Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [SR3 and +]Weapons and bullets
sk8bcn
post Nov 20 2013, 04:21 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,265

Ok. A silvergun has flechettes as Ammo. But which weapon can take which ammos?

I tend to think that you can't exchange that easily regular ammos with flechettes but regulars with Explosives or APDS tough.

Am-I wrong?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DrZaius
post Nov 20 2013, 04:49 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 12,360

QUOTE (sk8bcn @ Nov 20 2013, 11:21 AM) *
Ok. A silvergun has flechettes as Ammo. But which weapon can take which ammos?

I tend to think that you can't exchange that easily regular ammos with flechettes but regulars with Explosives or APDS tough.

Am-I wrong?

I have always ruled that sliverguns were flechette only. Shotguns can take either flechette or slug (regular) rounds. All other guns can take any ammo BUT flechette. Hope that helps clear it up.

-DrZ

+Quote Post
Larsine
post Nov 20 2013, 05:18 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,604

QUOTE (sk8bcn @ Nov 20 2013, 05:21 PM) *
silvergun

Slivergun, not silvergun. I know players who had this wrong for many years.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Nov 20 2013, 05:25 PM
Post #4

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (DrZaius @ Nov 20 2013, 09:49 AM) *
I have always ruled that sliverguns were flechette only. Shotguns can take either flechette or slug (regular) rounds. All other guns can take any ammo BUT flechette. Hope that helps clear it up.

-DrZ

And why, exactly, cannot other weapons use flechette? I have used Shot rounds for my Pistol (Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum) for years - They make excellent Snake Loads...

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Nov 20 2013, 05:53 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

Way I always read it was Sliverguns were flechette only, but other handguns/rifles (aka anything not a LMG classification and up) could use whatever.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Nov 20 2013, 06:07 PM
Post #6

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Bigity @ Nov 20 2013, 10:53 AM) *
Way I always read it was Sliverguns were flechette only, but other handguns/rifles (aka anything not a LMG classification and up) could use whatever.

Indeed...

+Quote Post
DrZaius
post Nov 20 2013, 06:27 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Nov 20 2013, 12:25 PM) *
And why, exactly, cannot other weapons use flechette? I have used Shot rounds for my Pistol (Super Blackhawk in .44 Magnum) for years - They make excellent Snake Loads...

Real life =/= shadowrun. That said, I'm sure you could rule whatever you'd like and have normal guns use flechette. I personally have shied away from that because of the choke rules, which I'm not sure how you would apply to weapons that weren't shotguns or specific flechette weapons.

-DrZ

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Nov 20 2013, 06:34 PM
Post #8

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (DrZaius @ Nov 20 2013, 11:27 AM) *
Real life =/= shadowrun. That said, I'm sure you could rule whatever you'd like and have normal guns use flechette. I personally have shied away from that because of the choke rules, which I'm not sure how you would apply to weapons that weren't shotguns or specific flechette weapons.

-DrZ

Again, why would you apply choke rules to anything but Shotguns, which are the only guns in the system that use those rules?

+Quote Post
DrZaius
post Nov 20 2013, 06:42 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Nov 20 2013, 01:34 PM) *
Again, why would you apply choke rules to anything but Shotguns, which are the only guns in the system that use those rules?

There's no need to be so argumentative and combative. I literally just said "This is how I've done it". Other than demonstrating your superior knowledge of firearms, what precisely are you adding to the discussion by continuing this line of thought?

-DrZ

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Nov 20 2013, 06:49 PM
Post #10

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (DrZaius @ Nov 20 2013, 11:42 AM) *
There's no need to be so argumentative and combative. I literally just said "This is how I've done it". Other than demonstrating your superior knowledge of firearms, what precisely are you adding to the discussion by continuing this line of thought?

-DrZ

Asking questions is being Argumentative? Who New. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Apparently I am simply asking you WHY you think that way. Your comments up to this point are not very coherent on your position, and read like you are making statements of fact. Statements which are not accurate. So, I WANTED TO KNOW WHY YOU THOUGHT THAT WAY...

+Quote Post
JesterZero
post Nov 20 2013, 09:18 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,682

Holy cow. Mark your calendars. On this day in history I found myself in wholehearted agreement with TJ. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Seriously though, as far as I know, it breaks down like this:
  • Sliverguns can only use flechette. Hence Slivergun.
  • Shotguns can use flechette/shot or slug rounds. They are also the only category of weapon that has a choke setting (which only matters for flechette/shot).
  • All other guns that don't explicitly use some sort of proprietary round can use the other various ammo types (which includes flechette).

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Nov 20 2013, 11:51 PM
Post #12

Runner

Member No.: 18,115

The question that is being danced around, I think, is if you use Flechette rounds in, say, a pistol, does it default to a certain "choke" value, inflicting the sort of Dodge Penalty associated with flechette's "spread"?

My assumption would be it's just automatically a Narrow Spread, which modifies the Damage Value and the Armor Penetration, but still only hits a single target and doesn't invoke a Dodge Penalty at all. Naturally you then cannot change to a Medium or Wide spread on anything other than a Shotgun.

~Umi

+Quote Post
Epicedion
post Nov 21 2013, 01:21 AM
Post #13

Douche

Group: Banned
Member No.: 23,135

QUOTE (Umidori @ Nov 20 2013, 06:51 PM) *
The question that is being danced around, I think, is if you use Flechette rounds in, say, a pistol, does it default to a certain "choke" value, inflicting the sort of Dodge Penalty associated with flechette's "spread"?

My assumption would be it's just automatically a Narrow Spread, which modifies the Damage Value and the Armor Penetration, but still only hits a single target and doesn't invoke a Dodge Penalty at all. Naturally you then cannot change to a Medium or Wide spread on anything other than a Shotgun.

~Umi

Only Shotguns use the rules for choke and spread, only when firing flechettes. Other guns firing flechettes don't use the choke/spread rules, as those rules are explicitly for shotguns firing flechettes.

EDIT: Also, shotguns don't actually fire flechettes. They fire shot rounds, which use the damage rules for flechettes.

+Quote Post
sk8bcn
post Nov 21 2013, 03:51 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (Larsine @ Nov 20 2013, 06:18 PM) *
Slivergun, not silvergun. I know players who had this wrong for many years.

1st notice for me! But I think the french version has a glitch there.

I'll check to verify but it seems so.

+Quote Post
sk8bcn
post Nov 21 2013, 03:57 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (sk8bcn @ Nov 21 2013, 04:51 PM) *
1st notice for me! But I think the french version has a glitch there.

I'll check to verify but it seems so.

ok technically a slivergun is just a worser version of a Predator for rounds, but with a BF mode. And doesn't use choke rules.

Thank you!

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Nov 21 2013, 04:02 PM
Post #16

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

The Slivergun WAS originally, a LIGHT PISTOL. An Auto-Pistol.
Modeled after the Needler-Gun of Molly Millions from Gibsons Cyberpunkt Fame of Neuromancer.

+Quote Post
bannockburn
post Nov 21 2013, 04:04 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 51,886

Is there a specific mention somewhere, that shotguns cannot fire all ammo types?
Because I don't remember one.

Rule of thumb: Every weapon can fire every type of ammunition, unless either the weapon is stated to have a restriction (see: Slivergun, dartguns, etc.) or the ammunition states that it can only be used in certain kinds of weapons (e.g. Dragon's Breath or breaching rounds for shotguns).

So, for me it is:
Slivergun: Flechette only (which makes the whole idea absurd, since you can buy the weapon legally with an availability code of R for SR4, but the ammo is F)
Shotguns: Fire everything, although I have houseruled that you can buy regular ammo either as slugs or shot rounds for the same price (because shot ammo is sure as hell not illegal in my game world, and not even as expensive as flechettes)
Other weapons: The whole shebang, no restrictions, except when those are stated.

+Quote Post
Vagabond Elf
post Nov 21 2013, 06:57 PM
Post #18

Target

Member No.: 53,111

My take on it is this:

Most weapons can fire any type of round. For these weapons, "Flechette" ammo represents a frangible round like Glazer Safety Ammo ™.

Shotguns can also fire any type of round. However, for a shotgun, "Flechette" represents shot ammo, which uses the flechette rules but has the same cost and availability as regular ammo.

The Slivergun fires a unique needle round, which uses the Flechette rules and costs, but has the same availability as regular ammo. It's also a lot lighter. That's a kludge, but the whole point of needleguns (in any setting) is that one gets high performance against soft targets for less effort than a regular gun firing frangibles.

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Nov 21 2013, 07:53 PM
Post #19

Runner

QUOTE (sk8bcn @ Nov 21 2013, 08:57 AM) *
ok technically a slivergun is just a worse version of a Predator for rounds, but with a BF mode. And doesn't use choke rules.

Thank you!

Worse?

The Slivergun comes default with an Integral Sound Suppressor, which is very nice, has twice the ammo capacity of a Predator, and actually has superior damage and armor penetration compared to a Predator loaded with Flechette: 8DV + 2 AP, vs. 7D + 4 AP. (And yes, it also has BF capability without modding.)

If you're going to use Flechettes anyway, the Slivergun wins hands down. The downside is you can't use different ammo for different purposes - in particular, you can't swap out to non-lethal rounds.

~Umi

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Nov 21 2013, 08:10 PM
Post #20

The ShadowComedian

Wasn't Flechette Changed to have a +5AP?
Or was that 'accidentally' de-errataed again?

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Nov 21 2013, 09:09 PM
Post #21

Runner

It's +5 added to the Predator's base of -1, so a net of +4.

~Umi

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Nov 21 2013, 09:39 PM
Post #22

The ShadowComedian

ah, i thought it was a flat +5

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Nov 21 2013, 11:34 PM
Post #23

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Nov 21 2013, 02:39 PM) *
ah, i thought it was a flat +5

Unless you use AP Flechette (+0), which brings the adjustment back to the standard Heavy Pistol of -1 AP.

+Quote Post
Medicineman
post Nov 22 2013, 07:44 AM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 7,015

QUOTE (Umidori @ Nov 21 2013, 03:53 PM) *
Worse?

The Slivergun comes default with an Integral Sound Suppressor, which is very nice, has twice the ammo capacity of a Predator, and actually has superior damage and armor penetration compared to a Predator loaded with Flechette: 8DV + 2 AP, vs. 7D + 4 AP. (And yes, it also has BF capability without modding.)

If you're going to use Flechettes anyway, the Slivergun wins hands down. The downside is you can't use different ammo for different purposes - in particular, you can't swap out to non-lethal rounds.

~Umi

the Slivergun is quite effective if you want to Stun/KO highly Armored Foes

....oh and a +1 to Bannockburns Post (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

with a highly effective Dance
Medicineman

+Quote Post
sk8bcn
post Nov 22 2013, 08:59 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

QUOTE (Umidori @ Nov 21 2013, 08:53 PM) *
Worse?

~Umi

I'm running the full 2050-2072 era and for now, playing in the 3rd ed era, so my comment was with 3rd ed stats in mind.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 07:23 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.