Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Grappling & Spellcasting
yesferatu
post Aug 29 2013, 04:36 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,916

So I was going over the grapple rules and I can't seem to figure out magicians can still cast spells or conjure while immobilized.
"Otherwise the defender remains subdued and cannot take any actions requiring physical movement."
Does casting a spell constitute "physical movement"?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Aug 29 2013, 04:49 PM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

In SR4, yes, provided the spellcaster in question took a Gesture Geas then physical movement is required. Otherwise it does not.

In SR5, no, spellcasting requires no physical movement.

Well, no movement except for what might be necessary to touch the target with the appropriate spell. Grappling a magician that knows the Shatter spell is a very risky proposition.

+Quote Post
DMiller
post Aug 30 2013, 12:41 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 18,343

Or any of the elemental aura (SR4) spells... Ouch.

Seems they removed them in SR5, at least until a magic splat book comes out. *fingers crossed*

+Quote Post
RHat
post Aug 30 2013, 05:36 AM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 76,875

QUOTE (SpellBinder @ Aug 29 2013, 09:49 AM) *
In SR4, yes, provided the spellcaster in question took a Gesture Geas then physical movement is required. Otherwise it does not.

And even then, the spellcaster can violate the geas and then be forced to deal with the involved penalties.

+Quote Post
Shemhazai
post Aug 30 2013, 10:29 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,835

The Centering metamagic in SR5 needs some activity, and that activity might require your hands to be free. Making arcane gestures, for example.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 30 2013, 02:31 PM
Post #6

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Shemhazai @ Aug 30 2013, 03:29 AM) *
The Centering metamagic in SR5 needs some activity, and that activity might require your hands to be free. Making arcane gestures, for example.

Thought it required some significant action (like in SR4A), though it did not have to be physical. Is that not the case in SR5? I know that in SR4A, your Centering could be something as simple as Casting in Latin, which requires no physical movement whatsoever, but does require your casting to be Verbal.

QUOTE (SR4A, Centering Metamagic)
Centering techniques include acts such as chanting in Latin, dancing, making arcane gestures, and so on.

+Quote Post
Jack VII
post Aug 30 2013, 03:27 PM
Post #7

Skillwire Savant

Member No.: 88,139

Centering appears to be pretty much the same (I think some of the art is from 2nd or 3rd edition in that section), at least flavor wise. You can chant, although I think that is why Shemhazai said "might" require.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 30 2013, 03:43 PM
Post #8

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Jack VII @ Aug 30 2013, 08:27 AM) *
Centering appears to be pretty much the same (I think some of the art is from 2nd or 3rd edition in that section), at least flavor wise. You can chant, although I think that is why Shemhazai said "might" require.

Ahh, missed that, even though I copied it. Reading with a Glitch, apparently. *sigh*

+Quote Post
Shemhazai
post Aug 30 2013, 03:43 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Yep. But once it's chosen, I don't think it can be changed. I'd rather be able to get the drain benefit while staying quiet.

+Quote Post
Jack VII
post Aug 30 2013, 03:44 PM
Post #10

Skillwire Savant

I always liked the guys who tried to take Zen Archery as their Centering skill, trying to combine a Take Aim action/Archery/and Magic thinking no one would be like GTFO.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 30 2013, 03:46 PM
Post #11

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Shemhazai @ Aug 30 2013, 08:43 AM) *
Yep. But once it's chosen, I don't think it can be changed. I'd rather be able to get the drain benefit while staying quiet.

You could always take the Metamagic Twice, with different Centering Techniques. Obviously they would not stack benefits, but it would give you some options. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 30 2013, 03:47 PM
Post #12

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Jack VII @ Aug 30 2013, 08:44 AM) *
I always liked the guys who tried to take Zen Archery as their Centering skill, trying to combine a Take Aim action/Archery/and Magic thinking no one would be like GTFO.

You can do that (what a waste)... Just do not expect to shoot an arrow AND cast spells at the same time. They are exclusive actions, after all. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
And they would not stack... Take aim and Shoot your arrow (and get no spell), or Center with your skill (You cannot take aim unfortunately, since aiming with spells is generally not effective) and use your spell (and get no Arrow). It is a waste to have Zen Archery for your Centering.

+Quote Post
Jack VII
post Aug 30 2013, 03:50 PM
Post #13

Skillwire Savant

Right, I'm just laughing about people who tried to rationalize it out for "versimilitude" or "realism"

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 30 2013, 04:15 PM
Post #14

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Jack VII @ Aug 30 2013, 08:50 AM) *
Right, I'm just laughing about people who tried to rationalize it out for "versimilitude" or "realism"

Heh... Indeed... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
I like Kata or Chanting in Latin, depending upon character. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Dolanar
post Aug 30 2013, 05:37 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 53,066

Actually my main character's Adept Centering technique was taking a deep breath

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 30 2013, 05:59 PM
Post #16

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Dolanar @ Aug 30 2013, 10:37 AM) *
Actually my main character's Adept Centering technique was taking a deep breath

A Centering Breath, so to speak... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Shemhazai
post Aug 30 2013, 06:12 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 30 2013, 10:46 AM) *
You could always take the Metamagic Twice, with different Centering Techniques. Obviously they would not stack benefits, but it would give you some options. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I never thought of that. You're a genius.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 30 2013, 08:37 PM
Post #18

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Shemhazai @ Aug 30 2013, 11:12 AM) *
I never thought of that. You're a genius.

One of many ways in which I keep Ares Macrotechnology functioning. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Voran
post Aug 31 2013, 12:27 AM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 6,099

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 30 2013, 10:43 AM) *
Ahh, missed that, even though I copied it. Reading with a Glitch, apparently. *sigh*

Was your wireless enabled?

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 31 2013, 02:14 AM
Post #20

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Voran @ Aug 30 2013, 05:27 PM) *
Was your wireless enabled?

Nope... Throwback all the way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
Shinobi Killfist
post Aug 31 2013, 02:57 AM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 5,872

Meh I'm not so sure on being able to case a spell while grappled. While concentration is the only thing required traditions may require chanting and gesturing. Both page 279 perceiving magic and 280 sorcery talk about gestures being part of it. I suspect outside the psychic tradition some level of gestures come with the tradition and can be interrupted by a grapple. I'd put it in the GM call category.

+Quote Post
RHat
post Aug 31 2013, 06:50 AM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Member No.: 76,875

QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Aug 30 2013, 07:57 PM) *
Meh I'm not so sure on being able to case a spell while grappled. While concentration is the only thing required traditions may require chanting and gesturing. Both page 279 perceiving magic and 280 sorcery talk about gestures being part of it. I suspect outside the psychic tradition some level of gestures come with the tradition and can be interrupted by a grapple. I'd put it in the GM call category.

There are no rules requiring any of that, though - as it stands, all of that is there only as RP and Centering - and accordingly, a player would be well within their rights to be pretty upset with that call, because it has basically no support or precedent.

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Aug 31 2013, 07:34 AM
Post #23

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,216

Plus consider are the gestures you are speaking of involuntary or required? It may be a subconscious action to point at someone you are blasting, but the question becomes is it actually required. If not, then grappling probably won't interrupt it.

MetaHumans have tons of little tells, tics and other quirks they do everyday and are often without being aware of it, something any seasoned poker player will use to their advantage, but these do not necessarily mean they are directly connected in the sense that disrupting the tell disrupts the associated action.

+Quote Post
Shemhazai
post Aug 31 2013, 02:10 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (Shinobi Killfist @ Aug 30 2013, 09:57 PM) *

Grab the mage first.

I'm trying to stunbolt, but he's got me in a full nelson!

+Quote Post
Shinobi Killfist
post Aug 31 2013, 10:00 PM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 5,872

QUOTE (RHat @ Aug 31 2013, 01:50 AM) *
There are no rules requiring any of that, though - as it stands, all of that is there only as RP and Centering - and accordingly, a player would be well within their rights to be pretty upset with that call, because it has basically no support or precedent.

Actually I just sited two rules. Both perception of magic and sorcery state there are gestures in most cases. A player would not be well within their rights to be upset because a GM interpreted those passages as requiring enough in the way of gestures to be stopped by a grapple. Unless something is specific in the rules, that is exactly what a GM is for interpreting those grey areas. And since it never says these gestures can be ignored by the mage whenever he wants or they are such small gestures they can not be restrained by things like grapples it is pretty much up to the GM to decide.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:28 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.