Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Working on a character concept
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Tyro
I'm building a character for a street level open-ended game who's based around a fairly basic concept: curious, bright magical researcher who refuses to give up his autonomy. He'll do a job for a fee because he made the *choice* to be so bound, but he won't put himself under someone else's authority long term, or at all without strict guidelines. This is all to preserve his status as a moral agent, able to do what he believes is right without compromising his morals.

I need to flesh him out. He uses a Greek model of hermeticism, though he suspects a Unified Magical Theory is possible and does research to that end. I'm not sure where he came from, how he ended up in the Barrens, etc. and could use some good ideas smile.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Love that he suspects that a UMT is possible, since it is already here, you know. smile.gif
Also love that he expects to keep his morals in the shadows. frown.gif
Tyro
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 20 2014, 06:29 AM) *
Love that he suspects that a UMT is possible, since it is already here, you know. smile.gif
Also love that he expects to keep his morals in the shadows. frown.gif

What did I miss? SR canon is so hard to keep track of frown.gif
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Tyro @ Apr 20 2014, 08:03 AM) *
What did I miss? SR canon is so hard to keep track of frown.gif

UMT became Fact (as in the Theory is a mainstream theory now) in SR4. smile.gif
Blastula
This! Is! Redmond! (boots a troll down a manhole)

Tyro
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 20 2014, 08:48 AM) *
UMT became Fact in SR4. smile.gif

Source? My memory is full of holes (health related) frown.gif
psychophipps
Sounds like an occult investigator. The path to enlightenment is often beset but side jaunts into untruth that still result in the gaining of wisdom.
Tymeaus Jalynsfein
QUOTE (Tyro @ Apr 20 2014, 10:59 AM) *
Source? My memory is full of holes (health related) frown.gif

Quick and easy gave me this, though it is not what I remember. Will look for more on the matter.

QUOTE (Street Magic)
Chaos magic’s popularity among young magicians has come to influence even the hermetic paradigm, prompting the development of the Unified Magical Theory.

AS for the Theory being accepted fact, that one may still be up in the air, but the fact is - It is definitely a Theory. smile.gif
Tyro
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Apr 20 2014, 11:31 AM) *
[...] AS for the Theory being accepted fact, that one may still be up in the air, but the fact is - It is definitely a Theory. smile.gif

Sounds like I was right, then. It's a hypothesis, not a proven theory (much less a well established one) - still in progress, not widely accepted as fact. A well established theory is something like evolution or gravity.
Umidori
Yeah, Chaos Magic is cool and all (and if magic were real, I'd be a Chaos Mage just from a pure philosophical standpoint), but it's merely a pragmatic school of thought rather than a verifiable unified theory.

~Umi
Tyro
QUOTE (Umidori @ Apr 20 2014, 09:44 PM) *
Yeah, Chaos Magic is cool and all (and if magic were real, I'd be a Chaos Mage just from a pure philosophical standpoint), but it's merely a pragmatic school of thought rather than a verifiable unified theory.

~Umi

Ditto.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012