> Shadowrun Product Data, A List of Products from 1st Edition to Present
JesterZero
post May 21 2014, 09:35 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,682

Hey Everyone,

I'm a bit of a data hound, and a while back when I started trying to find a comprehensive list of Shadowrun products I was a bit peeved to discover that there didn't seem to be any single list that contained what I needed. Also, many of the available lists contradicted one another or contained rather obvious errors. So I built my own.

The data sources used for this initially were:

A couple of explanatory notes:
  • This doesn't include magazines, video games, board games, etc. It does include all printed books and electronic books that I know of.
  • "Edition" is fairly self-explanatory. The value for novels was simply set to whatever the current edition of Shadowrun was at the time of publication.
  • For "Genre" I used values that were meaningful to me.
  • "Shadowrun Date" is the in-universe year (in books that span multiple years, the earliest one was used). Cases that I could confirm are in black. Inferences are in red text. Unknowns are blank (the cell is red). If anyone can tell me what some of these values should be (and if they're exact or inferred), I'd be grateful; this is the only column that has incomplete data. (For example, some products don't have a Shadowland / Jackpoint splash page, and later products don't have date stamps on the comments. Typically I set a date based either on the most recent reference to 20**, or in some cases was able to set one based on in-universe events. I simply haven't had time to manually go through all of them yet). Eventually I'll probably go through an set ballpark values to any that remain (it's pretty easy to get within + / - 1 year).
  • "Published" is the year it was (wait for it...) published. Again, pretty straight forward.

Like I said, if anyone spots anything in need of correction or addition, I'll periodically check back and update the file. I'm also not familiar with Google Docs, so if any of this is shared goofy, just shoot me a heads up.

I think that's it. You're welcome to download, modify, use, etc. Go nuts. Enjoy.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DeathStrobe
post May 21 2014, 10:25 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,558

Oh that's a great list. Much easier to navigate than the pdf with all the SR books.

+Quote Post
Gyrox10
post May 21 2014, 11:08 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 6,777

You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

I've been wanting a list of novels myself. Glad to piggyback off your list.

+Quote Post
JesterZero
post May 22 2014, 01:26 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

QUOTE (Gyrox10 @ May 21 2014, 03:08 PM) *
You sir are a gentleman and a scholar.

I've been wanting a list of novels myself. Glad to piggyback off your list.

Thank you.

Since the novels seem of particular interest to you, I went ahead and added a column called "Novel Order." It's essentially a more specific version of Published, but it will let you put the series within the novels into proper order.

I actually own every single on of the novels. Pulling them off the shelf and skimming the first chapter or two for the in-universe date is something I've been putting off. Someday though.

+Quote Post
Gyrox10
post May 22 2014, 05:31 AM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 6,777

Hah, much appreciated.

Unfortunately, I already scalped your list into my own file and organized it by the books I've got vs the books I've been meaning to pick up.

+Quote Post
ravensmuse
post May 22 2014, 10:47 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 14,507

This is super useful! It would be excellent to help if you were looking to do different "eras" of Shadowrun, and know which book / supplement / materials you could use for each.

Thank you!

+Quote Post
Bigity
post May 22 2014, 01:09 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

Are you counting Rigger 3 Revised, as a re-print of Rigger 3?

+Quote Post
JesterZero
post May 22 2014, 04:05 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (ravensmuse @ May 22 2014, 02:47 AM) *
This is super useful! It would be excellent to help if you were looking to do different "eras" of Shadowrun, and know which book / supplement / materials you could use for each.

"Eras" in Shadowrun, (at least from a chronological perspective), are pretty well defined:
  • 1st Edition: 2050 - 2053
  • 2nd Edition: 2053 - 2060
  • 3rd Edition: 2060 - 2065
  • 4th Edition: 2070 - 2075
  • 5th Edition: 2075 - "Present"

There are a few exceptions to that, but for the most part the books fit into those segments. Did you have a different definition of "eras" in mind?
QUOTE (Bigity @ May 22 2014, 05:09 AM) *
Are you counting Rigger 3 Revised, as a re-print of Rigger 3?

That's a good question. I tried to leave off re-printings (even if they contained errata), but include products that had substantial content revision (for example, the two different versions of This Old Drone). I own the original Rigger 3, but I don't think I've ever laid eyes on a copy of Rigger 3 Revised. Is it basically a re-print with errata, or is it truly a differentiated product?

+Quote Post
ravensmuse
post May 22 2014, 04:14 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 14,507

QUOTE (JesterZero @ May 22 2014, 12:05 PM) *
"Eras" in Shadowrun, (at least from a chronological perspective), are pretty well defined:
  • 1st Edition: 2050 - 2053
  • 2nd Edition: 2053 - 2060
  • 3rd Edition: 2060 - 2065
  • 4th Edition: 2070 - 2075
  • 5th Edition: 2075 - "Present"

There are a few exceptions to that, but for the most part the books fit into those segments. Did you have a different definition of "eras" in mind?

No, actually, that's exactly what I was thinking! I'm an old enough hand to know them myself, but it's useful to point a newbie SR junkie towards.

I hope you don't mind, but I posted a link to this on my tumblr just for that purpose.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post May 22 2014, 05:25 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

QUOTE (JesterZero @ May 22 2014, 11:05 AM) *
That's a good question. I tried to leave off re-printings (even if they contained errata), but include products that had substantial content revision (for example, the two different versions of This Old Drone). I own the original Rigger 3, but I don't think I've ever laid eyes on a copy of Rigger 3 Revised. Is it basically a re-print with errata, or is it truly a differentiated product?

It was pretty substantial as I recall. I do believe the ISBN numbers were the same though.

In any case, nice work on the list (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
JesterZero
post May 22 2014, 05:51 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (Bigity @ May 22 2014, 09:25 AM) *
It was pretty substantial as I recall. I do believe the ISBN numbers were the same though.

Ok, this is what I found:

Like you said, both books have the same ISBN. The original Rigger 3 was published by FASA; the Revised version was reprinted by FanPro.

The errata for the FASA version can be found here: http://old.shadowrun4.com/resources/errata_r3.shtml

Based on what I've read, the FanPro version contains additional errata but no new material. The conversion guide for the Revised version (which included the material in the link above), can be found here: http://www.scribd.com/doc/4089972/Rigger-3...onversion-Guide

tl;dr: I'm going to consider it a reprint and leave it as a single product.

+Quote Post
Mantis
post May 22 2014, 06:51 PM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 17,538

Cool. I'm going to add this to my G+, if you are cool with that.

+Quote Post
JesterZero
post May 22 2014, 07:35 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (Mantis @ May 22 2014, 10:51 AM) *
Cool. I'm going to add this to my G+, if you are cool with that.

Go right ahead. You're also welcome to download, modify, and distribute it as you see fit. I have no plans to get rich or famous by doing this. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

And like I said before, if anyone has corrections or additions to the data, please send them along. I'll probably fill in all the blank cells for in-universe dates in the next couple days with red text, with the caveat that red text should be understood as + / - a year.

+Quote Post
Aramus
post May 25 2014, 01:10 AM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 3,677

1st Edition: 2050 - 2053
2nd Edition: 2053 - 2060
3rd Edition: 2060 - 2065
4th Edition: 2070 - 2075
5th Edition: 2075 - "Present"

Hmmm what happen between 2065-2070 ?

+Quote Post
DeathStrobe
post May 25 2014, 05:09 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,558

QUOTE (Aramus @ May 24 2014, 07:10 PM) *
Hmmm what happen between 2065-2070 ?

Time Jump.

Horizon became a AAA.
CalFree kicked out the Japanese.
Novatech became NeoNET

Probably a few other small things that I can't remember.

+Quote Post
JesterZero
post May 25 2014, 06:18 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

Long story short, there were a lot of ideas thrown around for what direction 4th edition would go...from continuing to wave the 3rd edition banner to jumping into the future rather drastically. Ultimately the writers decided to take a middle-of-the-road approach where they advanced the timeline five years, implemented some rather significant mechanical changes (from variable TN to fixed TN), and made some rather significant in-universe changes (including the debut of the wireless matrix).

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Jun 6 2014, 08:18 PM
Post #17

Tilting at Windmills

Member No.: 388

Sail Away, Sweet Sister is set between November 2073 and January 2074. You're showing it as 2075. Just FYI. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
JesterZero
post Jun 6 2014, 09:30 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Jun 6 2014, 01:18 PM) *
Sail Away, Sweet Sister is set between November 2073 and January 2074. You're showing it as 2075. Just FYI. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Fixed. Date should now be correct and no longer marked as inferred.

Thanks Patrick; I appreciate the input.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Jun 7 2014, 11:50 AM
Post #19

Old Man Jones

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,699

There was an "official" living campaign known as Virtual Seattle, that ran for a few years prior to Missions. I think it spanned from 1st to 3rd edition set in the 2050s to 2060s, but my memories are fuzzy, and there seems to be precious few references about it on the interwebs. Not sure how canon the events from that campaign are either.

Most comprehensive listing of the module publications from the VS campaign that I have found: http://rpggeek.com/rpgseries/19056/virtual-seattle

Also doesn't help that internet use wasn't as widespread at the time. A lot of the modules were distrbuted by physical mail, with event coordinators photocopying additional copies as needed, so many don't exist in digital format.

-k

+Quote Post
JesterZero
post Jun 7 2014, 07:05 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Huh. I wasn't aware of that, thanks.

It looks like some of the Virtual Seattle modules were later recycled in SRM; at least the titles and authors of a few are identical. I'll dig into that when I get a chance and see what can be added to the list. Given that there's probably little to no hope of being able to collect a lot of them at this point, I'll give them their own Genre category so that they can be easily filtered.

Thanks again.

+Quote Post
lokii
post Jun 7 2014, 11:14 PM
Post #21

Keeper of the Timeline Maps

Member No.: 19,243

I recently started a database for the Shadowhelix wiki: http://shadowhelix.pegasus.de/Shadowhelix:Datenbank The project page is in German, but the descriptors and content (where applicable) is in English and I will also use it for the Shadowrun Wikia wiki. Though I've already begun to fill the database I'm still in the concept phase, this is just a starting point. Your list will be useful for adding or checking data.

Some suggestions:

You might want to include catalog numbers in the various online resources for some of these publications. I have this information in the "sources_catalog" table with DriveThru, Amazon and RPGGeek IDs so far. If you are interested I could create a table that has labels instead of the numeric ID of the source. The stock number might also be an addition to consider, but those I have not yet in the database.

The method I envision to represent what you call "genre" requires some effort. Ideally I think one would count the number of pages of a publication for location fluff, rules, equipment and so on and give a percentage for each type. So something like 50% adventure, 50% location for the NAN books to give an example.

Finally, this is the Shadowhelix category for English sources: http://shadowhelix.pegasus.de/Kategorie:Qu..._%28Englisch%29 if you want to check with another list. This includes short stories and a few apocryphal sources though.

+Quote Post
JesterZero
post Jun 9 2014, 07:50 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

I actually made a deliberate choice not to include SKU or ISBN data in the list. If folks want to include that, they're welcome to springboard off of my version of the list and create their own. That's absolutely fine, and no one needs my approval or permission to just grab the whole thing and sprint off into pet project territory.

The GENRE tag is designed to meet my own needs for some projects I'm working on. I'm sure other folks have different categorization schemes that they prefer. Again, that's fine. People should feel free to grab a copy and start making changes to something they like better.

At this point, the priorities are 1) adding new products as they appear (such as Bullets & Bandages), 2) correcting incorrect or incomplete data (as happened when Patrick was kind enough to point out that Sail Away Sweet Sister was more retro than I realized), and 3) include products that were missed (such as KarmaInferno's little bombshell re: Virtual Seattle; that's still pending BTW).

Anything much beyond that simply isn't in the cards right now, given other demands on my time. However, you are welcome to spin off your own version (and it sounds like you already are doing just that).

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Jun 10 2014, 11:51 PM
Post #23

Tilting at Windmills

Member No.: 388

QUOTE (JesterZero @ Jun 6 2014, 04:30 PM) *
Fixed. Date should now be correct and no longer marked as inferred.

Thanks Patrick; I appreciate the input.

De nada. Another Rainy Night is set almost entirely in one day in October 2073; I think it's still showing up as "inferred" in your list.

+Quote Post
JesterZero
post Jun 11 2014, 06:43 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Jun 10 2014, 03:51 PM) *
De nada. Another Rainy Night is set almost entirely in one day in October 2073; I think it's still showing up as "inferred" in your list.

It was, but no longer. It has now been legitimized with all the formality that black text can muster.

Thanks again!

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Jul 4 2014, 07:07 PM
Post #25

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,589

If you you have nothing against the idea, I'd like to link your work from my SR page, as well as to preserve local copies in case your own original work goes offline.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:47 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.