Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Brass knuckles..., where are they?
Shev
post May 30 2004, 09:30 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,949

One of my players wants to use brass knuckles, but I can't find and entry for them in either the BBB or CC. Moreover, I'm not sure of what skill they'd use (although I'm guessing unarmed). Also, could you make them weapon foci?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Diesel
post May 30 2004, 09:35 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,955

Hardliner gloves are close enough, I think it's (STR+1)M, they're in CC under the designer armor stuff.

+Quote Post
Cain
post May 30 2004, 10:06 PM
Post #3

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

*looks around*

And yes, you can make them into weapon foci.

:noflame:

+Quote Post
Zeel De Mort
post May 30 2004, 10:07 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,175

Yep, hardliner gloves would do it. I can't think of anything else that would be similar to brass knuckles.

(Str+1)M Stun is correct, and they go off Unarmed Combat (or whatever unarmed melee skill you use). You could make a weapon focus out of gloves if you like, sure.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post May 30 2004, 10:33 PM
Post #5

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

Brass knuckles themselves should be available as a weapon. I'd give them the same damage rating as hardliner gloves and charge about 30-60 :nuyen: for them. Seems to make sense to me, at least...

[edit]Another one of those instances where SR has the "really nice" version of something without having the base model that should be more common on the streets. Something that's really common with cyberware items that should be available as gear. [/edit]

+Quote Post
Siege
post May 30 2004, 10:38 PM
Post #6

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

Amen brother, preach on.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post May 30 2004, 11:14 PM
Post #7

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

Actually, I'm of the opinion that brass knuckles should do *higher* base damage than hardliner gloves. Hardliners hardly weigh a thing; their power comes mostly from the ridgitity of the glove's knuckles. I'd expect real brass knuckles to have a bit more heft in them, and thus to be able to do more damage, but naturally they'd be less concealable.

Maybe for stats, say:
CODE
Weapon                      Conc Reach     Dam     W  Avail   :nuyen:  SI
Brass Knuckles               4    -    (S+2)M Stun 1  3/24    50    .5
Brass Knuckles (lead-filled) 3    -    (S+3)M Stun 2  3/24    200  .75

How's that look?

(Edit): Another reason I don't think this is too unreasonable: heavier bone lacing gives you up to (Str+4) base damage, just because it's heavy. I don't think it's too unreasonable to say that brass knuckles, being on the outside of the body instead of the inside, should have a comprable benefit.

+Quote Post
Kesh
post May 30 2004, 11:18 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,958

They certainly shouldn't do Stun damage. Those things are made for breaking jaws, after all!

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post May 30 2004, 11:25 PM
Post #9

Decker on the Threshold

Member No.: 6,156

Well, by that logic so should maces and staffs. I guess the rule is it does Stun unless it actually pierces flesh.

+Quote Post
KillaJ
post May 30 2004, 11:30 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,177

Seeing as every other blunt object in the game does stun, I think that stun damage is also appropriate for brass knuckles. Also stun damage isnt really any worse than physical. I think most people will agree that most of the time stun damage is actually preferable. After all it's not too tough to finish off the unfortunate bastard you just knocked out if you need to, but if for whatever reason you want him alive he is just as effectively out of the fight.

+Quote Post
Zeel De Mort
post May 30 2004, 11:35 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,175

Generally true. Although sometimes you might not really have the time to kill him after he falls unconcious. Also beware of people with pain editors and the like, pretty pesky guys!

Another bonus from doing stun damage is that all those goons with TD+PF will rack up the boxes a little quicker when it's stun.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post May 31 2004, 04:17 AM
Post #12

Dragon

QUOTE (Eyeless Blond)
Actually, I'm of the opinion that brass knuckles should do *higher* base damage than hardliner gloves.

Actually, I agree with you on that one. Leaving it with the same stats as hardliner gloves is a "quick fix" however, and doesn't require one to make up their own stats.

Certainly makes Vicious Blow a great martial arts manuever to take.

+Quote Post
A Rodent of Unus...
post May 31 2004, 04:46 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,354

Eh, it already does the same amount of raw damage as a club. How much more do you really think it should do?

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post May 31 2004, 05:53 AM
Post #14

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

I've been trying to figure out what a big metal spiky gauntlet would be for damage.

I'm talking like a Hellboy-sized gauntlet, with big knobby spikes on every striking surface.

I have to imagine it's more than a Hardliner glove.

+Quote Post
Fresno Bob
post May 31 2004, 05:59 AM
Post #15

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 4,252

Probably (Str+3)M

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post May 31 2004, 02:17 PM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Or maybe (Str+2)M Stun OR (Str+1L) Physical, similar to but weaker than the Spiked Mace.

+Quote Post
A Rodent of Unus...
post May 31 2004, 05:28 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

I think you mean (STR+3)L, yes? But since Hardliner Gloves set the baseline, I'd lean towards the (STR+2)M myself. Don't see why a bigger, badder weapon would create a lesser wound than Harderliners or even a sucker punch... especially when it's just an augmentation to an unarmed strike.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post May 31 2004, 05:44 PM
Post #18

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Nope, I didn't meant (Str+3)L. I would personally like to have a Spear do more damage than spiked gauntlets. Having thought more about it, I guess I'd actually rather have them at (Str+2)M Stun/(Str+2)L Physical, or (Str+2)M Stun/(Str)M Physical.

My reasoning: Worse than a mace for stun, but better than hardliner gloves. Worse than a spear or a sword for physical, about equal to a big knife.

But that's just me. You use whatever figures you like, of course. I have a habit of down-tuning the biggest and baddest melee weapons anyhow.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post May 31 2004, 05:45 PM
Post #19

Dragon

For the physical, just use the rules for bone lacing. Frankly, those rules should apply to all blunt weaponry.

+Quote Post
A Rodent of Unus...
post May 31 2004, 06:04 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Oh, my mistake. I was reading it as Stun damage in the above damage codes despite the Physical label. I need to get my eyes checked one day. Sorry.

+Quote Post
Traks
post May 31 2004, 06:16 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,685

QUOTE (A Rodent of Unusual Size)
Oh, my mistake. I was reading it as Stun damage in the above damage codes despite the Physical label. I need to get my eyes checked one day. Sorry.

Just replace with cybereyes.

On topic - yeah, I agree on not giving too high damage code. It is easier to make it bigger later than smaller. Besides mace SHOULD do more damage than knuckles.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 07:10 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.