Reply to this topicStart new topic
> HANG ON!, Pick a deck, any deck...
FuelDrop
post Aug 2 2013, 10:58 AM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 53,300

An implanted cyberdeck has an availability of 5R. Flat 5R.
Likewise, no implanted commlink has an availability.

I'm thinking this might be a problem...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Aug 2 2013, 10:59 AM
Post #2

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

why?
get a deltaware implanted deck for 5R and bajillion of nuyen (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Aug 2 2013, 11:02 AM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 53,300

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 2 2013, 06:59 PM) *
why?
get a deltaware implanted deck for 5R and bajillion of nuyen (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Why? because it means that a top-of-the-line deck is easier to get your hands on than most guns, but only if you get it implanted.

+Quote Post
Doc Chaos
post Aug 2 2013, 11:10 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,119

This has been discussed in another thread (which I sadly can't find at the moment). Consensus IIRC was 'This will probably be in the errata, in the meantime if your GM lets you loophole that way, lucky you.'.

+Quote Post
White Buffalo
post Aug 2 2013, 04:03 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 103,325

I've always ruled at my table that if there is a combination of availablity i take the worst of both worlds. For example in 4e a player was looking for Katana Weapon Focus, based on the focus rating it was easyer to find than the katana but cost more. So I charged Katana avialiability and Focus cost. No reason you coudn't do that with decks.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Aug 2 2013, 04:06 PM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (Doc Chaos @ Aug 2 2013, 07:10 AM) *
This has been discussed in another thread (which I sadly can't find at the moment). Consensus IIRC was 'This will probably be in the errata, in the meantime if your GM lets you loophole that way, lucky you.'.

i don't think this specifically was discussed. we did discuss how it interacts with used 'ware in terms of price, but i don't think we ever really discussed availability.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Aug 2 2013, 06:56 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

The way I look at it, the implant itself that holds the cyberdeck is availability 5R. You still have to get the cyberdeck that is going to be installed into that implant, which has its own availability.

Even in the SR4 version, I always saw the commlink implant as the housing, and the commlink itself as something that could be swapped out for something better down the road.

+Quote Post
HugeC
post Aug 2 2013, 07:51 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,563

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Aug 2 2013, 01:56 PM) *
The way I look at it, the implant itself that holds the cyberdeck is availability 5R. You still have to get the cyberdeck that is going to be installed into that implant, which has its own availability.

Even in the SR4 version, I always saw the commlink implant as the housing, and the commlink itself as something that could be swapped out for something better down the road.

This.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Aug 2 2013, 07:53 PM
Post #9

The ShadowComedian

i don't think it works that way.
you don't get a hatch built into your skull that you can open for an upgrade.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Aug 2 2013, 08:03 PM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Then what decker in their right mind is going to get an implanted cyberdeck better than Standard grade, and could actually get a discount for getting a used cyberdeck instead. For 0.5 Essence & ¥262,500 you get an implanted Sony CIY-720, over ¥80,000 off the cost of the same cyberdeck you have to carry on you.

+Quote Post
Elfenlied
post Aug 2 2013, 08:07 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,018

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Aug 2 2013, 09:03 PM) *
Then what decker in their right mind is going to get an implanted cyberdeck better than Standard grade, and could actually get a discount for getting a used cyberdeck instead. For 0.5 Essence & ¥262,500 you get an implanted Sony CIY-720, over ¥80,000 off the cost of the same cyberdeck you have to carry on you.

Not to mention you get to start with the Shiawase Cyber-5, which clocks in at around 417k.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Aug 2 2013, 08:12 PM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

Yeah, thanks. Forgot about the reduced availability to used 'ware. Puts the Shiawase Cyber-5 at availability 11R & ¥415,781.25 of a starting character's Priority A ¥450,000 (before karma).

And if a decker decides to maximize karma for cash, that's another ¥100,000 to spend.

+Quote Post
Voran
post Aug 2 2013, 08:26 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 6,099

Yeah, so is an internal commlink or internal cyberdeck a "smuggler compartment in your head that you put a commlink/cyberdeck in". Or like the old "Cranial Cyberdeck"? I mean the headware blurb in the rulebook mentions 'constructed by less invasive nanosurgery" so are you 'slotting' a cyberdeck or is it being built from 'scratch' inside your head?

+Quote Post
HugeC
post Aug 2 2013, 08:26 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,563

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Aug 2 2013, 02:53 PM) *
i don't think it works that way.
you don't get a hatch built into your skull that you can open for an upgrade.

It could look like this.

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Aug 2 2013, 09:07 PM
Post #15

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

QUOTE (Voran @ Aug 2 2013, 12:26 PM) *
Yeah, so is an internal commlink or internal cyberdeck a "smuggler compartment in your head that you put a commlink/cyberdeck in". Or like the old "Cranial Cyberdeck"? I mean the headware blurb in the rulebook mentions 'constructed by less invasive nanosurgery" so are you 'slotting' a cyberdeck or is it being built from 'scratch' inside your head?

Even in SR3 you could get a deck implanted into an cyber arm... forget brain surgery, I have tons of extra room in my peritoneal cavity.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Aug 2 2013, 09:23 PM
Post #16

Neophyte Runner

Sheesh, call me forgetful. Obvious Standard cyberhand with built in Shiawase Cyber-5 cyberdeck (all of it Second Hand): 0.3125 Essence & ¥419,531.25. And don't forget that the cyberdeck is also automatically hot simmed in all of this; an implanted sim module seems to have also mysteriously disappeared (like skinlinks and such).

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Aug 2 2013, 09:26 PM
Post #17

Runner

Let's be reasonable... forearm.

+Quote Post
Voran
post Aug 2 2013, 09:35 PM
Post #18

Running Target

Heh, you can have your own Pipboy, or omnitool.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Aug 2 2013, 10:38 PM
Post #19

The ShadowComedian

this was one of the few things that the cyberhead ever was usefull for.
get one, put a deck or/and a shit load of other dreck in there for capacity instead of essence and call it a day . .
Well, that and it makes you look like the terminator, which actually helped with intimidation under SR3.
and it lowered the damage level by one for a called shot to the head under SR3.
and it lowered the stress-level for headware of both bioware and cyberware i think. at least cyberware though.
and you could head-butt somebody to death with it. you could also armor it, but cyberlimb armor was useless under SR3.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Aug 2 2013, 10:43 PM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Aug 2 2013, 04:26 PM) *
Let's be reasonable... forearm.

Excuse me, X, the hand has a capacity of 4 and the cranial cyberdeck takes up 4 capacity, so therefore you can squeeze it into a cyberhand. You just don't have room for anything else.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Aug 2 2013, 10:44 PM
Post #21

The ShadowComedian

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Aug 3 2013, 12:43 AM) *
Excuse me, X, the hand has a capacity of 4 and the cranial cyberdeck takes up 4 capacity, so therefore you can squeeze it into a cyberhand. You just don't have room for anything else.

makes repairing it quite easy though.
simply get a second hand, remove the one with the deck, put on the one without the deck, repair it and swap back.

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Aug 2 2013, 10:49 PM
Post #22

Runner

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Aug 2 2013, 03:43 PM) *

Ehh, I think about how small the hand is and that a deck is the size of a 2 playing card decks or so. Although some of that is relegated to display.

+Quote Post
Voran
post Aug 2 2013, 10:52 PM
Post #23

Running Target

QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Aug 2 2013, 05:49 PM) *
Ehh, I think about how small the hand is and that a deck is the size of a 2 playing card decks or so. Although some of that is relegated to display.

Yeah, I figure the deck size is due to display and ergonomics. If you put all the electronics into compact form, that 'i-pad' sized thing probably only takes a deck of cards or smaller space. Heck maybe matchbox sized.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Aug 2 2013, 10:59 PM
Post #24

Neophyte Runner

The artwork makes it look like it's at least 50% display screen, much like the current iPad and other such tablets. A lot of unnecessary volume for making it an implant.

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Aug 2 2013, 11:08 PM
Post #25

Runner

Member No.: 7,216

If you are going with an implanted deck, wouldn't you just have it feed any visuals straight to your cybereyes or AR goggles anyway?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:52 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.