IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Working on a character concept, Anyone familiar with Hellenic culture?
Tyro
post Apr 20 2014, 03:59 AM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,558

I'm building a character for a street level open-ended game who's based around a fairly basic concept: curious, bright magical researcher who refuses to give up his autonomy. He'll do a job for a fee because he made the *choice* to be so bound, but he won't put himself under someone else's authority long term, or at all without strict guidelines. This is all to preserve his status as a moral agent, able to do what he believes is right without compromising his morals.

I need to flesh him out. He uses a Greek model of hermeticism, though he suspects a Unified Magical Theory is possible and does research to that end. I'm not sure where he came from, how he ended up in the Barrens, etc. and could use some good ideas (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Apr 20 2014, 02:29 PM
Post #2

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

Love that he suspects that a UMT is possible, since it is already here, you know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Also love that he expects to keep his morals in the shadows. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Apr 20 2014, 03:03 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 20 2014, 06:29 AM) *
Love that he suspects that a UMT is possible, since it is already here, you know. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Also love that he expects to keep his morals in the shadows. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

What did I miss? SR canon is so hard to keep track of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Apr 20 2014, 04:48 PM
Post #4

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Tyro @ Apr 20 2014, 08:03 AM) *
What did I miss? SR canon is so hard to keep track of (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

UMT became Fact (as in the Theory is a mainstream theory now) in SR4. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Blastula
post Apr 20 2014, 05:15 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 17,527

This! Is! Redmond! (boots a troll down a manhole)

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Apr 20 2014, 05:59 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 20 2014, 08:48 AM) *
UMT became Fact in SR4. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Source? My memory is full of holes (health related) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post Apr 20 2014, 06:55 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 11,613

Sounds like an occult investigator. The path to enlightenment is often beset but side jaunts into untruth that still result in the gaining of wisdom.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Apr 20 2014, 07:31 PM
Post #8

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Tyro @ Apr 20 2014, 10:59 AM) *
Source? My memory is full of holes (health related) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

Quick and easy gave me this, though it is not what I remember. Will look for more on the matter.

QUOTE (Street Magic)
Chaos magic’s popularity among young magicians has come to influence even the hermetic paradigm, prompting the development of the Unified Magical Theory.

AS for the Theory being accepted fact, that one may still be up in the air, but the fact is - It is definitely a Theory. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Apr 21 2014, 05:23 AM
Post #9

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 20 2014, 11:31 AM) *
[...] AS for the Theory being accepted fact, that one may still be up in the air, but the fact is - It is definitely a Theory. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Sounds like I was right, then. It's a hypothesis, not a proven theory (much less a well established one) - still in progress, not widely accepted as fact. A well established theory is something like evolution or gravity.

+Quote Post
Umidori
post Apr 21 2014, 05:44 AM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 18,115

Yeah, Chaos Magic is cool and all (and if magic were real, I'd be a Chaos Mage just from a pure philosophical standpoint), but it's merely a pragmatic school of thought rather than a verifiable unified theory.

~Umi

+Quote Post
Tyro
post Apr 21 2014, 06:08 AM
Post #11

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Umidori @ Apr 20 2014, 09:44 PM) *
Yeah, Chaos Magic is cool and all (and if magic were real, I'd be a Chaos Mage just from a pure philosophical standpoint), but it's merely a pragmatic school of thought rather than a verifiable unified theory.

~Umi

Ditto.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:17 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.