Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Why Katanas?
FuelDrop
post Jul 23 2013, 05:29 AM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 53,300

Ok, I'm going to start by saying that Katanas are awesome. Even if there were no practical benefits to using one over a kitchen knife, about half of us would still grab them for our runners because Katana.

However...
If you want something that can't be effectively hidden and screams "I'm a shadowrunner", it's either the Katana or the Panther XXL. Outside of a very small set of circumstances, isn't it better to hide the fact that you're a professional criminal?

What I am trying to say is this: Why are so many runners focused on this sword? What is it about the beautiful, finely crafted distinctive curved blade that captures our imaginations so and sets us running around committing crimes with it? For a professional killer there are many other options out there that are somewhat comparable but lack the distinctive bulk.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kzt
post Jul 23 2013, 05:45 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

Katanas are because that's what shows up in the old cyberpunk stuff back when "Japan is going to own the world in a few years."

That said, I don't know anyone who ever took one. I remember one guy who had a character with some kind of crazy axe. But nobody with swords. Melee in SR is a terrible option anyhow, smart people use ranged weapons. If I'm going to smuggle in a pound of steel past security it's going to be a gun barrel, not a sword.

+Quote Post
White Buffalo
post Jul 23 2013, 04:32 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 103,325

There can be only one..... reason. The Highlander. Duncan Macleod, was responsible for more sword envy than any other factor in my youth, That said, the show has aged terribly and my characters take firearms now.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Jul 23 2013, 06:57 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

Vorpal Katana of Sparking +5

+Quote Post
Mäx
post Jul 23 2013, 07:05 PM
Post #5

Prime Runner

Member No.: 15,628

Come on guys, there's a 86 post duplicate of this topic, no need to post into this one.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 03:53 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.