Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dice pool and limit sweet spot.
FuelDrop
post Mar 31 2014, 08:08 AM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 53,300

The addition of limits to SR5 means that after a certain point extra dice start becoming less and less effective. I don't doubt that someone has gone and done the math for the best bang for your buck dice for any given limit, I was hoping that someone could link me to it.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Mar 31 2014, 08:11 AM
Post #2

Runner

Member No.: 18,115

Limit x3?

~Umi

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Mar 31 2014, 08:27 AM
Post #3

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 53,300

QUOTE (Umidori @ Mar 31 2014, 04:11 PM) *
Limit x3?

~Umi

I suspect that it's more complicated than that somehow. it usually is.

+Quote Post
Slide_Eurhetemec
post Mar 31 2014, 12:35 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 188,446

QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Mar 31 2014, 08:27 AM) *
I suspect that it's more complicated than that somehow. it usually is.

The math here seems pretty straight-forward. Talking purely about the question asked, the relationship between dice-pool and limit, limit x3 is going to be the sweet spot, given you are rolling d6es and want a 5 or 6. Dice beyond that will be less useful. Everything else I can think of is really a question about dice-pool size - for example, if you regularly face dice-pool penalties, more dice is better, but the end number still wants to be 3x limit, sweet-spot-wise.

If you want a table for the declining utility of dice after limit x3, that I don't have, sadly.

+Quote Post
mister__joshua
post Mar 31 2014, 01:17 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 19,241

While limit x 3 is indeed ideal for any given limit, this would result in reaching the limit with an average roll and would allow for no above average rolls. The results for a dicepool will always be a bell-curve and I think really you want to work out how far down the downwards slope you want to be. limit x 3 is cutting off the dicepool as soon as the dice are not at full effectiveness. I'd suggest raising a limit to a point or 2 above your average roll. 1 point above should be fine for lower DPs. Higher DPs maybe 2 points above average to allow for the greater variance.

+Quote Post
Kyrinthic
post Mar 31 2014, 03:43 PM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 38,390

QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Mar 31 2014, 08:17 AM) *
While limit x 3 is indeed ideal for any given limit, this would result in reaching the limit with an average roll and would allow for no above average rolls. The results for a dicepool will always be a bell-curve and I think really you want to work out how far down the downwards slope you want to be. limit x 3 is cutting off the dicepool as soon as the dice are not at full effectiveness. I'd suggest raising a limit to a point or 2 above your average roll. 1 point above should be fine for lower DPs. Higher DPs maybe 2 points above average to allow for the greater variance.

This sounds about right. you also want to factor your edge in. If you have a lot of edge, you can ignore your limit on many good rolls, so you can be closer to that pool/3 limit, but if you are working with a single edge or something, you might want to push that limit harder, because having every amazing roll capped by limit kinda sucks.

+Quote Post
Jack VII
post Mar 31 2014, 04:17 PM
Post #7

Skillwire Savant

Member No.: 88,139

In case anyone is interested, Michael Chandra put together an odds chart a while ago to look at limits. The numbers listed in the fields are the odds (as in 1:X, where X is the number in the cell).

Dice vs. Hits Chart

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Mar 31 2014, 04:54 PM
Post #8

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

i would expect you'd want to have more dice regardless. even if you're hitting your limit regularly, it's better to be consistently getting 5 hits than to range from 3-5 hits most of the time. not to mention that there *are* effects that will increase your limit or reduce your dice pool.

certainly, there is a point where adding more dice doesn't do as much for you, but to me at least it's still well worth going past 3 x limit.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:40 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.