IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Closed TopicStart new topic
> So do you own firearms in your real life?, Many firearms experts, how many owners?
So do you own firearms in you real life?
So do you own firearms in you real life?
Yes [ 22 ] ** [16.42%]
Yes, and it a second amendment right that needs defended. [ 24 ] ** [17.91%]
Yes, primarily for shooting sports. [ 6 ] ** [4.48%]
Yes, primarily for hunting. [ 2 ] ** [1.49%]
Yes, primarily for self-protection. [ 0 ] ** [0.00%]
No [ 9 ] ** [6.72%]
No, but I have fired firearms before. [ 47 ] ** [35.07%]
No, and have never had an opportunity or reason to use one. [ 9 ] ** [6.72%]
No, and I don't think civilians should own firearms. [ 9 ] ** [6.72%]
No, and Firearms are illegal to own were I am from. [ 6 ] ** [4.48%]
Total Votes: 142

mcb
post Apr 23 2004, 03:24 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,083

I asked this question over at www.rpg.net and was suprised at the results. I would be interested to see if the results here are similar here on this board. There is a lot of talk about guns around this forum so I thought I would see how many of us actually own and use firearms. If none of the reasons I filled in fit your opinion please just pick the plain yes or no and if you want comment below why you do or do not own a firearm.

Thanks
mcb

Edit: If you vote "No, and Firearms are illegal to own were I am from.", it would be nice if you could state what country you are from.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Apr 23 2004, 03:35 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,642

I own a Beretta 92fs.

I have shot Glock 9mm, Springfield 1911 .45, a Springfield compact (3in. barrel) 9mm, a Desert Eagle (it sucked), various other automatic pistols and revolvers, some shot guns and rifles.

My wife likes long guns much better then pistols. We plan on buying a Henry rifle next.

We live in the metro Detroit area and don't hunt at all.

I have my Michigan CCW permit but rarely carry. It makes it easier to transport and buy.

Gun ownership is fun, a right, and an excellent form of personal/home protection when in competent responsible hands.

+Quote Post
spotlite
post Apr 23 2004, 03:40 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,752

I used to own a shotgun cos we lived on a farm, but in the UK NOBODY really has guns. You need licenses (vetted by the local police. If you live in a city you have virtually no chance of getting it approved - I mean why the hell would you need one? Even if the criminals all had one it only usually comes down to who shoots first and most criminals by nature are going to ambush or surprise you. Not needed. Not yet, anyway. Its bad enough the police have to carry them in some places.

I was given to understand that the 'right to bear arms' in the US was a misinterpretation of the constitution anyway, which actually says something like (and I don't pretend to have this accurately, its just what I've read) 'any member of the civilian militia has the right to bear arms'. And around the time the constitution was written just about every able bodied man who wasn't a criminal was a member of the militia so it just sort of became accepted practice.

Be interested in a direct quote from the constitution if anyone has one? Would settle a number of pub arguments. I don't want interpretations, cos I strongly suspect given the number of Americans on the board it would get rapidly political and out of hand, I'd just be interested in a quote!

+Quote Post
Firewall
post Apr 23 2004, 03:41 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,125

I am in the UK, though I voted for 'make them illegal' based on the fact that many friends of mine in the US are uncomfortable with the poor legislation controlling firearms.

I have fired live and blank weapons (more of the former, strangely; my area is swords, so I tend not to work with guns) and I think the problem is that I am not comfortable with how easy it is to fire a gun.

Last, if you will invoke the Second Amendment, at least give a link to a copy of the original wording for those of us who live outside the US.

+Quote Post
Firewall
post Apr 23 2004, 03:43 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

"A well-regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State,
the right of the people to keep and bear Arms shall not be infringed."

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Apr 23 2004, 03:44 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Amendment II
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed.

+Quote Post
Pthgar
post Apr 23 2004, 03:45 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Of course it is infringed upon all the time in various ways. Some of them even make sense and are not a bad idea.

Lot's of people are uncomfortable with the sheer lethality of firearms at first (I was), but with familiarity and a large dose of respect, you become confident that you won't shoot anyone. After all there are litterally millions of legal gun owners in the States and we managed to never shoot anyone. Even most police officers never have to shoot anyone.

NRA Article.

+Quote Post
DigitalMage
post Apr 23 2004, 03:49 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 340

I voted No and firearms are illegal. I am from the UK, England to be more precise, and firearms are mostly illegal, but are allowed in some cases, for example I went on a clay pigeon shooting afternoon as part of my stag weekend (which also means I have fired a gun).

+Quote Post
Firewall
post Apr 23 2004, 03:53 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

QUOTE (Pthgar)
Gun ownership is fun, a right, and an excellent form of personal/home protection when in competent responsible hands.

But how sure can you be that the individual could be considered competent responsible hands?

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Apr 23 2004, 03:54 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 2,316

I don't like how easy it is to wield a lawnmower but I don't see any bans on them.

But how sure can you be that the individual could be considered competent responsible hands?
You can't be, read the link above.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Apr 23 2004, 03:59 PM
Post #11

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

I grew up shooting "varmints" on my parents' farm. I even had a child-sized .22 rifle; when I was still too small to lift a full sized one. We would practice with shotguns and small rifles, and when it needed doing we'd kill an opossum or a raccoon. It wasn't sport, it wasn't hunting, it's just how things work in a rural setting like that.
Ahhh, my humble beginnings. :oops:

+Quote Post
Solstice
post Apr 23 2004, 04:02 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,960

hundreds of thousands of people die every year in car accidents but you don't see heavy regulation or reduction in car ownership.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Apr 23 2004, 04:09 PM
Post #13

Decker on the Threshold

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,156

Well *I* do. I live in California, and the restrictions on getting a licence get harsher and harsher every year.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Apr 23 2004, 04:09 PM
Post #14

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

QUOTE (Firewall @ Apr 23 2004, 11:53 AM)

What kind of confidence do you place in a government to be able to make that determination? Any government. Governments exist only to serve themselves [edit]IF they have no need to fear their populace. Shadowrun is the perfect dystopian example of what happens when the populace can no longer stand up to their rulers (be they corporate or governmental)[/edit].

QUOTE (Thomas Jefferson)
The natural progress of things is for liberty to yield and government to gain ground."

This is one of those topics that usually just turns into a flame war, but I'll add a few bits of reading material.

There's nothing I can add that Neal Boortz can't say better. American gun laws are stupid, and designed by people with no idea about firearms, particularly the ban on "assault" weapons. Try your hand at the quiz at the bottom of the page, it's quite fun.

There's also a misplaced perception of the evils of guns in society. You don't tend to hear about all of the crime stopped by defensive weapon use.
QUOTE (Fox news story)
...guns are used defensively four times more frequently than they are to commit crimes.

+Quote Post
Niallan Zheng
post Apr 23 2004, 04:19 PM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 6,173

There's also that little city in Tenneessee which passed an ordinance requiring all households to possess a firearm. I'm not 100% on this, but I recall reading an article which stated that violent crime and B&E died entirely because of it.

+Quote Post
Firewall
post Apr 23 2004, 04:29 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Here is a strange and contraversial idea. How about children taking mandatory lessons at school? Simple lessons in how to use a gun responsibly and safely... I mean, probably not until 16 or so but make it a requirement of gun-ownership that they actually have the smarts to point the end with the hole at the other person.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Apr 23 2004, 04:32 PM
Post #17

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

I'm all for teaching children responsible gun use, but I highly doubt you'd get schools to do it. The liability issues are too great, and any kind of gun based learning needs to be reinforced in the home by the parents, which is something you can't rely on.

If I remember correctly, in Tennessee, you only need classes for a hunting license or a conceal carry permit. You don't need anything for self defense use.

Another helpful link, conceal carry laws, etc.

+Quote Post
Grimtooth
post Apr 23 2004, 04:44 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,430

I have been a hunter/plinker since the age of 12. I'm 32 now.

I own 2 handguns, 3 rifles, and 1 shotgun.

My dad took me out in the back yard when i was 12 and started me shooting. He actually taught me the "pocket feed" method. He didn't think a 12 year old should 17 in the magazine.

When i was a junior in high school i bought my first center fire rifle. When i got my first real job i bought a 9mm carbine. About that time my folks told me no more guns.

It wasn't until i got engaged that i bought my Glock 17.

I have a 2 year old at present, and when the time comes she will be taught like i was. 1 round at time.

Guns have always been part of my life.

+Quote Post
Firewall
post Apr 23 2004, 04:48 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Speaking of the constitution, does it not advocate (or outright demand) the use of force if an idiot gets into the Whitehouse?

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Apr 23 2004, 04:56 PM
Post #20

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,304

Nope.
That's just an interpretation of the same 2nd amendment. Everyone adds a lot of what they think to what was actually said.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Apr 23 2004, 05:01 PM
Post #21

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

QUOTE (Firewall)
Speaking of the constitution, does it not advocate (or outright demand) the use of force if an idiot gets into the Whitehouse?

Heh. Haven't seen the "use of force if an idiot gets into the Whitehouse" bill. (pun intended).

+Quote Post
Frag-o Delux
post Apr 23 2004, 05:02 PM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 2,316

QUOTE (Firewall @ Apr 23 2004, 11:29 AM)
but make it a requirement of gun-ownership that they actually have the smarts to point the end with the hole at the other person.

Isn't that the precieved problem? To many people smart enough to point the hole at the other person? People want to ban guns because of murders not because of suicides.

+Quote Post
spotlite
post Apr 23 2004, 05:02 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,752

thanks for the quote. Sounds like one of those clauses designed to be interpreted in numerous ways so that they could get all parties to sign up to it while convincing the people that its nice and watertight and good for them. Plus ca change...

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Apr 23 2004, 05:05 PM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,304

You know, the constitutional rights of the mentally retarded and convicted felons are being violated every day, in every state in the nation.
Hell, the Dukes of Hazard weren't even allowed to own guns. (Strangely, they could own dynamite, but that's another story).

+Quote Post
broho_pcp
post Apr 23 2004, 05:07 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,054

To quote my good friend (and he might be quoting someone else).
"Guns don't kill people, Mr. T kills people."

+Quote Post

11 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 12:41 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.