster? Have there been any systems in other games that do a good job of reflecting this without getting overly complicated?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Apr 22 2004, 08:00 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

Hmm. Possibly allow someone to declare what they will be doing for the next round (in a 1-er) and allow them to add their skill to their initiative total?

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Apr 22 2004, 08:02 PM
Post #3

Dragon

Member No.: 3,263

Skill level (well actually number of successes) does affect the time it takes for many prolonged tasks. Examples include B/R, Permanent spells, etc. But at a phase level i can't really think of anything outside of Quickness test for Quick Drawing.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 22 2004, 08:02 PM
Post #4

Runner

Then you run into problems if skill is greater than or equal to 10.

[edit]

And, yes, I'm aware it's reflected in the time it takes to do something like pop a maglock. But it breaks down quickly outside of specific examples, and absolutely is not touched upon in combat.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Apr 22 2004, 08:03 PM
Post #5

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

That's an interesting point, especially considering just about every other sort of skill does allow for increased speed.

Extra successes in Biotech, Electronics and the like can decrease the amount of time it takes.
Extra successes in Melee combat simulate getting in extra shots.
You can pair up magical spells to fire off both at the same time with a higher TN.

Looks like ranged weapons is the only real exception to this rule.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Apr 22 2004, 08:10 PM
Post #6

Dragon

QUOTE (nezumi)
Looks like ranged weapons is the only real exception to this rule.

Unless you want to count dualwielding pistols, x-bows, shotguns, et.al. for a higher TN. ;)

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 22 2004, 08:13 PM
Post #7

Runner

Akimbo weapons may double your rate of fire, but there's still not difference between firing two pistols with a skill of 8 and firing two pistols defaulting from quickness.

+Quote Post
blakkie
post Apr 22 2004, 08:15 PM
Post #8

Dragon

QUOTE (Arethusa)
Akimbo weapons may double your rate of fire, but there's still not difference between firing two pistols with a skill of 8 and firing two pistols defaulting from quickness.

Yes there is, you hit worth crap. So you might as well not bother. It is a 'simulation' in that basically if you try to get more done you actually get less done.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Apr 22 2004, 08:19 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

QUOTE (Arethusa)
Then you run into problems if skill is greater than or equal to 10.

How so? You're just really, really, dammn fast.

+Quote Post
Berzerker
post Apr 22 2004, 08:21 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 6,225

Its not so much that increased skill lets you fire faster. The time involved in combat fire is more about how fast you are able to react to whats going on around you. Someone who is great with a pistol but doesnt have the greatest reflexes will not be able to fire as often as someone who is mediore but has the twitch reflex of a cup of coffee. The better pistol skill will hit a better percentage of the time, but the man with the move by wire will be a blur as he throws up bullets.

+Quote Post
Erebus
post Apr 22 2004, 08:29 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,872

IMHO, I think the increased speed you are refering to is the dual effect of training a skill (pistols in this example) and Reaction(or quickness) at the same time.

:)

Thats how I would explain it.

+Quote Post
Berzerker
post Apr 22 2004, 08:33 PM
Post #12

Target

Also, assuming that you're firing at a single target, the only increase in difficulty is uncompensated recoil. That makes me assume that you're still only firing as fast as you can assuming your still devoting enough time to make sure you're on target.

Maybe allow someone to take dice from their pistol skill to add to their reaction for attacks to simulate not quite taking as much time to aim when you're in a hurry?

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post Apr 22 2004, 08:44 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,158

An average character with Pistols 3 can shoot at a target with a +0 modifier in approximately 1.5 seconds. It takes closer to 6 to 7.5 for someone without Pistols 3, defaulting to Quickness 3, to do the exact same shot (via aiming to reduce their penalties). So yes, it does take longer. But if you don't want to take the time, just pull the trigger and deal with the fact that your shot is going to suck compared to the other guy.

But if you want a Combat Training type skill or something, that lets you handle the pressure of heavy combat more easily than others, I guess you could do some weird Complimentary Skill check with Reaction. I wouldn't do it nor recommend it. The system works just fine as it stands in that area as far as I'm concerned.

Skill represents how good you are and how many dice you have to throw to get around any situational modifiers (the more dice, the greater your chance). That's more than enough to simulate it in my book. The guy with Pistols 6 is going to take down more opponents more quickly than the guy with Pistols 1, all other things being equal.

+Quote Post
TheScamp
post Apr 22 2004, 08:46 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 825

How about just adding to the target number for each additional target, just like in melee combat (taking up a complex action in the process)?

So, if I want to use my pistol to shoot at 3 different targets as a Complex action, it's normal for the first, +2 for the second, +4 for the third, etc. These penalties wouldn't be able to be mitigated in any way.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 22 2004, 08:53 PM
Post #15

Runner

QUOTE (Lilt)
How so? You're just really, really, dammn fast.

Actually, you're infinitely fast. At 10, you will never run out of initiative until you run out of ammo, at which point you will reload, which is still a function of weapon skill. Until you're out of magazines, you will never slow down. And if you go above 10, you effectively get faster and warp time with every phase spent shooting. You may be good, but you shouldn't be that good.

QUOTE (Berzerker)
Its not so much that increased skill lets you fire faster. The time involved in combat fire is more about how fast you are able to react to whats going on around you. Someone who is great with a pistol but doesnt have the greatest reflexes will not be able to fire as often as someone who is mediore but has the twitch reflex of a cup of coffee. The better pistol skill will hit a better percentage of the time, but the man with the move by wire will be a blur as he throws up bullets.

And I would like to disprove you with this and this.

QUOTE (Erebus)
IMHO, I think the increased speed you are refering to is the dual effect of training a skill (pistols in this example) and Reaction(or quickness) at the same time.

Unfortunately, this isn't the case. A completely uncybered mundane with extremely high skill is just as slow as the same mundane with no skill. Skill has no impact on initiative or speed in general.

[edit]

QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime)
An average character with Pistols 3 can shoot at a target with a +0 modifier in approximately 1.5 seconds. It takes closer to 6 to 7.5 for someone without Pistols 3, defaulting to Quickness 3, to do the exact same shot (via aiming to reduce their penalties). So yes, it does take longer. But if you don't want to take the time, just pull the trigger and deal with the fact that your shot is going to suck compared to the other guy.

Unfortunately, there is then no difference in speed between pistols 3 and pistols 8, which is part of the problem. I may be able to shoot really, really accurately, but I'm no faster, and that is not right.

QUOTE (TheScamp)
So, if I want to use my pistol to shoot at 3 different targets as a Complex action, it's normal for the first, +2 for the second, +4 for the third, etc. These penalties wouldn't be able to be mitigated in any way.

Might as well just use the full auto penalties for switching targets, if you're going to do that. Unfortunately, this both doesn't go far enough and has severe potential for abuse. I could be wrong, though.

+Quote Post
Berzerker
post Apr 22 2004, 09:02 PM
Post #16

Target

The guy in those videos is very good and very fast. Does being very good alone make you very fast? Thats up for debate. You can be very well trained but your hand only moves as fast as the nerve inpulses tell it to (which is reaction if I'm not mistaken). Short of showing that guys stats somewhere :D those alone cant make a case.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 22 2004, 09:08 PM
Post #17

Runner

Well, I can vouch for the fact that he's not cybered and not under the effects of an enhance reaction spell. That leaves you with skill, as I'm relatively sure that if you gave him a maglock to pop, he wouldn't do it nearly as quickly.

+Quote Post
Berzerker
post Apr 22 2004, 09:10 PM
Post #18

Target

But he could be the first one to the maglock ;)

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 22 2004, 09:13 PM
Post #19

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

My house rule as it currently stands:
As a Complex Action, may fire a firearm in SA mode a number of times equal to 2 + (Skill/2, round down), maximum is 6. At 8, you can empty a revolver in a single Complex Action. That's fast enough for me, even though I know you can shoot most weapons far quicker than that and still be accurate IRL.

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Apr 22 2004, 09:16 PM
Post #20

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Member No.: 2,006

QUOTE (Arethusa @ Apr 22 2004, 12:53 PM)

And I would like to disprove you with this and this.

Before you show a tv commercial as evidence, you should make sure the video isn't sped up. Like it is in your 'evidence'.

First of all, like all weapons pistols have a cyclic rate. They can only fire so fast no matter how fast you are or how quick you respond. Three seconds does not equal three bullets.

You cannot shoot a pistol faster no matter how good you are. You can be the worlds most skilled marksman and you will not be able to shoot a pistol 'faster'. Sure you can change targets, and hit really long shots better, but not any faster. What do you want to do in your three seconds? Shoot 4 times? Can't do it. The pistol can't do it.

Hopefully Raygun will jump in here and give you technical reasons as to why a pistol can only fire so fast. And to be honest with you your complaint smacks of munchkinism.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 22 2004, 09:17 PM
Post #21

Runner

If I can fire three semi auto shots in a single action, why would I ever use burst, which essentially dramatically lowers my potential for dealing damage (not to mention gives me much lower target numbers)?

[edit]

Shadow, to my knowledge, those aren't sped up and have been vouched for in other places. He really does shoot like that. There's a reason he's done so damn well in shooting competitions.

Yes, pistols have a cyclic rate. Would you happen to know what that is? Many are in the 1600 to 1800 rpm range. Two rounds in three seconds does not begin to approach this. Moreover, your complaint is absolutely absurd, given that a mundane would somehow break his gun if he tried to fire faster than 2 rounds per 3 seconds while a total cyborg has no trouble unleashing 8 SA shots in 3 seconds, much less firing the canon 10 rounds per complex action 4 or 5 times over in a single turn.

And I really must say, I find some vague amusement in being flamed for munchkinism.

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Apr 22 2004, 09:30 PM
Post #22

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Member No.: 2,006

Well it wasn't a flame. It just seems to me that wanting to shoot more in a combat turn because you have a high quickness is a little munchy. And according to quick time those videos are running at 28FPS. Real time is 30FPS. That means it has been sped up. It gives the appearance of being faster than it actually is. I am not saying the man isn't fast, I am just saying he isn't as fast as he appears to be in the video.

Also you have to remember, he is on a range. He is doing something he practices probably everyday. Shooting targets that aren't moving while he isn't moving. Again, I am not saying he isn't good, but it is a lot harder when people are moving, and shooting at you.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 22 2004, 09:36 PM
Post #23

Runner

Who told you that realtime happens at 30fps? Framerate is wholly independant of what's actually going on and only is representative of the rate it's being played back. If the framerate of the video is higher than what it was recorded at, then something has been changed. But there no absolutely set standard.

And, yes, of course a range is much easier then combat, but I'm still willing to bet that a soldier who's been trained will pop off accurate semi auto shots a lot faster than me, and that's not an issue of reaction enhancement.

Anyway, it's not munchkinism. I'm just interested in reflecting a real world dynamic that the system wholly overlooks. I think, were I at all munchkinism inclined, I wouldn't've minded Lilt's suggestion that allowed me to warp time and space with my Pistols 11.

+Quote Post
Erebus
post Apr 22 2004, 09:37 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,872

QUOTE (Arethusa @ Apr 22 2004, 08:53 PM)
QUOTE (Erebus)

Unfortunately, this isn't the case. A completely uncybered mundane with extremely high skill is just as slow as the same mundane with no skill. Skill has no impact on initiative or speed in general.

Not entirely true. The person who is unskilled is probably taking a few aim actions to ensure he can get reasonable close to his target (or just fires blindly), where as a skilled person can fire as fast as his pistol and reflexes allow without the need of taking extra time to aim.

It takes *almost* no skill to point a gun down range, and rapidly pull the trigger. The skill comes in by hitting the target. Thus reaction determines how often you can fire, while skill determines how often you hit.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 22 2004, 09:41 PM
Post #25

Runner

That may be true, but skill is still only a measure of hit probability and in no way affects speed. A person with Pistol 9 remains stuck at loosing two rounds every 3 seconds unless he rips out his his central nervous system and replaces it with something faster.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 11:42 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.