Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Meat in the 6th world
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Elfenlied
Scientist creates synthetic hamburger out of stem cells

So yeah, my hope for our future is bright!
Draco18s
For the rich, at least.

$330,000 per patty (bun and sauce not included). nyahnyah.gif

(Also, not a new news story, though I don't think it made it to this forum yet).
Thanee
They have 60 years to refine the process and make it affordable. biggrin.gif

Bye
Thanee
Sendaz
Or just go back to Elf, the other white meat. biggrin.gif

Tastes like chicken and if slow roasted the meat just sliiiiiides off the bones.

What?

Finally found a good use for an IE. nyahnyah.gif

Joking aside, the concept of building food like this is an interesting step and hopefully they continue with the research.
yesferatu
Weren't the Japanese making meat out of human waste a while back? I think soy is the least of our worries.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (yesferatu @ Dec 9 2013, 09:29 AM) *
Weren't the Japanese making meat out of human waste a while back? I think soy is the least of our worries.

Indeed they were. eek.gif
KCKitsune
QUOTE (yesferatu @ Dec 9 2013, 11:29 AM) *

Now I know why the Japanese are so screwed up. They have people thinking of ways to have people eat crap and LIKE it! dead.gif
Neko Asakami
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Dec 9 2013, 10:47 AM) *
Now I know why the Japanese are so screwed up. They have people thinking of ways to have people eat crap and LIKE it! dead.gif

Pretty sure we've been doing it in the States since at least 1955...
Umidori
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Dec 9 2013, 11:47 AM) *

I can't see the difference between eatting food culled from bacteria that subsist on drek, and eatting food culled from plants (or animals that eat those plants) that subsist on drek. It's kind of like people who won't eat meat, but are okay eatting fish.

~Umi
KCKitsune
QUOTE (Neko Asakami @ Dec 9 2013, 02:01 PM) *
Pretty sure we've been doing it in the States since at least 1955...

There's a huge fraking difference in fake meat, and real feces! Sure the you may think that McD's is serving crap, but it is not feces.

@Umidori: those bacteria may subsist on crap, but they are not crap.
Umidori
QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Dec 10 2013, 09:29 AM) *
@Umidori: those bacteria may subsist on crap, but they are not crap.

...that was my point. The linked article talks about growing bacteria on drek, and then using that bacteria to make "meat". It's not any different than fertilizing crops and then making bread.

~Umi
DMiller
QUOTE (Umidori @ Dec 11 2013, 02:03 AM) *
...that was my point. The linked article talks about growing bacteria on drek, and then using that bacteria to make "meat". It's not any different than fertilizing crops and then making bread.

~Umi

I agree...

+1
Sendaz
B-b-b-but I had the Soylent Brown posters all made up.... nyahnyah.gif

But yeah, they are just extracting bacteria (and cooking it first) so can't say it is too odd.

If anything it will be one more thing added for recycling on long term space missions.
Snow_Fox
I said this about food long ago, the whole soy/krill thing is standard dystopian future clap trap but if you consider VITAS wiped out a huge amoung ot the population AND the UCAS/CAS are pretty much still advanced places there would not be a great shortage of food.
Draco18s
It would depend: how much of the population can be devoted to growing rice, wheat, corn, and beef?
Snow_Fox
how much of the population does it now? in asia and Africa it would be bad but not here, we'd pretty much be were where we are as a nation now
Umidori
One thing I think a lot of people forget about the Sixth World is that Mother Nature is pissed. Magic has made wilderness regions truly dangerous, and that presumably spills over into rural farming areas as well.

Imagine living out in the boonies and having to worry about not just your old problems of wolves or coyotes, but nasty paracritters of all sorts, as well as rogue malevolent spirits, eco-terrorists, radical shamans, and worse. Imagine trying to cope with awakened weeds that grow like wildfire, strangling out anything and everything else. Imagine having to constantly be on watch for mana storms, paranatural disasters, ley line shifts, and other passive environmental theats. Imagine having to cope with wildly changing ecologies and food webs that have been disrupted by the reintroduction of magic.

~Umi
Snow_Fox
that's in Australia and parts of northern france but not in the old US and southern canada
Draco18s
QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Dec 29 2013, 10:07 AM) *
that's in Australia and parts of northern france but not in the old US and southern canada

Yeah, worst you'll get in New England is skunk. Below that feral dogs, feral cats, deer, woodchucks, and squirrels.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Dec 29 2013, 08:20 AM) *
Yeah, worst you'll get in New England is skunk. Below that feral dogs, feral cats, deer, woodchucks, and squirrels.

Got to watch out for those Woodchucks, though. They are vicious. Always keep an eye on them, and NEVER let them get behind you.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 29 2013, 11:04 AM) *
Got to watch out for those Woodchucks, though. They are vicious. Always keep an eye on them, and NEVER let them get behind you.

Or carry a medium sized dog on you at all times.
(The score, here, is Dogs: 4 Woodcucks: 0)
Backgammon
Woodcucks never score
FuelDrop
The woodchucks are listening...
Sendaz
Don't forget about the awakened woodchuck, nicknamed "copperchucks" due to it's preference for seeking out and chewing on old style copper piping and wiring in human habitats, but also has a taste for gold,silver and platinum so some prospectors note the presence of a copperchuck colony as a good sign of possible veins for mining.

Thankfully they are not aggressive unless cornered, though between hardened teeth and claws along with an acidic spittle, they can rip into armor/vehicles if pressed. Electric motors are a special treat for them with their internal coils and more than one rigger in the wild has found a chunk of their engine removed if unwittingly left near a burrow unattended.

If you come across one and need to get by peacefully, throwing out a small roll of wiring is usually enough to distract them, allowing one to go around without hassle.

Unfortunately they are not very edible, the high metal content leaving them with a bitter taste most will find offputting though not toxic if one is hard pressed and they properly extract the acidic glands which can ruin the meat if leaked.
Tashiro
Even without that, you've got things like Soylent, which is already much cheaper, and handles everything. In fact, they mention making it available through taps. So even if you're drinking soy, you've got a fair chance of being healthy and energetic. I don't think, in Shadowrun, food should be a problem, really. Any decent soup kitchen should be able to feed everyone without any real problem. And if you have the filter system that's been shown around these days, you can draw water from nearly anything and not worry about pollutants.

I try to keep modern technology and advancements in mind when I run Shadowrun - so it isn't as dystopic as 'canon' may make it seem to be.
Brazilian_Shinobi
QUOTE (Tashiro @ Dec 30 2013, 03:24 AM) *
Even without that, you've got things like Soylent, which is already much cheaper, and handles everything. In fact, they mention making it available through taps. So even if you're drinking soy, you've got a fair chance of being healthy and energetic. I don't think, in Shadowrun, food should be a problem, really. Any decent soup kitchen should be able to feed everyone without any real problem. And if you have the filter system that's been shown around these days, you can draw water from nearly anything and not worry about pollutants.

I try to keep modern technology and advancements in mind when I run Shadowrun - so it isn't as dystopic as 'canon' may make it seem to be.

You could put these "luxuries" with a high price wich makes anyone from below medium life-style having problems acquring one.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Backgammon)
Woodcucks never score

Poor Woodchucks - That must be sad. frown.gif
Draco18s
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Dec 30 2013, 09:31 AM) *
Poor Woodchucks - That must be sad. frown.gif

Everyone else...?
Tashiro
QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Dec 30 2013, 07:43 AM) *
You could put these "luxuries" with a high price wich makes anyone from below medium life-style having problems acquring one.

Well, it would depend. Soylent for example, is about... what, $0.35 a meal? That's chicken feed. I can't see that being priced outside of the lower class range. As for grown meat, I could see it perhaps being a bit more expensive. It would really depend on if it can be mass-produced or not.

One thing I'm wondering however, is how much magic can get involved in the process. Can 'growing' meat be sped up by creating new Health spells? I've wondered what Manipulation and Health magic can do in the tech industry.
Draco18s
QUOTE (Tashiro @ Dec 30 2013, 01:40 PM) *
One thing I'm wondering however, is how much magic can get involved in the process. Can 'growing' meat be sped up by creating new Health spells? I've wondered what Manipulation and Health magic can do in the [insert industry of choice here] industry.

Fixed that for you.

There are all kinds of terrible, terrible ways magic could be used. I'm sure you've never considered the possibilities of Polymorph (or its Shadowrun equivalent) in the bordello scene, have you?

How about Shape [Material] in the manufacturing industry?

Oxygenate in high-altitude hiking?
Umidori
QUOTE (Draco18s @ Dec 30 2013, 12:15 PM) *
Oxygenate in combination with Levitate for the purpose of converting hammerhead sharks into large, angry, chompy ballistic missiles?

Fixed that for you! biggrin.gif

~Umi
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Umidori @ Dec 31 2013, 02:18 PM) *
Fixed that for you! biggrin.gif

~Umi

Please. Everyone knows that whales have better stats than sharks and can breathe air without oxygenate. Combine with K10 for extra killey goodness.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Dec 31 2013, 05:22 AM) *
Please. Everyone knows that whales have better stats than sharks and can breathe air without oxygenate. Combine with K10 for extra killey goodness.

Sharks are cooler - Hammerhead Sharks even more so... smile.gif
And if they have a low-level auditory phantasm to accompany them wherever they go... that is just a Bonus. smile.gif
Tashiro
Hmm. So, area effect telekinetic manipulation with an air elemental component, to pick up a mass of sharks and throw them around at enemies?
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Tashiro @ Dec 31 2013, 09:09 AM) *
Hmm. So, area effect telekinetic manipulation with an air elemental component, to pick up a mass of sharks and throw them around at enemies?

Naah... Much cooler to give the sharks the ability to fly in the air (while breathing, of course) and maker their own attacks. smile.gif
Maybe as the result of a Loaned (Empowered? - Can't remember the name of the ability) ability granted by Spirit Pact. smile.gif
Umidori
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Dec 31 2013, 06:22 AM) *

We've gone over this - Levitate has a built in weight limit, you need one hit per 200 kg. Sharks are doable, whales... not so much.

Also, whales don't have Natural Weapons!

~Umi
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Umidori @ Dec 31 2013, 02:53 PM) *
We've gone over this - Levitate has a built in weight limit, you need one hit per 200 kg. Sharks are doable, whales... not so much.

Also, whales don't have Natural Weapons!

~Umi

Their weight is their weapon... They just land on someone... smile.gif
Sendaz
Or go the battle suit route with Mecha whales wink.gif
FuelDrop
Could you give whales cyber helicopter rotors or something? Possibly bioengineer them to have shark-like teeth and a hunger for metahuman flesh too?
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012