Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AI Advanced Program
Dumpshock Forums > Discussion > Shadowrun
Uli
So, because AIs are too posh to buy programs, they create their own for 5 Karma each which also serve as prerequisites for advanced programs. One of my favorite advanced programs is WTLM which allows the AI to imitate the movement style of metahuman (walker drone) operators. Awesome! biggrin.gif

However Maneuver is an autosoft with a rating. Which rating do I get when create my own program?

Data Trails p. 157f
AIs would never deign to purchase programs on the open market; instead, they make their own programs and advanced programs, similar to the way technomancers make complex forms. They start programming on their own and make a Software + Intuition [Mental] Test; divide 12 by the number hits on the test to get the number of days it takes to learn it. AIs then spend 5 Karma to learn a regular program, 8 to learn an advanced program.
Sn00py
I'd probably go with the number of hits scored on the test, capped by the mental limit. But that could seem a little unfair if you roll badly and have to spend all that karma for a crappy rating 1 prog...
Uli
Interesting idea, but the results would be quite crappy. You could use Depth, although that is usually not very high either. indifferent.gif
Sendaz
Or treat it as a variation of Emulation (pg 149 Unwired) where they are copying the progs for their biowire and make it a Software + Intuition [Mental] (Rating) Test to get that higher rating version.

If you feel the threshold at Rating is a bit too steep, chop it to (Rating/2) but that would be the lowest I would suggest going.

For costing to 'learn' it, I would go with 8 Karma base for the equivalent of the advanced program plus 1 karma per point of Rating
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Dumpshock Forums © 2001-2012