IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> I need glasses…, and too poor to get them...
xizor
post May 17 2004, 02:41 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,501

So do people still wear glasses in 206x because they need to?
Would it be worth any points as a flaw, rather like the vision penalties for Cyclops?
Or should I just make it something that as flavor
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Zazen
post May 17 2004, 02:47 AM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

Yeah, I'd give it a point or two as a flaw, so long as there's some reason you avoid cybereyes and laser surgery and whatnot.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 17 2004, 02:49 AM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

Given that it's a pretty significant liability for someone who lives life as a runner, I'd make it worth a point as a flaw. If you get cyber eyes or laser surgery to correct it, you also have to pay karma to remove the flaw, naturally.

Has to be somewhat significant loss of vision compared to a normal person. Minor near sightedness really shouldn't register on the edge/flaw scale.

[edit]

And, yes, people in the future will still wear glasses, either because they don't want cybereyes or surgery or because they can't afford it.

This post has been edited by Arethusa: May 17 2004, 02:58 AM

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post May 17 2004, 02:53 AM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,158

I'd treat it as Oblivious for visual Perception Tests made while not wearing corrective lenses. Since it only affects one sense and can be corrected, it's only a -1 Flaw in my book, and you're going to have to check to make sure your glasses aren't destroyed every time you get hit in a fight or suffer any other kind of significant jarring effect.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 17 2004, 02:59 AM
Post #5

Runner

I'd double all range penalties for firing a weapon without them, as well.

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post May 17 2004, 03:04 AM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

Have you seen current glasses tochnology? Certain frames can withstand a few tons of force and recover, and the lenses are typically a high durability plastic. You should be forced to make quickness (or reaction) checks to see if you keep the glasses on, but only severe cases (or real glass lenses) should result in the need to roll for their destruction.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post May 17 2004, 03:11 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Arethusa)
I'd double all range penalties for firing a weapon without them, as well.

What if they're farsighted? :P

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 17 2004, 03:15 AM
Post #8

Runner

Still can't see those iron sights at close range. Either way, it's going to hurt.

And, yeah, glasses are not easy to destroy now. 60 years from now, I'd expect them to be many orders of magnitude tougher.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post May 17 2004, 03:29 AM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

What, no contacts??

I'd call it a 1 point flaw but speaking from experience, I think the greatest thing in the world would be to wake up in the morning and be able to see.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 17 2004, 03:39 AM
Post #10

Runner

QUOTE (kevyn668)
What, no contacts??

At least glasses can fall off and be put back on. In combat, contacts shatter in your eyes. You don't want that. Not to mention taht can easily slip out of place if you do a lot of moving around. There's a reason no military in the world allows contacts in combat.

QUOTE (kevyn668)
I'd call it a 1 point flaw but speaking from experience, I think the greatest thing in the world would be to wake up in the morning and be able to see.

I hear that. I like the way my glasses look on me, but I would absolutely love to be able to see like everyone else.

+Quote Post
Smiley
post May 17 2004, 03:45 AM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 6,191

QUOTE (Arethusa)
At least glasses can fall off and be put back on. In combat, contacts shatter in your eyes. You don't want that. Not to mention taht can easily slip out of place if you do a lot of moving around. There's a reason no military in the world allows contacts in combat.

Odds are, anything with enough force hard enough to shatter your contacts is going to pulp your eyeball no matter what. Besides, most people today wear the flexible soft contacts.

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post May 17 2004, 04:00 AM
Post #12

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

QUOTE (kevyn668)
What, no contacts??

Yeah, everybody gets two free contacts at chargen. That's one for each eye! What more do you need? :grinbig:

+Quote Post
Smiley
post May 17 2004, 04:01 AM
Post #13

Running Target

{Rimshot}

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post May 17 2004, 04:07 AM
Post #14

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

Sure, you could have contacts. However, prepare for a lot of trouble from eye irritants. Even regular smoke could be a problem, but CS or pepper spray... ouch.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post May 17 2004, 04:11 AM
Post #15

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

QUOTE (John Campbell)
QUOTE (kevyn668)
What, no contacts??

Yeah, everybody gets two free contacts at chargen. That's one for each eye! What more do you need? :grinbig:

Clever. I was waiting for that. :)

As a contact wearer I can atest that they'll mess with your vision at the most annoying times..shit, its like they know know or something. As for glasses, if a runner carried a pari of sport glasses with the strap thingy he could swap them out when the need arised. Just like packing Low Light or Thermo goggles.

+Quote Post
Smiley
post May 17 2004, 04:15 AM
Post #16

Running Target

Ok, ok, this is a teeeeny bit off subject, but it might outline why the military doesn't do contact lenses.

We all had to do our annual gas chamber and a guy in my shop left his contacts in. Yes, i know it was retarded. CS gas isn't exactly contact-friendly. He seemed to come out of it ok, though... much to everyone's surprise. We were wiping all the snot out of our masks and he walks up, contacts in hand, and asks where he can rinse them off. We pointed out a large bucket of water and he ambled off. Unbeknownst to us, though, that was the bucket the last group had rinsed out their masks in. CS gas isn't really gas, it's a bunch of teeny tiny crystals that float around and irritate your lungs. Apparently, it works in water, too. After wetting the lenses nicely, he popped them back in, took two steps, and started howling like he'd just been castrated. For the rest of the day his eyes looked like glowing red traffic lights. He didn't seem to think it was as funny as the rest of us for some reason...

+Quote Post
Apathy
post May 17 2004, 04:15 AM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 6,046

Yeah, everybody gets two free contacts at chargen. That's one for each eye! What more do you need?

Does a seeing-eye dog count as a contact? How about a seeing-eye dwarf? (They're about the right height for putting on one of those harness thingys.)

+Quote Post
Zazen
post May 17 2004, 04:48 AM
Post #18

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Arethusa)
Still can't see those iron sights at close range. Either way, it's going to hurt.

Smartlink targeting reticle :P

+Quote Post
Xirces
post May 17 2004, 07:42 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,046

QUOTE (Zazen)
QUOTE (Arethusa @ May 16 2004, 10:15 PM)
Still can't see those iron sights at close range.  Either way, it's going to hurt.

Smartlink targeting reticle :P

That's a damn good idea - SmartContacts™ so much more concealable than smartgoggles and available in any colour you choose.

+Quote Post
Omega Skip
post May 17 2004, 07:48 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,074

Glasses are most commonly used to correct near- or far-sightedness. There are other reasons why some people wear them, but I imagine they're rather rare. The thing is, if you look at how corrective eye surgery has progressed over the last few years, it would seem that by 2060, this kind of procedure would be both affordable and safe. No need for cybereyes to adjust your vision. I hear that even today, normal sighted people can get their eyes adjusted so they have even better vision, but that may be just rumours.

Still, you could get the "bad eye surgery" flaw: The character wanted to get his sight adjusted, and wound up with permanently damaged eyes. Of course, since Doctor Bob's Cool Eyes Booth has since closed down, the poor character can't even get a refund. Man, I really hate Doctor Bob!

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post May 17 2004, 08:05 AM
Post #21

Runner

Not much of a flaw when it's easily correctible by vat grown eyes. And, hell, if I'm a runner, that's where my first paycheck's going.

+Quote Post
Omega Skip
post May 17 2004, 09:17 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

True, it's easily rectified; might be a flaw for a very, very, very low-end, streetlevel campaign - you know, the kind where you earn maybe 50 ¥ per "run".

Heh, now there's a flaw idea:
Complicated patient (-1, -2, -3)
No matter where you go, you always seem to end up with the most klutzy streetdoc there is. Either that, or your body just wasn't meant for surgery. This flaw comes in 3 levels; each level is added to any biotech or other surgery-related TNs for a character trying to apply such a skill on the character who has this flaw.

That would go nicely with the Bad Eye Surgery flaw...

+Quote Post
Zazen
post May 17 2004, 09:59 AM
Post #23

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Arethusa)
Not much of a flaw when it's easily correctible by vat grown eyes. And, hell, if I'm a runner, that's where my first paycheck's going.

You just say that avoiding replacements is part of the flaw. It's not a big stretch for someone who had botched eye surgery to refuse to ever do it again.

+Quote Post
Xirces
post May 17 2004, 10:38 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,046

QUOTE (Omega Skip)
Heh, now there's a flaw idea:
Complicated patient (-1, -2, -3)
No matter where you go, you always seem to end up with the most klutzy streetdoc there is. Either that, or your body just wasn't meant for surgery. This flaw comes in 3 levels; each level is added to any biotech or other surgery-related TNs for a character trying to apply such a skill on the character who has this flaw.

That would go nicely with the Bad Eye Surgery flaw...

Whilst I like the idea, why do I get visions of hoards of cybered-up Sammies taking the reverse as an edge? :)

+Quote Post
Omega Skip
post May 17 2004, 11:09 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Just don't allow the Ideal Specimen edge. Or make it like this:

Ideal Specimen I, II, or III (1, 2, 3)
You, sir, are a perfect textbook example of human anatomy. In fact, some books even use you as their reference. Doctors would kill to have a patient as uncomplicated as you.
This edge comes in three levels; subtract the level from any TN for biotech or other surgery tests for characters who use such a skill on the person with this edge. This edge is not compatible with any physical flaws except "borrowed time".

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 05:28 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.