IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Using wireless modem/wiretaps, Is this possible??
Ninj
post May 26 2004, 02:45 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,506

Do wireless modems or some kind of wiretap exist in SR and if so can you use them to tap into and access computers and/or network cables??

Would a decker be able to do this?

The reason for this question is in my SR game a group of runners are planning to enter a think tank small corporation for some information and wanted to leave behind a way to access the corporation's computer(s) and/or network later on after exiting the building.

I guess a bad example would be from the Charlie's Angels movie.

Is something like this possible to do and if so what would a runner need as far as equip and to do on site at the corporation?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post May 26 2004, 02:51 PM
Post #2

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

I think something like this was mentioned in Target: Matrix and possible in Matrix 3.0

There is mention of decking through either Radio network or Cellular, but you gotta be good to doit, the Radio network is Orange Average and the cellular is Orange Average to Orange Hard and both have access modifier penalties that could potentially apply

+Quote Post
shadd4d
post May 26 2004, 02:52 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,230

In theory, you could patch in a wireless modem or tranciever with a radio and then use a radio link as detailed in Matrix. Or install a wireless modem into some workspace computer, assuming you have the time. Have it draw from the power supply but make sure you use it quick and that it can be turned on from the outside. Most won't think about stray radio signals until they look at the power bill, isolate the computer and take it apart.

Just take the guts (minus ringer) of a cell phone, patch it into the computer in question (Elec B/R) and then make sure to autodial it with your cell link on your cyberdeck. That's what makes sense to me.

Don

+Quote Post
nezumi
post May 26 2004, 03:04 PM
Post #4

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

Seems to me that you would be able to skip out of the first login test, since you're already a node in the system. Debatably, you could get user access, depending on the system setup. Otherwise, the only advantage is you can login even when the system is offline (not turned off, just disconnected from the matrix).

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post May 26 2004, 03:11 PM
Post #5

Chicago Survivor

I see, kinda like using the old laser emmitter connection, cotcha. A better movie reference IMHO is Real Genius, I like that movie better anyway.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post May 26 2004, 04:54 PM
Post #6

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

Dataline taps, described on pg. 290, are what you use to hack into a building's Host using a piece of the building's electronics. I imagine you could easily hook such a thing up to a cellphone, radio transceiver, laser link, what have you, and use it to deck by remote. How exactly you splice in the tap and how you log in (through Deception or "legitimate" password) determines the quality of the connection you get. See Matrix on the subject of different types of connections.

When I first read the description of decking in SR, I was immediately reminded of the movie Hackers. They both have that VR-ish flavor to them, both glamorize decking in odd ways, and both have similar "creative logic" regarding how computers actually work.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post May 26 2004, 04:57 PM
Post #7

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

You realize that Dataline taps are available in a transmitter variety, right? They're 1500 :nuyen: per rating point, as per the item description in SR3. Not sure if you need anything special to read them with, though. I generally assume that they come with both the transmitter and reciever components.

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post May 26 2004, 04:59 PM
Post #8

Chicago Survivor

I thought those were for interception only, not for jack-points

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post May 26 2004, 05:01 PM
Post #9

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

The description doesn't say that, and in fact hints at the opposite being the case :)

[edit]
QUOTE (SR3 @ p290)
Deckers can use this device to create an illegal jackpoint (see Jackpoints, p200). The rating of the tap must be equal to the MPCP of the deck being used.  The cost is Rating x 1,000:nuyen: (Rating x 1,500:nuyen: for transmitter models).
[/edit]

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post May 26 2004, 05:01 PM
Post #10

Chicago Survivor

Nifty, gotta remember that for some of my up-comming games

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post May 26 2004, 05:33 PM
Post #11

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

Be sure to get good broadcast encryption with that, though. :)

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post May 26 2004, 11:30 PM
Post #12

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

there is allso some talk about daisychaining connections in matrix, p 35. you can hook a ordinary dataline tap on to any kind of wireless device described in that book and use a correctly equiped deck to access it...

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 09:19 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.