Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Dice pool and limit sweet spot.
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
FuelDrop
The addition of limits to SR5 means that after a certain point extra dice start becoming less and less effective. I don't doubt that someone has gone and done the math for the best bang for your buck dice for any given limit, I was hoping that someone could link me to it.
Umidori
Limit x3?

~Umi
FuelDrop
QUOTE (Umidori @ Mar 31 2014, 04:11 PM) *
Limit x3?

~Umi

I suspect that it's more complicated than that somehow. it usually is.
Slide_Eurhetemec
QUOTE (FuelDrop @ Mar 31 2014, 08:27 AM) *
I suspect that it's more complicated than that somehow. it usually is.

The math here seems pretty straight-forward. Talking purely about the question asked, the relationship between dice-pool and limit, limit x3 is going to be the sweet spot, given you are rolling d6es and want a 5 or 6. Dice beyond that will be less useful. Everything else I can think of is really a question about dice-pool size - for example, if you regularly face dice-pool penalties, more dice is better, but the end number still wants to be 3x limit, sweet-spot-wise.

If you want a table for the declining utility of dice after limit x3, that I don't have, sadly.
mister__joshua
While limit x 3 is indeed ideal for any given limit, this would result in reaching the limit with an average roll and would allow for no above average rolls. The results for a dicepool will always be a bell-curve and I think really you want to work out how far down the downwards slope you want to be. limit x 3 is cutting off the dicepool as soon as the dice are not at full effectiveness. I'd suggest raising a limit to a point or 2 above your average roll. 1 point above should be fine for lower DPs. Higher DPs maybe 2 points above average to allow for the greater variance.
Kyrinthic
QUOTE (mister__joshua @ Mar 31 2014, 08:17 AM) *
While limit x 3 is indeed ideal for any given limit, this would result in reaching the limit with an average roll and would allow for no above average rolls. The results for a dicepool will always be a bell-curve and I think really you want to work out how far down the downwards slope you want to be. limit x 3 is cutting off the dicepool as soon as the dice are not at full effectiveness. I'd suggest raising a limit to a point or 2 above your average roll. 1 point above should be fine for lower DPs. Higher DPs maybe 2 points above average to allow for the greater variance.

This sounds about right. you also want to factor your edge in. If you have a lot of edge, you can ignore your limit on many good rolls, so you can be closer to that pool/3 limit, but if you are working with a single edge or something, you might want to push that limit harder, because having every amazing roll capped by limit kinda sucks.

Jack VII
In case anyone is interested, Michael Chandra put together an odds chart a while ago to look at limits. The numbers listed in the fields are the odds (as in 1:X, where X is the number in the cell).

Dice vs. Hits Chart
Jaid
i would expect you'd want to have more dice regardless. even if you're hitting your limit regularly, it's better to be consistently getting 5 hits than to range from 3-5 hits most of the time. not to mention that there *are* effects that will increase your limit or reduce your dice pool.

certainly, there is a point where adding more dice doesn't do as much for you, but to me at least it's still well worth going past 3 x limit.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012