IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Meat in the 6th world, We might not need to eat soy after all!
Elfenlied
post Dec 9 2013, 05:15 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,018

Scientist creates synthetic hamburger out of stem cells

So yeah, my hope for our future is bright!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Dec 9 2013, 05:34 AM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

For the rich, at least.

$330,000 per patty (bun and sauce not included). (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

(Also, not a new news story, though I don't think it made it to this forum yet).

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Dec 9 2013, 11:56 AM
Post #3

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

They have 60 years to refine the process and make it affordable. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Dec 9 2013, 11:58 AM
Post #4

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,216

Or just go back to Elf, the other white meat. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Tastes like chicken and if slow roasted the meat just sliiiiiides off the bones.

What?

Finally found a good use for an IE. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Joking aside, the concept of building food like this is an interesting step and hopefully they continue with the research.

+Quote Post
yesferatu
post Dec 9 2013, 04:29 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,916

Weren't the Japanese making meat out of human waste a while back? I think soy is the least of our worries.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Dec 9 2013, 05:17 PM
Post #6

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (yesferatu @ Dec 9 2013, 09:29 AM) *
Weren't the Japanese making meat out of human waste a while back? I think soy is the least of our worries.

Indeed they were. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/eek.gif)

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Dec 9 2013, 05:47 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (yesferatu @ Dec 9 2013, 11:29 AM) *

Now I know why the Japanese are so screwed up. They have people thinking of ways to have people eat crap and LIKE it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead.gif)

+Quote Post
Neko Asakami
post Dec 9 2013, 07:01 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,450

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Dec 9 2013, 10:47 AM) *
Now I know why the Japanese are so screwed up. They have people thinking of ways to have people eat crap and LIKE it! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/dead.gif)

Pretty sure we've been doing it in the States since at least 1955...

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Dec 10 2013, 09:21 AM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 18,115

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Dec 9 2013, 11:47 AM) *

I can't see the difference between eatting food culled from bacteria that subsist on drek, and eatting food culled from plants (or animals that eat those plants) that subsist on drek. It's kind of like people who won't eat meat, but are okay eatting fish.

~Umi

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Dec 10 2013, 04:29 PM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (Neko Asakami @ Dec 9 2013, 02:01 PM) *
Pretty sure we've been doing it in the States since at least 1955...

There's a huge fraking difference in fake meat, and real feces! Sure the you may think that McD's is serving crap, but it is not feces.

@Umidori: those bacteria may subsist on crap, but they are not crap.

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Dec 10 2013, 05:03 PM
Post #11

Runner

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Dec 10 2013, 09:29 AM) *
@Umidori: those bacteria may subsist on crap, but they are not crap.

...that was my point. The linked article talks about growing bacteria on drek, and then using that bacteria to make "meat". It's not any different than fertilizing crops and then making bread.

~Umi

+Quote Post
DMiller
post Dec 11 2013, 12:31 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,343

QUOTE (Umidori @ Dec 11 2013, 02:03 AM) *
...that was my point. The linked article talks about growing bacteria on drek, and then using that bacteria to make "meat". It's not any different than fertilizing crops and then making bread.

~Umi

I agree...

+1

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Dec 11 2013, 01:08 AM
Post #13

Runner

B-b-b-but I had the Soylent Brown posters all made up.... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

But yeah, they are just extracting bacteria (and cooking it first) so can't say it is too odd.

If anything it will be one more thing added for recycling on long term space missions.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Dec 23 2013, 03:09 AM
Post #14

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

I said this about food long ago, the whole soy/krill thing is standard dystopian future clap trap but if you consider VITAS wiped out a huge amoung ot the population AND the UCAS/CAS are pretty much still advanced places there would not be a great shortage of food.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Dec 23 2013, 03:25 AM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

It would depend: how much of the population can be devoted to growing rice, wheat, corn, and beef?

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Dec 23 2013, 03:50 AM
Post #16

Prime Runner

how much of the population does it now? in asia and Africa it would be bad but not here, we'd pretty much be were where we are as a nation now

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Dec 23 2013, 04:16 AM
Post #17

Runner

One thing I think a lot of people forget about the Sixth World is that Mother Nature is pissed. Magic has made wilderness regions truly dangerous, and that presumably spills over into rural farming areas as well.

Imagine living out in the boonies and having to worry about not just your old problems of wolves or coyotes, but nasty paracritters of all sorts, as well as rogue malevolent spirits, eco-terrorists, radical shamans, and worse. Imagine trying to cope with awakened weeds that grow like wildfire, strangling out anything and everything else. Imagine having to constantly be on watch for mana storms, paranatural disasters, ley line shifts, and other passive environmental theats. Imagine having to cope with wildly changing ecologies and food webs that have been disrupted by the reintroduction of magic.

~Umi

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Dec 29 2013, 03:07 PM
Post #18

Prime Runner

that's in Australia and parts of northern france but not in the old US and southern canada

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Dec 29 2013, 03:20 PM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Dec 29 2013, 10:07 AM) *
that's in Australia and parts of northern france but not in the old US and southern canada

Yeah, worst you'll get in New England is skunk. Below that feral dogs, feral cats, deer, woodchucks, and squirrels.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Dec 29 2013, 04:04 PM
Post #20

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Dec 29 2013, 08:20 AM) *
Yeah, worst you'll get in New England is skunk. Below that feral dogs, feral cats, deer, woodchucks, and squirrels.

Got to watch out for those Woodchucks, though. They are vicious. Always keep an eye on them, and NEVER let them get behind you.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Dec 29 2013, 04:19 PM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 29 2013, 11:04 AM) *
Got to watch out for those Woodchucks, though. They are vicious. Always keep an eye on them, and NEVER let them get behind you.

Or carry a medium sized dog on you at all times.
(The score, here, is Dogs: 4 Woodcucks: 0)

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Dec 30 2013, 12:12 AM
Post #22

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

Woodcucks never score

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Dec 30 2013, 12:39 AM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 53,300

The woodchucks are listening...

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Dec 30 2013, 02:33 AM
Post #24

Runner

Don't forget about the awakened woodchuck, nicknamed "copperchucks" due to it's preference for seeking out and chewing on old style copper piping and wiring in human habitats, but also has a taste for gold,silver and platinum so some prospectors note the presence of a copperchuck colony as a good sign of possible veins for mining.

Thankfully they are not aggressive unless cornered, though between hardened teeth and claws along with an acidic spittle, they can rip into armor/vehicles if pressed. Electric motors are a special treat for them with their internal coils and more than one rigger in the wild has found a chunk of their engine removed if unwittingly left near a burrow unattended.

If you come across one and need to get by peacefully, throwing out a small roll of wiring is usually enough to distract them, allowing one to go around without hassle.

Unfortunately they are not very edible, the high metal content leaving them with a bitter taste most will find offputting though not toxic if one is hard pressed and they properly extract the acidic glands which can ruin the meat if leaked.

+Quote Post
Tashiro
post Dec 30 2013, 06:24 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,847

Even without that, you've got things like Soylent, which is already much cheaper, and handles everything. In fact, they mention making it available through taps. So even if you're drinking soy, you've got a fair chance of being healthy and energetic. I don't think, in Shadowrun, food should be a problem, really. Any decent soup kitchen should be able to feed everyone without any real problem. And if you have the filter system that's been shown around these days, you can draw water from nearly anything and not worry about pollutants.

I try to keep modern technology and advancements in mind when I run Shadowrun - so it isn't as dystopic as 'canon' may make it seem to be.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th April 2024 - 07:06 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.