Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Encumberance, whatever you do, don't move the sofa
Nerbert
post Apr 30 2004, 05:08 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,280

Is it me, or are the encumberance rules on pg 274 of SR3 really punishing? The way I'm reading it, a character with STR 2 can carry 10 "kg" without penalty. But if he goes over that, six seconds later he's taking a light stun wound and 18 seconds after that he's fallen unconscious. Now, I have roughly a strength 2, and I can move furniture up the stairs without needing medical attention. Am I reading these rules completely wrong or what?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Apr 30 2004, 05:14 PM
Post #2

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Member No.: 4,715

lol, no, it's just a crap rule.
I think it would be more consistent if carrying too large a load penalized combat pool or quickness tests, similar to layering armor.
And the weight limits are pretty ridiculous.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Apr 30 2004, 05:30 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

You're exactly right. The rules are bullshit, and probably the result of an interesting story involving Mike Mulvihill, 18 bottles of tequila, and the Mexican police.

I'm sure Austere'll pop into this thread and post hi (infinitely more sensible) rules on the subject.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 30 2004, 06:01 PM
Post #4

Manus Celer Dei

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 3,802

But if the rules were more sensible, I wouldn't be able to claim a Strength of at least 5, probably closer to 6 from having been able to tote my school backpack back in High School around without dying!

~J

+Quote Post
Phaeton
post Apr 30 2004, 09:46 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,677

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
But if the rules were more sensible, I wouldn't be able to claim a Strength of at least 5, probably closer to 6 from having been able to tote my school backpack back in High School around without dying!

~J

:rotfl: Welcome to my world. And I can't say my backpack helped my scholiosis(sp?)...

+Quote Post
Capt. Dave
post Apr 30 2004, 09:50 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,183

It's pretty much an optional rule to be used if PCs are carrying an unfeasible amount of equipment.

+Quote Post
Dog
post Apr 30 2004, 09:50 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,025

I'd reply to this topic, but I pulled a muscle trying to push my keyboard into place...

+Quote Post
D.Generate
post Apr 30 2004, 10:53 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,203

I use my "reallity" rule for carrying things. Especially since most of hte weights of things are messed up in the book anways. I mean almost a kilo for a spare clip? that must be one big fragging clip. Anyways I tossed out the Encumb. rules a long long time ago. Just use common sense in what a person can carry. Cause sure a person with an 8 strength could carry a rotoray assault cannon butthat don't mean that they can. that would be like one person carrying a couch ot can be done if they are strong enough but still crazy difficult to move with it no matter how "light" it feels.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 30 2004, 11:02 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (Arethusa)
I'm sure Austere'll pop into this thread and post hi (infinitely more sensible) rules on the subject.

I wouldn't've, but I guess I have to now. :D

[Edit]Hmm, was it the old forum that underlined smileys with links?[/Edit]

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Apr 30 2004, 11:30 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

Uh.... your backpack massed FIFTY KILOGRAMS?? That's fragging 110 pounds!

Note the discontinuity in the rules. You can carry up to (Str × 5) kg "without appreciable effect". But the rules don't actually provide any penalties until you exceed (Str × 10) kg. I'm not sure what happens if you try to carry more than (Str × 5) kg but less than (Str × 10) kg. Maybe you collapse into a singularity and the universe is sucked into the resulting black hole.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post Apr 30 2004, 11:38 PM
Post #11

Manus Celer Dei

Ah. Ok, my backpack was closer to 27 kilograms. Mmm, singularities...

~J

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post May 1 2004, 12:11 AM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Seriously, what the hell were you lugging around? That's 2' x 1.5' x 1' of hardcover books. A duffel bag full of books might just get that heavy if it's well stacked.

The total weight of the "full package" of the Finnish Defense Forces, which includes all combat gear of the average infantryman as well as a large backpack with camping gear is nominally ~26kg.

+Quote Post
draco aardvark
post May 1 2004, 12:31 AM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 6,284

In D&D there's maximum dexterity (quickness) and an penalty to certain skills when you go over your light load - I like the reduction of the combat pool though, that sounds more apt.

Where'd they come up with these numbers? My sister weighs enough that I should pass out from the load, so much for the piggyback rides I give her :-)

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post May 1 2004, 12:39 AM
Post #14

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
The total weight of the "full package" of the Finnish Defense Forces, which includes all combat gear of the average infantryman as well as a large backpack with camping gear is nominally ~26kg.

Yeah, well that's all designed to minimize the actual carried weight. I'm fully convinced that school books are designed the exact opposite way: to cram as much weight into them as possible. :P

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post May 1 2004, 12:45 AM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,158

And at 26kg, it's 1kg over the weight a Strength 5 character can safely character. Bring on the Stun damage.

Note the discontinuity in the rules. You can carry up to (Str × 5) kg "without appreciable effect". But the rules don't actually provide any penalties until you exceed (Str × 10) kg. I'm not sure what happens if you try to carry more than (Str × 5) kg but less than (Str × 10) kg. Maybe you collapse into a singularity and the universe is sucked into the resulting black hole.

Err, that's because it's up to those limits. Hence "up to (STR×5)kg."

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post May 1 2004, 01:01 AM
Post #16

Running Target

QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime)
And at 26kg, it's 1kg over the weight a Strength 5 character can safely character.  Bring on the Stun damage.

No, it's not. It's 1kg over the weight that a Strength 5 character can carry "without appreciable effect". However, the Stun damage does not start occurring until '[t]wice that load (Strength × 10 kg)". A Str 5 character can carry up to 50 kg without actually suffering any penalty. I'm not sure what "appreciable effect" applies between (Str × 5) kg and (Str × 10) kg, but, whatever it is, it isn't mentioned in the rules.

Err, that's because it's up to those limits. Hence "up to (STR×5)kg."

I can't figure out how this comment is supposed to apply to what I said.

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post May 1 2004, 01:03 AM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Those penalties apply from (STR×5)+0.0000000000000000000000001kg up to (STR×10)kg. It's not from (STR×10)kg and up. It's up to (STR×10)kg from (STR×5)kg.

The context is pretty clear even if the wording isn't. But that's pretty common in the rules.

EDIT: That's why (STR×20kg) is the max, not the lowest end of the max. By your reading, the character could carry 1,000,000kg and still suffer only the Serious wound.

This post has been edited by A Clockwork Lime: May 1 2004, 01:06 AM

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post May 1 2004, 01:21 AM
Post #18

Running Target

Uh.... hmm. You may be right. I still maintain that my interpretation is what the rules actually say, but it does look like yours is what they intended. You're right that there's no actual maximum cap under my interpretation (not that it really matters, because you frickin' die if you try to exceed even the unencumbered limit). The next paragraph makes it clear that Str×20 is intended to be the hard maximum, though.

And here I was thinking that it was broken even with a Str×10 cap before the Stun kicks in. With a Str×5 cap, I'd pass out just from putting my mail on (hasn't happened yet)...

+Quote Post
Zazen
post May 1 2004, 01:21 AM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

Seriously, what the hell were you lugging around? That's 2' x 1.5' x 1' of hardcover books. A duffel bag full of books might just get that heavy if it's well stacked.

You might be able to get to 80 pounds with a large backpack if the books are glossy-type and packed well.

+Quote Post
toturi
post May 1 2004, 01:39 AM
Post #20

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

I lugged about 30kg of stuff to the university everyday... a few plasticky paged(those wierd polymer pages that are sooo glossy) textbooks, a steel setsquare, a steel ruler, a full set of stationary(battle tested, in fact, but that's another story)...

So yeah... you could easily get into the 30-40 kg range.

+Quote Post
broho_pcp
post May 1 2004, 02:38 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,054

I looked at these rules a couple days ago and was annoyed, How will my (S:6) Shapeshifter Tiger character be able to carry his (normal weight, 175lbs.) human friend into battle? (see movie Princess Mononoke for general example)

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post May 1 2004, 03:07 AM
Post #22

Shooting Target

If you think that's bad, consider the fact that a troll -- who is supposed to be insanely strong -- has no chance of lifting itself. Average Strength for a troll is, what, 7? That means the most they could lift is 182kg. A troll of average Body and Strength weighs 225kg.

+Quote Post
Kagetenshi
post May 1 2004, 04:47 AM
Post #23

Manus Celer Dei

Seriously, what the hell were you lugging around?

Three full-sized textbooks (Hardcover, ~450 pages long IIRC), one copy of the Aeneid, one copy of the Illead, one English to Latin dictionary, one workbook-style book, a few random plays or novels depending on what was happening in English at the time, and a stack of notecards.

That's just the backpack. My laptop, the case, the random stuff I lugged around, and the ~500 sheets of paper I had stuffed into it at any given point in time probably added another 5-7 kilos.

~J

+Quote Post
Crazy Elf
post May 1 2004, 06:00 AM
Post #24

Target

Member No.: 338

QUOTE ("A Clockwork Lime")
If you think that's bad, consider the fact that a troll -- who is supposed to be insanely strong -- has no chance of lifting itself. Average Strength for a troll is, what, 7? That means the most they could lift is 182kg. A troll of average Body and Strength weighs 225kg.

Sounds about right to me. The average troll probably couldn't lift itself.

Take, for example, the simple chin up. A lot of people can't do a single chin up, and when you start getting into people who are much taller than normal, or who are simply overweight, the rate of being able to do a single chin up decreases. I've seen a lot of small people, who weight roughly 45kgs, unable to lift their body weight in a chin up.

A troll is fucking huge, and without being very physically active, they're not going to be able to lift their body weight. Period. Your upper body does a lot less work than your lower body, and for most people the arms aren't going to be able to do as much as the legs.

As for the stun ruling, everyone go outside and do some chin ups. See how many you can do before you can't do anymore. Not many, is it? At the very high end of the scale, we're looking at around 20 before you can't do anymore, and that will be done in well under a minute. Perhaps the stun damage is too much, but the time frames for lifting aren't entirely moronic.

QUOTE ("toturi")
So yeah... you could easily get into the 30-40 kg range

Although a lot of people have made this claim, I'll pick on you. Go put 40 killograms worth of cast iron weight into a backpack, then try to put it on and walk around with it. I think you'll all find that it's a lot heavier than you originally thought.

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post May 1 2004, 06:03 AM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Very well, translate "do a pull-up" to "carry your bride over the threshold." An average troll can just barely carry an ork, and carrying a human would leave them breathless within seconds.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:59 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.