Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dumpshocked & Support of Dumpshock, Ad-Free
Redjack
post May 3 2016, 01:33 PM
Post #1

Man Behind the Curtain

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

Notice how Dumpshock is ad-free? We like it that way and want to keep it that way. But, even a free little board like this has operating costs. Ours are $25/month to the hosting company for the site and backups. I've moved the board several times over the years and am very happy with the current hosting provider.

Notice that some of the other members are in a group called "Dumpshocked" instead of "Members"? Those users have contributed one month (or more in some cases) of hosting fees towards the operation of Dumpshock. The last funding drive, from a number of years ago, ran drive long ago; I've simply been paying the tab out of pocket.

Here's what I'm asking. Help me keep Dumpshock ad-free: Contribute one-month of hosting fees ($25; paypal: redjack@dumpshock.com). I'll change your group to Dumpshocked. Send me a custom avatar and I'll link that to your account as well.

Heck I'm even open to changes around here to spark some new life into the place. Let me know your thoughts and help me keep Dumpshock around a few more years.

-Redjack
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
JanessaVR
post May 4 2016, 07:49 PM
Post #2

Awakened Master Ninja

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 10,844

Sounds reasonable. Just sent you $25.

Everyone else - time to step up. Dumpshock is a valuable resource, let's help keep it around.

Have you considered registering with Patreon? I'd be happy to add you to my "$1 a month" list.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post May 4 2016, 08:12 PM
Post #3

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

QUOTE (Redjack @ May 3 2016, 02:33 PM) *
Notice how Dumpshock is ad-free? We like it that way and want to keep it that way. But, even a free little board like this has operating costs. Ours are $25/month to the hosting company for the site and backups. I've moved the board several times over the years and am very happy with the current hosting provider.

Notice that some of the other members are in a group called "Dumpshocked" instead of "Members"? Those users have contributed one month (or more in some cases) of hosting fees towards the operation of Dumpshock. The last funding drive, from a number of years ago, ran drive long ago; I've simply been paying the tab out of pocket.

Here's what I'm asking. Help me keep Dumpshock ad-free: Contribute one-month of hosting fees ($25; paypal: redjack@dumpshock.com). I'll change your group to Dumpshocked. Send me a custom avatar and I'll link that to your account as well.

Heck I'm even open to changes around here to spark some new life into the place. Let me know your thoughts and help me keep Dumpshock around a few more years.

-Redjack

Send me some banking data via PM or something and i'll see about wiring you some monies.
Interest is at an all time low anyway, so the money loses its worth in my bank account, might as well support dumpshock with it . .
i do not do paypal.
and seeing how i am located in germany, moving money to other people/states is a bit more problematic than i'd like <.<

+Quote Post
Sendaz
post May 4 2016, 08:26 PM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 7,216

Donated ^___^

+Quote Post
Redjack
post May 4 2016, 08:41 PM
Post #5

Man Behind the Curtain

Appreciate the support.
I'll Look into the Patreon idea.

Are there other changes, within reason, that we could do? Or do you like it just the way it is, don't change anything?

-RJ

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post May 4 2016, 10:51 PM
Post #6

The ShadowComedian

QUOTE (Redjack @ May 4 2016, 10:41 PM) *
Appreciate the support.
I'll Look into the Patreon idea.

Are there other changes, within reason, that we could do? Or do you like it just the way it is, don't change anything?

-RJ

Don't you dare change anything.
We are Grognards, we react badly and maybe violently to sudden change.

Although, getting a bigger Message Storage would be nice for many i guess.
Well, if they were still using the Message Box System enough for them to make a difference at least.

+Quote Post
Redjack
post May 4 2016, 11:15 PM
Post #7

Man Behind the Curtain

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 4 2016, 05:51 PM) *
Hey! I resemble that remark.

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 4 2016, 05:51 PM) *
Although, getting a bigger Message Storage would be nice for many i guess.
Well, if they were still using the Message Box System enough for them to make a difference at least.
Message store doubled for Dumpshocked group members.

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post May 5 2016, 05:56 AM
Post #8

Runner

Member No.: 17,234

I will put some money in the til at my full size terminal.

+Quote Post
Prime Mover
post May 5 2016, 01:06 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 9,313

Donated. Patreon doesn't sound like bad idea, might even be able to fund some extras.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post May 5 2016, 02:33 PM
Post #10

The ShadowComedian

I have talked to my people to wire you some paypal monies.
Could take a few days though.

+Quote Post
binarywraith
post May 7 2016, 03:31 AM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Member No.: 18,659

I'll bite, this place has been good to me over the years.

I also highly recommend Patreon, if you haven't looked at it. I have a couple friends who are fanartists who pull in enough to pay for art supplies at least, if not occasional profit.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post May 7 2016, 11:26 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

As I said last time, DUmpshock certainly provides more SR goodness than any single book, so it's totally worth less than the cost of one (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

QUOTE (Redjack @ May 4 2016, 10:41 PM) *

HTTPS maybe?

+Quote Post
Kren Cooper
post May 11 2016, 11:39 AM
Post #13

Wordsmith

Member No.: 18,740

25 Nuyen coming right at you!
Thanks

+Quote Post
Iduno
post May 16 2016, 05:03 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,812

Glad to help. I've certainly gotten my nuyen's worth.

+Quote Post
binarywraith
post May 16 2016, 10:16 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Tossed it at you the other day, It'll be from my username @ gmail.

+Quote Post
Redjack
post May 17 2016, 03:48 AM
Post #16

Man Behind the Curtain

Thanks so much to all!

+Quote Post
Bodak
post May 19 2016, 12:28 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,015

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 5 2016, 06:12 AM) *
i do not do paypal.
Nor do I. They spam me with emails insisting I disclose personal details. I have been to their website to staunch the sporge but it says the only way to control email they send me is to sign up with them, and disclose personal details. I'm not going to sign up to stem their "sign up!" spam! So that's put them firmly on my "do not touch with a telescopic staff" killfile.

I have a friend who does use PayPal; you should have received a transaction with my handle as the subject (or something; I don't know how PayPal transactions work or what they look like).

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ May 5 2016, 08:51 AM) *
QUOTE (Redjack @ May 3 2016, 11:33 PM) *

I echo that sentient!

I was only registered briefly on the earlier incarnation of the forum (a couple of years at most) and my post-count here is lower than many*. Partly because I don't have thick skin for my hobby (no dermal deposits (IMG:style_emoticons/default/indifferent.gif) ) -- do you remember when ISPs would chase up reports of their customers swearing on usenet? More and more it seems civility is the exception rather than the rule... And partly because I get a great deal out of the (constructive) discussions here that show passion for a story setting regardless of (sometimes despite) rulesets imposed over it. As later editions are discussed and I have precious little time / motivation to learn a new system, I remain a happy little lurker, and contribute where I can, if I can. By not "upgrading", I know I'm less and less equipped to contribute anything new - but I've directed many people here over the years who were aspiring roleplayers or runners and I can count the number of sites that applies to on one finger.

I do have a number of suggestions though.
  1. the search feature blocks searches for phrases that include words of three or fewer letters. So it is not possible to search for "Hand of God", and searching merely for "Hand" isn't want you're looking for. Can you configure the search feature to proceed if there are four or more non-space, non-punctuation characters submitted in a quoted phrase? Better search means fewer duplicate questions we've covered before.
  2. in The ISCP thread ThatPaolo "removed all the dead links from the archive now" before people started pointing out that the Wayback Machine could have cached those pages and we can preserve them from its cache... but we need the links to do so. A backup of the archive prior to the links being purged would allow the community to work on this. Fatum made his/her own archive to preserve this information.
  3. in a similar vein, this thread being to "keep Dumpshock around a few more years" is realistically concerning. There are a number of places offering colocation of Raspberry Pi computers (often for free). I've set up mediawiki on RedSleeve on a RPi B and it is slow. Likely IP.Board would be a similar story. However, it would be cheaper. Would you consider making available (to "Dumpshocked" or freelancers only) a database dump every six months so that if at some point in the future maintaining Dumpshock becomes unworkable, some of us can pick up the torch? This wouldn't be as trivial as the backups you make at the moment: it would need to have passwords, email address, and board mail scrubbed prior to being made available. But it would mean we could set up static, read-only mirror sites of Dumpshock (even on a cheap RPi at a minimum) to preserve the wisdom concentrated here.
  4. speaking of which, do you still have the backups of the old forum? There were some stories and discussions there I really wish I still had access to. Like this one for example.
  5. now that high speed Internet access is more widely available than it was, say, back in 2002, (I am guessing your "Joined: 2-July 89" has been customised since Adam's profile says Feb 2002) and now that traffic to Dumpshock is less than it was and quota is cheaper than it was, would it be worthwhile to have dumpshock.com hosted on your own hardware with its IP address updated via dDNS? It'd be cheaper.

Just some ideas. Long live Dumpshock!

* Remember "Emo Samurai"? What he lacked in restraint he more than made up for in enthusiasm. Sometimes the whole of the first page of the forum showed only his polls! I even got him a portrait at one point...

+Quote Post
Redjack
post May 20 2016, 02:12 AM
Post #18

Man Behind the Curtain

QUOTE (Bodak @ May 19 2016, 06:28 AM) *
I have a friend who does use PayPal; you should have received a transaction with my handle as the subject (or something; I don't know how PayPal transactions work or what they look like).
I did get a Paypal from an email address not tied to a user today. Thanks!
Several people have said they added messages to the Paypal donations, but I'll be darned, I can't seem to find them. Seems to be even worse than Dumpshock's Search engine.

[*] the search feature blocks searches for phrases that include words of three or fewer letters. So it is not possible to search for "Hand of God", and searching merely for "Hand" isn't want you're looking for. Can you configure the search feature to proceed if there are four or more non-space, non-punctuation characters submitted in a quoted phrase? Better search means fewer duplicate questions we've covered before.
I think I'm going to try (when I get a chance) to perhaps link to google search. Google does search and it does it well. Far better than I could reinvent that wheel.

[*] in The ISCP thread ThatPaolo "removed all the dead links from the archive now" before people started pointing out that the Wayback Machine could have cached those pages and we can preserve them from its cache... but we need the links to do so. A backup of the archive prior to the links being purged would allow the community to work on this.
Last I remember, Mark tried to find backups from back then but couldn't.

[*] in a similar vein, this thread being to "keep Dumpshock around a few more years" is realistically concerning. There are a number of places offering colocation of Raspberry Pi computers (often for free). I've set up mediawiki on RedSleeve on a RPi B and it is slow. Likely IP.Board would be a similar story. However, it would be cheaper. Would you consider making available (to "Dumpshocked" or freelancers only) a database dump every six months so that if at some point in the future maintaining Dumpshock becomes unworkable, some of us can pick up the torch? This wouldn't be as trivial as the backups you make at the moment: it would need to have passwords, email address, and board mail scrubbed prior to being made available. But it would mean we could set up static, read-only mirror sites of Dumpshock (even on a cheap RPi at a minimum) to preserve the wisdom concentrated here.
At this point, the community is really stepping up to keep DS alive. If we ever get to the point where I begin to consider stepping away, I pledge to take the route Mark did and find a predecessor.

[*] speaking of which, do you still have the backups of the old forum? There were some stories and discussions there I really wish I still had access to. Like this one for example.
See above.

[*] now that high speed Internet access is more widely available than it was, say, back in 2002, (I am guessing your "Joined: 2-July 89" has been customised since Adam's profile says Feb 2002)
What? You don't believe that's legit? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

now that traffic to Dumpshock is less than it was and quota is cheaper than it was, would it be worthwhile to have dumpshock.com hosted on your own hardware with its IP address updated via dDNS? It'd be cheaper.
Sadly, the 90's called and they want my bandwidth back.

+Quote Post
binarywraith
post May 20 2016, 06:30 AM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Honestly, I have hopes for Dumpshock being a going concern again.

Unfortunately at this point I think it'll be sometime around when we see SR6, because SR5 seems to have sapped the life out of every community around SR I've been around.

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post May 20 2016, 07:21 AM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 17,234

Reddit seems really gung Ho for SR5. Like almost weirdly so, it's kinda creepy actually.

+Quote Post
JanessaVR
post May 20 2016, 05:04 PM
Post #21

Awakened Master Ninja

Member No.: 10,844

QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ May 19 2016, 11:21 PM) *
Reddit seems really gung Ho for SR5. Like almost weirdly so, it's kinda creepy actually.

Kids these days...

+Quote Post
binarywraith
post May 20 2016, 07:55 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Huh. I don't Reddit, but glad someone's enthusiastic about it!

+Quote Post
Bodak
post May 22 2016, 11:21 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

The Paypal payment would have had "energy" in its email address, but since it isn't my email address, that should be sufficient.

Excellent to use Google search if we can. If that doesn't work, please do consider tweaking the search configuration within the forum. Certain terms like FAB are hard to search for otherwise as they are used more often than people type out the whole Fluorescent Astral Bacteria term verbatim.

A number of times, Dumpshock have offered to proof-read and validate for free new source books prior to final print so that the material is professional and polished, more people buy it, more people play it, and we get to game more. Because in order to play, we need to make sense of the rules anyway; might as well make them make sense prior to publishing rather than having a FAQ released introducing new rules, instead of errata to cover a fraction of the contradictions Dumpshock exposes. This offer hasn't been taken up, to my knowledge, so it's a case of community to the rescue after the event instead. Cure > prevention.

QUOTE (Redjack @ May 20 2016, 12:12 PM) *
If we ever get to the point where I begin to consider stepping away, I pledge to take the route Mark did and find a predecessor.
It's more your successor(s) I'm thinking of actually. Sometimes when Reality rolls for initiative, there isn't time for smooth plans and not everyone gets to take an action.

When circumstances changed for someone on the other side of the screen, Earthdawn and Shadowrun history was lost. The community tried to save what was possible, but so much was dispersed or dumped in a remote town in a remote country before a conservation effort could be coordinated that not much (if any) made it through a scanner onto FTP and available for the community of the future.

When jive became unavailable, members of the community mirrored some of that content and the wayback machine archived it. When Plastic Rat's computer was being uncooperative members of the community offered mirrored hosting that is still making that content available today. Site admins are not immune to that fate and the community again comes to the rescue. Cure > prevention.

Last I remember, Mark tried to find backups from back then but couldn't.
They were variously at invision.dumpshock.com and jive.dumpshock.com/default/ (read-only) from 2003 to 2004 and two months in 2005:

Blackjack's archive pages were popular a decade ago as they still are in 2016:
QUOTE (Neuron Basher @ Feb 8 2005, 01:05 PM) *
Blackjack's stuff hasn't been updated in many years, but it does still exist on the hard drive from the previous server. I have not had the time to restore everything from that drive and get it all set back up yet, but those files do still exist. I'm going to try and get all the files organized and up on the server for all the missing sites at some point.
within weeks, Neuron Basher had delivered on that promise:
QUOTE (Neuron Basher @ Feb 27 2005, 01:39 PM) *
More of the Dumpshock.com content has finally been restored. I just finished brining up the following sites:If you are the owner of one of these sites and you need access to transfer files to them, contact Mark or Adam and we'll get you set back up.

We're currently looking into bringing the previous forum content (jive.dumpshock.com) back online, but there are some complications. We have all of the data, but there are capacity issues on the current server which may keep us from bringing it back up until after the new server is purchased and installed.
within a week, Neuron Basher had delivered on that promise:
QUOTE (Neuron Basher @ Mar 2 2005, 05:17 PM) *
The old Dumpshock Forum content (ie: Jive) is now available for viewing. The software that it runs on is horribly out of date, and the whole thing is kind of a kludge, but the data is there. There are a number of ssues with the site that will not be fixed, so don't bother reporting them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

All I care about with the Jive site is the most absolutely basic functionality -- any other fixes will require more time than I have to spend on it right now, but I figured it would be worthwhile to bring it up in ANY condition for the people that need/want that data.
So if Mark wasn't able to locate the backups, maybe Adam or Neuron knows where the physical servers are (at least two generations of servers held the data, and the services were virtualised by that point). Ideally we could recover:
  • warthog.dumpshock.com and then lists.dumpshock.com - ShadowRN UBB
  • invision.dumpshock.com and jive.dumpshock.com - previous forum
  • hlair.dumpshock.com
  • Pistons' (Elissa's) Dystopian Visions dystopian.dumpshock.com would be good too for completeness
  • some subdomains should just remain ancient history

Perhaps if there had been more backups distributed to more people, when inevitable atrophy removed a proportion each year, at least some would still remain. Because putting all your backups in the one basket is only a step away from not having backups. I know the community volunteered to help with this:
QUOTE (Mr. Man @ Oct 10 2006, 04:11 PM) *
I too have long wanted to view the old forums (both Jive and the even older UBB). There's a lot of gold in those hills.

Is getting them back up a task that might be sort of "outsourced"? Maybe send the files to a volunteer with the necesary skills and more spare time than the current forum admins have?

I'm sure we could find someone around here who fits that description...
This offer wasn't taken up, to my knowledge, so the community can't easily come to the rescue this time. No cure > prevention?

What? You don't believe that's legit? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)
I'll take a stab in the dark roughly in the vicinity of 30-December 06, give or take a few. Back when the skin / theme was blue. It became green and black in Feb 2008 when the SR4 forum got folded into the Shadowrun one. The old system there could have been the most recent server to host the jive content. It did still have the ShadowRN UBB (at lists.dumpshock.com) and that's worth salvaging.

QUOTE (Redjack @ May 19 2016, 12:22 AM) *
We have a dedicated VM at a cloud provider. We are currently on x86 Linux and moving to x64 Linux.
Please be sure there are at least two current off-site backups of all data before starting the upgrade (IMG:style_emoticons/default/embarrassed.gif) (see above). I'm sure I'm not the only one but I'm offering to be at least one node in a distributed RAID. Storage is cheap but information isn't. Would SSH access to a box with 2Tb of dedicated storage be more attractive than putting up an archive freelancers / Dumpshocked can download periodically? Would using SyncThing reduce the data load sufficiently? Prevention > cure?

Sadly, the 90's called and they want my bandwidth back.
... ... I can only tell that was not a clear "yes", but if there was any meaning apart from that, I can't figure it out.

+Quote Post
Redjack
post May 22 2016, 11:44 AM
Post #24

Man Behind the Curtain

QUOTE (Bodak @ May 22 2016, 06:21 AM) *
A number of times, Dumpshock have offered to proof-read and validate for free new source books
Been quite a while since that was an option, though on a positive note I am excited to see Ray heavily involved with production. I hope that extends not only to Missions, but across the entire product line. He is quite the bulldog as an editor.

successor(s)
Speaking of need for editing.

When circumstances changed for someone on the other side of the screen
I have a colleague who is both an avid Shadowrunner and a wage-slave decker by trade. It would be prudent to insure contingency planning with him. I will make that happen.

So if Mark wasn't able to locate the backups, maybe Adam or Neuron knows where the physical servers
The last I was told they were lost or in some cases removed at the owner's request. To be honest, I would restore any that the creator doesn't explicitly request be removed.

[*] some subdomains should just remain ancient history
Ancient History requested to have his dumpshock site turned down, despite my multiple personal requests to him to simply leave them. I understand that many people still are unhappy with that. I am as well, but I respect him too much not to honor his request.

Please be sure there are at least two current off-site backups...
This will be a side-by-side upgrade, not an in-place upgrade. I am confident in the migration. The worst case scenario will be working to tweak system settings for character set issues or changes in functionality due to a new version of PHP.

+Quote Post
Bodak
post May 22 2016, 02:43 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

So if a community member did pipe up now with a tarball of 2006's jive and warthog would you accept it?

If so, please clarify what dissuades you from taking advantage of the community for distributed backups of the current forum? If 100 community members took a backup now; ten years pass and only 10% of those people are still active and have their backup; that's still 100% more available backups than DSF might have at that point under your successor (or their successor, etc.) What's the disadvantage from your perspective? I'd like to understand.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 08:23 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.