IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> AI Advanced Program, What if they have rating?
Uli
post Aug 11 2015, 07:16 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,291

So, because AIs are too posh to buy programs, they create their own for 5 Karma each which also serve as prerequisites for advanced programs. One of my favorite advanced programs is WTLM which allows the AI to imitate the movement style of metahuman (walker drone) operators. Awesome! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

However Maneuver is an autosoft with a rating. Which rating do I get when create my own program?

Data Trails p. 157f
AIs would never deign to purchase programs on the open market; instead, they make their own programs and advanced programs, similar to the way technomancers make complex forms. They start programming on their own and make a Software + Intuition [Mental] Test; divide 12 by the number hits on the test to get the number of days it takes to learn it. AIs then spend 5 Karma to learn a regular program, 8 to learn an advanced program.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Sn00py
post Aug 11 2015, 09:54 AM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 196,679

I'd probably go with the number of hits scored on the test, capped by the mental limit. But that could seem a little unfair if you roll badly and have to spend all that karma for a crappy rating 1 prog...

+Quote Post
Uli
post Aug 11 2015, 01:56 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,291

Interesting idea, but the results would be quite crappy. You could use Depth, although that is usually not very high either. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/indifferent.gif)

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post Aug 11 2015, 04:12 PM
Post #4

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,216

Or treat it as a variation of Emulation (pg 149 Unwired) where they are copying the progs for their biowire and make it a Software + Intuition [Mental] (Rating) Test to get that higher rating version.

If you feel the threshold at Rating is a bit too steep, chop it to (Rating/2) but that would be the lowest I would suggest going.

For costing to 'learn' it, I would go with 8 Karma base for the equivalent of the advanced program plus 1 karma per point of Rating

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 5th May 2024 - 11:16 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.