Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Encumberance
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Nerbert
Is it me, or are the encumberance rules on pg 274 of SR3 really punishing? The way I'm reading it, a character with STR 2 can carry 10 "kg" without penalty. But if he goes over that, six seconds later he's taking a light stun wound and 18 seconds after that he's fallen unconscious. Now, I have roughly a strength 2, and I can move furniture up the stairs without needing medical attention. Am I reading these rules completely wrong or what?
Moon-Hawk
lol, no, it's just a crap rule.
I think it would be more consistent if carrying too large a load penalized combat pool or quickness tests, similar to layering armor.
And the weight limits are pretty ridiculous.
Arethusa
You're exactly right. The rules are bullshit, and probably the result of an interesting story involving Mike Mulvihill, 18 bottles of tequila, and the Mexican police.

I'm sure Austere'll pop into this thread and post hi (infinitely more sensible) rules on the subject.
Kagetenshi
But if the rules were more sensible, I wouldn't be able to claim a Strength of at least 5, probably closer to 6 from having been able to tote my school backpack back in High School around without dying!

~J
Phaeton
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)
But if the rules were more sensible, I wouldn't be able to claim a Strength of at least 5, probably closer to 6 from having been able to tote my school backpack back in High School around without dying!

~J

rotfl.gif Welcome to my world. And I can't say my backpack helped my scholiosis(sp?)...
Capt. Dave
It's pretty much an optional rule to be used if PCs are carrying an unfeasible amount of equipment.

Dog
I'd reply to this topic, but I pulled a muscle trying to push my keyboard into place...
D.Generate
I use my "reallity" rule for carrying things. Especially since most of hte weights of things are messed up in the book anways. I mean almost a kilo for a spare clip? that must be one big fragging clip. Anyways I tossed out the Encumb. rules a long long time ago. Just use common sense in what a person can carry. Cause sure a person with an 8 strength could carry a rotoray assault cannon butthat don't mean that they can. that would be like one person carrying a couch ot can be done if they are strong enough but still crazy difficult to move with it no matter how "light" it feels.
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (Arethusa)
I'm sure Austere'll pop into this thread and post hi (infinitely more sensible) rules on the subject.

I wouldn't've, but I guess I have to now. biggrin.gif

[Edit]Hmm, was it the old forum that underlined smileys with links?[/Edit]
John Campbell
QUOTE (Kagetenshi)

Uh.... your backpack massed FIFTY KILOGRAMS?? That's fragging 110 pounds!

Note the discontinuity in the rules. You can carry up to (Str × 5) kg "without appreciable effect". But the rules don't actually provide any penalties until you exceed (Str × 10) kg. I'm not sure what happens if you try to carry more than (Str × 5) kg but less than (Str × 10) kg. Maybe you collapse into a singularity and the universe is sucked into the resulting black hole.
Kagetenshi
Ah. Ok, my backpack was closer to 27 kilograms. Mmm, singularities...

~J
Austere Emancipator
Seriously, what the hell were you lugging around? That's 2' x 1.5' x 1' of hardcover books. A duffel bag full of books might just get that heavy if it's well stacked.

The total weight of the "full package" of the Finnish Defense Forces, which includes all combat gear of the average infantryman as well as a large backpack with camping gear is nominally ~26kg.
draco aardvark
In D&D there's maximum dexterity (quickness) and an penalty to certain skills when you go over your light load - I like the reduction of the combat pool though, that sounds more apt.

Where'd they come up with these numbers? My sister weighs enough that I should pass out from the load, so much for the piggyback rides I give her smile.gif
Eyeless Blond
QUOTE (Austere Emancipator)
The total weight of the "full package" of the Finnish Defense Forces, which includes all combat gear of the average infantryman as well as a large backpack with camping gear is nominally ~26kg.

Yeah, well that's all designed to minimize the actual carried weight. I'm fully convinced that school books are designed the exact opposite way: to cram as much weight into them as possible. nyahnyah.gif
A Clockwork Lime
And at 26kg, it's 1kg over the weight a Strength 5 character can safely character. Bring on the Stun damage.

Note the discontinuity in the rules. You can carry up to (Str × 5) kg "without appreciable effect". But the rules don't actually provide any penalties until you exceed (Str × 10) kg. I'm not sure what happens if you try to carry more than (Str × 5) kg but less than (Str × 10) kg. Maybe you collapse into a singularity and the universe is sucked into the resulting black hole.

Err, that's because it's up to those limits. Hence "up to (STR×5)kg."
John Campbell
QUOTE (A Clockwork Lime)
And at 26kg, it's 1kg over the weight a Strength 5 character can safely character.  Bring on the Stun damage.

No, it's not. It's 1kg over the weight that a Strength 5 character can carry "without appreciable effect". However, the Stun damage does not start occurring until '[t]wice that load (Strength × 10 kg)". A Str 5 character can carry up to 50 kg without actually suffering any penalty. I'm not sure what "appreciable effect" applies between (Str × 5) kg and (Str × 10) kg, but, whatever it is, it isn't mentioned in the rules.

Err, that's because it's up to those limits. Hence "up to (STR×5)kg."

I can't figure out how this comment is supposed to apply to what I said.
A Clockwork Lime
Those penalties apply from (STR×5)+0.0000000000000000000000001kg up to (STR×10)kg. It's not from (STR×10)kg and up. It's up to (STR×10)kg from (STR×5)kg.

The context is pretty clear even if the wording isn't. But that's pretty common in the rules.

EDIT: That's why (STR×20kg) is the max, not the lowest end of the max. By your reading, the character could carry 1,000,000kg and still suffer only the Serious wound.
John Campbell
Uh.... hmm. You may be right. I still maintain that my interpretation is what the rules actually say, but it does look like yours is what they intended. You're right that there's no actual maximum cap under my interpretation (not that it really matters, because you frickin' die if you try to exceed even the unencumbered limit). The next paragraph makes it clear that Str×20 is intended to be the hard maximum, though.

And here I was thinking that it was broken even with a Str×10 cap before the Stun kicks in. With a Str×5 cap, I'd pass out just from putting my mail on (hasn't happened yet)...
Zazen
Seriously, what the hell were you lugging around? That's 2' x 1.5' x 1' of hardcover books. A duffel bag full of books might just get that heavy if it's well stacked.

You might be able to get to 80 pounds with a large backpack if the books are glossy-type and packed well.
toturi
I lugged about 30kg of stuff to the university everyday... a few plasticky paged(those wierd polymer pages that are sooo glossy) textbooks, a steel setsquare, a steel ruler, a full set of stationary(battle tested, in fact, but that's another story)...

So yeah... you could easily get into the 30-40 kg range.
broho_pcp
I looked at these rules a couple days ago and was annoyed, How will my (S:6) Shapeshifter Tiger character be able to carry his (normal weight, 175lbs.) human friend into battle? (see movie Princess Mononoke for general example)
A Clockwork Lime
If you think that's bad, consider the fact that a troll -- who is supposed to be insanely strong -- has no chance of lifting itself. Average Strength for a troll is, what, 7? That means the most they could lift is 182kg. A troll of average Body and Strength weighs 225kg.
Kagetenshi
Seriously, what the hell were you lugging around?

Three full-sized textbooks (Hardcover, ~450 pages long IIRC), one copy of the Aeneid, one copy of the Illead, one English to Latin dictionary, one workbook-style book, a few random plays or novels depending on what was happening in English at the time, and a stack of notecards.

That's just the backpack. My laptop, the case, the random stuff I lugged around, and the ~500 sheets of paper I had stuffed into it at any given point in time probably added another 5-7 kilos.

~J
Crazy Elf
QUOTE ("A Clockwork Lime")
If you think that's bad, consider the fact that a troll -- who is supposed to be insanely strong -- has no chance of lifting itself. Average Strength for a troll is, what, 7? That means the most they could lift is 182kg. A troll of average Body and Strength weighs 225kg.

Sounds about right to me. The average troll probably couldn't lift itself.

Take, for example, the simple chin up. A lot of people can't do a single chin up, and when you start getting into people who are much taller than normal, or who are simply overweight, the rate of being able to do a single chin up decreases. I've seen a lot of small people, who weight roughly 45kgs, unable to lift their body weight in a chin up.

A troll is fucking huge, and without being very physically active, they're not going to be able to lift their body weight. Period. Your upper body does a lot less work than your lower body, and for most people the arms aren't going to be able to do as much as the legs.

As for the stun ruling, everyone go outside and do some chin ups. See how many you can do before you can't do anymore. Not many, is it? At the very high end of the scale, we're looking at around 20 before you can't do anymore, and that will be done in well under a minute. Perhaps the stun damage is too much, but the time frames for lifting aren't entirely moronic.

QUOTE ("toturi")
So yeah... you could easily get into the 30-40 kg range

Although a lot of people have made this claim, I'll pick on you. Go put 40 killograms worth of cast iron weight into a backpack, then try to put it on and walk around with it. I think you'll all find that it's a lot heavier than you originally thought.
A Clockwork Lime
Very well, translate "do a pull-up" to "carry your bride over the threshold." An average troll can just barely carry an ork, and carrying a human would leave them breathless within seconds.
toturi
QUOTE (Crazy Elf)
QUOTE ("toturi")
So yeah... you could easily get into the 30-40 kg range

Although a lot of people have made this claim, I'll pick on you. Go put 40 killograms worth of cast iron weight into a backpack, then try to put it on and walk around with it. I think you'll all find that it's a lot heavier than you originally thought.

I don't have cast iron handy, but I did carry around a GPMG, a full load of 7.62 belt of ammo, my fullpack, helmet, webbing with 2 full bottles of water which in total weighed at 45-50kg (depending if I cheated and left things out of my fullpack) for 2 whole f**king years. So I do know how much 40kg should feel like. Have fun, little boy.
John Campbell
QUOTE (Crazy Elf)

I used to fight in 40kg of armor... steel breastplate, vambraces, and greaves over a mail hauberk, with helm, broadsword, and a big-ass wooden war shield. I have a very good idea of how much that weighs. That was back when I was first fighting, too, and I was a scrawny geek fresh out of college. In SR terms, my Strength was certainly not higher than 3, and 2 would probably be more accurate. I was not, by any stretch of the imagination, anywhere near the Str 8 that I would've needed to wear that armor all day, as I did on a couple of occasions. (One event, I fought for six hours straight. Quit when I could no longer raise my sword above my waist. I could barely move the next morning... but under SR rules, I wouldn't have been able to do it at all, because I would've passed out after about 10 seconds.)
Austere Emancipator
QUOTE (John Campbell)
I used to fight in 40kg of armor.

I don't get it. In the Medieval Shadowrun threads, all the SCAdians went on about how none of the armors weighed much over 20kg. Now why the heck would someone carry 40kg, if a full suit of plate mail weighed under 20kg?

I really don't get this whole being proud about how much dead weight you've lugged around thing. I've never carried more than 7kg to school or university in my life. Even in the military, it was very rare to have anywhere near 40kg of stuff on me -- we almost never had things that we couldn't take with us and march 20 miles with in 12 hours without too much trouble. Only the airborne, "rangers" and those stuck with a sadistic and stupid CO had to carry that much.
toturi
[I really don't get this whole being proud about how much dead weight you've lugged around thing. I've never carried more than 7kg to school or university in my life. Even in the military, it was very rare to have anywhere near 40kg of stuff on me -- we almost never had things that we couldn't take with us and march 20 miles with in 12 hours without too much trouble. Only the airborne, "rangers" and those stuck with a sadistic and stupid CO had to carry that much.

I didn't enjoy it or liked it if that's what you mean, but I still had to do it.
mfb
pride in lugging around dead weight, while present, isn't the point of those posts. the point of those posts is to show how wrong the SR encumbrance rules are.
Austere Emancipator
That point could've been made far better. And I would've agreed with it too, which is why I've got house rules for encumbrance, which I already posted above.
mfb
not to be left out, "me too" on the whole carrying-more-than-40kg-and-still-getting-the-job-done-for-hours-on-end. hey, if you can't brag on an online forum, where can you brag?
Austere Emancipator
In hell.
mfb
jealousy is a stinky cologne!
Austere Emancipator
Jealousy is a completely different animal than the hatred of bragging or any elevation of self.
mfb
*shrug* self-esteem is a basic human need. bragging fills that need. i could do with less bragging in the world, but i'd hate to live in a world that lacked it completely.
GreatChicken
Even if that isn't the case, whoever has heard of someone simply fainting dead away from carrying too much (or for that matter, even 1kg too much)? Plus, Dwarves, for all their bonus in body, can't always carry as much as humans (it's not a 'weight' issue, it's a 'bulk' issue), and you can also get exhausted from carrying stuff that you can handle for extended periods (As an experiment, take a 2kg bar-bell and hold it outstretched for as long as you can. How long can you keep it up?).

The maximum penalty for overshooting your weight limit shoud merely be a penalty in react....and weight limits should be completely left to the GM.
Austere Emancipator
The problem with having no solid rules for encumbrance is that it encourages everybody to pack as much crap on as they can, which means all the crap that they own. Having strict limits is a bit better -- people will still pack as much crap as they can up to a certain point, but at least they won't carry 10 guns and a thousand rounds for each. A sliding scale would be best, but that's extremely hard to accomplish in a pen&paper RPG.

self-esteem is a basic human need.

There are several "basic human need"s that we can do without.
I Eat Time
I think the main problem with the encumberance rules is that it's too little to be able to carry for equipment that weighs too much. Too many different things in SR just weigh too much on paper, so if a character's carrying these things, he's going to feel shortchanged.

Austere, a sliding scale could be worked out here on the forums. The good thing about us is that we can all usually playtest new rules and come back with how good or bad they are. So if you have some suggestions to start it off, by all means.

GreatChicken, IIRC Dwarves have the same upper body proportions as humans, it's just their legs are shorter. Bulk comes into issue if you can't wrap your arms firmly around something, or you can't carry it with any balance and tip over. Dwarves, being shorter, are less prone to tip over, and having the same reach as humans, aren't affected by bulky things that any other race could carry. Besides trolls of course. Basically, if bulk penalties apply, they'd have to apply to humans and elves too.
Austere Emancipator
When I said "extremely hard", I meant it. smile.gif The only way SR could handle something like that is using a mathematic function to determine the amount of time in which a character gets another point of Stun/modifier for something.

I'm personally against most mathematical functions in p&p RPGs, so I won't be using anything of the sort. If you wanted to, you'd probably have to come up with rules for fatigue first, and then modify those rules based on Weight Carried vs Carry Capacity. (Body x 20) minutes of work to 1 box of Stun, divided by (Weight/STRx2, min 1), that sort of thing.
I Eat Time
Ok, I'll suggest something. If it's already been suggested, my apologies.

It's obvious that your carry load has more to do with Strength and less to do with Body. Hence why deadlifting is only a function (gasp!) of Strength. Body's the obvious attribute for stamina in carrying the load, so they're dead on there. I just don't like the way Fatigue works, and I think all of you agree.

The Standard Kilo IIRC is around 2.2 Pounds. So a character with Strength 5 (Body 5) can carry 25 Kilos before he starts to get exhausted by it. Which is reasonable, I think. Fifty-something pounds can wear you out if you walk with it for extended periods of time. The main thing is extended periods of time, which brings us to the first problem. A combat turn is around 3 seconds, if I'm right. So after 15 seconds, the character starts taking the 'phantom wounds'. 30 seconds after that, he falls unconscious. I think we all let out a resounding WTF, mate?

Secondly, there's a problem with the Shadowrun kilo, which apparently varies, depending on the object, between .5 Pounds and 4 Pounds. Usually, it's the former, and stuff weighs a lot more in SR, which is unfair given the sliding scale for encumberance.

So how 'bout this. I propose the sliding scale ranges as follows (this is where I'm kinda unjustified, so revision is requested):

0-STRx10-STRx15-STRx20

From 0-STRx10, nothing happens. Your character may break a sweat or have achy legs the next day towards the upper end of the scale, but it's nothing exhausting, or no pain that a bottle of aspirin and a catchy song won't cure.

STRx10 - STRx15, the character starts getting Encumbered. Every BODx5 minutes, they take a Light Wound in phantom damage. If they get ten boxes of this, provided they're not dehydrated or any other extremely poor conditions, they don't fall unconscious. Simply, their legs refuse to move, they fall down, and have to take a forced rest. If this happens, the boxes go away at a rate of one every ten minutes, though if you've gotten over six boxes, it won't sink below two boxes until you get a night's rest.

Additionally, your run and walk are halved.

STRx15 - STRx20, the character is starting to get absolutely strained. If this is all in normal equipment, there's a base +2 modifier to all actions involving movement, because you're just too loaded down to do anything. Either way, every BOD minutes, add a box of Light Wound phantom damage. This damage takes 30 minutes to recover a box, and if it goes to six boxes or above, the first six boxes won't recover until a full night's rest in a comfortable place (no bed of rocks here, torn muscles and such). Movement's quartered, and the character's absolutely exhausted.

Comments?
Austere Emancipator
That's not a sliding scale. That's just 3 separate weight brackets. Doing something like that is extremely simple, and I already linked to my version of it earlier.

If problems arise largely because of the fucked up weights of items in Shadowrun, then perhaps those should be fixed first. Just the idea that Average Joe who's not in particularly good shape can carry 30kg of stuff endlessly in any situation without any negative modifiers to anything sounds wrong.
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (I Eat Time)
GreatChicken, IIRC Dwarves have the same upper body proportions as humans, it's just their legs are shorter. Bulk comes into issue if you can't wrap your arms firmly around something, or you can't carry it with any balance and tip over. Dwarves, being shorter, are less prone to tip over, and having the same reach as humans, aren't affected by bulky things that any other race could carry. Besides trolls of course. Basically, if bulk penalties apply, they'd have to apply to humans and elves too.

That's untrue. If you're carrying something that happens to be, say, three feet tall, it matters a lot whether that's two feet off the ground when you're holding it or if it's actually dragging on the ground.

~J
I Eat Time
That's not a sliding scale. That's just 3 separate weight brackets.

Do you mean a closed-form equation then? No wonder you said it'd be hard.
Arethusa
Well, for it to be dynamically scalable, it would have to be an equation, and probably one far too complex to be practical in terms of playability, even if it is something most of us can do easily enough in our heads.
John Campbell
QUOTE (John Campbell)
I used to fight in 40kg of armor.

I don't get it. In the Medieval Shadowrun threads, all the SCAdians went on about how none of the armors weighed much over 20kg. Now why the heck would someone carry 40kg, if a full suit of plate mail weighed under 20kg?

That particular armor, the kit I'm wearing here (I'm the one with the interesting triangular shield) was a sort of hybrid armor, partial plate over a full mail hauberk. They did have armor like it in period... transitional form between mail and the later full plate. Like many transitional forms, it kinda sucked... it was extremely heavy, and didn't provide much extra protection for the weight. In period, they did the same thing I eventually did... added more plate and ditched the now-unnecessary mail completely. They also wouldn't have been using as much mail and as much plate as I had... by the time the plate got that complete, they'd stopped using full hauberks and were just wearing skirts and other small pieces of mail to cover the areas that the plate didn't, there being no point in putting mail under the plate, like I had.

The reason they used it in period was because they hadn't yet developed the armoring skills to make plate that would effectively cover certain vital areas, but did want the plate reinforcing over the more easily armored bits. The reason that I used it was because, when I first started fighting, it was what I had or could easily build that would make me list-legal so I could get out on the field (and that really comes down to the same issue... I didn't have the armoring skills to make better). I didn't use it for very long... less than a year. I eventually built a set of plate cuisses, which let me lose the mail, and cut my armor weight about in half - down to 20kg, for the full kit - while providing more protection.

I used the plate without the mail for about eight years before I finally got fed up with the knees jamming when I crouched and similar issues, and replaced it with my current armor (sadly, I'm most recognizable there by the ugly white plastic knees... I really need to replace those)... which is the mail hauberk (same one, though I gave it a major overhaul) back again, but instead of the almost-full plate over it, I'm using about a quarter-kilo of high-impact plastic underneath to provide the necessary rigid protection to make it legal (kingdom armor requirements have changed since I started, too, which lets me get away with less rigid armor). It's heavier - about 25kg - and less protective than my old kit, but it's a lot closer to what my early Saxon persona would've actually been wearing (just need to replace the plastic knees and plate vambraces with leather), and stlll nowhere near the weight of my first armor.

But, anyway, 20kg is fairly typical for good armor (as opposed to the padded tunic, bit of leather, and maybe a helmet if you're lucky that a lot of people settled for), 30kg is a bit on the heavy side, but not excessively so. 40kg is extremely heavy for real combat armor, though specialized tournament armor could exceed that. Some of the late period jousting armor was in the 50-60kg range, but you really couldn't do anything but sit on a horse and move your lance back and forth a bit with that stuff on. It included plates that they bolted on after you climbed onto the horse, sometimes spring-loaded so they'd fly off dramatically when hit, and generally would've gotten you killed in about ten seconds flat on a real battlefield.

I really don't get this whole being proud about how much dead weight you've lugged around thing.

That's not at all the point I was trying to make. Almost the opposite, in fact. My point wasn't that I was ooh strong and could carry excessive amounts of weight around, it was that even ordinary people - using myself as a scrawny teenager as an example of someone rather on the weak side - should be able to carry radically more than SR rules allow for without immediately collapsing into unconsciousness.

That's not to say that they should be able to do it without ill effect. Carrying around half my body weight in armor was exhausting... but it was exhausting over a matter of hours, not of minutes or seconds(!). It also significantly impacted my speed and agility, and the SR rules only address the former half of that... unless you count the wound penalties from being crushed into unconsciousness by 10kg of equipment as an agility penalty.
Zazen
QUOTE (John Campbell)
That particular armor, the kit I'm wearing here (I'm the one with the interesting triangular shield)

That's a really cool shield.
RangerJoe
Very well, translate "do a pull-up" to "carry your bride over the threshold." An average troll can just barely carry an ork, and carrying a human would leave them breathless within seconds.

But as for carrying the bride over the threshold, love can do that anyway....
Herald of Verjigorm
Zazen took the words right off my keyboard (lousy thiefing Zazen)
Daishi
We're currently running an extended infantry campaign in which we have to hump all our gear everywhere we go for likely a few months straight. Encumbrance is a critical rule in this scenario. The stock SR rules are whacked. So we went with the following modifications.

From 0 to STRx5 kg, the character suffers no encumbrance.
From STRx5 to STRx10 kg, the characters suffers an encumbrance modifier equivalent to a light wound. Pain tolerance does not negate.
From STRx10 to STRx15 kg, the modifier is equivalent to moderate wound.
From STRx15 to STRx20 kg, the modifier is equivalent to a serious wound.
A character cannot haul over STRx20 kg.

These modifiers simply reflect how a heavy load can slow a guy down during combat situations. Quick-release rucksacks are a really good idea when the bullets start flying.

When engaged in extended physical activity (eg. hiking), the character takes a stun wound equivalent to his encumbrance level ever hour. This effect can be avoided by taking 10 minute rests every hour.

I didn't bother throwing in modifiers for body, but they would be reasonable. I just wanted to keep it simple. One might change per hour to BODx10 minutes quite reasonably, but I skipped that just to make it easier for team logistics.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012