Reply to this topicStart new topic
> new smartlink add-on, multi-opbject processing
mfb
post Apr 25 2004, 07:05 AM
Post #1

Immortal Elf

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,670

had a cool idea for a new mod for smartlink-2 processors.

Multi-Object Processing
Ess: 0.1
Cost: 2,000Y
Fluff: The multi-object subprocessor takes advantage of downcycles in the main smartlink processor's queue, using them to track possible targets peripheral to the main target.
Game Effect: additional -2 TN to second and following targets fired at during a single combat phase.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Crusher Bob
post Apr 25 2004, 07:54 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 4,253

Eh? I though it did that already?

Or are you talking about negating the switching target modifier?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 25 2004, 08:12 AM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

clarified. basically, it allows you to fire at two seperate targets with no modifier. the third target is then +2 TN, fourth +4, and so on.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 25 2004, 08:13 AM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

I believe he is. Personally, given everything else SL-2 does, it kind of seems like it should do that already. For that reason, I have to say I don't like this, though aside from that, the concept and execution are solid enough.

[edit]

Beat me to it. In that case, I have to say, I don't like how it works mechanically. Personally, I'd prefer it if it just halved the penalty. Makes more sense, too, I think.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Apr 25 2004, 08:58 AM
Post #5

Decker on the Threshold

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,156

Maybe it would be more balanced if the bonus were not compatible with the +2 called shot modifier? As it is you're just making the SL-2 even better than it is already, which it frankly doesn't need to be. :)

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Apr 25 2004, 02:08 PM
Post #6

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

This should be more of tactical headware that boosts the smart link, the smart link itself is a tie between your vision and where the gun is aimed. (think Robocop's targeting). This sounds like a HUD on a fighter that can track mulitple targets. The problem is that for the speed advantage the system would have to pre-choose the second target for you. That means the player looses some control, does it predesignate "nearest target to the shooter" "Target with least need to correct aimn from last shot" etc. If the shooter has to think about it, that causes a delay and there would be no bene from the tech.

Sort of "Damn I wanted to geek the mage but the gun keeps targeting the goons between us"

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 29 2004, 05:02 AM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

not really. what it does, basically, is keep a running set of basic calculations on every viable target in your field of vision. that way, when you switch targets, the processor already has the groundwork it needs to set up a full firing solution, instead of calculating everything from the ground up.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 29 2004, 06:24 AM
Post #8

Runner

Given that they've been described as essentially devices to project the effects of laser sighting equipment onto your field of view, I don't think a firing solution ever enters into it with the exception of longer ranges and indirect fire.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 29 2004, 07:02 AM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

well, given that there are no range maximums on smartlinks (they even work for the max ranges on railguns), they certainly don't use laser sights. some sort of calculation has to take place at some point; at sniper rifle ranges, not to mention railgun ranges, bullet rise and drop must be accounted for; range for these calculations is probably taken from the user's own depth perception and spatial awareness (smartgoggles have neither, which explains their lesser effectiveness). not to mention, if no calculation takes place, there's no need for a processor that links with the human nervous system. where did you find the description of them that calls them simple laser sights?

+Quote Post
I Eat Time
post Apr 29 2004, 07:22 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,291

The way I've read it, the Smartlink calculates the gun's angle with your arm and inclination. Most of the aiming still happens with your arm, but the Smartlink does some angle trajectory calculations once you've acquired the target to take into account things you can't think of at the moment. (Recoil, bullet travel time, etc.) It appears in your field of vision as a targeting reticule or crosshairs, showing exactly what you're aiming at, or more specifically, what you're going to shoot when you squeeze the trigger. (If I'm wrong or there's more specifics in the book, please tell me, I've unfortunately lost most of mine).

Alternatively, I think SL-2 does some fair target acquisition, a more elaborate crosshair to see -exactly- where you're shooting, faster calculations, etc. In game terms, you can sharpshoot better, hence the half-modifier for Called Shots.

Basically, I don't know the the SL does any kind of serious 'target acquisition" to begin with, snapping your arm to its appropriate place to shoot the gun. I guess the SL-2 add-on you're talking about could highlight close moving targets, so eyeing your next shot won't be so difficult.

Again, if the SL actually moves your arm, or some other effect, someone tell me.

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Apr 29 2004, 07:25 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 6,191

Welcome to Dumpshock. Beware of magically active office furniture.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 29 2004, 07:29 AM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

right, and it doesn't have to move your arm. think about it in terms of Virtua Cop: the guy you want to shoot at has a little reticle around him that makes it easier to aim at him, and the other guys around him have their own reticles that make it easier to switch targets once the first guy goes down. the smartlink already knows where you need to put your gun in order to make a shot at each target in your field of view; you just have to move it there.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 29 2004, 07:35 AM
Post #13

Runner

QUOTE (mfb)
well, given that there are no range maximums on smartlinks (they even work for the max ranges on railguns), they certainly don't use laser sights. some sort of calculation has to take place at some point; at sniper rifle ranges, not to mention railgun ranges, bullet rise and drop must be accounted for; range for these calculations is probably taken from the user's own depth perception and spatial awareness (smartgoggles have neither, which explains their lesser effectiveness). not to mention, if no calculation takes place, there's no need for a processor that links with the human nervous system. where did you find the description of them that calls them simple laser sights?

No, I meant that they give you the effects of laser sighting overlayed over your vision. So, in essence, what you see with Smartlink installed is a line projecting from your weapon to where your weapon will hit, but it's not an actual laser projecting from the weapon. Unlike a laser sight and because of the complex processing it does, it also calculates (albeit roughly) for flight ballistics, wind, etc. But I really don't think it does actual target acquisition. That's a mess of things that a simple Smartlink doesn't get into— at least from how I believe it's been described. Honestly, on the level of a single person, target acquisition isn't even that useful, and I don't see it being used.

Incidentally, do you think Smartlinks are purely passive as far as sensing all the information needed for this stuff goes, or do you think there's an active component (laser rangefinder, etc)?

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Apr 29 2004, 07:47 AM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

I think I Eat Time has it nailed pretty-much. Let's look at what the system consists of:
A Limited Simrig (Only in cyber versions)
An Induction Pad (Optional for cyber versions)
A Processor
An Eye Display
A Weapon Modification

So a processor, an eye display, and weapon mod are sufficient to give you a -1 to TNs. If you make the processor and eye display cyber and add-in a simrig then you get -2 TN. Nothing there is capible of moving your body though.

+Quote Post
I Eat Time
post Apr 29 2004, 07:50 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,291

I can see an advancement in cybertech involving Skillsofts working with it, but they'd be pretty expensive, and would really shoot game balance out the window.

By the way, Lilt, I dunno if you've realized it, but that's the most friggin' Bushido Zen tag line I've ever seen.

+Quote Post
simonw2000
post Apr 29 2004, 09:39 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,491

Anyone know why you can't use smartlinks and Laser Sights?

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 29 2004, 09:51 AM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

conflicting data. a laser sight projects a straight line from (roughly) the barrel of your weapon, to where you're shooting. bullets don't go in straight lines, however; they rise, once they leave the barrel, then begin to fall again about midway through their path. smartlinks take this into account, and so are able to tell you where your bullet will hit, as opposed to simply telling you where the gun's pointed.

arethusa, i see smartlinks as depending completely on the user's sensorium, or on imaging hardware built into smartgoggles. smartlinks have to have some limited ability to acquire targets, however, as it would otherwise be impossible to correctly calculate ranges (in order to calculate the distance between you and something else, you have to have that something else!). for smartgoggles, this is done through simple triangulation, and maybe some sort of low-end retinal scanner that detects how far out your eye is focusing. cybernetic links can simply read your visual sensorium through the limited simrig to determine what you're looking at. smartgun processors with multi-object processing can use the same cues to guestimate what else in the user's field of view might be a viable target.

+Quote Post
Lindt
post Apr 29 2004, 01:56 PM
Post #18

Man In The Machine

Member No.: 1,105

Meh, frag it, and call it a SL-3. More bang for your essence. Better processer allows for faster more accurate movment between possible targets. Just costs a bit more money.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Apr 29 2004, 02:11 PM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 2,032

I would suggest that you phrase it as 'removing penalties' rather than giving TN bonuses. The TN bonuses method would allow adepts with centering on ranged combat to lower the TN further than they could have originally, which probably shouldn't be the case.

+Quote Post
Erghitz
post Apr 29 2004, 05:56 PM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 3,055

I had made something similar to this, and I was actually deciding to call it a prototype to SmartLink III.

I think I had penalty reduced from +2 to +1 for switching targets in sight. If the user was using two guns they could fire at two targets with no penalty (Other than the penalties associated with using two weapons) but switching targets with two guns still had the penalty at +2.

If you want fluff they you could always use the simrig giving the person the feeling of when to fire while moving the gun to the next target which I assume is half the problem. So instead of complete winging it when moving targets the user has the feeling of when to fire while switching to the target.

-- Erghitz

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Apr 29 2004, 06:04 PM
Post #21

Chicago Survivor

Member No.: 6,033

I just want the SL and SL-2 to work with vision mag again.

+Quote Post
Fahr
post Apr 29 2004, 06:10 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,094

I disagree with mfb in target aquisition by smartlink.

I don't think SL does anything of the sort. your brain is all the target aquisition part. you want to hit the mage in the back, so you move your gun to point at him, in doing so the reticle moves (with help of trajectory calcs) to show you what you would hit if you pulled the trigger right then. the human adjusts there arm until the reticle is on the thing he wants to hit. but the smartlink can't tell if that is a person, door, grenade in mid flight or any other data.

In order for it to help you target your next target it has to know what you intend to target next. and even then, it won't help you much, you still have to move your gun to the next target after you decide what it is.

what you might be looking for would be something like:
Target highlighter
essence .2
cost 5000 :nuyen:
this cyber highlights potential targets in your field of vision based on a set of parameters loaded into some sort of memory device (headware, chip or datajacked memory) these parameters help the user identify targets of certain types, or down to specific individuals. this helps with perception tests for this criteria, and target switching penalty reduction when used to target multiple targets that fall under the criteria. this has the drawback of adding an equal penalty to perception of non highlighted targets and multiple target shooting of non highlighted targets due to the distraction that the highlighting provides in those situations.

reduce multiple target penalties by half for highlighted targets, and double for non-highlighted targets in the presence of highlighted targets.

reduce distracted penalty for perception test when looking for highlighted targets, and apply distracted penalty for all other perception tests.

something like this maybe?

-Mike R. :nuyen:

This post has been edited by Fahr: Apr 29 2004, 06:12 PM

+Quote Post
TheHawkMan
post Apr 29 2004, 10:20 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 5,607

Isn't there a Friend or Foe module for SL2 ? allowing you to register friendly targets by tem carryign a transmitter or something ?

I'd say this seems to indiciate there is taregt aquisition, and even possibly some primitive level of probability checking , so you get a cursor where the target will be when the bullet arrives. Like fighters have today.

in the advanced technology in shadowrun recognizing humand and inanimate objects shouldn't be a problem. the whole fact that it only locks onto one target at a time also seems to indicate this is how it is. If it didn't have target aquisition, then you coulde easily, use akimbo with two separate targets, wich you can't with regular SL2 as far as I remember. if each gun just had a crosshair moving over the terrain in front of you, this wouldn't be an issue.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 29 2004, 11:01 PM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

indeed, there is smartlink-compatible IFF gear.

Fahr, if that's the case, how do you explain the lower modifier on called shots when using a smartlink-2?

+Quote Post
Fahr
post Apr 29 2004, 11:17 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,094

better processor and simrig give you smaller crosshairs/better precision...

IE SL1 gives you a target Red Dot that covers a 1 foot diameter at short range on the target getting progressively larger at further ranges relative to the target (showing the lack of solid data)

SL2 gives you a smaller dot like 2 inch diameter at short range. still getting progressively larger at longer ranges relative to the target.

SL2 means that the bullet prediction is better and so you can place your shot easier, SL1 just gives you a general idea of the area, fine if all you want to do is shoot center mass, but not too helpful for shooting someones eye.

-Mike R

edit:typos

This post has been edited by Fahr: Apr 29 2004, 11:18 PM

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 07:20 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.