Reply to this topicStart new topic
> ShadowTK
pdboddy
post Mar 28 2015, 12:25 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 13,157

This is a question for the older players. Does anyone know if there exists an archive of the ShadowTK mailing list from its heyday back in the '90s? Bonus points if you can answer the same for ShadowRN and ShadowGM.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Bull
post Mar 28 2015, 01:14 AM
Post #2

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

If anyone would have it, it'd be Mark Imbriaco (Neuron Basher). I'll ask, though I doubt it.

Ahhh, TK... I have fond memories. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
pdboddy
post Mar 28 2015, 01:17 AM
Post #3

Target

QUOTE (Bull @ Mar 27 2015, 09:14 PM) *
If anyone would have it, it'd be Mark Imbriaco (Neuron Basher). I'll ask, though I doubt it.

Ahhh, TK... I have fond memories. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

As always, you rock sir! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Yeah, I have been roaming the old highways of seizure inducing archived Geocities pages, and making use of the wayback machine to try and find an archive. No luck yet, though I have many old links.

I was pointed here by Gurth, and Mark's name was mentioned so... Keeping my fingers crossed.

Nostalgia's great, isn't it?

+Quote Post
Bull
post Mar 28 2015, 01:28 AM
Post #4

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

QUOTE (pdboddy @ Mar 27 2015, 09:17 PM) *

Yeah, I have been roaming the old highways of seizure inducing archived Geocities pages, and making use of the wayback machine to try and find an archive. No luck yet, though I have many old links.

I was pointed here by Gurth, and Mark's name was mentioned so... Keeping my fingers crossed.

It's funny. A couple nights ago I was reminiscing on Facebook and digging through some of my old web page files. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Anyway, talked to Mark. He has the original servers in his garage, but they haven't been turned on in years, so he has no idea if they would even still work. He thinks he has backups somewhere, but isn't sure where, but apparently we piqued his curiosity, so he's gonna look. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
pdboddy
post Mar 28 2015, 01:30 AM
Post #5

Target

QUOTE (Bull @ Mar 27 2015, 09:28 PM) *
It's funny. A couple nights ago I was reminiscing on Facebook and digging through some of my old web page files. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Anyway, talked to Mark. He has the original servers in his garage, but they haven't been turned on in years, so he has no idea if they would even still work. He thinks he has backups somewhere, but isn't sure where, but apparently we piqued his curiosity, so he's gonna look. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Thanks Bull! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) And pass along my thanks to Mark as well. Hopefully a bit of nostalgia can be payment enough. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Neuron Basher
post Mar 28 2015, 01:31 AM
Post #6

The Ghost in our Machine

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 52

QUOTE (pdboddy @ Mar 27 2015, 10:17 PM) *

I'm pretty sure I have that old data somewhere, I just have to find it. I know I have the old servers in my garage, so if nothing else I can probably yank the drives out of them and mount them. I'll see what I can find.

+Quote Post
pdboddy
post Mar 28 2015, 01:41 AM
Post #7

Target

QUOTE (Neuron Basher @ Mar 27 2015, 09:31 PM) *
I'm pretty sure I have that old data somewhere, I just have to find it. I know I have the old servers in my garage, so if nothing else I can probably yank the drives out of them and mount them. I'll see what I can find.

Thank you! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
ThatPaolo
post Mar 28 2015, 09:02 PM
Post #8

the Coke in the Machine

Member No.: 46

I have a ShadowTK archive (and really, ALL messages from ALL important Shadowrun mailing lists and forums from 1992 to early 2003) in a 1.3Gb database sitting on my home server.

Now, what format do you need them on? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
ThatPaolo
post Mar 28 2015, 09:03 PM
Post #9

the Coke in the Machine

Is my member number really lower than Bull? Wow, rockin' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
pdboddy
post Mar 29 2015, 04:31 AM
Post #10

Target

QUOTE (ThatPaolo @ Mar 28 2015, 05:02 PM) *
I have a ShadowTK archive (and really, ALL messages from ALL important Shadowrun mailing lists and forums from 1992 to early 2003) in a 1.3Gb database sitting on my home server.

Now, what format do you need them on? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Zip? XD

I don't know what the best way to transfer such a database. FTP maybe? Bittorrent?

+Quote Post
pdboddy
post Mar 29 2015, 04:33 AM
Post #11

Target

QUOTE (ThatPaolo @ Mar 28 2015, 05:03 PM) *
Is my member number really lower than Bull? Wow, rockin' (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Well, the person who is your avatar has been around a while.

+Quote Post
ThatPaolo
post Mar 29 2015, 05:23 AM
Post #12

the Coke in the Machine

QUOTE (pdboddy @ Mar 28 2015, 09:31 PM) *
Zip? XD

I don't know what the best way to transfer such a database. FTP maybe? Bittorrent?

The data is in an Access database. I could extract it with some queries or I could whip up a quick website to do searches on it (something I almost competed at dumpshock but never released)

+Quote Post
Bull
post Mar 29 2015, 06:38 AM
Post #13

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

I'm kinda curious as to who has the numbers lower than us, actually. Me, you, Dvix, Adam, Jestyr, Mark... Who else was here at the very beginning of Deep Resonance? I think Pistons and Spudman joined us a little while after we started up.

Were some of the lower members maybe SR character names we nabbed to prevent them from being used, maybe? Like Fastjack and Dunklezahn and the like?

+Quote Post
pdboddy
post Mar 29 2015, 01:37 PM
Post #14

Target

QUOTE (ThatPaolo @ Mar 29 2015, 12:23 AM) *
The data is in an Access database. I could extract it with some queries or I could whip up a quick website to do searches on it (something I almost competed at dumpshock but never released)

Uhm. Whichever works better/faster?

+Quote Post
Jaid
post Mar 29 2015, 05:47 PM
Post #15

Great Dragon

Member No.: 7,813

QUOTE (Bull @ Mar 29 2015, 01:38 AM) *
I'm kinda curious as to who has the numbers lower than us, actually. Me, you, Dvix, Adam, Jestyr, Mark... Who else was here at the very beginning of Deep Resonance? I think Pistons and Spudman joined us a little while after we started up.

Were some of the lower members maybe SR character names we nabbed to prevent them from being used, maybe? Like Fastjack and Dunklezahn and the like?

hmmm...

I'm gonna guess....

some of these people.

of course, I could be wrong (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Bull
post Mar 29 2015, 08:44 PM
Post #16

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

QUOTE (Jaid @ Mar 29 2015, 01:47 PM) *
hmmm...

I'm gonna guess....

some of these people.

of course, I could be wrong (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Yeah, join date doesn't quite work. Dumpshock (under it's original name Deep Resonance) has been around since... 1999 or so? At some point we switched over software and imported the database, IIRC, so there are several hundred members with that join date because of that. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Bull
post Mar 29 2015, 08:48 PM
Post #17

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Hehe. Doing that also shows just how conflated DS's Membership numbers are. Page after page of members who "joined" in 2002, but have 0 posts.

(To be fair, all forums get like that unless the admin prune those members periodically. I know we never did).

+Quote Post
hermit
post Mar 29 2015, 08:58 PM
Post #18

The King In Yellow

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,121

Hm. An archive of these old mailing lists would indeed be interesting, Paolo.

+Quote Post
pdboddy
post Mar 29 2015, 09:32 PM
Post #19

Target

QUOTE (hermit @ Mar 29 2015, 04:58 PM) *
Hm. An archive of these old mailing lists would indeed be interesting, Paolo.

Yeah, Gurth from the current ShadowRN mailing list is interested in the TK, RN, GM and plot ones if they still exist as an archive.

+Quote Post
Neuron Basher
post Mar 29 2015, 09:45 PM
Post #20

The Ghost in our Machine

QUOTE (Bull @ Mar 29 2015, 03:38 AM) *

Pretty sure you nailed it with the initial crew. I would have been first since I installed the software, but we were all there right at the beginning.

We did reserve a few, but it also looks like some member numbers have been adjusted. Not really a big deal, we're all old timers at this point. Hard to believe it was 1992 when I created the first Shadowrun related web site and then Paolo came along and made a much better one not long thereafter. Ah, the good old days. We need a reunion tour. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Neuron Basher
post Mar 29 2015, 09:50 PM
Post #21

The Ghost in our Machine

Also, I found the old drive that the site ran on. It was an IDE drive, and I don't have a computer with an IDE interface anymore, so I had to order a USB to IDE adapter. Got that today and I was able to pull the raw original logs from 1992-1999 off of it.

The newer archives were running on a VMware ESX virtual machine and I'm pulling the VMDK files off of that drive right now to see if modern VMware can read them. Stay tuned!

+Quote Post
pdboddy
post Mar 29 2015, 10:59 PM
Post #22

Target

QUOTE (Neuron Basher @ Mar 29 2015, 04:50 PM) *
Also, I found the old drive that the site ran on. It was an IDE drive, and I don't have a computer with an IDE interface anymore, so I had to order a USB to IDE adapter. Got that today and I was able to pull the raw original logs from 1992-1999 off of it.

The newer archives were running on a VMware ESX virtual machine and I'm pulling the VMDK files off of that drive right now to see if modern VMware can read them. Stay tuned!

Sweet, dude, you're awesome! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
pdboddy
post Mar 29 2015, 11:00 PM
Post #23

Target

QUOTE (Neuron Basher @ Mar 29 2015, 04:45 PM) *
Pretty sure you nailed it with the initial crew. I would have been first since I installed the software, but we were all there right at the beginning.

We did reserve a few, but it also looks like some member numbers have been adjusted. Not really a big deal, we're all old timers at this point. Hard to believe it was 1992 when I created the first Shadowrun related web site and then Paolo came along and made a much better one not long thereafter. Ah, the good old days. We need a reunion tour. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Well, Shadowrun is from 1989, so you were there right at the start. I still have one of the first BBB in Ottawa. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) I wonder how dated SR1 is...

+Quote Post
Neuron Basher
post Mar 30 2015, 02:52 AM
Post #24

The Ghost in our Machine

Yup, I have an original hardcover SR1 on the bookshelf upstairs.

So, good news! All the archives from 1992-2007 are now available and shared in a single ~400MB zip file that will expand to around 1.3GB when you unzip it. There are various formats and some amount of duplication where messages exist both as HTML and as mbox files, but all the content should be there.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/togu0ymqwz37c5x/archives.zip?dl=0

Hope everyone enjoys the trip down memory lane!

Remember, never trust an elf and never deal with a dragon.

+Quote Post
ThatPaolo
post Mar 30 2015, 03:44 AM
Post #25

the Coke in the Machine

QUOTE (Neuron Basher @ Mar 29 2015, 06:52 PM) *
Yup, I have an original hardcover SR1 on the bookshelf upstairs.

So, good news! All the archives from 1992-2007 are now available and shared in a single ~400MB zip file that will expand to around 1.3GB when you unzip it. There are various formats and some amount of duplication where messages exist both as HTML and as mbox files, but all the content should be there.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/togu0ymqwz37c5x/archives.zip?dl=0

Hope everyone enjoys the trip down memory lane!

Remember, never trust an elf and never deal with a dragon.

Sweet, thank you (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 11:08 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.