Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Skill Web
Black Swan
post May 28 2013, 07:03 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 103,046

What do you miss the most about the older versions of SR?

One thing I miss is the old skill web for defaulting. It may not have been the most effective, but I did enjoy the concept.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Shemhazai
post May 28 2013, 08:16 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,835

How about:

If a skill is part of a skill group, the character may default on their choice of (Attribute - 1) or (Attribute + highest skill in group - 4). That would mean that skill levels of 4 or more within that skill group would start to add dice to defaulting. Note: This does not imply that the character must have purchased those skills as a group.

+Quote Post
Redjack
post May 28 2013, 08:46 PM
Post #3

Man Behind the Curtain

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Seconded the skill web. We liked it.

+Quote Post
Aaron
post May 28 2013, 10:13 PM
Post #4

Mr. Johnson

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 8,314

The skill web was the awesome. Who cares if it made it impossible to add more skills later on? Theoretically, by the Fifth Edition we've got all the skills we're going to have, yeah?

+Quote Post
Sengir
post May 28 2013, 11:27 PM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

Hmmm, top off my head and minus stuff we will probably get back (then "some difference between mages and shamans" would win) I'd say the Availability/Legaility/Street Index system. Like the skill web, all sorts of complications included, but different street costs and legality tables and all that were nice to have...

Oh, and nobody mentioned Dikote yet? I am dearly disappointed...

+Quote Post
Black Swan
post May 28 2013, 11:42 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

QUOTE (Sengir @ May 28 2013, 11:27 PM) *
Oh, and nobody mentioned Dikote yet? I am dearly disappointed...

You know, I haven't even thought about it since 3rd. As well, I never went too far into the extra books in 4th (as the system never really got my motor running), so I just assumed it was there.

from a gear availability point of view, I also used to like the exponential cost increases for gear (Ex: rating x rating x 1000 nuyen). I think SR4 made things too cheap.

+Quote Post
RHat
post May 29 2013, 12:17 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 76,875

QUOTE (Black Swan @ May 28 2013, 05:42 PM) *
You know, I haven't even thought about it since 3rd. As well, I never went too far into the extra books in 4th (as the system never really got my motor running), so I just assumed it was there.

from a gear availability point of view, I also used to like the exponential cost increases for gear (Ex: rating x rating x 1000 nuyen). I think SR4 made things too cheap.

I think SR4's numbers use a different notion of a base rate than prior versions did - or was the default pay rate the same?

+Quote Post
Black Swan
post May 29 2013, 12:44 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (RHat @ May 29 2013, 12:17 AM) *
I think SR4's numbers use a different notion of a base rate than prior versions did - or was the default pay rate the same?

Not sure. But if its not the same, that would have made things very bad for awkward players: A) the GM would be giving out too much, and B) the players would be expecting more than normal.

+Quote Post
RHat
post May 29 2013, 01:17 AM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 76,875

SR4 doesn't exactly do the best job of offering guidance on how much should be paid - you've pretty much just got a function of karma:nuyen; ideally 1:2500.

+Quote Post
The_Dood
post May 29 2013, 05:28 AM
Post #10

Target

Member No.: 1,874

The skill web and descriptive damage codes. The look of confusion on the new player's face when I told him to take 9M from an ares predator during a 4E game was priceless. I even began to explain to him the mechanics of a 9M shot until I realised what edition we were playing.

+Quote Post
Cain
post May 29 2013, 07:44 AM
Post #11

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

Allocatable dice pools. They were a fun and unique mechanic, added a good tactical element to combat without slowing things down.

+Quote Post
Black Swan
post May 29 2013, 10:09 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (Cain @ May 29 2013, 07:44 AM) *
Allocatable dice pools. They were a fun and unique mechanic, added a good tactical element to combat without slowing things down.

Yes, I think I miss the combat/magic/hacking pools most of all. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
White Buffalo
post May 29 2013, 01:48 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 103,325

I miss the old version of asspected mages. The 4E version is halfassed at best.

+Quote Post
Seerow
post May 29 2013, 03:18 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 26,658

QUOTE (RHat @ May 29 2013, 02:17 AM) *
SR4 doesn't exactly do the best job of offering guidance on how much should be paid - you've pretty much just got a function of karma:nuyen; ideally 1:2500.

Even that guidance really falls apart at a point. Mission payout/karma:nuyen ratio should improve as the runners get more experienced. When you hit the point that the sammy actually needs 500k nuyen to get another upgrade, and the Mage needs 17 karma to initiate again, giving the Sammy his 500k, going with that ratio, you also earn 200 karma, which is going give the mage a much bigger boost (we're talking like +3-4 points of magic/initiation plus some other stuff on the side just cause kind of boost).

But yes, clearer rules on this would be great.

On topic, I liked how in SR3 you had softcaps for skills, where getting a skill up to your attribute was cheap, and pushing beyond that was expensive. I'd like to see something similar to that come back. Most characters should have 1-3 ranks in a whole bunch of basic skills.

I also liked the old Shamanic/Hermetic divide, and am glad that they're making those more distinct.

+Quote Post
Black Swan
post May 29 2013, 09:22 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (Seerow @ May 29 2013, 04:18 PM) *
On topic, I liked how in SR3 you had softcaps for skills, where getting a skill up to your attribute was cheap, and pushing beyond that was expensive. I'd like to see something similar to that come back. Most characters should have 1-3 ranks in a whole bunch of basic skills.

I also liked the old Shamanic/Hermetic divide, and am glad that they're making those more distinct.

I agree with both of those. I think when they made SR4, they took what was broken in SR3 and fixed it, and then turned around and took what was good about SR3 and mangled it, if not completely abolished it.

+Quote Post
Shaidar
post May 30 2013, 06:54 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,262

QUOTE (Black Swan @ May 28 2013, 04:42 PM) *

There are stats for Dikote in the 2050 book.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th April 2024 - 02:12 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.