IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The look, the feel..., The look of guns?
Coyote Mage
post Jul 12 2004, 07:45 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,467

I'm considering buying CC soon. Your opinions on it would be nice, but I'm mostly concerned about the look of the weapons of Shadowrun. I have a problem imagining how the guns look and how large they are. Concealability isn't really a good guide.

Are there any pictures in CC, any other canon books or on the web?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Jul 12 2004, 07:47 PM
Post #2

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

CC isn't the best resource for gun pictures, but it's not bad. Really, the German version of CC (Arsenal 2060) is packed with pictures of guns. That's the book to turn to if you want that... though many of them are just reprints of images from the 1e and 2e books like Street Samurai Catalogue, etc.

+Quote Post
RangerJoe
post Jul 12 2004, 07:52 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,897

I second that. The image, for example, of the Ares Alpha really looks a little bit too much like a Nerf foam dart gun. The descriptions of the firearms tends to be pretty good, though.

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Jul 12 2004, 07:58 PM
Post #4

Dragon

CC is well worth having, though. It's just that you don't get the look of guns from it as much as you get the rules for them.

A trend with most 3e rules books is to update the material presented in the old books in as little space as possible (something I personally aprove of). You might want to pick up Fields of Fire, Street Samurai Catalog, and Shadowtech (I think those are the only ones with guns in them... actually, I'm not sure all of them have guns in them). The rules aren't so useful, but the images can be.

+Quote Post
Cursedsoul
post Jul 12 2004, 08:02 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,689

If you want a good source for the CC order it from FRPgames.com. I got mine for like, $15.00. Basic shipping took about 10 days, but I also got a new copy of MM and the BBB to replace the ones my friend has and I can't get to. Of course my copy of MITS is now AWOL...I can't win. :(

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Jul 12 2004, 08:17 PM
Post #6

Dragon

Stiggybaby's is my usual online store preference. The price will be within $.50 after shipping is figured in, if it's not less than the other guy's.

And Stiggybaby's tends to ship you free booster packs from the SR card game along with SR orders. Not that I use them for anything, but they're fun to open. At least, they did.

[edit] Weirdness. FRPgames.com has similar prices to Stiggybaby's on SR products, but Stiggybaby's beats them handily for prices on WotC d20 stuff (well, the books I'm looking at). That's almost ironic (seeing as how one would expect the reverse given the companies and their apparent allegiances).

Weird. [/edit]

+Quote Post
shadd4d
post Jul 12 2004, 08:36 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,230

QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
CC is well worth having, though. It's just that you don't get the look of guns from it as much as you get the rules for them.

A trend with most 3e rules books is to update the material presented in the old books in as little space as possible (something I personally aprove of). You might want to pick up Fields of Fire, Street Samurai Catalog, and Shadowtech (I think those are the only ones with guns in them... actually, I'm not sure all of them have guns in them). The rules aren't so useful, but the images can be.

I have a copy of Arsenal 2060, and yes the picture are well worth it.

Then again, I do have Cannon Companion for players (how many SR players that are American speak and read German?)

Actually, the 3e German books are probably better than the American ones simply because they include most of the pictures (at least, looking at the German M&M).

Guns were originally in Corp Sec Handbook, FoF, SSC, Shadowtech (chem guns updated in Corp Sec), and of course, SR2.

Don

+Quote Post
Cursedsoul
post Jul 12 2004, 08:49 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

To Tinkergnome: Yeah, that's kind of odd. I was also looking at RPGshop.com. More expensive for the SR books, but the dice pouch I wanted was a buck cheaper. Of course I was also ordering something else that was fifty cents LESS than the same thing on RPGshop so the price was like, no different.

FPR was selling wood dice for 45 cents, RPGshop was like, 30. I guess this is why you're supposed to research before you pay. :D

I was awfully tempted to buy me some really pretty dice but decided that the ones I have would be angry, plus I really don't need any. I've already got far too many D6's.

I ALMOST bought me a D100 so I can prove to the the damnably ignorant and foolish that such things exist. Unfortunately momentary happiness wasn't worth the $7.00 or so I'dve spent. :)

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Jul 12 2004, 11:22 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

Yea, the lack of pictures bothers me a bit. I also miss the things like the downtown Seattle maps in the old rulebooks and Seattle guide. Things like that go a long way to make a game not just good, but great.

+Quote Post
Phaeton
post Jul 12 2004, 11:27 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,677

QUOTE (Cursedsoul)
To Tinkergnome: Yeah, that's kind of odd. I was also looking at RPGshop.com. More expensive for the SR books, but the dice pouch I wanted was a buck cheaper. Of course I was also ordering something else that was fifty cents LESS than the same thing on RPGshop so the price was like, no different.

FPR was selling wood dice for 45 cents, RPGshop was like, 30. I guess this is why you're supposed to research before you pay. :D

I was awfully tempted to buy me some really pretty dice but decided that the ones I have would be angry, plus I really don't need any. I've already got far too many D6's.

I ALMOST bought me a D100 so I can prove to the the damnably ignorant and foolish that such things exist. Unfortunately momentary happiness wasn't worth the $7.00 or so I'dve spent. :)

d100s also make marvelous tools for GM-to-player rule enforcement. They're similar enough to shotputs, anyway. :grinbig:

+Quote Post
hyzmarca
post Jul 12 2004, 11:32 PM
Post #11

Midnight Toker

Member No.: 6,456

The best way to understand the look and feel of Shadowrun guns is to look at real guns. Many of the guns in Shadowrun are based on modern weapons. THe Predator is basicly a Desert Eagle. The Warhawk is just a future version of the Redwawk. For the most part, future models will look fairly similar to past models. The more advanced weapons will have evolved from the concept guns of today and they'll be functionaly and cosmeticly similar. Modern guns are very reliable and there is little reason to change designs that work.

+Quote Post
Phaeton
post Jul 12 2004, 11:41 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,677

I always thought that the Predator was more like a Colt Delta Elite...Besides, SR2 already had a smartlinked version of the DE.

+Quote Post
Arethusa
post Jul 12 2004, 11:53 PM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 4,775

I really have to take issue with the supposition that SR's guns are similar to those in real life. Based on real life, yes. Bearing much more than a superficial resemblance, no.

+Quote Post
Cursedsoul
post Jul 13 2004, 12:17 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (Phaeton)
d100s also make marvelous tools for GM-to-player rule enforcement. They're similar enough to shotputs, anyway. :grinbig:

I think I'd prefer to scream "HOW DARE YOU DEFY MY RULINGS INFIDEL!" and chuck the BBB at them. :vegm:

+Quote Post
Link
post Jul 13 2004, 12:58 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,180

Guns were originally in Corp Sec Handbook, FoF, SSC, Shadowtech (chem guns updated in Corp Sec), and of course, SR2.

SR1 too. Some of these books are still for sale new (rather than just secondhand). Check the shadowrun rpg site for what you can buy.

Also look at the SR webring, some of these older books pictures are on various sites.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jul 13 2004, 04:00 AM
Post #16

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

This is going to sound goofy, but if you're over the age of 18, go by a gun shop and ask to examine one or more handguns.

Seeing them in movies, tv and RPGs doesn't really put things in perspective.

Having said that, there are a number of gun supplement books for RPGs with plenty of pretty pictures. Failing that, surf the web and put together your own picture compilation - although if the FBI comes knocking, don't mention my name. :grinbig:

-Siege

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jul 13 2004, 04:16 AM
Post #17

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

I agree with siege here, because seeing a gun like a DE.50 in a movie doesn't do it justice as to just how stupidly huge that guns is in real life.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Jul 13 2004, 04:34 AM
Post #18

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

http://magnumresearch.com/Videos.asp
You can get an idea of the stupid hugeness here.

http://matrix.dumpshock.com/raygun/firearm...s/navframe.html
Lotsa purdy pictures.

Like people have been saying, CC is not a good book for the look and feel of guns. It's generally better to get that IRL and use your own imagination for how that might relate to SR.

+Quote Post
Zazen
post Jul 13 2004, 04:36 AM
Post #19

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,123

I wouldn't even know where to find a gun shop, let alone have the 'nads to ask to play with expensive merchandise so I can know more about my role-playing-game. ;)

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jul 13 2004, 04:46 AM
Post #20

Dragon

I strongly recommend you not mention you're doing research for an RPG. :grinbig:

However, even just holding a singular weapon can revise a lot of absurdities in what is and isn't concealable.

And if you do, look at the ammo pouches.

While we're on the subject, a number of ranges will rent handguns by the hour for pretty reasonable rates.

Say $5 for the gun, $10 for a box of ammo and another $5 for ear and eye protection.

-Siege

+Quote Post
otomik
post Jul 13 2004, 04:55 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 752

QUOTE (Zazen)
I wouldn't even know where to find a gun shop, let alone have the 'nads to ask to play with expensive merchandise so I can know more about my role-playing-game. ;)

"Like a prick, you are having second thoughts. You are shrinking, and your two little balls are shrinking with ya. The fact that you've got "Replica" written down the side of your gun. (withdraws his gun) And the fact that I've got "Desert Eagle point five O" written on the side of mine, should precipitate your balls into shrinking, along with your presence." -Snatch

yeah i guess the .50 really does have that effect on some people...

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jul 13 2004, 05:30 AM
Post #22

Dragon

I've seen a DE .50 on the range.

Afterwards I saw the ad with Demi Moore holding one in each hand and firing.

I think it took me five minutes to stop laughing.

-Siege

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jul 13 2004, 06:04 AM
Post #23

QUOTE (Siege @ Jul 13 2004, 04:46 AM)
I strongly recommend you not mention you're doing research for an RPG. :grinbig:

However, even just holding a singular weapon can revise a lot of absurdities in what is and isn't concealable.

And if you do, look at the ammo pouches.

While we're on the subject, a number of ranges will rent handguns by the hour for pretty reasonable rates.

Say $5 for the gun, $10 for a box of ammo and another $5 for ear and eye protection.

-Siege

That's a lot more reasonable that where I live! It's about 30 for the gun and 5 for eyes and ears with 50 rounds included, and 10 bucks for another box of 50. or so.

Oh, and most ranges here will not rent .50 AE's or anything bigger than a 44mag really because too many people fire one or two shots then want their money back on the rental, or drop the gun. We already have enough fun with the occasional foreigner that shoots an automatic with their thumb resting on the back of the slide/hammer that injures themselves. Hilarity ensues. We get a LOT of business from people here on vacation that want to shoot cause they live in gun controlled countries and never get a good chance otherwise.

+Quote Post
Siege
post Jul 13 2004, 06:08 AM
Post #24

Dragon

The gun was absurdly cheap to rent - I'll have to double-check the price.

I think I surprised the guy behind the counter with my first time accuracy using a 9mm - but damn, the thing handles like a .22 rifle.

-Siege

Edit: You work at a range Bit? Or just hang out enough to qualify as a regular? :grinbig:

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Jul 13 2004, 06:19 AM
Post #25

No, I don't work there but I hang out a bit yeah :)

I spent a lot of time there this last week buying my new USP-40 compact and doing my shoots for my CCW. :D

Now I'm shopping around for a decent rifle to have some fun with...

And I disagree that a 9mm handles like a .22 unless it was something shoulder stocked Like this one that my dad picked up a year or so ago. (Which shoots real nice by the way)... But that's all personal preference. :)

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 12:01 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.