IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Under what circumstances are Qi Foci worthwhile?
Samoth
post Aug 19 2013, 04:09 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 875

Qi focus is 2x rating in Karma to bind and 3000Y per rating point. Rating must be 4x the adept power point cost to buy (so, Combat Sense 1 costs .5PP, which would require a Force 2 Qi focus). The max focus available at chargen is level 4, or 1PP of powers (though you can have multiple foci).

I'm not seeing any outstanding reasons to use starting money and karma to get one of these, any opinions?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Aug 19 2013, 04:25 PM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

Unless there's some errata talk I'm not aware of, from page 319: "The Force of the focus must be four times the Power Point cost of the power it holds,"

On the question asked, I've never actually made a starting character with a focus of any kind.

+Quote Post
Samoth
post Aug 19 2013, 04:34 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Sorry, that was a typo on my end.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Aug 19 2013, 04:52 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (Samoth @ Aug 19 2013, 12:09 PM) *
Qi focus is 2x rating in Karma to bind and 3000Y per rating point. Rating must be 4x the adept power point cost to buy (so, Combat Sense 1 costs .5PP, which would require a Force 2 Qi focus). The max focus available at chargen is level 4, or 1PP of powers (though you can have multiple foci).

I'm not seeing any outstanding reasons to use starting money and karma to get one of these, any opinions?

well, it's 13 karma to get your first initiation. it's 8 karma and 12,000 nuyen to get a bonus power point from a qi focus. more interestingly, you can have multiples and turn them off and on as you feel necessary, which means you can actually pick up utility powers without feeling like you're missing out on getting your core set of powers.

worth it in chargen? maybe, maybe not. personally, i suspect you probably don't have much better to do with the karma or money in many cases, but that will depend on the specific adept in question.

but it definitely has strong potential to be a worthwhile investment, and it does mean you can customize your powers for specific occasions by turning a focus on or off as needed if you have multiple focuses (and aren't willing to risk focus addiction, that is).

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 19 2013, 05:34 PM
Post #5

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

It is potentially useful, to be sure. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Slide
post Aug 19 2013, 06:15 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 127,215

Having multiples might be a small issue with the way that the addiction (as I read it) works. That if in the time period of x weeks you use foci adding up to above your magic rating you need to make an addiciton roll. Its a small threshold but still possible to fail.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 19 2013, 08:59 PM
Post #7

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Slide @ Aug 19 2013, 12:15 PM) *
Having multiples might be a small issue with the way that the addiction (as I read it) works. That if in the time period of x weeks you use foci adding up to above your magic rating you need to make an addiciton roll. Its a small threshold but still possible to fail.

I see that as being Simultaneous Useage.

+Quote Post
Slide
post Aug 19 2013, 09:06 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 19 2013, 04:59 PM) *
I see that as being Simultaneous Useage.

Except it's "total Force of all active foci" Not the highest number force used at anyone time.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Aug 19 2013, 09:21 PM
Post #9

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

You can use multiple small qi foci to gain access to lots of different powers. For example, you can have one with Enhanced Accuracy for one skill, another for a different skill, etc. Technically, you can stack the same power, so you can get Increased Reflexes 3 for very cheap. (That last one should be errata'd, however. It's a dirty trick.)

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Aug 19 2013, 09:26 PM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 7,216

Each qi focus is specific to a single adept power at a specific level.

I do not see it saying anywhere that you could stack this, unless you are saying because it does not specifically say you can't but then you are falling under the description of cheesemonkey. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

But I suppose it should be errata'd just to make it clearer.

+Quote Post
Samoth
post Aug 19 2013, 09:28 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (Sendaz @ Aug 19 2013, 10:26 PM) *
Each qi focus is specific to a single adept power at a specific level.

I do not see it saying anywhere that you could stack this, unless you are saying because it does not specifically say you can't but then you are falling under the description of cheesemonkey. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

But I suppose it should be errata'd just to make it clearer.

One of the examples notes you can buy additional levels of a power you know one level of using foci. Example, you have Increased Reflexes 1, you can buy levels 2 and 3 as individual foci to modify that...apparently.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 19 2013, 09:35 PM
Post #12

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Slide @ Aug 19 2013, 03:06 PM) *
Except it's "total Force of all active foci" Not the highest number force used at anyone time.

Active at one time, not active across the week. Otherwise all mages using foci will be addicted.

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Aug 19 2013, 09:38 PM
Post #13

Runner

QUOTE (Samoth @ Aug 19 2013, 04:28 PM) *
One of the examples notes you can buy additional levels of a power you know one level of using foci. Example, you have Increased Reflexes 1, you can buy levels 2 and 3 as individual foci to modify that...apparently.

Yes, that's fine, but it sounded like they were implying one could buy multiple level 1's to stack up to a 3.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Aug 19 2013, 09:40 PM
Post #14

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

QUOTE (Sendaz @ Aug 19 2013, 02:38 PM) *
Yes, that's fine, but it sounded like they were implying one could buy multiple level 1's to stack up to a 3.

No, because Increased reflexes 1 costs 1.5 PP, outside of what a starting Qi Focus can hold. You can buy multiple level 4's, presuming you have Level 1, though it is cheesy and should be fixed.

+Quote Post
Voran
post Aug 19 2013, 10:01 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 6,099

Makes ya wonder how many IEs and Dwaaaaagons are addicted to their foci.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 19 2013, 10:07 PM
Post #16

Prime Runner Ascendant

Focus Addiction, Just another horrible implementation in a sea of horrible implementations.

+Quote Post
Voran
post Aug 19 2013, 10:12 PM
Post #17

Running Target

heh I know, by the rules you'd think more awakened types go all Gollum on a superfrequent basis.

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Aug 19 2013, 10:15 PM
Post #18

Runner

You will find what works for PC's doesn't always work the same for NPC's, especially the Named ones.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 19 2013, 10:22 PM
Post #19

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Sendaz @ Aug 19 2013, 04:15 PM) *
You will find what works for PC's doesn't always work the same for NPC's, especially the Named ones.

Goose and Gander... Sadly, it does not always apply. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

+Quote Post
Slide
post Aug 20 2013, 04:04 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 19 2013, 05:35 PM) *
Active at one time, not active across the week. Otherwise all mages using foci will be addicted.

I think that's the point. It throws a soft cap at how many foci you use and how often. If you have a problem with that you are probably letting your awakened use too many foci. As much as everyone seems to think that tech characters got the shaft, I'm surprised people are resistant to ways to reign in magic characters. Besides when looking at how addicted an alcoholic is you look at how much booze he drinks across a long period of time, not just on one binge.

+Quote Post
Voran
post Aug 20 2013, 06:26 AM
Post #21

Running Target

Addiction rules are funny. One would think there should be addiction rules for "Shooting people" and "Blowing shit up."

+Quote Post
Slide
post Aug 20 2013, 06:28 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

QUOTE (Voran @ Aug 20 2013, 02:26 AM) *
Addiction rules are funny. One would think there should be addiction rules for "Shooting people" and "Blowing shit up."

That would imply that serial killers and arsonist aren't real in SR.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 20 2013, 01:16 PM
Post #23

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Slide @ Aug 19 2013, 09:04 PM) *
I think that's the point. It throws a soft cap at how many foci you use and how often. If you have a problem with that you are probably letting your awakened use too many foci. As much as everyone seems to think that tech characters got the shaft, I'm surprised people are resistant to ways to reign in magic characters. Besides when looking at how addicted an alcoholic is you look at how much booze he drinks across a long period of time, not just on one binge.

See, it doesn't. If you assume additive rather than simultaneous use, then that mage who gets in 2-3 separate fights in a week will likely be addicted, from his Force 4 Power Focus that he used 3 or 4 times to cast his spells. And that is just crap. And there would never be a reason to have more than a single focus ever, becasue even that one will addict you in short order. Use a Rating 2 Sustaining Focus for your Increased Willpower, just on GP and used every day, will have you exceeding your limit, and you will be addicted. I have no issues with the Mage bopping around with Foci in the Force 12-15 range (total) having to worry about their addiction. But when it is one or two minor Force Sustaining Foci, I have issues with it. After all, you are only allowed to have up to your Logic in Active Foci at a time. Which is already a pretty good limit, in my opinion.

+Quote Post
Slide
post Aug 20 2013, 02:48 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

You miss understand what I'm saying. It's the total of all the seperate foci u use. Power is addictive.

+Quote Post
Samoth
post Aug 20 2013, 03:29 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Someone on the other board said that using Attribute Boost level 1 in a level 1 Qi Focus is a pretty good idea, and I'm not sure he's wrong. Assuming 6 magic, 7 die will average 2 hits (assuming TN 5? It doesn't say) which is very efficient power use (oh and you have to resist 1s drain...ouch). Of course, at .25PP per level it's not hard to fit this into your build without paying for a foci anyway.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 09:32 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.