IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

13 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> [ShadowsOfEurope] Reviews, Let's hear what you think...
Synner
post Jul 12 2004, 09:42 PM
Post #1

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 185

I know at least one person's got it, so I'm opening up this thread for people to post their first impressions and hopefully full reviews. Whether you think its the second coming or that it stinks please let us know - and in the spirit of what's being done in other parts of this board, please, try to make the criticism constructive.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
otaku mike
post Jul 13 2004, 02:02 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 332

Come on people :)
You can't imagine how much we're all under pressure to know what you think of the book. For most of us, it's the first professional text published, and thus it has a special value in our eyes.
Don't let us on the grill any longer, please, someone has to speak :oops: :rollin:

+Quote Post
Adam
post Jul 13 2004, 02:25 AM
Post #3

Prime Runner

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 51

I can't believe Rob fucked up my name in the credits!

How's that? :)

+Quote Post
KosherPickle
post Jul 13 2004, 04:18 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,921

QUOTE (Synner)
I know at least one person's got it, so I'm opening up this thread for people to post their first impressions and hopefully full reviews. Whether you think its the second coming or that it stinks please let us know - and in the spirit of what's being done in other parts of this board, please, try to make the criticism constructive.

Apparently, my LGS hasn't gotten it yet, as I have received zero phone calls to tell me to come pick it up. Hopefully, I'll get it soon, and pound you mercilessly with criticism. :grinbig:

+Quote Post
Nath
post Jul 13 2004, 06:55 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,723

Hey Synner, with all the teasers you made, it's not like you wouldn't karmically deserve a little bit of play with your nerves :P

+Quote Post
Synner
post Jul 13 2004, 07:39 AM
Post #6

Runner

QUOTE (Adam)
I can't believe Rob fucked up my name in the credits!

I'd say it must have been a fun time at the FanPro Origins stand ;)

+Quote Post
Nikoli
post Jul 13 2004, 04:33 PM
Post #7

Chicago Survivor

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,033

Still waiting on my order to come in as well.

+Quote Post
Pistons
post Jul 13 2004, 07:32 PM
Post #8

Not Cameron Diaz

Member No.: 188

Well, Stiggybaby's now has it. Rejoice! Go buy it! :)

+Quote Post
Synner
post Jul 13 2004, 09:52 PM
Post #9

Runner

For the UKers and Europeans out there, Leisure Games will have it in by week's end.

+Quote Post
shadd4d
post Jul 13 2004, 10:28 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,230

Hmmm. According to a telephone call to F-Shop, they should be getting it around the same time. Anytime this week was what the guy told me. Right now, I wished I'd asked him his name.

Don

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Jul 13 2004, 10:58 PM
Post #11

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

It's horrible. Absolutely, completely awful. I wanted to sue the authors/publisher for wasted time and the urge to kill myself that it induced. Honest. ;)

+Quote Post
Synner
post Jul 13 2004, 11:01 PM
Post #12

Runner

So you have got it then ;)

+Quote Post
KosherPickle
post Jul 13 2004, 11:46 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

QUOTE (Pistons)
Well, Stiggybaby's now has it. Rejoice! Go buy it! :)

No need! My LGS called. I'm leaving in 30 minutes to go buy it.

On a side-note, I just noticed that Fast Forward put hella number of titles on markdown. 'Bout time I got me the Germany Sourcebook.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Jul 14 2004, 01:01 AM
Post #14

King of the Hobos

QUOTE (Synner)
For the UKers and Europeans out there, Leisure Games will have it in by week's end.

The site now says that they're expecting it in some time today (Wednesday).

+Quote Post
BIG BAD BEESTE
post Jul 14 2004, 02:43 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,274

QUOTE (FlakJacket)
It's horrible. Absolutely, completely awful. I wanted to sue the authors/publisher for wasted time and the urge to kill myself that it induced. Honest. ;)

Dear Diary - Hard Day, computer wouldn't save those bloody scans again. Spent way too much time on those boards again. Round The World In 80 Days was a fun film to see. NOTE: Seek out FlakJacket and torture him before utterly destrying the remains. Remember to pick up cash for ForumCon. :grinbig: :rotfl: :D

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Jul 14 2004, 07:19 PM
Post #16

King of the Hobos

Well my local shop got it in today so I'll post some more thoughts in a bit. :)

+Quote Post
Synner
post Jul 14 2004, 07:30 PM
Post #17

Runner

Great, yet another volunteer for a review! Word of caution... don't start with the UK. ;)

+Quote Post
Mr. Man
post Jul 14 2004, 07:34 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,015

In the immortal words of Ice Cube: Today was a good day.

The FLGS got my copy of SoE in and DOOM 3 is Gold.

I'm not much for actually reading RPG manuals (I use them as reference materials) so I don't expect to be posting a review, but I just wanted to say that I got it.

+Quote Post
Bull
post Jul 15 2004, 04:34 AM
Post #19

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

Quickie Review ala Bull:

Art: Cover art was excellent. Interior art was hit an miss. Some was excellent, some was sub-par, but overall, good.

Subject: I'm torn on the subject matter. There's a LOT of words in the book, and it's obvious that a lot of time went into writing them. Hell, as a freelancer, i know that years have been spent on this project. But... The fact that all the places covered were based in Europe, I found taht I simply didn;t care and wasn't interested.

I tried to force myself to read the book, but every paragraph I was struck by the simple fact that the writers were under serious delusions about their so-called "countries" (As if you can really call those tiny, ancient holes in teh ground a Country). I mean, they all seem to think that not only was their "country" important, but that anyone would want to play in them...

Pshaw, I saw. pshaw. The one country I wanted details on, Lithuania, barely even gets a mention! I expected at least 20 or 30 pages dedicated to it! They seriously dropped the ball there.

All in all, I'm sad to say I can only give the book a paltry 3 stars out of 10. Well.. Actually, I'll give it 5 stars, because Adam's sister Ada is hawt.

Actually... i just realized Bull the Ork Decker didn't get any posting time. Guess that drops it down to a 3 again... 1 point for art, 2 poinst for Ada. Ahh well.

<grin>

Bull -- Who actually likes it a lot. It'll make a good "thump" when I beat my players.

+Quote Post
booklord
post Jul 15 2004, 01:12 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,583

Got it yesterday.....

Skimmed through it but I'll probably do the heavy reading tonight.

I'm kind of dissappointed that Greece didn't get a chapter. It seems more interesting than some of those that did. Surrounded by unstable Balkan states. New corporate initiative causing economic transformation. More metavariants than you can shake a weapon foci at.

I read Poland which was interesting but I'm surprised that Lofwyr could be caught off guard that easily. To top it off Spinrad is still alive! I didn't realize that Lofwyr was having such problems.

I had no idea about Switzerland. I think the troll goat shaman former Swiss politician face character may have some canon problems. (kidding!) France is only half as oppressive as I thought it was. Schwartzkopf is interesting but you don't learn much about what the other dragons are up to. ( Or the info is there but requires a closer read )

My initial review is 7 out of 10. There is lots of good info but I found Shadows of North America to be somewhat better written. ( It may be that things are simply more cramped in this book ) But perhaps the biggest hurdle for me is that my Shadowrunner group just doesn't run in Europe. ( one character is from Europe but she's kind of not welcome back. A moon maiden shaman rock musician from Westphalia. What could they possibly have against her? )

+Quote Post
lorg
post Jul 15 2004, 01:25 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 625

So alot of countries didn't get included, that is what Shadows of Europe 2 is going to be for :)

So buy this, buy extra copies, wait two years or so and we'll get there.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Jul 15 2004, 02:30 PM
Post #22

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

QUOTE (booklord)
To top it off Spinrad is still alive!

one character is from Europe but she's kind of not welcome back. A moon maiden shaman rock musician from Westphalia. What could they possibly have against her?

Hahahahahahahahahaha!

<snicker>

+Quote Post
Basileus
post Jul 15 2004, 03:02 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 6,485

I am only about halfway through it currently, but so far I have found it interesting and well done. My only complaint is that I would have liked to see the corporate stats for the European AA's in the format we saw for the AAA's in Corporate Download and saw for Transys Neuronet in Dragons of the Sixth World. Other than that minor gripe, I am thoroughly enjoying the book. Good work and keep'em coming!

+Quote Post
Pistons
post Jul 15 2004, 04:53 PM
Post #24

Not Cameron Diaz

Member No.: 188

QUOTE (Basileus)
I am only about halfway through it currently, but so far I have found it interesting and well done. My only complaint is that I would have liked to see the corporate stats for the European AA's in the format we saw for the AAA's in Corporate Download and saw for Transys Neuronet in Dragons of the Sixth World. Other than that minor gripe, I am thoroughly enjoying the book. Good work and keep'em coming!

Actually, I have something just like that in my hands. It was from back when we were to have our own section in Games Unplugged, but it didn't pan out in the end. If there's enough interest, I'll send it for inclusion on the website.

+Quote Post
KosherPickle
post Jul 15 2004, 05:11 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

QUOTE (Basileus)
I am only about halfway through it currently, but so far I have found it interesting and well done.  My only complaint is that I would have liked to see the corporate stats for the European AA's in the format we saw for the AAA's in Corporate Download and saw for Transys Neuronet in Dragons of the Sixth World.  Other than that minor gripe, I am thoroughly enjoying the book.  Good work and keep'em coming!

You beat me to it. That's my one major complaint thus far. It's a little slow reading right now, but history always is. I expect the pace to pick up a little once I hit the country-specific chapters. I also plan on doing a review, but it'll be broken up into sections. One overarching review won't work for a book of this length.

+Quote Post

13 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 10:46 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.