Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Point Blank Range
ShadoFall
post Apr 22 2004, 11:16 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,273

Wonder if someone could help me with some rules for resolving point blank range damage i've been looking but just cant seem to find anything anywhere thnks
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 22 2004, 11:19 PM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

There are no rules for it in canon.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 22 2004, 11:21 PM
Post #3

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

I have never heard of anything about a "Point Blank Range", let alone why anything would do some sort of special damage in it: most things in Shadowrun do the same damage at all ranges. Exceptions are explosive devices such as grenades, and certain special weapons such as laser weapons.

What, exactly are you looking for? Rules concerning ranged combat with firearms in general? Rules for some sort of special weaponry?

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Apr 22 2004, 11:26 PM
Post #4

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

Only time short range becomes really bad would be like using a rifle against an adjacent target (common sense there)

or target is within safe distance for greanade launcher/mortar fire.

+Quote Post
ShadoFall
post Apr 22 2004, 11:30 PM
Post #5

Target

sorry guess i was a little vauge i know the short range rules go from 0 To what ever the short range is for a particular weapon. i've got a mage in the game i run that before long were gona hand over as a NPC i'll leave out the details. lets just say hes powerfull and turning really bad. hes recently developed a taste for using imporved invisibilty to slide up behind people and put the barrel no more then like a inch from the back of peoples head and blow thier brains out..

so im mainly looking for some options that might be a bit better for this type of scenario when dealing with damage and target numbers.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Apr 22 2004, 11:34 PM
Post #6

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

Well if you want to just lower the TN to 2 and increase the power of the attack by 2 (or to make it even more effective increase the damage level by 1) to reflect muzzle gasses entering the wound

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Apr 22 2004, 11:35 PM
Post #7

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

really there are absolutely no book rules for that, its all up to the GM. remember, NPC's can do that to him too. It's going to be obvious on cameras and such what happened.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 22 2004, 11:38 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Target Stationary: -1 TN, and Take Aim as much as possible. There's no way around the fact that you'll have to do the normal Ranged Combat test sequence.

Also, if the target does not notice the mage at all (remember that Invisibility doesn't fool smell, taste, touch or sound) he does not get a Surprise Test either and cannot use any Combat Pool to Dodge -- the target is really screwed.

As a justification for why it doesn't always end up in the mage blowing their brains out, remember that the guy can still move at an inopportune time. If the mage packs a decent weapon, there shouldn't be a problem.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 22 2004, 11:43 PM
Post #9

Runner

There are no canon rules that deal with that. As a GM, just remove his target's brains and proclaim him dead. If you're interested in house rules, various people have various takes and various projects (including, for example, my own canon revision).

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 22 2004, 11:43 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

It should be plenty lethal if the mage has decent skill.

Heavy Pistol + Laser Sight + Skill 4. 4 base TN from Short Range. -1 TN from Target Stationary, -1 TN from Laser Sight, -2 TN from Take Aim, minimum TN of 2. Add 4 dice from Combat Pool to the attack test, and you're averaging 6 successes. Since the target can't Dodge and doesn't have access to Combat Pool, he's facing 9M with 6 successes with only his Body dice.

+2 Power from the gases isn't called for. You don't want to shoot the weapon from that close anyway, it's more accurate from several inches away. And the damage from the gases is rather insignificant compared to the bullet.

The TN will be 2 in most cases without any special ruling.

[Edit]Arethusa, what a shameless plug. :P[/Edit]

This post has been edited by Austere Emancipator: Apr 22 2004, 11:44 PM

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 22 2004, 11:52 PM
Post #11

Runner

You ain't seen nothin' yet. Just you wait 'till I gets me a website.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 22 2004, 11:57 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

That's what the Signature is for... ;)

+Quote Post
ShadoFall
post Apr 22 2004, 11:57 PM
Post #13

Target

i'm not to worried about NPC doing the same to him. hes become a very powerfull character and instead of just retiring him and or killing him off me and the player sat down and created a nice little scenario where hes gona become the new big bad in our campaign.. so we arranged his abduction. hes been seriously mind fraged. and is bordering on psycopathic/blood magic... boy wont his team mates be surprised..

+Quote Post
Raygun
post Apr 23 2004, 12:54 AM
Post #14

Mostly Harmless

Member No.: 176

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
+2 Power from the gases isn't called for. You don't want to shoot the weapon from that close anyway, it's more accurate from several inches away. And the damage from the gases is rather insignificant compared to the bullet.

In addition to is what we're dealing with. The muzzle of a rifle or a high-powered pistol touching the skin of a target is going to inject a lot of expanding gases directly into the wound right behind the bullet when the shot is fired. Not only will the wound be affected by heat, but gas expansion can expand tissue (even very elastic tissue like skin) to the point of tearing, which will cause more bleeding. I don't think it would be unreasonable to apply a +1 power rating in some of those cases.

If you've ever seen pictures of people shot in the head with a rifle at close range (suicide) the wound is more often than not much more drastic than one that is sustained by a handgun or by a rifle from much greater distance.

The TN will be 2 in most cases without any special ruling.

That's how I handle it. I also treat it as a melee attack if the character is aware of it.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 23 2004, 01:02 AM
Post #15

Runner

Whoah, hey, wait, what did I say? I didn't say that.

+Quote Post
Raygun
post Apr 23 2004, 01:05 AM
Post #16

Mostly Harmless

Eyeless Blond did. Aus didn't specify that in his reply to you.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 23 2004, 01:07 AM
Post #17

Runner

Erm, I think you got me confused with Austere. He's the one you're quoting there.

Out of curiosity, would you still give that +1 if the weapon muzzle was not in contact with the target but was still very close? If so, how close would it have to be for that effect?

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 23 2004, 01:09 AM
Post #18

Great Dragon

Yup, that was me. I've seen gunshot wounds from very close range (Go Rotten.Com), and I'm aware of the fact that the muzzle gases can do serious damage to the skin and other tissue on the surface. I'm not saying that isn't a serious issue in and of itself -- what I'm saying is that if you've got a bullet tumbling through you, it won't be that significant.

With a rifle I wouldn't mind the +1 Power, actually. At that point you might be dealing with some serious damage from the muzzle blast alone. With a pistol, I'd just stick with the base damage and think of the other ways to increase damage dealt. Even with the rifle, though, I'd like to have an adequate explanation of exactly why someone is pressing a barrel on the target -- a surefire way to be noticed, Invisibility or no.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 23 2004, 01:48 AM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

i really, really like the idea of countering gunshots at close range with melee. it just brings all sorts of juicy ideas to mind, and it goes a long way towards explaining why you don't want to bring a gun to a knife fight. what do you think of giving larger weapons negative reach modifiers? like, a rifle might have -2 reach, so that using it in melee means that the target can counterattack at TN 2? SMGs would have -1 reach, and pistols 0 reach.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Apr 23 2004, 02:03 AM
Post #20

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

The only game system I know of that incorporated a "PBR" was CP2020 which dealt maximum damage at PBR.

Other than that, the idea of TN penalties for large weapons in close quarters has merit -- although to be fair, closing on a swordsman with a knife will ruin his day just as surely because the sword (axe, staff) still require some degree of distance (range) to operate effectively.

And while the M1 garand could do double damage as a blunt weapon, the M-16 and M-4 are not nearly as sturdy, especially with the amount of bells and whistles typically tacked on to modern, never mind futuristic weapons.

Sorry, rambling tonight.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Raygun
post Apr 23 2004, 02:03 AM
Post #21

Mostly Harmless

Oops. I didn't realize I put the wrong name in the quote. I thought you were asking... Oh, nevermind.

Out of curiosity, would you still give that +1 if the weapon muzzle was not in contact with the target but was still very close? If so, how close would it have to be for that effect?

Depends on the weapon. The more muzzle flash it creates, the farther away you'll get that effect. For example, a .22 probably isn't going to have a whole lot of effect that way even if you are touching skin. With a Desert Eagle (point five-oh) you could probably be a couple of inches away and still acheive that effect. With a high-powered rifle, perhaps six inches or so. Not very far. Keep in mind that even heavy clothing like denim or leather would negate that effect by quite a large degree.

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
I'm not saying that isn't a serious issue in and of itself -- what I'm saying is that if you've got a bullet tumbling through you, it won't be that significant.

Got it.

Even with the rifle, though, I'd like to have an adequate explanation of exactly why someone is pressing a barrel on the target -- a surefire way to be noticed, Invisibility or no.

To maximize damage, obviously. No one said it was wise. I don't think we're debating that. The whole point of firearms is to have the capability to affect your target at greater than arm's length. But if you've got the opportunity and are aware of the risks and how to deal with them, it certainly can be done successfully and has been done successfully. The HDMS comes to mind.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 23 2004, 02:18 AM
Post #22

Runner

This is somewhat related, but would firing a weapon with a low muzzle blast (low as in pistol, as opposed to a rifle or the biggest of the Desert Eagles) directly in contact with the target create a suppression effect, and if so, how significant?

+Quote Post
Dax
post Apr 23 2004, 02:48 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,013

I really don't think you need extra rules for it. In one of our games, someone managed to knock over a troll, place the SMG's against the poor slag's chest and squeezed the triggers until he got nothing but *clicks* coming out of the guns.

The damage was something like 38DDS. He insisted on calculating it out afterwords. :grinbig:

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 23 2004, 03:07 AM
Post #24

Great Dragon

I tried to look for those pictures. They are all located on the Vatican.Rotten.Com server, which is laggy as hell and usually down. I find it extremely funny that a New York Emergency Room RN site links to Rotten.Com for pictures of various traumas...

I'm still quite sure that no professional, or anyone who knows how firearms work, would ever shoot someone with the barrel pressed against them, unless they have no choice. In the head, the muzzle blast might be powerful enough to do extensive damage on its own -- but the bullet will kill the guy anyway, and a gun pressed against the targets head is closer to him than it is to you. In the torso the muzzle blast wouldn't do more than surface damage, extensive surface damage but still just surface, and the same security issues remain.

Although, if you're damn good and wired to react at light speed, what the heck. Might as well go for the less stabile bullet and possible extra damage, no matter how slight, because there's no real risk.

QUOTE (Arethusa)
This is somewhat related, but would firing a weapon with a low muzzle blast directly in contact with the target create a suppression effect, and if so, how significant?

My guess would be yes, but rather insignificant. Some of the pressure would go into friction/deformation in the target, but most would still escape. There wouldn't be much of a sonic crack, but that's rather insignificant, too, because there wouldn't be much at 6' either, and the muzzle blast would make most of the noise.

But that's a completely uneducated guess. I haven't done extensive empirical research on the subject.

+Quote Post
Raygun
post Apr 23 2004, 03:18 AM
Post #25

Mostly Harmless

QUOTE (Arethusa)
This is somewhat related, but would firing a weapon with a low muzzle blast (low as in pistol, as opposed to a rifle or the biggest of the Desert Eagles) directly in contact with the target create a suppression effect, and if so, how significant?

It would definitely muffle the blast, but probably not by any great amount. In other words, the gunshot would still be recognizable, but the distance at which it could be heard would be reduced somewhat (we're talking hundreds of meters, here). Unless the muzzle was completely inside of an orafice or something... :spin:

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 3rd May 2024 - 04:46 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.