IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Mapping for Shadowrun, Looking to get info about what people use to make maps for their games
Warderbrad
post Sep 20 2014, 07:26 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 190,264

Hello,
I have a full version of Fractal Mapper 8 and have used that for many fantasy setting games. However I started mapping a building for a Shadowrun game and realized I had no standard images to make up the interior of the buildings nor some of the exterior stuff.

I am interested to know how others make maps for their games. Specifically if anyone knows a good (and hopefully cheap) source of images used in mapping software. Specifically images used in doing interiors of buildings (things from bathroom stuff: Toilets and sinks, to desks and such for offices and so on) and outdoor stuff that would be unique to a modern day setting (things like cars and trucks, cargo containers, traffic signals, lamp posts and other things that would be different in modern games than fantasy)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Shaidar
post Sep 26 2014, 09:45 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,262

I typically work from scratch with SketchUp in 3D, but then again I have a degree in Computer-Aided Design Drafting. For outdoor stuff modern media (Internet and Print) should be a good starting point.

+Quote Post
Mystweaver
post Sep 26 2014, 11:03 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,383

For general map layouts I allow my players to use Google maps which I have displayed on a second screen while playing (I use my laptop while gaming for all my notes).

For internal layouts of buildings, I do one of two things.

Firstly I have done many searches for building layouts and saved them for future reference. I then just pick one I like the look of for in game and display it again on the secondary screen.

If I need to use it in a more detailed way, I will draw it out on a whiteboard with the secondary screen display as reference. This works well if there are multiple buildings/floors involved. This is a little time consuming though.

What I plan to do is get a cheap projector and have it downward facing so it projects onto the table (which is the whiteboard). But I don't want to spend more that £200 on said projector which is difficult because I also want something that is half decent as well.

+Quote Post
bannockburn
post Sep 26 2014, 12:05 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 51,886

Maybe this and this is of interest, too.

+Quote Post
Mystweaver
post Sep 26 2014, 12:16 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,383

QUOTE (bannockburn @ Sep 26 2014, 01:05 PM) *
Maybe this and this is of interest, too.

Awesomesauce! Thank you

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:00 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.