IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> What spells are the most useful/absolutely necessary to have [4e], I've never played a mage before, I'm over my head here.
Twizzler
post Jun 13 2014, 08:18 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 189,452

Hey everyone, it's me again. I am currently developing a mage character, but seeing as how I've never played a mage character before, especially not in Shadowrun, I've come here to ask for some help in selecting appropriate spells.

Here is my mythweavers character sheet: http://www.myth-weavers.com/sheetview.php?sheetid=925594

As well as my chummer character sheet: https://www.dropbox.com/s/w6yrym5lneus3s2/Dr.%20Acula.chum

As well as suggesting spells that I should have in my Grimoire, any comments, questions, or concerns about the mess I've probably made with the rest of my character is always welcome.

Especially seeing as how I like lack gear. (I also like gear though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) )

Thanks for your help!

P.S. Quick question, while I was reading up on magic, I read something about toxic, blood, and necromancy-type magic, but became confused. I didn't see what effect that any of them had on game play. Toxic had its own spirits, yes. And blood magic had a few metamagic options (which is another aspect I am entirely unsure of) and they didn't really go much into the necromancy aspect of any of it. I'm just unsure of how toxic magic really has an effect on the game play. Regardless, I thought being "toxic" would help reinforce my character's self image of insanity, even if his and others' definition of insanity are different. Lol.

Also, if you are wondering why I picked Insect tradition, to be honest, it seemed cool. Hive mind seemed like a cool power, and the fact that the spirits where named something besides "spirit of man" or "spirit of fire" helped.

Thanks again!

EDIT: I forgot to mention, the BP for character development is 500!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jun 13 2014, 08:33 AM
Post #2

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

Traditionally speaking, both toxic AND insect traditions are for Those Guys Over There, not for player characters. It's like being a Sith in Star Wars or a cultist in Call of Cthulu, servants of the Wyrm in Werewolf or that sort of thing; terrible dark flavor stuff that's there for NPCs, not PCs. They're the servants of otherworldly powers that are, all in all, very bad for humanity, and are universally reviled by all and sundry (except those who've lost their mind and been drawn into...they're the unrepentant bad guys that everyone else in the setting bands together to fight, they're not really player character material.

If you and your GM are on-board for a very alternative campaign, I guess knock yourself out, but it sounds, instead, like you kind of stumbled across it by accident, so you might want a heads up. You're basically making a double-whammy of both of the traditionally "woah, no way" villainous options in this game. Toxics are fallen spellcasters who have warped themselves and gone insane, perverting the beliefs of their mentor spirits and magical traditions, going psycho and slaughtering humanity like magical serial killers. Insect Spirits (and those who follow them) are literally trying to colonize the planet and take it over by turning it into a bunch of giant bug nests, planting magical seeds in the bodies of sacrificed humans (willing and otherwise) to give birth to horrific insect-human hybrids.

This is not a character, in other words, that will go over well with anyone who's more familiar with the setting than you, and is as such very likely to be either dismissed out of hand by a GM, or terrible disruptive to a campaign; and in neither instance -- Toxic OR Insect, much less both -- are you making something that's meant to be a player character, by the rules.

+Quote Post
Machiavelli
post Jun 13 2014, 09:01 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,749

Dr.Acula? Really? Too much Scrubs? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Here my standard-repertoire in spells:

- Manabolt and/or Stunbolt (for living beings)
- Energybolt (for drones, etc.)
- Manaball (area-effect)
- Heal
- Improved invisibility
- Physical Mask
- Control Thoughts
- Levitation

+Quote Post
Twizzler
post Jun 13 2014, 09:11 AM
Post #4

Target

QUOTE (Critias @ Jun 13 2014, 04:33 AM) *
Traditionally speaking, both toxic AND insect traditions are for Those Guys Over There, not for player characters. It's like being a Sith in Star Wars or a cultist in Call of Cthulu, servants of the Wyrm in Werewolf or that sort of thing; terrible dark flavor stuff that's there for NPCs, not PCs. They're the servants of otherworldly powers that are, all in all, very bad for humanity, and are universally reviled by all and sundry (except those who've lost their mind and been drawn into...they're the unrepentant bad guys that everyone else in the setting bands together to fight, they're not really player character material.

If you and your GM are on-board for a very alternative campaign, I guess knock yourself out, but it sounds, instead, like you kind of stumbled across it by accident, so you might want a heads up. You're basically making a double-whammy of both of the traditionally "woah, no way" villainous options in this game. Toxics are fallen spellcasters who have warped themselves and gone insane, perverting the beliefs of their mentor spirits and magical traditions, going psycho and slaughtering humanity like magical serial killers. Insect Spirits (and those who follow them) are literally trying to colonize the planet and take it over by turning it into a bunch of giant bug nests, planting magical seeds in the bodies of sacrificed humans (willing and otherwise) to give birth to horrific insect-human hybrids.

This is not a character, in other words, that will go over well with anyone who's more familiar with the setting than you, and is as such very likely to be either dismissed out of hand by a GM, or terrible disruptive to a campaign; and in neither instance -- Toxic OR Insect, much less both -- are you making something that's meant to be a player character, by the rules.

Ah, okay. The book said that they were insane, but I didn't really have any context for that statement. So I'll have to change my tradition. Thanks again for explaining it to me.

So how about the path of the dead, or shadow spirits? Or is that just as bad?

+Quote Post
Twizzler
post Jun 13 2014, 09:14 AM
Post #5

Target

QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Jun 13 2014, 05:01 AM) *

You caught me! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I couldn't think of a name for my character yet, so I went with a classic.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Jun 13 2014, 09:32 AM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

QUOTE (Twizzler @ Jun 13 2014, 04:11 AM) *
Ah, okay. The book said that they were insane, but I didn't really have any context for that statement. So I'll have to change my tradition. Thanks again for explaining it to me.

So how about the path of the dead, or shadow spirits? Or is that just as bad?

Just as bad, really. As a first-time mage, I advise you to stick to the "core" traditions: shamanic or Hermetic. There's enough give in both archetypes that they can fit the vast majority of spellslingers in one or the other, and you don't need to worry about any special rules or unintended setting-breaking.

+Quote Post
Meatbag
post Jun 13 2014, 09:48 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,603

You want:

Manabolt (or Stunbolt)

Manaball (Or stunball)

Powerbolt.

---^ These are Combat spells. Direct spells are good because your target can't really do shit about them without Counterspelling. I like Stunbolt/ball over Manabolt/Ball because alive enemies are more useful than dead ones, and it's harder to resist Stun. Powerbolt is for machines, you can skip it if you trust the team to handle drones.

Improved Invisibility/Physical Mask/Both.

Levitate.

---^ Sneaky sneaky, for you or a teammate. Most missions involve somebody being somewhere they shouldn't be, so these rock!

Mind Probe

Alter Memory

----^ This is *why* living enemies are more useful than dead ones. You can get a lot of intel from the right unconscious target, and they won't remember the part about you knocking them cold and dragging them down a dark alley.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Jun 13 2014, 09:52 AM
Post #8

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

QUOTE (Machiavelli @ Jun 13 2014, 04:01 AM) *

Here my standard-repertoire in spells:

- Manabolt and/or Stunbolt (for living beings)
- Energybolt (for drones, etc.)
- Manaball (area-effect)
- Heal
- Improved invisibility
- Physical Mask
- Control Thoughts
- Levitation

Adding to this list, I have some options... But first a very important question.

Do you have a hacker and/or a technomancer in the group?

If so, you can synergize with them - especially the technomancer - in very powerful (read: some GMs will ban this outright) ways.

Here's how it works. If you're making a Magician, you already know about Drain - it's what hits you when you do stuff. The game is very, very clear in telling you that you absolutely cannot under any circumstances cure damage taken through Drain with magic.

Fading is basically Drain, For Technomancers... But whether through intent or omission, it lacks the language that prohibits in absolutely no uncertain terms using magic to cure it. Meanwhile, Technomancers are basically computer magicians, they can compile sprites (summon spirits) and other shit that can be brokenly powerful... But Fading is the opportunity cost.

And then you patch them right back up with a custom spell which cures Stun damage, and they can do it again.

The Decker will also appreciate this when they take any biofeedback damage, such as by being nailed by Blackout or dumpshocked, and so will anyone else who takes stun, such as, say, by being on the receiving end of a burst of Stick 'n Shock, but a magician who can heal Fading and a Technomancer can force-multiply logarithmically. (Having a medtech on hand, even just a drone, to heal your Drain, can turn this into a circlejerk of awesomeness, spewing awesome-sauce everywhere.)

Other than that.. Orgasm/Orgy are great spells for easily disabling people without stunbolting them unconscious, and they're full of mundane utility to boot.

+Quote Post
Meatbag
post Jun 13 2014, 03:18 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,603

Oh. and on mad mages? There aren't any (non-horrible) Traditions that self-identify as insane, because..Well, insanity doesn't usually lend itself to structured belief systems, which is what Traditions are. Individual mages can be madmen, though, and there's room for all kinds of eccentric individuals even in the two broad core traditions.

A mad shaman still believes that power comes from communion with spirits. and that spirits are beings worthy of respect. The fact that he consults a tree growing in the park for wisdom, and allows a teeming den of rats to live in his house so as not to offend his totem animal? That's all on him.

An insane Hermetic Mage still thinks that magic has rules, it works according to ritual and formula, and spirits are..Usually means to an end, not "people". The fact that he once cut open a cat so he could try to catch its soul in a canopic jar? Or his meticulous obsession with fivefold symmetry and pentacle shapes? That's all just his damage, mostly.

Either one of them could have a "mentor spirit" that's actually a vivid hallucination, or an *actual* mentor spirit that they keep dismissing as a hallucination. A trickster spirit would probably work best, since they're more likely to be amused than offended.

+Quote Post
Surukai
post Jun 13 2014, 03:27 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,046

As previous poster mentioned, picking the clear "Not player character material" background makes it very difficult to make good suggestions so I'll just assume you'll pick a normal mage or shaman for my suggestions.

I have three considerations that are good to know.

Damage
For damage, look at the various options for direct spells. All three types (Power*, stun* and mana*) works great and have very distinct uses. If you want to go for just one, stunbolt is most flexible since it is supreme at disabling targets and is very effective at murdering people too if needed.
If I want to have a good object destruction option shatter (Power type, touch range) is excellent but powerbolt is more flexible.

A good trio that I tend to go for is: Powerbolt (For destroying objects), stunball (For aoe), stunbolt (for single target).

Indirect spells are broken by design. They are only useful for experienced players that know how to make use of lightning crowd control.

Buffs
Most "Buff" spells can safely be ignored. They need some special treatment to work. Since you get a -2 penalty to all* actions while sustaining a spell you should try go for things you can keep in sustaining foci, or as spirit services (Spirit of Man Innate spell power).

The one buff spell that is critical for all mages is increase reflexes. It is very important to stay on level with the rest of the group in terms of action economy.

Other than that, be gentle with buffs. If you walk around abusing spirit buffing you or look like an astral christmas tree with too many foci it draws attention and even more importantly, aggro at your character. Both from GMs and other players.

Also, consider drugs as a good backup for initiative passes boosts. Cram, Jazz etc.

Fun utility
There are far more fun utility spells that helps you and your team get around that I suggest looking at. Levitate, Ice sheet, Mana Barrier, shape shift, elemental wall, elemental aura ...

Ice sheet in particular is very fun. It is a good knockdown spell, it has much use to stop vehicles and people from running and it is quite fun without being broken or boring.

spells to avoid include Mob mind, Mind probe and to some extend Influence (Even if that one is actually okay if used creatively). Not because they are bad (they are not, they are flat out over powered) but because they tend to ruin most adventures, gameplay and challenge. Mind controlling targets to deny them to defend against your attacks and to make them shoot their friends is an order of magnitude more effective than trying to deal damage or debuff a target.
It is so effective that it will make your character a constant nuisance for the entire group and brings no amount of fun to the table. (much like playing possession, toxic, blood, insect or shadow based characters. Seriously, it isn't cool. Not unless your friend Street sam can play a magic immune cyberzombie to match (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) )

+Quote Post
Blade
post Jun 13 2014, 06:08 PM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

The basic spell list has already been given, and it's definitely the best "no-brainers" spells.

But there are less common spell lists that can also be extremely useful. I remember someone who played a mage who only had "Shape" spells, but for the most common elements. With some creativity, this character could do really amazing stuff.

If you can think out of the box, you can be very useful with uncommon spells, even more so if you use the spell design rules to create interesting variations to the basic spells.

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Jun 13 2014, 07:07 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

it's worth noting that while the book calls something a spirit of man, that isn't necessarily what a given tradition will call the spirit. christian mages typically associate different spirits with types of angels (cherubim, seraphim, etc). voodoun associate spirits with a certain loa. shaman is an incredibly broad category, and they likely wouldn't call anything a "beast spirit" except as a broad category... far more likely that they would summon what they would consider to be the spirit of a mountain lion or a wolf (mechanically it's basically the same though). they don't call on earth spirits, they call on the spirit of a mountain, or a sacred hill, or something like that. they don't call water spirits, they have river spirits and lake spirits, some of which they might even give names attached to spirits that were associated with certain areas in whatever legends they know.

SR3 did a much better job of breaking down the spirits a shaman will conjure into different groups. it also had rules that shamans could only conjure spirits, and only in an appropriate environment, though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) (so for example, if you called on a spirit that lives in a forest, you had to be in a forest, and the spirit wouldn't leave the forest). that was all dropped to simplify the magic system, i think. but if you can get your hands on a copy.

even with SR4, you've still got some options available, though... you could summon a spirit of the desert wind, and choose sand for your elemental attack instead of the lightning that many people would typically assign to an air spirit. you could roleplay that their concealment power clouds the mind like a desert mirage, while a storm spirit would shoot lightning and their concealment would look like clouds (at least, in the astral. possibly in the physical world too, if your GM doesn't mind ruling that it clouds the mind as well).

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Jun 13 2014, 07:29 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,437

Why no one said Slow from War! yet? *runs for cover* (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 13 2014, 08:07 PM
Post #14

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Blade @ Jun 13 2014, 11:08 AM) *
The basic spell list has already been given, and it's definitely the best "no-brainers" spells.

But there are less common spell lists that can also be extremely useful. I remember someone who played a mage who only had "Shape" spells, but for the most common elements. With some creativity, this character could do really amazing stuff.

If you can think out of the box, you can be very useful with uncommon spells, even more so if you use the spell design rules to create interesting variations to the basic spells.

I just finished playing a character with this motif... Was immensely fun to play.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 13 2014, 08:09 PM
Post #15

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Jaid @ Jun 13 2014, 12:07 PM) *
it's worth noting that while the book calls something a spirit of man, that isn't necessarily what a given tradition will call the spirit. christian mages typically associate different spirits with types of angels (cherubim, seraphim, etc). voodoun associate spirits with a certain loa. shaman is an incredibly broad category, and they likely wouldn't call anything a "beast spirit" except as a broad category... far more likely that they would summon what they would consider to be the spirit of a mountain lion or a wolf (mechanically it's basically the same though). they don't call on earth spirits, they call on the spirit of a mountain, or a sacred hill, or something like that. they don't call water spirits, they have river spirits and lake spirits, some of which they might even give names attached to spirits that were associated with certain areas in whatever legends they know.

SR3 did a much better job of breaking down the spirits a shaman will conjure into different groups. it also had rules that shamans could only conjure spirits, and only in an appropriate environment, though (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) (so for example, if you called on a spirit that lives in a forest, you had to be in a forest, and the spirit wouldn't leave the forest). that was all dropped to simplify the magic system, i think. but if you can get your hands on a copy.

even with SR4, you've still got some options available, though... you could summon a spirit of the desert wind, and choose sand for your elemental attack instead of the lightning that many people would typically assign to an air spirit. you could roleplay that their concealment power clouds the mind like a desert mirage, while a storm spirit would shoot lightning and their concealment would look like clouds (at least, in the astral. possibly in the physical world too, if your GM doesn't mind ruling that it clouds the mind as well).

I do a LOT of re-fluffing based upon Traditions and expectations. Works really well, in my opinion. That is the Strength of SR4, in my opinion... A Unified system that can easily be re-fluffed with no further complexity added in. All the mechanics are the same, regardless. . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
psychophipps
post Jun 14 2014, 12:54 AM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 11,613

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jun 13 2014, 02:09 PM) *
I do a LOT of re-fluffing based upon Traditions and expectations. Works really well, in my opinion. That is the Strength of SR4, in my opinion... A Unified system that can easily be re-fluffed with no further complexity added in. All the mechanics are the same, regardless. . (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

What I liked about it as well. It's a great, simple dice engine. To be honest, I stripped it down even further by making all bonuses added dice and all penalties being modifiers to the threshold.

+Quote Post
Twizzler
post Jun 14 2014, 01:04 AM
Post #17

Target

QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Jun 13 2014, 03:29 PM) *
Why no one said Slow from War! yet? *runs for cover* (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I just read up on that spell, are you telling me it stops bullets, or just slows them down enough that they do no damage?

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jun 14 2014, 01:17 AM
Post #18

Freelance Elf

Shhh. It's best to just forget it ever happened.

+Quote Post
FuelDrop
post Jun 14 2014, 01:22 AM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 53,300

The single must-have spell for 4th edition is shapechange:

Need to get away quickly? Turn into a bird and fly away. Underwater mission? Shark. Need to recon a suburban area? Stray cat or dog will do the job for you.

Now the important thing about how Shapechange works is that it increases the target's base ability score, rather than their augmented score. With edge and a good dicepool, this means that it becomes one of the most powerful buff spells in the game. Add to that the fact that an unarmed adept in the party can be improved massively by turning them into a horse. Seriously, horse is one of the best bang for your buck combat forms in the game.

Now you can't turn things into other metahumans as far as I know, but if you want to be a bit sneaky try turning your friendly neighborhood troll into a bear. Still about the same size so their armor should still fit, and their paws are still fairly prehensile so with some custom modification his guns should still be workable.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jun 14 2014, 01:23 AM
Post #20

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Slow is a ludicrously unbalanced spell in a book that is full of lots of other stupid stuff. If your GM allows it, then take it, I guess... kind of a no-brainer then.

Machiavelli and Meatbag covered the core must-have spells, mostly, and my list would be about the same. The only thing I would add is Increase Reflexes, because extra initiative passes are so useful. Armor is kind of a trap option - it gives you protection, but it makes you glow, which can draw enemy fire, to the point where you would have been better off not using it.

+Quote Post
SpellBinder
post Jun 14 2014, 01:52 AM
Post #21

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 17,653

For +1 to the drain you can have Body Glove (from Land Of Promise, page 23) that does the same as Armor without the glow.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Jun 14 2014, 07:28 AM
Post #22

Freelance Elf

In SR4, at least. A non-glowy Armor hasn't made it into SR5 just yet.

I'm a big fan of Increase Body, myself, when you're out to buff someone prior to sending them into the line of fire. Comparable defensive assistance, additional health tracks, no glowing, and less Drain than Armor.

+Quote Post
Twizzler
post Jun 14 2014, 07:45 AM
Post #23

Target

How about foci? What should I get for those?

+Quote Post
Kyrel
post Jun 14 2014, 08:24 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,583

Personally I'd suggest that you forget about "must have" spells, and look at who your character is, and then considder which spells it make sense that this character have learned. There are plenty of useful spells to choose from, and the more creative you are, the more useful most of them can become. If you are only looking for efficiency, go with some of the replies you've received above. But if you want a more roleplay oriented approach, go for some spells that fit the character, and trust in your creativity to make them useful during runs.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jun 14 2014, 09:26 AM
Post #25

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

For foci, power foci are the most versatile and overall useful. Sustaining foci and counterspelling foci are good as well, but depending on how fast you can advance/earn money in the game, it might be better to wait until you can afford higher-rated sustaining foci, or initiate and get the more useful shielding focus, rather than the counterspelling focus (which is limited to only one type of spell).

Don't forget about conjuring, either. Spirits can be very useful, and are very tough at mid-to-high force.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 02:18 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.