IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Luxury-AAA Zones?, I haven't needed zoning help this bad since I first played SimCity
tsuyoshikentsu
post Apr 24 2013, 07:04 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,997

Is there a listing of Luxury AAA places anywhere? (Or, for that matter, neighborhood ratings in general?) The only confirmed ones I can find are The Peak in Hong Kong (listed as an example in the RC) and that lovely listing of neighborhood ratings in general from Montreal.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Apr 24 2013, 07:14 AM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

IIRC the Upper East Side of Manhattan is another, or at least close to it. It is described in Manhattan as containing the most expensive pieces of residential property in the city.

The Hub in the FRFZ is probably another, though I believe most of the descriptions lay it out as more business than residential.

Other than that, I can't think of any others at the moment that might come close.

+Quote Post
Mantis
post Apr 24 2013, 07:27 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 17,538

The original Seattle Sourcebook from SR1 lists all the neighbourhood ratings for Seattle. If you can find a copy, use that. I'd do a copy/paste but there are just too many. I think the Denver Box set does the same thing for Denver.

Edit : Went back to check my copy of Denver City of Shadows. Sadly it does not provide neighbourhood ratings.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Apr 24 2013, 10:50 AM
Post #4

Ain Soph Aur

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 600

QUOTE (tsuyoshikentsu @ Apr 24 2013, 03:04 AM) *
Is there a listing of Luxury AAA places anywhere? (Or, for that matter, neighborhood ratings in general?) The only confirmed ones I can find are The Peak in Hong Kong (listed as an example in the RC) and that lovely listing of neighborhood ratings in general from Montreal.

Actually, when I was writing Montreal, there was a discussion amongst the authors about bringing Neighbourhood ratings back in. Actually, I hadn't personally realized we hadn't seen those in products for so long! But I loved the zone ratings, both from atmosphere as well as actual gameplay value, so after the discussion I immediately added them to the budding Montreal 2074. I think we'll see more of them in future Location books, but that is largely left to the taste of the authors (there is no CGL writ that they must be used, ya know).

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Apr 24 2013, 12:16 PM
Post #5

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

Just please, if you do bring them back, make the security responses largely dependent upon sanity. Their first arrival on-scene should not be measured in initiative passes, and should probably be measured in minutes, even in the highest Lux-AAA zones. Also please remember that the super-rich and paranoid are not going to want to see the impoverished masses trundling around through their neighborhoods in heavy armor and carrying heavy weapons. And no, I'm not talking about the Runners, I'm talking about those High-Threat Response Teams that seem to always be on standby in a chopper in the middle of an armed fortress in every AAA zone ready to deploy literally the moment the first hint of a disturbance comes in.

Those guys should be kept well away from the Lux-AAA zone, only to deploy in a crisis, because the rich bastards want them there about as much as they want the Runners there, and largely for the same reasons.

+Quote Post
Runeblood
post Apr 24 2013, 01:46 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 18,613

It would not surprise me, though, to have the community's HOA fees go towards a drone rigger, living in the community to offer quick, and decisive theft prevention systems. ala Stick and Shock loaded assault rifle aerial drones or a combat anthro. able to respond nearly immediately.

+Quote Post
_Pax._
post Apr 24 2013, 02:10 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Group: Validating
Member No.: 51,818

That would be a good addition to security ratings: not just Police response times, but, which neighborhoods might have PRIVATE security assets, able to respond faster than the police? And what might their TO&E look like? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
AStarshipforAnts
post Apr 24 2013, 02:17 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,624

That is one good way to get on the HOA's good side as a runner, sign up for the neighborhood watch. I've played in a few games where the runner team became the neighborhood law enforcement, upgrading the neighborhood security rating and making quite a few people happy in the process.

+Quote Post
Ixal
post Apr 24 2013, 05:21 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 76,416

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Apr 24 2013, 12:16 PM) *
Just please, if you do bring them back, make the security responses largely dependent upon sanity. Their first arrival on-scene should not be measured in initiative passes, and should probably be measured in minutes, even in the highest Lux-AAA zones. Also please remember that the super-rich and paranoid are not going to want to see the impoverished masses trundling around through their neighborhoods in heavy armor and carrying heavy weapons. And no, I'm not talking about the Runners, I'm talking about those High-Threat Response Teams that seem to always be on standby in a chopper in the middle of an armed fortress in every AAA zone ready to deploy literally the moment the first hint of a disturbance comes in.

Those guys should be kept well away from the Lux-AAA zone, only to deploy in a crisis, because the rich bastards want them there about as much as they want the Runners there, and largely for the same reasons.

That would imo depend on the type of response. I can see drones responding within a minute in AAA zones. A few patrolling officers would also arrive within 5 or so (likely less) minutes. A fully armed high threat response team would of course take longer. Don't forget that most AAA zones likely also would have their own police and not rely on the same forces than the rest of the city (even when they are from the same company).

As for AAA zones, Sentosa Island, at least the eastern part, in Singapore would certainly be one.

+Quote Post
Belker
post Apr 24 2013, 05:22 PM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 66,483

As mentioned up-thread, the original Seattle Sourcebook has ratings for that city. Also from Way Back When, the Neo-Anarchist's Guide To North America has ratings for at least some of the cities detailed within. I know for certain it's got ratings for the Greater DC Sprawl; I'm pretty sure Manhattan is covered as well. Don't have it handy so can't check the others.

This was recently re-released in PDF format and is, IMHO, a great resource. There's a few things in that book that don't (AFAIK) show up anywhere else in the canon.

+Quote Post
Freya
post Apr 24 2013, 05:28 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 85,966

@ OP: Yes, there is. It's not a specific breakdown of individual neighbourhoods; I think it's actually part of a Lifestyle write-up that lists example neighbourhoods for each tier. I'm trying to find which book it was in, will update this post when I do if someone else doesn't find it first.

Edit: Sorry, didn't realise the one I was looking for was the one you'd already posted. What I have from older books (spoiler-tagged for ease of reading):

[ Spoiler ]

And my guesses from 4th Edition books (without reprinting Montreal):

[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
bannockburn
post Apr 24 2013, 05:35 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 51,886

For Seattle at least, there are some good maps with overlays.

http://www.1w6.de/rpg/sr/map/?borders=on for example

+Quote Post
Mantis
post Apr 24 2013, 11:51 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 17,538

Cool map. Thanks for the link. That basically takes everything that was in the old Seattle Sourcebook and lays it out for all to see.

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Apr 24 2013, 11:57 PM
Post #14

Man Behind the Curtain

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I even heard a guy around here was working on Seattle maps, using the various Seattle books as starting points...

+Quote Post
ChromeZephyr
post Apr 25 2013, 12:19 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,252

I'm too used to Canray's blatant self-pimping, Redjack. I actually had to mouseover than link before I realized it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Apr 25 2013, 01:14 AM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

QUOTE (bannockburn @ Apr 24 2013, 11:35 AM) *
For Seattle at least, there are some good maps with overlays.

http://www.1w6.de/rpg/sr/map/?borders=on for example
Thanks. Bookmarked it for future references.

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Apr 25 2013, 03:43 AM
Post #17

Man Behind the Curtain

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

QUOTE (Redjack @ Apr 24 2013, 06:57 PM) *
I even heard a guy around here was working on Seattle maps, using the various Seattle books as starting points...
QUOTE (ChromeZephyr @ Apr 24 2013, 07:19 PM) *
I'm too used to Canray's blatant self-pimping, Redjack. I actually had to mouseover than link before I realized it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Yea. CanRay style would have been something more like:

I even heard a guy around here was working on ---> Seattle maps <---, using the various Seattle books as starting points... (Click the link)

Buy NOW! Buy TWO!

Why are you still here?! Go buy one now!!!

+Quote Post
ChromeZephyr
post Apr 25 2013, 04:04 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,252

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:53 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.