Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What 'ware would you get?
FuelDrop
post Aug 3 2013, 01:59 AM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 53,300

Ok, you have been granted ONE piece of fully kitted out 'ware, in delta grade and max rating. What would you pick?

I'm seriously tempted by cybereyes, personally, though cerebral boosters would be badass too.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Aug 3 2013, 02:32 AM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

Dunno if I want my shiny eye gems scooped out with a melon ball and replaced with digital cameras.

Or having my brain messed with.

The benefits are tempting though.

+Quote Post
Raiden
post Aug 3 2013, 04:39 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 53,120

Most tempting to me... muscle replacement or synaptic boosters. Hard choice tho.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Aug 3 2013, 04:44 AM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

sleep regulator.

+Quote Post
Raiden
post Aug 3 2013, 04:45 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 53,120

QUOTE (Jaid @ Aug 3 2013, 12:44 AM) *
sleep regulator.

The one from SR4. .... extremely tempting also

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Aug 3 2013, 06:52 AM
Post #6

Awakened Asset

Member No.: 7,309

Suprathyroid gland (SR4), as it has only benefits besides having to spend more on food.

+Quote Post
quentra
post Aug 3 2013, 07:01 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 14,536

Wired 3, duh. It just makes you better than other people.

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Aug 3 2013, 07:45 AM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 18,115

The OXSYS Cybergill is a very high level contender for me. Oddly enough, it's hands-down superior to the Gills bioware, which is kind of the opposite of the normal situation.

Jaid already mentioned it, but yes, the Sleep Regulator is awfully tempting, if we're allowing Bioware. And as bad as it may sound, the Dietware cosmetic bioware could be great as well - although not anywhere near as nice as the Sustenance adept power.

Ooh, also - Pain Editor. Because once it's made you aware that, yes, you just wounded yourself, pain doesn't really serve much further purpose.

Decisions, decisions...

~Umi

+Quote Post
Skynet
post Aug 3 2013, 07:55 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 127,501

QUOTE (Umidori @ Aug 3 2013, 09:45 AM) *
(...)
Ooh, also - Pain Editor. Because once it's made you aware that, yes, you just wounded yourself, pain doesn't really serve much further purpose.

Decisions, decisions...

~Umi

Something along the lines of "Pain is the bodys way of saying 'slow down'" (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) (Although it should stop yelling that in my ear after a while.)

As for the topic: Mnemonic enhancers might be a nice choice.

+Quote Post
Elfenlied
post Aug 3 2013, 07:56 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,018

For me, it's one of those:
Synaptic Booster R3 (obvious reasons)
Tailored Pheromones R3 (again, obvious reasons)
Léonization (not at this time, but at a later date)
Skillwires (assuming skillsofts come with it)

+Quote Post
kerbarian
post Aug 3 2013, 08:10 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,387

Cerebral booster, no question. Second place would be a competition between tailored pheromones, sleep regulator, and mnemonic enhancer.

Being fast or strong or seeing in the dark would be fun, but I'm much less likely to get involved in gunfights or espionage than the characters I play (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) .

Actually, a cranial cyberdeck is an interesting choice, assuming it would let you easily hack every network, account, and machine on the planet, but I think that one's kinda cheating.

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Aug 3 2013, 08:31 AM
Post #12

Runner

Tailored Pheromones is too skeazy for me. I don't like manipulating people, especially by playing on leftover instincts that they are seldom even aware of. If I can't win someone over in an argument with reasoning, or befriend someone based purely on who I am, I neither want nor deserve to do so.

A Mnemonic Enhancer or Cerebral booster is nice, but human memory and intellect is already potentially amazing - all it takes is training. Ditto with things like Muscle Toner and Augmentation, and to be honest, the Dietware I mentioned in my previous post.

No, when I'm really honest with myself the 'ware I would want most is stuff that allows me to do things that are otherwise impossible. I could be strong and fit without 'ware, I could have a sharp memory as well, heck, I could even learn to block out pain. But things like being able to breathe water indefinitel and being able to get a full night's sleep out of only three hours are things my biology simply cannot attain, and hence would be incalculably more valuable than most any other 'ware choice.

~Umi

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Aug 3 2013, 08:40 AM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,310

Is it cheating to say MBW system? (as it's essentially two implants in one) load it up with a bunch of activesofts and you're good to go...
Barring that a datajack and a huge supply of know/linguasofts

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Aug 3 2013, 08:48 AM
Post #14

Runner

I dunno, man. MBW is freaky tech.

I mean, are you really cool with operating in a state of constant seizure controlled only by the system's software? Glob forbid something goes wrong, because you'll be reduced to a pile of twitching flesh and wires, and the best medical help in the world might not be able to set you right again.

Also, besides the awesome factor, they don't seem terribly practical. Okay, yeah, you have incredible reflexes. What exactly are you gonna use them for? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Not that my choices are all that much more valuable. "Oh, gills? That's nice, I guess, if you just want to sit under the surface of a pool or whatever for hours at a time, not doing anything interesting." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Which, actually, I would love to do. I'm weird like that. I imagine it'd be pretty damn awesome to fall asleep underwater as well. Complete comfort, assuming the temperature is proper.

~Umi

+Quote Post
Lionhearted
post Aug 3 2013, 08:56 AM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,310

With Cyberware you can always turn it off when you don't use it Umi, but yeah MBW is risky biz... there's something about moving at moving at the speed of reflex though...

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Aug 3 2013, 08:59 AM
Post #16

Runner

Yeah, that something is called whiplash.

Or ruptured ligaments.

Or detached retinas.

Or shear-fractured carpals.

I could go on.

~Umi

+Quote Post
Elfenlied
post Aug 3 2013, 09:04 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (Umidori @ Aug 3 2013, 09:31 AM) *
Tailored Pheromones is too skeazy for me. I don't like manipulating people, especially by playing on leftover instincts that they are seldom even aware of. If I can't win someone over in an argument with reasoning, or befriend someone based purely on who I am, I neither want nor deserve to do so.

Hmm, that's the reason why I want it in the first place (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Then again, I work as a corporate consultant, and most of the time convincing people to make the right choices is more important than being popular.

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Aug 3 2013, 09:11 AM
Post #18

Runner

Corporate scum! Die!

*Pink Mohawks all over the floor*

~Umi

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Aug 3 2013, 09:20 AM
Post #19

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,216

QUOTE (Umidori @ Aug 3 2013, 04:31 AM) *

~Umi

It's just another tool, not mind control and no different than dressing appropriately for a meeting. If you are dressed like a street bum, you are not going to win many debates with a person as your appearance will nominally rule you out as a valid source and most won't even bother to listen. Likewise if you smell like you just crawled out of the sewer, see how many new friends you can make at a social gathering. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Aug 3 2013, 09:38 AM
Post #20

Runner

There's a difference between the social convention of "appropriate" dress, and the act of purposefully tapping into primal instincts to manipulate people. Clothing and fashion is entirely cultural - wearing a white dress to a funeral is tabboo in our culture, but in Korea it's the customary mourning color in the same way black is ours. We only wear suits and ties for meetings because our culture has trained us to, not because it has any inherent value.

In contrast, pheremones affect a person at a biological level, which is a level humans typically don't interact on socially. Pheromones are drugs. Selectively dispersing them into the air around you in order to affect the physiological functioning of other people and make them more susceptible to your influence is just as nefarious as slipping Rohypnol into someone's drink.

There's also a difference between not wearing human pheromones for the purpose of manipulating people, and being unclean. On that note, I do hope that you wash yourself for other reasons than just wanting to manipulate other people. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

~Umi

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post Aug 3 2013, 09:56 AM
Post #21

Runner

Member No.: 17,234

The humble datajack. DNI would be extremely useful to me

Runners up are any kind of spinal replacement (so MBw or Wr) or sleep regulator.

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Aug 3 2013, 10:05 AM
Post #22

Runner

QUOTE (Umidori @ Aug 3 2013, 04:38 AM) *
There's a difference between the social convention of "appropriate" dress, and the act of purposefully tapping into primal instincts to manipulate people. Clothing and fashion is entirely cultural - wearing a white dress to a funeral is tabboo in our culture, but in Korea it's the customary mourning color in the same way black is ours. We only wear suits and ties for meetings because our culture has trained us to, not because it has any inherent value.

And when you wear that suit to a business meeting you are tapping into a social instinct to manipulate people. Go to a power meeting wearing t-shirt, ripped jeans and sneakers and see the difference in how they treat you. Some mavericks can pull it off, but the majority of the time you will be dismissed as not being serious regardless of whatever skillset / genius you might possess. It is still manipulation, just on another level and often times this is stronger than what you will get from the biological level pheromone.

In contrast, pheremones affect a person at a biological level, which is a level humans typically don't interact on socially. Pheromones are drugs. Selectively dispersing them into the air around you in order to affect the physiological functioning of other people and make them more susceptible to your influence is just as nefarious as slipping Rohypnol into someone's drink.

There is a bit of difference between pheromones and a roofie and if you can not distinquish between a scent that can trigger reactions from a drug that flat out impairs higher thought processes it will be impossible to hold any discussion on that point. You still have some say in the matter of the first case, practically none in the second.

Also does this mean you disapprove of makeup and perfumes? While a perfume does not necessarily contain pheromones, it can trigger reactions and influence people along similar lines. Interesting tidbit, when a woman wears vanilla fragrance men generally perceive her to be 10 lbs lighter than she sctually is, research has differing opinions as to the why, but small things like this all add up.

+Quote Post
Elfenlied
post Aug 3 2013, 10:10 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

QUOTE (Umidori @ Aug 3 2013, 10:38 AM) *
On that note, I do hope that you wash yourself for other reasons than just wanting to manipulate other people. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

I heard people only wash themselves in the hope of getting laid (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Aug 3 2013, 10:17 AM
Post #24

Runner

QUOTE (Elfenlied @ Aug 3 2013, 06:10 AM) *
I heard people only wash themselves in the hope of getting laid (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

and that too could be manipulation....though I think they will need far more help than a bath at that stage. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

as for cyber I like the sense enhancing stuff, but it will depend on the campaign.

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Aug 3 2013, 10:50 AM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 53,300

QUOTE (Sendaz @ Aug 3 2013, 06:17 PM) *
and that too could be manipulation....though I think they will need far more help than a bath at that stage. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

as for cyber I like the sense enhancing stuff, but it will depend on the campaign.

The campaign is RL. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Yeah, my GM keeps screwing me over on monetary rewards as well. I am so kicking myself for not going an adept (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 02:00 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.