Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Encumberance
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Pages: 1, 2
Kagetenshi
QUOTE (Zazen)
QUOTE (John Campbell @ May 1 2004, 04:51 PM)
That particular armor, the kit I'm wearing here (I'm the one with the interesting triangular shield)

That's a really cool shield.

Yes. That shield rocks. On many levels.

~J
A Clockwork Lime
That's sort of what we do, too, though the numbers are in increments of [BOD×(STR+X)]kg where X is the same number as the canon rules.

For example, say you have an average Human (Body 3, Strength 3). He can carry up to 24kg without any noticable effect. Anything over 24kg and up to 39kg causes the equivalence of a permanent Light wound for the duration of the encumbrance. From 39kg to 54kg causes a Moderate wound, and 54kg to 69kg causes a Serious wound. The character wouldn't be able to carry anything over 69kg more than a step or two (assuming he succeeded in lifting it).

The numbers aren't much different from the core rules until you start getting into the obscenely built or strong characters. And for my personal suspension of disbelief, that's the way it should be, especially in a game of this nature. A troll should almost never have a problem carrying stuff around; they're supposed to be ungodly strong, and I don't have a problem with a powerful troll at their RML max carrying up to 330kg of weight (though anything over 165kg causes a virtual wound). At least with these rules, a troll can carry another troll. smile.gif

Fatigue occurs as per the standard rules.
RedmondLarry
We all know that game companies will survive one more year if new books are published that give players a new skill, a new power, or simply better equipment than they had with the old books.

I think a character should be able to carry as much weight as the total weight of all the player's Shadowrun books, after eliminating duplicates. wink.gif
Crazy Elf
QUOTE ("toturi")
Have fun, little boy.

Careful, your ignorance is showing.

QUOTE ("Mr Campbell")
I used to fight in 40kg of armor

There is a world of difference between lugging around and wearing. Do you think you would be able to do chin ups while wearing all your kit?

I agree that the rules system is flawed, but it does have several points that many of you are forgetting. Perhaps some of you did run around with 50kgs worth of books (something I highly doubt), but I would wager that you were not at the same level of activity that you would otherwise be at. Sure, you didn't pass out, but you probably weren't doing front hand springs and backflips. Probably weren't doing chin ups, either.
toturi
QUOTE (Crazy Elf)
QUOTE ("toturi")
Have fun, little boy.

Careful, your ignorance is showing.

I agree that the rules system is flawed, but it does have several points that many of you are forgetting. Perhaps some of you did run around with 50kgs worth of books (something I highly doubt), but I would wager that you were not at the same level of activity that you would otherwise be at. Sure, you didn't pass out, but you probably weren't doing front hand springs and backflips. Probably weren't doing chin ups, either.

6 chin-ups at lunch and dinner. With aforementioned fullpack. Have fun, little boy.
GreatChicken
Yeah, yeah. Conscription is nothing to boast or be proud about. I don't know why you even choose to remember it. (I've been through the exact same thing. Why you behave as if something like this is of utmost importance is beyond me.) sarcastic.gif

And they say the army humbles people. Humph.
Austere Emancipator
I went through conscription. I consider myself humble. smile.gif The military certainly didn't help it, though.
toturi
QUOTE (GreatChicken)
Yeah, yeah. Conscription is nothing to boast or be proud about. I don't know why you even choose to remember it. (I've been through the exact same thing. Why you behave as if something like this is of utmost importance is beyond me.) sarcastic.gif

And they say the army humbles people. Humph.

Well, I think of it as serving my country. You may think of conscription as something else but different people have different attitudes to serving their country. I take pride in having served my country, perhaps you have not been through the same thing with the same attitude.
GreatChicken
sarcastic.gif There's nothing worth praising about serving an obligation. It's not like the country's in your debt for helping them out for 2 years (actually, you're paying the country back for giving you a place to live and bringing you up). Unless you perhaps held the Captain's chair or something higher...in which case you'd probably not need to lug around your machine gun.
toturi
Like I said, different people, different points of view. In my case, I can say that I am proud that I did my duty. Maybe you see it as an obligation or some kind of chore, but not me. Actually, I liked it so much I joined up after university, but that's another story.

But back to the point of the discussion, the encumbrance rules are a little screwy BUT as long as you apply it consistently, there shouldn't be too much trouble.
mfb
actually, there's plenty that's praiseworthy about fulfilling your obligations. after all, there are more than plenty of people in the world who don't.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012